Feral Shadowmancer [v2.0]

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sheobix.8796

Sheobix.8796

This is a condition/crit permutation of my popular Juggermancer build that is easier to obtain gear for, maintains a high armor rating, has near 100% regeneration uptime, implements the popular terror mechanic for damage on fears(thank you Knote, for the tip on 4night/2lys or 4lich/2lys and 20 spite to get the 2nd tick out), and mixes power and condition play.

http://bit.ly/Wx7Em8 << Build link

Updates
12/20 v1.5 Included Ascended items for those who wish to build this to the end. Circle rings were used to gain critdmg mods, vitality, and healing power as well as a balance of T/P/Pr (knight bonuses)

Gear:

Full P/T/V armor (HotW/SE/AC/Invader(WvW))
Emerald Accessories(Knights) – Rampager Jewels slotted x6 (including back)

Back Item

Rampager Weapons

• Dagger/Focus + Staff OR Scepter/Focus + Staff for more reliable condition application

Sigils:

• Rage, Chilling in Dagger/Focus (High crit chance gives you quickness frequently which is a short version of thief haste/ time warp and extra chill duration)
  • Stamina in Staff for blast finisher kills in PvE for extra dodging when you’re tank/kiting

Runes:
2 Mad King (25 power and +10% condition duration)
2 Runes of Ice ( +20% frozen duration)
2 Lyssa (Precision bolstering + 10% condition duration)

10/30/10/0/20

Trait explanations: currently not updated in this thread due to time constraints, if you have specific questions send me a PM or in game whisper/mail

Stat calculation:
Base+Runes+Traits:
1016 Power
1241 Precision
1016 Toughness
916 Vitality

w/ Gear:
1804 Power
1826 Precision
1598 Toughness
1140 Vitality

Attribute Boil down:
1829pwr+1111stfatk= 2940 Attack Rating // 518 Condition Damage
1598tough+920Def= 2518 Armor
20,662 HP
1826prec-916base=910/21=43%+4%= 47% crit chance unbuffed

w/buffs – Master Maintenance Oil (+ 158 precision) and Bowl of Truffle Ravioli (+100 toughness +70 precision)

57% crit chance
2940 Attack Rating

• 518 Condition Damage

2618 Armor
20,662 HP

(edited by Sheobix.8796)

in Necromancer

Posted by: War Mourner.5168

War Mourner.5168

Seems like an interesting build, although a tad slow for my tastes. Two things to note however.

You’re using a sigil of rage and a sigil of earth on the same weapon set, they share a CD so sigil of rage is very unlikely to proc because sigil of earth has a much higher chance, and when it does proc, that sigil of earth is sitting there doing nothing for 45 seconds.

Also you can use runes of the mad king for 10% condition duration (2nd bonus) freeing up 2 rune slots if you need them.

in Necromancer

Sheobix.8796

Seems like an interesting build, although a tad slow for my tastes. Two things to note however.

You’re using a sigil of rage and a sigil of earth on the same weapon set, they share a CD so sigil of rage is very unlikely to proc because sigil of earth has a much higher chance, and when it does proc, that sigil of earth is sitting there doing nothing for 45 seconds.

Also you can use runes of the mad king for 10% condition duration (2nd bonus) freeing up 2 rune slots if you need them.

good catch. I’m a little tired right now (its late here) and its going to take a few days of daydreaming and thinking to iron out the wrinkles on this guy.

may i ask what you mean by slow?

in Necromancer

Sheobix.8796

I think i’ll swap it for 2MK/2Lyssa/2Ice in runes.

As for swiftness, you can easily throw on the old gimp warhorn and swap the trait in SR10.

I’ll just use the new locust sig to run from point to point and swap prior.

in Necromancer

Posted by: War Mourner.5168

War Mourner.5168

Only in the literal sense, no swiftness or locust signet, although I supposed it’s easy enough to switch in and out between combat. Also it’s not such a big deal in regular PvE in general.

