First Reaper nerf of the expansion!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Alfray.3862

Alfray.3862

And there goes the dream of a strong frontlinenecro. I’m not saying the change wasn’t needed, this trait was completely overpowerd (compared to the guardtrait double the heal/boon), but the way the change happened only really works in PvP or PvE. For the Ds to fill u had to fight, to land your skills and out of combat without a proper rangeweapon your refillrate was quite bad. Once gone it was work to fill it again. As backline necro good managable thanks to staff autos etc and this trait made it possible to easily be ready after every regroup.
Too easy yes but with a bit adjustements on the numbers this trait would still be viable for a frontlinenecro. It still is but the usage is now completly different and much weaker.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dead.5829

Dead.5829

complain about hero points only to find my reaper builds got nerfed into uselessness. I HAVE NOT ACTUALLY PLAYED ANY HOT YET AND MIGHT NOT NOW.

Well that’s some over-exaggeration. Sounds like a rough life.

in Necromancer

Posted by: StAllerdyce.3941

StAllerdyce.3941

I’m fairly confident that boons will still apply their effects to necromancers even if this trait is not equipped.

The thing I loved about BB up until this change was that it solved a fundamental design flaw with necromancer, which was that it’s a snowball profession: up until you have sufficient life force, you’re basically as harmful as a snowball, and you melt just as easily. Once you’ve built up a sufficient amount, you become an avalanche, and very hard to stop. This is really bad design, as it frustrates both the player, who feels impotent at the start of a fight and needs to hang around the edges being useless, hoping you don’t get jumped because you have no damage mitigation and no escapes, and for the necromancer’s opponents, who blow all their cooldowns to get the necro low only to watch them pop into a full shroud, and they have to do all that damage over again.

BB solved this problem by allowing you to build up life force quickly at the start of a fight, but with yesterday’s change it’s become significantly worse at LF generation, although it’ll still provide decent healing for you while you’re actually IN shroud. This makes it a “win more” trait: if you’ve already got enough LF, equipping this makes you even harder to kill. If you don’t have enough LF, equipping this now does pretty much nothing! Sure you might get a few sigil procs and Strength rune procs off it as well, but Reaper’s Might is still the only consistent boon self-application necros have and it’s gated behind Shroud – meaning BB is a practically a blank trait slot until you’ve built up life force through other means!

I signed in specifically to agree with this. Since so many of Necro’s boons are generated by going into or staying in shroud — and conversely, so few are generated out of shroud — the Life Force gain portion of Blighter’s has been almost completely gutted by this change. The health gain doesn’t make up for it. Are there any intentions to change that half of the trait…?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Berengar.6951

Berengar.6951

Blighter’s Boon as it was implemented before this nerf was basically an inverse Altruistic Healing. So why not change BB back but then bring the healing values in line with AH (which I’ve never seen called OP)?

So like 1/2% LF or ~70 heal with no healing power.

Also consider changing Heralds so the facets apply longer boons on a larger interval (say 7s on a 7 s interval instead of 3s on a 3s interval) if the number of AOE boon stacks being thrown around is still too high.

Engineer, Thief, Mesmer, Elementalist, Guardian,Warrior, Necro
[KoM] Krewe of Misfits
[IB]Inglorious Basterdz

in Necromancer

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

Also consider changing Heralds so the facets apply longer boons on a larger interval (say 7s on a 7 s interval instead of 3s on a 3s interval) if the number of AOE boon stacks being thrown around is still too high.

I think this is the main problem. Whichever healing value, the trait was unbalanced, hugely favoring classes with constant boon generation.

Which is why I suggested to have the healing/LF based on the number of boons currently on you instead of based on the number of boons applied at a given time.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drekor.5217

Drekor.5217

Did a number of pvp matches tonight trying to get see if I can make it work well and it did not work out well at all. Even with Spite and Chilling Victory this trait is utter garbage outside shroud and mediocre at best in shroud.

Either we need more boons or they need to drastically increase both the healing and LF generation on this. There are so many things that could be done with this talent but it was basically completely gutted and no longer worth taking over other options.

The Shipwrecked Pirates
Tarnished Coast

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

It was only a GM trait when you had someone buffing you.

Horrible on its own.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Acanthus.8120

Acanthus.8120

Honestly, I wouldn’t complain if it got reworked to something like (I cannot stress enough that this is an example rather than a true suggestion) 3 lifeforce/5 hp per condition placed. Given all the cleave, I throw out conditions like candy on halloween, especially in shroud, between all the vuln and burning (dhuumfire traited) on 1, the stun/chill(+vuln)/ice combo field and massive whirl combo on 4 that also applies massive amounts of poison. I don’t even run condi (currently running knight with wurm runes), and I’m doing a respectable amount of condition damage.

