Doesn't our Scepter GM seem... bad?

in Necromancer

Posted by: TheDevice.2751

TheDevice.2751

+150 condition damage
+50% condition duration.

Can we lose the condition duration for something else? Condition duration seems very redundant half the time and condi’s never really last before they are cleared or flipped.

Like how about something interesting lol. Something that adds a bit of function to the scepter. Some GM weapon traits on classes give knockdown, or piercing or some other stuff.

Maybe a knockback or some other type of hard cc.

And why give scepter a GM trait? Shouldn’t GM’s be reserved for two handed weapons? I think Staff should have a GM trait with some beefy bonuses.

what do you guys think?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

no? lol it’s a very strong trait. condi duration increases dps A LOT.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Other classes often get only one of those options, usually tying up two traits in the lower tiers in two different lines to achieve the same result as this. How is it bad?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ralkuth.1456

Ralkuth.1456

Staff actually got a built-in CD decrease implemented already, and making it unblockable and +3% LF is extremely useful in situations outside of PvE. What more would you suggest?

Lingering Curse has been there for 5 years… it’s a very strong trait for PvE as you’ll get noticeably more bleed stacks on the target. While the presence of Reaper Shroud and its insane combo stacks has diluted this GM trait somewhat, in a large-group situation where self combo Chilling Bolts is unreliable, Lingering Curse is still the way to go.

In PvP situations it’s much better to take Weakening Shroud anyway, and it clears blinds for your key skills/corrupts a boon/applies weakness and bleeding; a lot more useful since as you say, condi’s will get cleansed or converted.

5 useless class titles
Carrying enemy team since 2012
“Multiclass implies you can actually play the class” – a certain royalty

(edited by Ralkuth.1456)

in Necromancer

TheDevice.2751

Sounds fair then. Thanks for the feedback

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

It is strong, especially considering that this +50% doesn’t count towards the +100% condi duration cap!

in Necromancer

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

It is strong, especially considering that this +50% doesn’t count towards the +100% condi duration cap!

THIS. So much THIS.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Specifically, it applies before the condition duration stat is even applied. Say you have +100% condition duration. Without Lingering Curse, your conditions would last 200% of the unmodified value. With Lingering Curse, they last 300% of the unmodified value (not 250%).

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

THIS. So much THIS.

It doesn’t even affect Shroud damage.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

I wonder what might possibly be the reason for that

Fishsticks

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Maybe because you don’t wield a scepter when you are in shroud…

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

It is terrible in pvp

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

It is terrible in pvp

Curses is pretty perfect when it comes to the 3rd trait pick. You got 1 for pve (lingering curse), 1 for pvp (weakening shroud) and 1 for wvw (parasitic contagion).

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

in Necromancer

bearshaman.3421

THIS. So much THIS.

It doesn’t even affect Shroud damage.

What Dadnir said. It is only in effect when the scepter is wielded. DS or RS is basically a different weapon set.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

It is terrible in pvp

pvp? this is still a thing?

What Dadnir said. It is only in effect when the scepter is wielded. DS or RS is basically a different weapon set.

while RS does make you wield ascended hammer, DS takes traits and weapon strength from currently equipped weapon, even though DS “weapon” is a staff. this is something RS had fixed but DS was never revisited. which means lingering curse will work in DS if you enter it with scepter, but it won’t work in RS.

(edited by Sublimatio.6981)

in Necromancer

Posted by: cobracommander.5861

cobracommander.5861

it’s a pve trait… straight and simple. definitely not optimal for pvp/wvw

Darth
Necro
CD-FA-TC-HoD-SoS-TC-FA-SBI-SoS-JQ-ET-SFR-FA-DR

in Necromancer

TheDevice.2751

It is terrible in pvp

I tend to forget that pvp isn’t the only mode in this game when I make statements like this.

Generally, when I pve im just soloing, running around mindlessly completing meta events in HoT maps. =/

I usually run power builds in all modes anyways.

in Necromancer

Posted by: InsaneQR.7412

InsaneQR.7412

+150 condition damage
+50% condition duration.

Can we lose the condition duration for something else? Condition duration seems very redundant half the time and condi’s never really last before they are cleared or flipped.

Like how about something interesting lol. Something that adds a bit of function to the scepter. Some GM weapon traits on classes give knockdown, or piercing or some other stuff.

And why give scepter a GM trait? Shouldn’t GM’s be reserved for two handed weapons? I think Staff should have a GM trait with some beefy bonuses.

what do you guys think?

I would say mesmer scepter trait is worse. This gives you 50% more condi duration, thats awesome for condi playstyle.