One thing I dislike about the sigil of rage however, is that fact that if you’re not dagger 1’ing, it feels like you’ve wasted the potential of the sigil, which its long CD makes rather punishing (life siphon/transfer can proc sigils rather easily). It’s what makes on demand quickness so much more useful, as procing quickness at long range with for example the focus isn’t terribly fun.

in Necromancer

Sheobix.8796

sigil of bloodlust or sigil of chilling were also ringing bells in my head. I know better than to put two crit-proc sigils on one weapon >.<’

edit: updated the links and sigils. chilling is now in the focus.

(edited by Sheobix.8796)

in Necromancer

Sheobix.8796

my ideas came from ascii’s old Mr.Freeze and the new performance under Terror.
Combining the PTV base with high crit gear and mixing in a little condition damage with the stacked curses/spite makes this a do-it-all necro with nice armor.

in Necromancer

Posted by: IronWolf.2835

IronWolf.2835

Have you had a chance to test it out much? I’ve always wondered if the hybrid builds are actually better than the pure power or conditions builds. Having played a variation of your power build, when I went back to conditions for a bit, I found killing to be a lot slower.

Also: I find I can be very bursty with the old build and wells. Seems like nothing else we have can output damage at the wells level. Is there a reason you don’t use them?

in Necromancer

Sheobix.8796

for burst, you’re going to want to stick to the juggermancer.

By nature, bleeds take a longer amount of time to actually finish doing damage (duh, its a DoT)

but the reason why it works is because when you’re not connecting hits on your foe, or if you’re chasing, or they’re stealthing/blocking/etc. you can still put bleeds that can compete with any other joe-schmoe conditionmancer next to you that runs a 0/30/x/x/x build.

being able to deal both types of damage effectively squeezes out the DPS potential in the class. This build actually only loses a hair of power compared to the juggermancer, and sacrifices mainly about 300-500 armor and vitality.

you gain crit chance, which means you’ll be doing more damage than the juggermancer by far. On top of that, you can fear for damage and bleeds will proc off your crits with barbed precision and DS4/Dag2. a second option is to play scepter/focus + staff.

Oh, and BiP makes a nice home for itself in this build, which means you’ll actually have more power than the juggermancer. You can choose to use two wells+ BiP to well bomb just like the jugg, but the only trade-down was less toughness and HP.

edit: I do use wells. This build, though, does not need them. (it still can use them though, it does very well with them in fact) but to retain the foot-in-each-world playstyle, BiP+X+X is the way to go.

(edited by Sheobix.8796)

in Necromancer

Sheobix.8796

I was able to grab the cheap knights/ramp stuff off the TP yesterday and i made some quick tests (except pvp, didn’t find the time for that yet) to see how well it does.

BiP+ anything + fears inbetween = greatness.

if you actually think about how often we use fear when we’re in bad situations… the damage makes it nice. The bleeds underlying our power-based damage is really nice as well.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Manticore Five.9867

Manticore Five.9867

What do you swap in for bosses?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Fazzi.4876

Fazzi.4876

hmm so i assume this one is pretty much strickly PvP if you’re not even talking about ascended rings/backpiece. looks interesting, might give it a try sometime. I actually decided to give up my quest for a legendary weapon(none “fit” the necro enough for me to care) so im taking my karma and getting the PVT gear from those vendors since im too lazy to grind the dungeons

in Necromancer

Posted by: IronWolf.2835

IronWolf.2835

By nature, bleeds take a longer amount of time to actually finish doing damage (duh, its a DoT)

but the reason why it works is because when you’re not connecting hits on your foe, or if you’re chasing, or they’re stealthing/blocking/etc. you can still put bleeds that can compete with any other joe-schmoe conditionmancer next to you that runs a 0/30/x/x/x build.

being able to deal both types of damage effectively squeezes out the DPS potential in the class. This build actually only loses a hair of power compared to the juggermancer, and sacrifices mainly about 300-500 armor and vitality.

you gain crit chance, which means you’ll be doing more damage than the juggermancer by far. On top of that, you can fear for damage and bleeds will proc off your crits with barbed precision and DS4/Dag2. a second option is to play scepter/focus + staff.

