Explanation for Death Shroud nerf?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

As the title states. What was the reasoning behind the death shroud nerf? Necro have no real escapes outside dodge…I don’t see the reasoning with this…

in Necromancer

Posted by: TheStarflyer.9641

TheStarflyer.9641

The master classes were unpleased with the necromancer’s sudden leap to viability.. so we got the nerf hammer…

The Miasma-Human Necromancer
play pvp with me

in Necromancer

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

People complain healing is useless in PVE so we make that become necessary for you guys

in Necromancer

Posted by: Pelopidas.2140

Pelopidas.2140

Nerf hammer may be about the terror nerf, the ds nerf is to make gameplay more challenging, to make you stay on your toes in ds. We got life force gain buff in 3-4 skills, so we have learn to use em and refill ds faster

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dhogoth.1856

Dhogoth.1856

All that i can understand is :

" Well, do you wanna play a necro? So just face roll and have fun, because when you get a hard hit you can do nothing!"

Brazillian guild: White Raven

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kratos.6293

Kratos.6293

We should keep fighting back.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

The explanation is a simple one:

They needed the extra income off OUR repair bills to offset the reduction in Way Point cost, or reduced black lion chest keys cost. Enjoy your free living story content update …

in Necromancer

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

Necros can’t suicide-jump off cliffs anymore. That’s about the only real DS-nerf here.

On the other hand, they fixed a bug that apparently was letting Necros take more damage from direct attacks while in DS. So I’d say the survivability is now INCREASED. Not even talking about the faster generation of life force through spectral skills and axe 2.

in Necromancer

Posted by: TheStarflyer.9641

TheStarflyer.9641

Necros can’t suicide-jump off cliffs anymore. That’s about the only real DS-nerf here.

On the other hand, they fixed a bug that apparently was letting Necros take more damage from direct attacks while in DS. So I’d say the survivability is now INCREASED. Not even talking about the faster generation of life force through spectral skills and axe 2.

Spoken like someone who has never played a necro… go back to ele or guard, leave the skilled players alone…

The Miasma-Human Necromancer
play pvp with me

in Necromancer

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

Spoken like someone who has never played a necro… go back to ele or guard, leave the skilled players alone…

Actually, Necro is one of the classes I play quite frequently. I didn’t touch my lvl 30 Ele or my lvl uhm… 14 (I think) Guardian for at least two months.

Edit: Talking about skilled; it appears to me that you’re not one of the “skilled players” if you don’t see the facts. Even if you should have to face-tank a big attack of a boss for some weird reason, it will actually do less damage as before, because they fixed the bug that did make you take more direct damage while you are in DS.

(edited by Saturn.6591)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

Actually, Necro is one of the classes I play quite frequently. I didn’t touch my lvl 30 Ele or my lvl uhm… 14 (I think) Guardian for at least two months.

I am not as harsh as others. I’ll only ask you to play CoE with your necro, fight subject alpha in melee (as we all know that’s the easiest way) without vigor nor endurance food.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Troll.4237

Troll.4237

THEY MADE GREATER MARKS A MASTER TRAIT! kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kitarity.8976

Kitarity.8976

Not too sure about others but taking out the DS fall damage is drastically going to reduce my WvW survivability. All the other classes seem to have some way of escaping from unfavourable fights e.g. Thief speed/stealth, Mesmer blinks, and so on, jumping off of cliffs was the one thing I looked forward to. God kitten it ANet, took away one of the most fun aspects as a Necro.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kajin.5301

Kajin.5301

Edit: Talking about skilled; it appears to me that you’re not one of the “skilled players” if you don’t see the facts. Even if you should have to face-tank a big attack of a boss for some weird reason, it will actually do less damage as before, because they fixed the bug that did make you take more direct damage while you are in DS.

Going into DS before a big incomming hit (backstab/mighty blow/evisc/boss’ OHKO) would make you effectively ‘dodge’ it, even if you had only 5% pool. Now you will eat all the dmg as it overflows out of DS. That’s why he called on you being not-skilled. This is not only a jump-off-cliffs nerf, it’s a definately survivability nerf since we didn’t get any evade/invul/escape tool replacement. Check wiki for Evade/Invul/Block/, guess who’s missing at the party.