Much like shouts, this would scale hardest in groups and fall in effectiveness against big single targets like champions and legendaries (unless you run an actual condition build like staff or scepter condi build, which would scale harder with this in general, but the low numbers and high frequency would wind up limiting healing power). In group play, this is more or less how I play, juggling 2 life bars to soak damage and aggro while outputting as hard as I can and counting my timer on “Your Soul is Mine” to fill both bars as often as possible and locust signet because it’s just that awesome.

Not that I would presume to suggest I know what’s best for the class or anything. I more would prefer to point out how I value control and reliability in my trait with something the class is actually good at rather than an improvised trait that’s a husk of its former self. Not blaming anyone for that, ’cause I can clearly see how impossible that would be to balance around the number of players.

(edited by Acanthus.8120)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bull Zooker.1672

Bull Zooker.1672

This change was great for bunker builds
I was playing around with a cleric blood/death/reaper last night and could sustain incredibly well.
2.8k heal leaving shroud, 300+ heaal in shroud with unholy sanctuary, with our shroud 3 pulsing stability i was able to heal 500/600 hp every second whilst in shroud, clearing condis every 3 seconds, etc etc. It was very strong.
I think blighters boon was healing for 215 with a cleric amulet per boon applied.
Very strong.
I was running d/wh and staff. Shout heal, suffer, spectral armor, locust signet and chilled to the bone.
Alot of fun to sustain in fights.
U dont NEED spite for blighters boon to be useful – tho it certainly helps.

Grandad Fester / Unruly Pigeon – Necromancer by trade

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ravezaar.4951

Ravezaar.4951

We lack LF-Gen badly still after BWE fixes and this just made it even worse, cause it took away the option of getting LF from allies. I understand why this could be regarded as to strong but then do as Above ppl have staited give us some xtra way to get LF-Gen or Sustain…

…would be fun to actually use RS but kinda hard when dont gave us the tools

Underjordens Furste 80 Necro Piken-server
Servant of Dhuum

in Necromancer

Posted by: Acanthus.8120

Acanthus.8120

We lack LF-Gen badly still after BWE fixes and this just made it even worse, cause it took away the option of getting LF from allies. I understand why this could be regarded as to strong but then do as Above ppl have staited give us some xtra way to get LF-Gen or Sustain…

What are you running, exactly? Right now I’m running full knight + wurm runes and using spite/soul reaping/reaper. Thus far soul reaping is keeping my lifeforce generation/loss relatively stable along with the toughness, and traiting shouts allows me to use “Your Soul is Mine” enough that it does its job. Granted, I don’t sPvP, so I’m not sure what the reaper situation there is like. (Just trying to help you for the time being, btw.)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ara.4569

Ara.4569

Reaper was supposed to be a team fighter cleaving with GS, shouts and sustaining in large fights:
- GS is not usable
- sustain in group is now gone
- we still have some nice shouts but if we can’t survive in team fight, why bring any ?

Balance team is a bunch of clowns, hurting the game to the full extent of their abilities.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dhogoth.1856

Dhogoth.1856

So it begins….

All on board the Necro Nerf Train, choo choo!

Brazillian guild: White Raven

in Necromancer

Posted by: MelGT.8326

MelGT.8326

Classes that are overpowered in marketing events/betas and the early days of release sell game copies. The elite specs will all possibly be toned back to match their vanilla counterparts, probably leaving necromancers exactly where they were pre-HoT release; fun to try solo in PvE, auto-kicked from LFG.

/tinfoilhat

Edit to make this post more intelligent..

Exactly what boons do we have outside of stacking might in one particular build on <50% enemies? A poor regen on a short cooldown Staff 2 skill? Some Retaliation on Axe 3? Stability from a grandmaster trait when we enter death shroud? And some random other longer CD utilities etc. I thought the whole design concept of Necromancer was that it didn’t have many ways to produce boons, the same way some classes don’t have access to certain conditions outside of sigils.

I agree that an internal cooldown of say 1 or 2 seconds would have been better than this.