Oh, and BiP makes a nice home for itself in this build, which means you’ll actually have more power than the juggermancer. You can choose to use two wells+ BiP to well bomb just like the jugg, but the only trade-down was less toughness and HP.

edit: I do use wells. This build, though, does not need them. (it still can use them though, it does very well with them in fact) but to retain the foot-in-each-world playstyle, BiP+X+X is the way to go.

Thanks for the reply! So I’m curious, what build do you normally run? Is it this, or is it something different, and if it’s different, I’m curious what you run with wells, and how.

in Necromancer

Posted by: manekineko.3490

manekineko.3490

Just thought I’d let you know how this build went for me.

After a few dungeon runs, I’d hesitate to call this a tank build at all. It can certainly take hits better than the average necro, and fear/chill spam is helpful, but I found the most success standing as far away as possible all the time which becomes a problem for the more DPS-oriented warriors and guardians in the group. It worked much better when someone else took the front line entirely, but at that point, I was upset that I couldn’t put out better numbers. (Side note: The new Terror is AWESOME. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!)

I’d love to see where this build goes, but for right now, I have difficulty seeing which niche it’s supposed to fill.

(edited by manekineko.3490)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Savan.8495

Savan.8495

This whole build just seems very confused to me

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cerbeius.7129

Cerbeius.7129

Is this build just for PvP or is it also usable in Dungeons?

Lady Cerba, Ascalonian Priestess of Grenth

- Piken Square, [REN][DKAL]

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zogyark.4597

Zogyark.4597

I’m sure you could use it for dungeons but it’s not the most effective I’d say, it’s build towards pvp ya know.

Necromancer Lupicus Solo – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkSkhmWiDU

Retired Until Expansion or Meaningful Content is Released.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Alkaline.2809

Alkaline.2809

The first build is what I have been trying out in wvw with a mix of knights/pvp gear with knight orbs. I might change the orbs for condition damage.

(edited by Alkaline.2809)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Roeore.6274

Roeore.6274

Hey Guys,
Just wondering weather this build would be more suited to wvw conditions or the post 14/12 juggermancer build on the last pages of the thread

regards roeore

in Necromancer

Sheobix.8796

Hey Guys,
Just wondering weather this build would be more suited to wvw conditions or the post 14/12 juggermancer build on the last pages of the thread

regards roeore

this would be better for conditions than the mockup discussed in the juggermancer thread.

For those who feel more comfortable being at a range, scepter/focus works better.

I tuned this for more of a fast-dropper type build which can operate strongly in a duo running in WvW or a PvP build that combats DPS builds. In PvE, it will work well in the hands of someone who is more watchful of their HP, but it survives better than the necro only sitting with rabid+carrion setup (less optimal vitality and toughness sources than this build)

I play with wells in my juggermancer, but most of the time when the player is good enough to get out of them, I have to dance to connect the hits from dagger a little more often.

This build was modified from the juggermancer to gain the options of rocking BiP and epidemic, as well as use the new terror and bleeds that can proc from crits, EB cast from DS, and mark2. My personal taste to play this build would be to drop the points in death and put them in blood, to gain mark of evasion.

This build does not fit a “niche” as in support/DPS/tank/condtionstacker etc. This build is good for doing a little bit of each, on top of maintaining the same power output as the jugg (if not more from crits and the slight upbump from BiP) with more bleeding sources.

The main crux I’ve noticed is that with the juggermancer, if you were fighting a mobile enemy like a bleed/stealth thief, when he went into stealth, you had to mentally bottleneck him with marks and AoE. You would then have to wait for him to pop our of stealth, use a gap closing maneuver to connect your hits with him, while manipulating the conditions he put on you defensively. As in, you had to get rid of the conditions by throwing them on him.