Skysap & Qaju & Juqa -VILE- Desolation

in Necromancer

Posted by: Spectrals.4682

Spectrals.4682

gg anet, protesting by staying at the bottom of Rata Sum untill you stop stomping on necros…

YOLO … Yea, right until you respawn

in Necromancer

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

Going into DS before a big incomming hit (backstab/mighty blow/evisc/boss’ OHKO) would make you effectively ‘dodge’ it, even if you had only 5% pool. Now you will eat all the dmg as it overflows out of DS. That’s why he called on you being not-skilled. This is not only a jump-off-cliffs nerf, it’s a definately survivability nerf since we didn’t get any evade/invul/escape tool replacement. Check wiki for Evade/Invul/Block/, guess who’s missing at the party.

You need at least 10% life force to get into DS.

I find it heavily unlikely that everyone complaining about this actually used a sliver of life force to soak up a big hit. The way people are crying it sounds like some people could absorb every backstab and always generate 10% life force on a whim to block everything.

Most if the time it’s probably soaking 1k damage, and hardly ever these huge hits.

in Necromancer

Amun Ra.6435

I find it heavily unlikely that everyone complaining about this actually used a sliver of life force to soak up a big hit. The way people are crying it sounds like some people could absorb every backstab and always generate 10% life force on a whim to block everything.

Most if the time it’s probably soaking 1k damage, and hardly ever these huge hits.

There was just no reason to touch DS, not in the least…there is zero logic in it. I can guarantee you that no Dev is willing to give any reasoning behind this change…

in Necromancer

Posted by: mintkola.3756

mintkola.3756

ever played against lupi?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

Don’t expect them to come in here anytime soon. They’re too busy soaking up the praise from the meta classes to pay attention to us lowly peasants.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Azraeel.1238

Azraeel.1238

That’s because you are thinking in PvP style, think using PvE, and you will see a HUGE difference.

80 Necromancer (Main) | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 80 Warrior
Engineer and Elementalist in progress…

in Necromancer

Posted by: Softspoken.2410

Softspoken.2410

As the title states. What was the reasoning behind the death shroud nerf? Necro have no real escapes outside dodge…I don’t see the reasoning with this…

They didn’t want a Necromancer to counter a one-shot style attack with the last dregs of their life force.

Mixing insults with your post is like pooping in a salad.
It’s pretty obvious, and nobody’s impressed.

in Necromancer

Azraeel.1238

They didn’t want a Necromancer to counter a one-shot style attack with the last dregs of their life force.

Well, aren’t they a little late to decide that? This has been the case forever. It was one of the few things that kept us alive in the front lines for more than few seconds.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

THEY MADE GREATER MARKS A MASTER TRAIT! kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten

^ this

… it now deserves having staff cd merged into it.
yay for non minion staff users

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

in Necromancer

Roe.3679

That’s because you are thinking in PvP style, think using PvE, and you will see a HUGE difference.

You’re right, i was thinking about PVP.

Personally I would consider using this in PVE to be an exploit.

in Necromancer

Azraeel.1238

Exploit? EXPLOIT? You still had constraints in refilling the LF and the cooldown on DS. So you couldn’t spam it, not one bit. Besides, they can take this “double health bar” and shove it where the sun doesn’t shine, for all I care it barely lasts one or two hits from bosses.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

My biggest concern is how this affects PVE, particularly when soloing champions or fighting temple bosses.

The whole “soaking up a big hit with DS” in PVP was quite hard and a bit of a crapshoot. You could pop into DS at 10%, but a good thief would just use cloak and dagger once stealth dropped, then follow up with a backstab after DS is gone. So basically unless you time it just right, you won’t be soaking up a big hit.

But in PVE, I used this tactic all the time. When fighting the Priest of Melandru or the Statue of Dwayna or something like that, I would use the little LF generation I would get to use DS to soak up a big attack. Since I don’t have vigor or endurance regen or blocks or dodges or invulnerability, I HAVE to use death shroud in order to soak up those ridiculous 30K damage hits. But now I can’t…

So shed a tear for me in PVE.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Softspoken.2410

Softspoken.2410

Well, aren’t they a little late to decide that? This has been the case forever. It was one of the few things that kept us alive in the front lines for more than few seconds.

Apparently not. ArenaNet has repeatedly said that they’d iterate / change anything they felt the need to.

