Disease

Disease

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

Although I’ve mentioned this multiple times in other posts, I never dedicated a topic to just this. So I will suggest this if it hasn’t already been suggested. And even if it has, well doesn’t hurt to suggest it a second or even third time.

Disease back in GW1 was the most hated and feared degen condition in the game. Although people feared burning, they knew it wouldn’t last very long, often no longer then 2-3 seconds. Disease could last a duration of 20-30 seconds and would cause far more harm because it would just spread to all creatures of the same type. It was hated because if you brought it, all the melee classes in your party hated you because you made them that much easier to kill, and the opponents all hated you because now they have to deal with trying to control disease.

For all its flaws, it was a unique and flavorful condition that could only be used by the necromancer and later the dervish. Combining it with poison or bleeding was something the necromancer could easily do, with either of them paired with one another the degen out matched burning.

My suggestion is to return disease to GW2 with a makeover. The damage calculation for it would probably be similar to calculating poison. so 4+level (0.25*condition damage) should be a decent amount of damage to really make it noticeable. At 1500 condition damage at level 80 this would be four hundred and fifty five damage per second. The second change it so that it would only spread to foes and not to care if those foes are of like species.

Giving the necromancer access to this condition would help to solve one of there problems with having a high damage condition to cover their bleeds while still helping them in a situation where they are outnumbered without having to always bring epidemic. Although I don’t think this condition will fix the necromancer’s condition build alone, I do believe that it will begin to push them in the right direction while giving them something that will help them in the 2v1s or 3v1s punishing foes for getting too close to each other and dogging the necromancer.

PS: I had to type out the damage that the disease would deal rather then typing the numbers because the forums thought it was a swear word. o.O

(edited by Lily.1935)

Disease

in Necromancer

Posted by: Unpredictability.4086

Unpredictability.4086

Disease back in GW1 was the most hated and feared degen condition in the game."

I think somebody is being more than a little dramatic.

Disease

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

Disease back in GW1 was the most hated and feared degen condition in the game."

I think somebody is being more than a little dramatic.

Note that I said most hated and feared degen condition. not condition all together. And it was the most hated condition, easily. The most feared condition was Daze. But its hard to compete with a condition that can completely destroy an entire group with one target.

And honestly, there where only 4 degen conditions so.. Didn’t have much to compete with.

Disease

in Necromancer

Posted by: ReMortis.4287

ReMortis.4287

I always thought that if Necro got such a unique condition like that it should be called “Decay” instead of “Disease” or other such names. As everything can decay, but not be diseased. Then again there’s bleeding for golems/rocks/ghosts and stuff. So it’s mostly a flavor preference for me.

On topic: I agree with all that, Necro should get something exclusive similar to how Warriors get Impale. Stacks duration with itself or any other necros that use such skill. Or would intensity be better? But on a longer cooldown to skills that give access to it? So that the if your opponent does not remove it by the time you’re able to cast the 2nd stack they’ll start taking even more damage. Whatever works best for balance.

I am The No.

Disease

in Necromancer

Posted by: Budg.3064

Budg.3064

So it would be a condition that spread itself to other enemies if they got too close to each other? Sounds great in theory, but I can see this getting nerfed like confusion and retaliation were after a while.

Disease

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

I always thought that if Necro got such a unique condition like that it should be called “Decay” instead of “Disease” or other such names. As everything can decay, but not be diseased. Then again there’s bleeding for golems/rocks/ghosts and stuff. So it’s mostly a flavor preference for me.

On topic: I agree with all that, Necro should get something exclusive similar to how Warriors get Impale. Stacks duration with itself or any other necros that use such skill. Or would intensity be better? But on a longer cooldown to skills that give access to it? So that the if your opponent does not remove it by the time you’re able to cast the 2nd stack they’ll start taking even more damage. Whatever works best for balance.

decay isn’t contagious. And even if it was it would be a flesh eating disease. So disease still works. In GW1 disease simulated the spread of influenza. And it was very flavorful in that regard.