I wanted to be able to dish the damage (power) as well as be able to tag him with BiP and EB from DS. Terror is gravy when he pops out of stealth. (BiP> DS-EB> Fear(Terror)> DS2 closer> Un-DS and unload dagger auto)

As always, to gain more offensive capabilities one must trade defensive capability. The build loses a total potential of 500 armor and 8k HP, but a strong player that stays on their toes can utilize the gain in offensive capability to take down their opponent.

Don’t be mistaken, I don’t like making builds that absolutely gimp their potential in an area of the game (pve, wvw.. etc) And I try to maintain some trait-swapping ability.

in Necromancer

Sheobix.8796

I’m sure you could use it for dungeons but it’s not the most effective I’d say, it’s build towards pvp ya know.

I did in fact tailor this to not be a dungeon-star in favor of crafting a more WvW/PVP build. The juggermancer will make dungeons a more enjoyable experience if that’s what you’re wondering.

in Necromancer

Sheobix.8796

This whole build just seems very confused to me

How so? Each trait was explained and the whole thing was laid out for you. I wasn’t really scratching my head as I ran all the numbers, you know.

in Necromancer

Sheobix.8796

Thanks for the reply! So I’m curious, what build do you normally run? Is it this, or is it something different, and if it’s different, I’m curious what you run with wells, and how.

I currently run the juggermancer with WoS, WoC, and Spectral Walk. I don’t traditionally “Well-Bomb” at all. Im a close quarters combat necro that strafes and breaks line of sight frequently to keep the edge on my opponent. I find that if i can lock someone in a double-well with Dag3 and horn4, great. But most of the time, players are a lot better at moving than that (if they’re not a noob) and i’ll use the wells as tools for moving them how i need them if I sense that is their level of skill.

Placing a well at the edge of my opponent (instead of sitting on him and activating it) makes them feel like i’ve missed, and that they don’t need to dodge to get out of it. That allows me to strafe around them, and fear them when their back is to the well. This applies Terror (2-3k damage) as they walk over the well, getting about 3ticks of the well before they evade out of it. That tends to be the more reliable tactic to using them. (of course, if you want to well bomb, go use flesh golem and hope he connects)

in Necromancer

Sheobix.8796

Just thought I’d let you know how this build went for me.

After a few dungeon runs, I’d hesitate to call this a tank build at all. It can certainly take hits better than the average necro, and fear/chill spam is helpful, but I found the most success standing as far away as possible all the time which becomes a problem for the more DPS-oriented warriors and guardians in the group. It worked much better when someone else took the front line entirely, but at that point, I was upset that I couldn’t put out better numbers. (Side note: The new Terror is AWESOME. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!)

I’d love to see where this build goes, but for right now, I have difficulty seeing which niche it’s supposed to fill.

It’s definitely not intended to tank at all : )

But the damage is more consistent. If you’re not in melee range, you can pop BiP and close in with EB from Death shroud. That will give you 7-8k bleeding from those two skills alone. if you have staff active, you can also drop mark2 for the extra 1.6k bleed.

As the bleed is running its natural course, you can start working with your power. Connect your hits, etc. When you find yourself spaced from your target, you can re-apply the BiP and EB cast from DS and mark2. I tested the cooldowns from the traits and BiP is up REALLY often. This ensures your DPS is constant, so you’re doing damage while you’re in melee range or when you’re not in melee range.

in Necromancer

Sheobix.8796

hmm so i assume this one is pretty much strickly PvP if you’re not even talking about ascended rings/backpiece. looks interesting, might give it a try sometime. I actually decided to give up my quest for a legendary weapon(none “fit” the necro enough for me to care) so im taking my karma and getting the PVT gear from those vendors since im too lazy to grind the dungeons

Not so, I just haven’t had the time to prospect on the optimal ascended pieces for this build yet. in the days to come, I might go ahead and update the post with the new info.

in Necromancer

Sheobix.8796

What do you swap in for bosses?

for brute-like bosses I swap in scepter/focus + staff. I auto with the scepter, and when i want to unload Power based damage, I pop BiP, swap to staff, and go into either lich or DS. The crits and higher power base than the jugg makes DS/lich more potent damage dealers.