Pale Raiders united.
9 Sylvari, 9 unique Builds.

in Necromancer

Posted by: steelheart.7386

steelheart.7386

Spoken like a pve hero.

in Necromancer

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Spoken like a pve hero.

You do know that this is the Necromancer forum, right?

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Necromancer

Lahmia.2193

Spoken like a pve hero.

While I want Anet to focus more on WvW, I very much understand pve will always be the main focus of the game in an MMO. Maybe you should understand this too.

in Necromancer

bearshaman.3421

Spoken like a pve hero.

While I want Anet to focus more on WvW, I very much understand pve will always be the main focus of the game in an MMO. Maybe you should understand this too.

I would argue that they haven’t focused on pve anymore than they have on the other game types. I suppose you could argue that they haven’t done skill splits for WvW, but then that is a mix of pve and pvp (since you are working alongside a lot of other people against a lot of other people and it’s not about personal glory like pvp is). So I’m not sure how that works.

Does WvW get the pvp or the pve versions of stuff? I feel like it should get the pvp version, but not sure…

in Necromancer

Lahmia.2193

Spoken like a pve hero.

I would argue that they haven’t focused on pve anymore than they have on the other game types. I suppose you could argue that they haven’t done skill splits for WvW, but then that is a mix of pve and pvp (since you are working alongside a lot of other people against a lot of other people and it’s not about personal glory like pvp is). So I’m not sure how that works.

Does WvW get the pvp or the pve versions of stuff? I feel like it should get the pvp version, but not sure…

Most of the time, wvw gets the pve version of the skill rather than pvp. But it isn’t always the case.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

+150 condition damage
+50% condition duration.

what do you guys think?

I love the scepter GM, admitedly, to make it more optimal it’d be nice if that duration was scaled back a bit to maybe 25-30% range and something else was added to it for that trade off.

50% is quite too much and makes it too impractical to run builds that do not exceed condi duration caps on bleeds.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in Necromancer

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

I love the scepter GM, admitedly, to make it more optimal it’d be nice if that duration was scaled back a bit to maybe 25-30% range and something else was added to it for that trade off.

50% is quite too much and makes it too impractical to run builds that do not exceed condi duration caps on bleeds.

I have some great news: “Only the base durations are increased, thus not counting towards the maximum condition duration.”

That is, you can’t overcap duration due to that GM, it applies to the base duration which is then extended by the condition duration.

That is, not only do you not overcap, this is a separate multiplier, so it effectively double-dips on duration, meaning that you get 3x the (original) base duration with 100 percent condition duration, rather than 2×.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

I have some great news: “Only the base durations are increased, thus not counting towards the maximum condition duration.”

That is, you can’t overcap duration due to that GM, it applies to the base duration which is then extended by the condition duration.

That is, not only do you not overcap, this is a separate multiplier, so it effectively double-dips on duration, meaning that you get 3x the (original) base duration with 100 percent condition duration, rather than 2×.

Nice !

I didn’t realize that. Everyone always told me it gets you over the cap. I was running Krait runes back in the day with this GM and I had some rediculous durations on my tooltip around 32 and 36 secs if I remember correctly. But I was told that those are incorrect and I am actually over the duration cap.

Right now I’m running nightmare runes, so my scepter 2 is 26-28 secs, depending which food etc. I use.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in Necromancer

Lahmia.2193

Nice !

I didn’t realize that. Everyone always told me it gets you over the cap. I was running Krait runes back in the day with this GM and I had some rediculous durations on my tooltip around 32 and 36 secs if I remember correctly. But I was told that those are incorrect and I am actually over the duration cap.

Right now I’m running nightmare runes, so my scepter 2 is 26-28 secs, depending which food etc. I use.

Generally speaking, traits that increase a particular weapon’s condition duration do not count towards the duration cap. Lingering Curse for necro, Chemical Rounds for Engineer etc.

in Necromancer

Posted by: CynicalFred.9135

CynicalFred.9135

There’s not enough “NOOOOOOOOOO!” in the world to cover this post.
Conditions deal damage per second. More seconds mean not only more damage for free but you can now stack them higher because they’ll last longer and allow you to have more stacks on at once.
And then it gives you condition damage which is yet further damage for free.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Brujeria.7536

Brujeria.7536

Yeah numberwise it’s very potent. But the thing is the scepter conditions baseline are rather weak compared to other condi weapons. I feel like scepter pretty much sucks without this trait in all game modes, with this trait it gets slightly above average, and this isnt good. A weapon should feel good by itself and awesome with a grandmaster trait. Grandmaster Traits where supposed to greatly impact the way you play, a bare number increase on a weapon doenst seem to justify this.