Mixing insults with your post is like pooping in a salad.
It’s pretty obvious, and nobody’s impressed.

in Necromancer

Posted by: green plum.7514

green plum.7514

There is no ‘nerf’ here, its a bug fix. DS was never supposed to soak up all the damage, it is an additional buffer, not a block. Its a shame of course, because many players relied on this bugged mechanics in the first place. I don’t have enough Necro experience to discuss the consequences of this fix.

If this change indeed makes Necro unviable (whatever that means), then this shows that there are some gaping issues with Necro design in the first place, and I believe it is a good idea to discuss them. But please do not call fixing a broken feature a nerf.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kitarity.8976

Kitarity.8976

There is no ‘nerf’ here, its a bug fix. DS was never supposed to soak up all the damage, it is an additional buffer, not a block. Its a shame of course, because many players relied on this bugged mechanics in the first place. I don’t have enough Necro experience to discuss the consequences of this fix.

If this change indeed makes Necro unviable (whatever that means), then this shows that there are some gaping issues with Necro design in the first place, and I believe it is a good idea to discuss them. But please do not call fixing a broken feature a nerf.

If it was an exploit, which I can concede the falling damage part definitely was, this “nerf” should have been rolled out with an appropriate defensive replacement. As it stands Necros don’t really have anything to help take damage in PvE or PvP, the second HP bar doesn’t stand as we can’t heal in DS and there’s a lengthy CD to get back inside of it.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I really hope they revert this change to death shroud. They removed something that made necros viable in PVE. And it was a fun mechanic too.

I think it’s about time that Anet realized that the players do not like insta-kill attacks. Allowing them some protection against such unfair mechanics is the way to go. Popping in and out of DS to soak insane damage was one of the few things that made using Death Shroud fun. It added something interesting to it… and now it’s gone. Thanks a lot…

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Necromancer

Amun Ra.6435

Did you really just say that? I feel dumber for having read that sentence….

I mean… O.o huh?

in Necromancer

Roe.3679

I mean… O.o huh?

You really thought it was intended to tank infinite damage when DS is drained? This change was coming for months. If it caught you by surprise, I’m really not sure what to say. Perhaps if you wanted blocks on demand you should have rolled a guardian.

in Necromancer

Posted by: DelOnasi.6051

DelOnasi.6051

I’ve said this in another thread, but: nerfing this reduces inter-profession diversity, lowers necromancer viability in dungeons, and reduces the skill cap of playing a PvE necromancer. I don’t think any of those three outcomes was desirable.

Personally, I may be shelving my necro in PvE for a while – challenging with a high skill cap was fun; more challenging with a lower skill cap does not sound fun.

Dungeon Master ~ Litter of Lions [Arch] Admin ~ Devona’s Rest

in Necromancer

Amun Ra.6435

I mean… O.o huh?

You really thought it was intended to tank infinite damage when DS is drained? This change was coming for months. If it caught you by surprise, I’m really not sure what to say. Perhaps if you wanted blocks on demand you should have rolled a guardian.

I have two 80’s…take a guess at what the other one is lol…petty people assume so much…

And since it is painfully clear you don’t play a necro…you can not tank “infinite” damage with ds…get a clue dude…

This change was totally unwarranted.

in Necromancer

DelOnasi.6051

Most classes have several ways to mitigate infinite damage – vigor for dodges, +50% endurance regeneration traits, blocks, invulnerability skills, aegis. A large portion of PvE as it is currently implemented revolves around avoiding spike damage through these abilities. Removing this from necros without adding other sources of spike damage mitigation is a huge and unwarranted nerf to necromancer viability in dungeons.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Now how the hell are necros supposed to survive this kind of burst damage? Seriously…

I can dodge these shots twice… and the third one is an instant down. If you’re lucky, he’ll follow it up with another shot, and then you’re dead.

At least with Death Shroud you could anticipate these absurdly overpowered attacks and soak them. Even if you didn’t have a full life force bar. But you can forget about that now. -_-

Attachments:

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

I would like to see a necro solo Lupi now.

Looks like I wont be getting free gifts like a kite for a while now.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I personally used DS to soak Mossman’s attacks in L48 fractals when he would target me. It’s especially meaningful in that boss fight because you get LF back quickly thanks to the wolves. I’m really going to miss being able to do that.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in Necromancer

Khal Drogo.9631

Its not just the lack of blocks and invul but the lack of evasive weapon skills as well.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ralathar.7236

Ralathar.7236

Ok folks lets look at this logically.