For easier bosses that just require more teamwork, or boulder throwing.. moving around to avoid things, etc… I stick to the dag/foc+staff and connect as many hits as i can then evade/condition manipulate and heal when im far back, still allowing me to stack damage in forms of bleeding to make sure im still contributing.

in Necromancer

Posted by: station.6421

station.6421

Just gave it a shot, some of my thoughts

-rune of grenth gives 20% more chill duration + condi damage, used it in place of MK
-Would take 10 points out of spite in to soul reaping for 20% reduction to spectral
-Change epidemic for spectral walk for a stun break

ofc this is from a spvp prospective. I’d rather have more spectral grabs for the chill and life force.

in Necromancer

Sheobix.8796

Just gave it a shot, some of my thoughts

-rune of grenth gives 20% more chill duration + condi damage, used it in place of MK
-Would take 10 points out of spite in to soul reaping for 20% reduction to spectral
-Change epidemic for spectral walk for a stun break

ofc this is from a spvp prospective. I’d rather have more spectral grabs for the chill and life force.

You lose bleed efficiency by dropping the runes and points in spite, you also lose 100 power and gain a small boost to chill times. I agree on the utility selection for PvP though. imo i’d keep the condition duration. Runes of Ice are already in the build and the condition duration already stacks for chill as well.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Universal Sage.8715

Universal Sage.8715

Ty Sheobix for your helpful builds and posts.

I have started enjoying my necro a lot more in wvw since using the juggermancer, with my only hindrance being the inability to gear fully pvt since i dont do dungeons.

I will give this build a try. Thanks again for your contributions and input.

Edit: By the way, is the reason why the rune of svanir’s 6th effect (ice block) not something that is utilized in any of the wvw builds because it immobilizes and prevents you from doing anything (albeit while not taking dmg for 5 secs).

I guess I was wondering if you’ve ever tried it out and what your thoughts about it were.

(edited by Universal Sage.8715)

in Necromancer

Sheobix.8796

Ty Sheobix for your helpful builds and posts.

I have started enjoying my necro a lot more in wvw since using the juggermancer, with my only hindrance being the inability to gear fully pvt since i dont do dungeons.

I will give this build a try. Thanks again for your contributions and input.

Edit: By the way, is the reason why the rune of svanir’s 6th effect (ice block) not something that is utilized in any of the wvw builds because it immobilizes and prevents you from doing anything (albeit while not taking dmg for 5 secs).

I guess I was wondering if you’ve ever tried it out and what your thoughts about it were.

yes. the problem with the ice block transform is that is gives your opponent to gain a few seconds on cooldowns and to prepare himself for a combo counter attack as soon as you pop out. in duels you always want to break their LoS and keep it tight, maintaining the upper hand.

The reason why i emphasize playing tight and staying mobile/strafing breaking LoS so much with my builds is because our class is the least mobile in game. We have ONE skill that lets us jump to target, and that’s DS2. DS2 is blockable, dodgable, obstructable, and kitable. Every other class has leaps, non-target gap closers, charges, etc. So to stay “on top of things” its important to be close when you’re power-built.

A while I go I played a lot of Allods Online, and I learned how important it is to strafe when you’re fighting someone… from a guy named Taugrim. http://taugrim.com/2010/02/12/allods-online-melee-healer-spec/

check the russian AO pvp video there if you wish to learn how to move really well. You can skip through the video and get the gist of how the russian player moves when he fights, and apply it to WvW and PvP.

