Direct Damage and the Necro

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nepocrates.3642

Nepocrates.3642

Q:

When going through the Ascelon Catacomb our Necro said he could not do direct damage. now I know very little of a necro I have one that is level 5 so I have not real understanding of them.

What I could figure out is that our necro was speced for condition Can a Necro be built for direct damage?

Also I know that there are issues with all classes but what is great/good about the class?

Thanks

in Necromancer

Posted by: QSpec.4298

QSpec.4298

Yes, in both PvE and PvP a Necro can be spec’d for DD.

The problem is that it doesn’t typically feel very strong (and is often outshined by Condi).

I just finished about 20 levels (to include 2 dungeons) as DD (a mix of both axe and dagger) with an emphasis on DS.

I just moved to condition and am amazed at how much faster it is.

The same holds true but is even more amplified in PvP.

For fun DD in PvE, try a well/AoE build. Those are a good time.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Aga.8641

Aga.8641

A necro can be specced for direct damage, just like I can sky dive without a parachute…

in Necromancer

Posted by: Hexd.4796

Hexd.4796

I would not count Wells as DD; the cooldown is just too long. We fall behind other professsions because we lack DD from our normal weapon skills.

in Necromancer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

The main issue is really that the DD options for necro is either low DPS thanks to low fire rate (DS being as low as 1 second pr shot, with staff #1 not far behind) or require the necro to go melee. Wells, while potentially high damage, are DoTs and fixed location with a long cooldown. meaning that enemies are more likely to just walk out of the AOE unless someone is willing to stay there and goad them into remaining. They work wonders for open world mob cleaning if you drop suffering and darkness at the same time (tho you can only do that once every minute or so).

in Necromancer

Posted by: DoctorWhy.3847

DoctorWhy.3847

Lich Form can do some awesome DD. Couple that with the Mesmer speed bubble thingy, and you can kitten But, it has a somewhat long cooldown, so it isn’t reliable 100% of the time. Other than that, anything else can pretty much out DD us.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nepocrates.3642

Nepocrates.3642

Thanks for the enlightenment. I am beginning to understand what our necro was talking about

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dibrom.6408

Dibrom.6408

If you’re referring to the burrows part of it, have his stand and protect the NPC.

I hate there are game mechanics we simply can’t do.

Arenanet: The paragon of truth.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ammandril.9150

Ammandril.9150

The main problem is that people don’t know how to play direct damage necromancer. Personally, played both the builds, and I find direct damage more interesting and fungiving. Also it’s more supportive for the team(when you build him right obviously ).

Referring to pvp atm, just to mention.
Both the specs have pros and cons.
As a pvp hc player I don’t think direct damage necro needs any kind of buff for now. He’s doing well. But shatterer mesm nerf would be nice = D
Yep, I’m playing necro.

in Necromancer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

And there in may lay the main issue. What works in small group PVP may not work out at all in WvW or PVE scenarios.

in Necromancer

Posted by: pixelrevision.5192

pixelrevision.5192

@Nepocrates
A necro can be specced for power, but condition damage is fun and viable. I did all 3 paths of AC last night and the only place condition spec poses an issue is the burrows fight. For now in events where you have to target static elements (turrets, burrows) it’s best for that person to find something else to do, like what Dibron posted above. This is short term though as Anet have said in another thread that they are working on scaling in condition for these types of items, they just have not figured out how that will be implemented.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Chronologist.9782

Chronologist.9782

@Nepocrates

Can’t put condition on burrows so condition spec necro, condition spec necro can switch weapon to let’s say dagger or axe or staff and auto attack but lmao necro direct damage with same gear compared to elem is like 20-25% off for auto attack

in Necromancer

Posted by: Elmentcius Koronel.6234

Elmentcius Koronel.6234

There are some direct damage stuff on necro such as Dagger MH, Lich Form, DS #1 and #4 and wells. But compared to condition build + epidemic, direct damage is nothing.

Epic epidemic is epic.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Aga.8641

Aga.8641

Epic epidemic is epic.

For WvW and dungeons maybe. For PvP it’s crap.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Elmentcius Koronel.6234

Elmentcius Koronel.6234

I agree. Epidemic is best used against zerg-type enemies.

in Necromancer

Posted by: ens.9854

ens.9854

I have been having success using knight amulet/zerker jewel and superior fire sigil with a marks/DS build in spvp; more success than with a condition build. Recharges life force fast so you can really grind players down over time.

Condition necros basically nerf themselves to all hell by going into DS; which is completely unintuitive. Either ruin your damage or ruin your survivability? DS needs some alteration. (instant fear is OP though).