Ex necromancer thinking about returning

in Necromancer

Posted by: Al Masone.1274

Al Masone.1274

Hello all,
I played gw2 since its release, with some pause in the last couple years, and finally stopping last year. My reason was, that even if the game itself was nice, with all its modes, the professions weren’t very appealing to me. Almost always in rpg I like to play the class who summons minions to do a good amount of its damage, better yet if they’re undead minions.
This was the reason I started playing this game, but then I saw that minions were badly coded, and usually were just dead weight. I still like the game enough to play it quite often, while also trying a lost of the builds available to the necromancer. But it always annoyed me it wasn’t possibile to use all minions in a effective way.
Personally, it was kinda frustrating, since I preferred a necron with an undead army, rather than one who pops black-green circles.

So I’d like to ask if right now an MM necro might fare any better. If not in Raids and fractals, where I can only assume it’s still shunned because of low dps, at least in WvW, which was the mode I liked the most.

I’d like to surround myself with minions, but it’s not as fun if that means that I become a free kill and/or provide nothing to a group of players.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Methuselah.4376

Methuselah.4376

If you want to surround yourself with an army of strong undead minions…Guild Wars 2 is not the game for you. Try Guild Wars 1; you use corpses to birth your minions and while individually they are weak, with enough numbers you can overwhelm almost any force. Indeed in Guild Wars 1 a minion master could out damage any other party member, even nuker Elementalists. Of course the draw back is the reliance on corpses which not every single enemy leaves behind. Also, minions suffer from increasing health degeneration which in turns makes them ideal when you’re going from fight to fight rather than having long pauses between each fight. You do of course have powerful minion heal skills (the strongest of which can kill you if you’re not careful) but that can be a serious drawback.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

It’s free for you to log in and try it yourself. Only you can determine if it works for you.

in Necromancer

Posted by: mazut.4296

mazut.4296

There is no such thing as ex-necromancer.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

In Raids, Fractals and general PvE it is optimal to run with healing minion, the devourer one and in some very specific situations also flesh wurm.

You can also substitute Suffer for Shadow Fiend if you want (the dps difference is microscopical, but then again Suffer/Flesh Wurm is only taken when Epidemic isn’t applicable.
Note the Shadow Fiend ability needs to be timed correctly to match Suffer dps – the chill from blind has 3 sec cd and you’re using other blinds in the rotation – usually you need to use the minion ability before entering shroud).

As for elite, Plaguelands is the best but Golem is a good CC and isn’t a dramatic dps loss (about 1k+)

(edited by Sublimatio.6981)