And if a condition simulated decay, Necrosis would be a far cooler name then just decay. And People would actually take the time to look up what necrosis is so they would learn something new.

Disease

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

So it would be a condition that spread itself to other enemies if they got too close to each other? Sounds great in theory, but I can see this getting nerfed like confusion and retaliation were after a while.

A fancy dot is still a dot. It doesn’t matter how many bells or whistles is put on it, it is still just a dot. Retaliation and confusion are far more complex, and lead to stats of inaction. Which from what I hear, inaction is a bad thing from a game play perspective.

Disease

in Necromancer

Posted by: ReMortis.4287

ReMortis.4287

decay isn’t contagious. And even if it was it would be a flesh eating disease. So disease still works. In GW1 disease simulated the spread of influenza. And it was very flavorful in that regard.

And if a condition simulated decay, Necrosis would be a far cooler name then just decay. And People would actually take the time to look up what necrosis is so they would learn something new.

Disease and Necrosis still imply a biological component to those afflicted, not always the case with the enemy types we face. Decay is universal. That was my point.

And as great as the self-spreading mechanic seems in concept, I really doubt ANet would work it into any condition of ours. That’s what we have epidemic for.

I am The No.

Disease

in Necromancer

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

I don’t know, it was a lot of fun back in the old days. If they implement this I hope it is super flavorful and Necromancer exclusive.

Disease

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

I’m going to reply to this second part because I forget to before. Having a condition like disease stack in intensity would be broken beyond believe. Imaging that disease did half the damage of bleeding. Imagine that it stacked up to 25 times. Okay, so it does half what bleeding does, doesn’t sound too bad. Well Now look at how the condition works. Each new stack of disease would spread individually form each other. So lets say you put 3 stacks of disease on one foe in a group of nine. Okay, so now all 9 foes have 3 stacks of disease because of 1 target. Well now use epidemic. You spread 3 new stacks of disease between each of the other 8. You just caped the disease on everything without even trying, not to mention any bleeding or poison you might have had.

I’m not sure this is exactly what you where talking about, but this is why I don’t believe it would be a good idea to have disease stack in intensity. Duration, sure.

Disease

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

Disease and Necrosis still imply a biological component to those afflicted, not always the case with the enemy types we face. Decay is universal. That was my point.

And as great as the self-spreading mechanic seems in concept, I really doubt ANet would work it into any condition of ours. That’s what we have epidemic for.

I understand where you are coming from. Its a preference thing. I would rather have the enemies more complex with real depth to there skills and attacks. But this isn’t guild wars one. Earth elementals can bleed, golems can be poisoned, fireballs hit fire elementals pretty hard.

The problem with that idea of “That is what epidemic is for.” is this locks a player who might want to use a condition build but doesn’t want to bring epidemic into using epidemic regardless. I would much rather see a diversity of ways they can spread conditions rather then relying on one skill as good as it may be.

I personally believe that arena net have considered disease already, and if it isn’t going to be in this upcoming patch it will be some where later down the line.

Disease

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

I don’t know, it was a lot of fun back in the old days. If they implement this I hope it is super flavorful and Necromancer exclusive.

As far as what professions would use it? I can’t see anyone else besides ranger really using disease. And I would imagine it would be on a rat pet or something and they wouldn’t have very much access to it.

Disease

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Also, its been confirmed we aren’t getting Disease, at least for now. Torment is the new condition, although it might be possible Disease makes its way in in the future.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

Disease

in Necromancer

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

As far as being flavorable I think it would be neat if it played off of poison. Building stacks and intensity until poison evolves into disease.

Disease

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

As far as being flavorable I think it would be neat if it played off of poison. Building stacks and intensity until poison evolves into disease.

poison and disease are not the same thing. It would be bizarre more then it would be flavorful. But the argument “@#$& YOU, Magic!” is always a option.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disease