People underrate strafing a lot of the times, because if you break your opponent’s LoS, they have to spend many extra seconds between casting to face you before they can use a skill. This forces them to deplete their sources of mobility/dodging very quickly in your fight and allows you to bring players down to your playing field movement-wise when they get cooldown-lockout.

in Necromancer

Sheobix.8796

For people rusing about these posts in the thread, This build isn’t for everyone, but it is really good in the hands of someone who moves intelligently. This build is more rotational in playstyle than the juggermancer, but if you’re looking for a dungeon-star and WvW zerg leader, go with the jugg.

Each build plays differently, survives differently, and kills differently. If you have the resources to test this one and stick with it, i’m glad. I just know some players wanted a more powerful build than the jugg so I went ahead and made sure to tweak it without making it a squishy 19k hp 2300 armor Carrion/rabid conditionmancer that doesn’t take that long to come up with.

The key to making this an even bleeding build to any 0/30/x/x/x conditionamncer is through condition durations. By pumping condition duration instead of condition damage, the bleed numbers are not so much improved through the roof in value (as in, you won’t see ungodly ticks for 140-150 like a full conditionmancer) but the duration of your bleeds are greatly lengthened. This means that you don’t have to spend all of your time applying bleeds to ensure they’re on your foe. The bleeds will last longer, allowing you to fight with power on top of the bleeding that your opponent has to manage. having a long-duration 8-9k Bleed on your opponent ensures they HAVE to get rid of it within 15 seconds or they will drop quickly under your strikes. This gives you additional opportunities to retaliate when they move to cleanse, or even if they super-cleanse through multiple shouts, etc. Your BiP and EB uptime will be so frequent that as soon as they get rid of it, you can just hit BiP+F1 to put the same stack of bleeds on them again.

in Necromancer

Sheobix.8796

updated the post to include ascended items, changed the trait setup to upcurve the critdmg mods, and gave more flesh to DS from lack of vitality doing it passively. grabbed master of terror to properly flesh out the terror performance.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Moaning Marv.2194

Moaning Marv.2194

Sheobix i just want to thank you for the in depth research you put into the necro class and the builds! I loved the juggermancer build but i’m loving this feral even more, oh the 2v1’s i’m winning have to be kitten off the the enemy haha!

Moaning (thief) Marvolo (mes) Mordaunt (necro)
Knights of the White Wolf
Sanctum of Rall

in Necromancer

Sheobix.8796

No problem! I try to put these on the forums to provide solid builds that allow players to tweak trait choices without losing perfomace. Thanks for the support

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kravick.4906

Kravick.4906

Your guide talks about having 20 points in Spite along with having the spinal shivers trait, but the build you posted only has 10 points. Those 10 points seem to be in Soul Reaping instead.

BTW, I’ve been using your Juggermancer build. Simply amazing. I honestly did not think that it would work, but its ridiculously effective in WvW. I can only be killed by a full sized zerg.

Stuff goes here.

in Necromancer

Posted by: jim.2150

jim.2150

mucking around in the mists with a similar build to this and i’m only getting the 2nd tick on terror when the target has another condition.

stripped down the build a bit and i can get a 2nd tick using this setup with a condition present:

2x rune of lyssa
0/10/0/0/20

so i dropped the rune of lyssa entirely and put 10 into spite for spiteful talisman and i am hitting the 2nd tick with a condition present.

doesn’t seem to be working as intended, but opens up the build possibilities for now.

playing with 10/20/20/0/20, for the 2nd tick on reaper’s protection as well.

(edited by jim.2150)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dietzen.6127

Dietzen.6127

I’m slightly confused, and I might be a bit slow, but this seems rather like a somewhat conventional condition build? With terror in the mix. With only 10 pts in the power line, does this build do much physical dmg? Does the P/T/V gear make up for the loss in power from the 30 pts in spite that power builds have?