Before the patch you could soak up overflow damage by being in death shroud.
Before the patch people were intentionally using this to mitigate damage.
This is evidently not an intended use of deathshroud, so they changed it.

So at this point you have 3 schools of thought:

#1. WWWWWAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!

#2. The ability to use deathshroud this way was potentially getting in the way of necros getting a buff. Now that this capability is gone they will be able to test and observe if necros can perform up to their desires and if they do not they will buff them in some way.

#3. Necro’s will still be good in other areas of the game buy may need sPVP specific buffs.

Rashanala – 80 Elementalist
Ehmry Bay – Legion of the Iron Hawk [Hawk]

in Necromancer

Khal Drogo.9631

#2. The ability to use deathshroud this way was potentially getting in the way of necros getting a buff. Now that this capability is gone they will be able to test and observe if necros can perform up to their desires and if they do not they will buff them in some way.

#3. Necro’s will still be good in other areas of the game buy may need sPVP specific buffs.

WAHHHH!!!!!!!! Seriously hard to have a discussion with arrogant son of kittens who just thinks everyone else is simply whining.

Block List +1

in Necromancer

Amun Ra.6435

WAHHHH!!!!!!!! Seriously hard to have a discussion with arrogant son of kittens who just thinks everyone else is simply whining.

Block List +1

And probably coming from a bunker ele that is pretty much unkillable lol…

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Lets keep it civil guys… I’m pretty sure a dev will never see this thread, but that is no reason to have it locked by a moderator!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

They buff kitten profession little bit and then nerf it weaker than it was before buff.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

Making this change might actually give Necros a real mechanic so they can actually use their profession mechanic instead of crutch on it to absorb hits.

Also, are there really so many attacks in PvE that you don’t have enough dodges without Vigor? The number of people I’ve seen just dodge randomly for no net gain is so high that I have an intensely hard time believe that.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in Necromancer

Khal Drogo.9631

Really hate that other players who main other professions and only do PVP say that this particular nerf is a small nerf like what their professions experience from time to time. PVE survivability is going to take a big hit.

But hey whatever, thinking of taking another break from GW2.

in Necromancer

Khal Drogo.9631

Making this change might actually give Necros a real mechanic so they can actually use their profession mechanic instead of crutch on it to absorb hits.

Also, are there really so many attacks in PvE that you don’t have enough dodges without Vigor? The number of people I’ve seen just dodge randomly for no net gain is so high that I have an intensely hard time believe that.

Sure Warriors should not use their GS whirl as a crutch. As well as shields in PVP. Please run this suggestion up to Anet. Block List +1

in Necromancer

Amun Ra.6435

O M G…did a warrior just some here to try and shut down a complaint another class has in PvE…?

Yeah, warrior…I guess standing there with your full stacks of might hitting 1 is making use of your full mechanics as well…no “crutch” there… lol

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

Two responses, and neither of you told me if PvE requires more dodges than are physically possible without Vigor.

And you want your profession mechanic to be a poor version of an Aegis? That’s what you want. You don’t want it to be useful, you don’t want to be given something else. You just want to use DS for avoiding spike damage in PvE.

What you don’t realize is I’m actually curious about why you can’t dodge things in PvE with dodges, and I think that with this change, your potential for receiving something along the lines of an evade/invuln/block have increased.

So please, divert your angst elsewhere.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in Necromancer

DelOnasi.6051

This hurts a lot in several high end PvE fights such as Lupicus. It’s not really fair to comment on the PvE aspect of a necromancer change if you haven’t played a necromancer in a lot of dungeons. Necros were never one of the “best” dungeon classes, making this all the more painful.

In general, are there so many attacks that you don’t have enough dodges without vigor? If you time everything perfectly, probably not – this game’s PvE is pretty easy in general. But every other class gets some form (usually multiple) of avoiding single spike hits: vigor, +50% endurance regen traits, block, invunerability, aegis, evade skills, and projectile reflection. Necromancers have none of these, and previously could make up for the difference with skillful use of death shroud. Now the skill cap has been lowered, and necromancers are the only class to have none of those defenses against large 1 hit attacks (other than natural dodges, which every class has).