In comparison to your juggermancer build, how do you see this fairing? Better or worse, in a wv3 scenario? (Ps. sorry if this has been asked previously, it might have skipped my attention)

in Necromancer

Sheobix.8796

mucking around in the mists with a similar build to this and i’m only getting the 2nd tick on terror when the target has another condition.

stripped down the build a bit and i can get a 2nd tick using this setup with a condition present:

2x rune of lyssa
0/10/0/0/20

so i dropped the rune of lyssa entirely and put 10 into spite for spiteful talisman and i am hitting the 2nd tick with a condition present.

doesn’t seem to be working as intended, but opens up the build possibilities for now.

playing with 10/20/20/0/20, for the 2nd tick on reaper’s protection as well.

as a reply to your post and the guy above you, Im sorry i could not find the time to update and sync-up the OP to match information on the trait spread. I’ll try to do so asap but currently i am sick and suffering from a long drive from San francisco from the holiday.

in Necromancer

Sheobix.8796

I’m slightly confused, and I might be a bit slow, but this seems rather like a somewhat conventional condition build? With terror in the mix. With only 10 pts in the power line, does this build do much physical dmg? Does the P/T/V gear make up for the loss in power from the 30 pts in spite that power builds have?

In comparison to your juggermancer build, how do you see this fairing? Better or worse, in a wv3 scenario? (Ps. sorry if this has been asked previously, it might have skipped my attention)

The power is absolutely retained between the juggermancer and this build. I already did the power breakdown and when BiP is running, you keep the power level almost the same as the jug. The exact trade offs listed in this build compared to the jugg are:

- Vitality
- (300-500) toughness
+ condition usage (lots of bleeds)
+ BiP and Epidemic usefulness
+ ranged fighting
+ larger variety in your toolset
+ plague form utility

in Necromancer

Posted by: Hellgaunt.1734

Hellgaunt.1734

I didn’t try the terror aspect yet. Does Fear damage tick in on creatures with Defiance in PvE?

Otherwise I think a setup of 0/30/10/0/30 for permanent fury might be a better setup?

in Necromancer

Sheobix.8796

I didn’t try the terror aspect yet. Does Fear damage tick in on creatures with Defiance in PvE?

Otherwise I think a setup of 0/30/10/0/30 for permanent fury might be a better setup?

that is an extremely tempting choice to make. near 100% uptime on fury means that extra 20% crit chance which bumps 57 to 77%.

for people who run this with a dag/foc that might be the way to go. And if losing out on 4 seconds on focus cd’s and 100 power and 10% condition duration (which I REALLY hope does not drop the duration needed for terror)

Hm, to get the 30 pts in SR for perma fury, you would then need veggie pizza buff to make sure terror gets 2 ticks.

it IS doable. But to put it up for discussion, what do other people use fury for? the extra floppy 20% crit chance, is it really worth stretching the build thinner for?

As for defiance, i’m not sure if the condition pokes through and deals damage without the CC aspect of the casted skill.

(edited by Sheobix.8796)

in Necromancer

Manticore Five.9867

It’s basically a gimmick build whose numbers absolutely relies on the target having no condition cleansing whatsoever. Note that I didn’t say the BUILD requires this, but the posted numbers do.

The numbers look great until you realize you’re playing to the worst aspects of the current problems with conditions: filling the limited amount of condition headroom with low damage ticks. So the moment you get a condition teammate whose condition damage actually matters, he’s going to overwrite your bleed tics (bad) or you’re going to overwrite his (much worse), or for poison you’re going to send his more powerful procs right to the end of the line.

So a lot of the numbers here are vanish on contact in real-world play, unless you’re not grouping, but this build’s survivability kind of assumes you have a group.

I’m not saying it’s not a good effort – this is probably the some of the best the necro has to offer. I’m just saying the current mechanics of conditions means that you do your cdmg fast or get your butt off the condition queue.

(edited by Manticore Five.9867)

in Necromancer

Sheobix.8796

It’s basically a gimmick build whose numbers absolutely relies on the target having no condition cleansing whatsoever. Note that I didn’t say the BUILD requires this, but the posted numbers do.

The numbers look great until you realize you’re playing to the worst aspects of the current problems with conditions: filling the limited amount of condition headroom with low damage ticks. So the moment you get a condition teammate whose condition damage actually matters, he’s going to overwrite your bleed tics (bad) or you’re going to overwrite his (much worse), or for poison you’re going to send his more powerful procs right to the end of the line.

So a lot of the numbers here are vanish on contact in real-world play, unless you’re not grouping, but this build’s survivability kind of assumes you have a group.

I’m not saying it’s not a good effort – this is probably the some of the best the necro has to offer. I’m just saying the current mechanics of conditions means that you do your cdmg fast or get your butt off the condition queue.

this is a extremely frustrating problem to many, and you’re right. The condition overhead is too close right now because of the stack limitations and random overrides for condition damage and who the “source” is.

While it’s not a guaranteed that when you enter an engagement where there is a condition based player, and your conditions don’t have any room on the bar, that you will still be able to bleed the target, same problem goes for anyone who wants to use conditions.

At the very least, terror will always proc when applied to a player, and you’ll get the damage ticks from it. as for bleed, poison, or chill, chill is more likely to stick since its the least common condition to lock in with.

Every condition user has to worry about the cond cap. But it’s not a persistent problem that hits you in the face all day.

I believe Anet needs to change and tune the ways conditions are applied, how they manage condition hierarchy, cleansing, and Cdmg ratios, but for now, it’s still working decently to the extent of what it’s used for.

Bleed is the overbloated condition that everyone deals, and they need to change that.

and either way, the bleeds featured in this build still work as intended. But you’re right, that is a very problematic issue with relying on side-condition application to not interfere with dedicated condition dealers.

p.s This is why I try to stick to power as much as I can, and use conditions only as a means to control fights.

(edited by Sheobix.8796)

in Necromancer

Manticore Five.9867

I hope anet fixes conditions so that builds like this one can shine better.

in Necromancer

Sheobix.8796

I hope anet fixes conditions so that builds like this one can shine better.

agreed. The current issue is, other classes have more potent bleeds on their skills. They have much shorter durations, and much higher condition damage ratios which means their ticks are larger even with less investment in condition damage. Every time someone hits a skill that has a bleed that deals a total amount of damage greater than the damage a long duration bleed will deal before its time is over, it overrides the stack with a shorter duration, large number per tick bleed that nullifies a lot of our bleeds.

This has angered a lot of condition users.

The reason why it affects this build is because this build focuses on stacking condition duration so when you hit say, BiP, the 8k damage bleed stacks last a lot longer, allowing you to fight between applications. It’s not relied on as a damage dealing utility, but as a supplement to power/crit/vamp play.

But yes, a recap of the condition dilemma is that because of builds who want to use condition duration focused bleeds will be fish-slapped by stacks of greater damage potency. While a player may run into this on a somewhat regular basis, it’s not so bad as to invalidate the usefulness to the build. Because the fact is, the bleeds are already easily available due to the trait set.

in Necromancer

Sheobix.8796

I’ve been running the latest builds in the community through my head, the calculator, dungeons, and WvW tests lately and I’ve found Nemesis’ latest hybrid crit build to be far superior to the Feral Shadowmancer permutated build due to its ability to defend through vampiric traiting and precision procs. It will also feature some of the best DPS available to the necro which will greatly satisfy many and it uses the tried and true 30/30 formula in the traits.

please take a visit over to Nemesis’ thread to learn about the strengths of “the best defense is a good offense” : https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/necromancer/The-ultimate-necromancer-dmg-hybrid-tutorial/first#post1121466

while it lacks toughness, it really does accomplish the DPS better than what you will get from using the PTV base with Minor/Major stacked precision and thin traits found in this thread. I highly recommend it.