(edited by MelGT.8326)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dhogoth.1856

Dhogoth.1856

And talking about DPS I’ll just leave this here….

https://youtu.be/oWKSOGhLDi8?t=26

Brazillian guild: White Raven

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dristig.9678

Dristig.9678

I find it really hard to believe that this change is better than adding a small ICD (like 1 or 2 seconds) and then adjusting heal/LF numbers. I’m sure from a dev perspective it is easier to implement the way they did it but no way do I think this is the more sensible change. I really hope Robert Gee and his team take another look.

in Necromancer

Posted by: tluv.5821

tluv.5821

I run full Zerker gear (still). I run Brazil’s Vampire Reaper build. I occasionally switch to his MAXX DPS Build. I have zero issues staying alive. I have zero issues doing DPS (more than some of my other party counterparts). I don’t understand the salt or QQ

[EG] Ethereal Guardians
Formerly [QT] Questionable Tactics

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ara.4569

Ara.4569

@tluv: Try that in PvP and tell me how you feel after just an hour or two.

Balance team is a bunch of clowns, hurting the game to the full extent of their abilities.

in Necromancer

Posted by: tluv.5821

tluv.5821

@tluv: Try that in PvP and tell me how you feel after just an hour or two.

Oh, for PvE, I’m still going to use the cele signet build.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians
Formerly [QT] Questionable Tactics

in Necromancer

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

I’m thankful that there was a lot of thought put into this change, but I really hope it gets another pass. If it remains this mediocre, especially in a GM line, I’ll probably hang my Necro back on the shelf. Very disappointed.

in Necromancer

Gnat.9405

I run full Zerker gear (still). I run Brazil’s Vampire Reaper build. I occasionally switch to his MAXX DPS Build. I have zero issues staying alive. I have zero issues doing DPS (more than some of my other party counterparts). I don’t understand the salt or QQ

It’s because Blighter’s Boon finally gave us some long-awaited group interplay, and allowed for allies to contribute to our role. Now, we’re back to the selfish necro mode. It’s a shame that most other classes get small tweaks in CDs or numbers, but we get outright nerfs to our best abilities. If this was on any other profession, it would have gotten an ICD instead. Life of a necro.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Jayce.5632

Jayce.5632

You people really need to stop throwing around internal cooldown suggestions, especially on defensive abilities. There is nothing scaling about internal cooldown.

i7-6700K – M.2 PCIe 512GB R/W:2500/1500MB/s
GTX 980M – SSD 512GB R/W:550/520MB/s
17.3" 1080p – 32GB 2400MHz DDR4

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dristig.9678

Dristig.9678

You people really need to stop throwing around internal cooldown suggestions, especially on defensive abilities. There is nothing scaling about internal cooldown.

You’re wrong in this case. If the problem was too much scaling from outside sources then throttling via an ICD is the obvious solution. The way it is now Reaper needs dramatically more access to boons to get anything out of this trait. There are certain builds that can generate more boons on demand but a large portion of Reaper builds are severely lacking in boon generation.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zalavaaris.5329

Zalavaaris.5329

How about when out of shroud we get life force from allies applied boons and when we are in shroud we get life from OUR own applied boons?

in Necromancer

Gnat.9405

You’re wrong in this case. If the problem was too much scaling from outside sources then throttling via an ICD is the obvious solution. The way it is now Reaper needs dramatically more access to boons to get anything out of this trait. There are certain builds that can generate more boons on demand but a large portion of Reaper builds are severely lacking in boon generation.

I agree with this. ICD si the way to go. Also, if you still want to take BB, you’re kind of pigeonholed into taking Chilling Victory and Spite.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kulvar.1239

Kulvar.1239

An ICD at least make a scaling between “alone no-allies” and “enough allies to tick every ICD”.
Self boon only have no scaling at all.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Jayce.5632

Jayce.5632

Then restricted it to specific boon types, and not any and all boons. Not enough? Increase the boon type. Too much? Shave the boon type. Some boon types are easier to apply than others. Anything but an ICD.

i7-6700K – M.2 PCIe 512GB R/W:2500/1500MB/s
GTX 980M – SSD 512GB R/W:550/520MB/s
17.3" 1080p – 32GB 2400MHz DDR4

in Necromancer

Gnat.9405

Removing Might application from the table of interaction will probably balance the trait.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vydahr.4285

Vydahr.4285

Removing Might application from the table of interaction will probably balance the trait.

And make it entirely useless for a solo Reaper. The only boon we can spam is might

Drahvienn
Sylvari Power Reaper

in Necromancer

Gnat.9405

And make it entirely useless for a solo Reaper. The only boon we can spam is might

True enough, I was only considering the change in context of the nerf – group scenarios – thanks for the response. Honestly I don’t think limiting the boon types is the solution anyway, as there will always be controversy and disagreement as to what boons should or should not apply.

I don’t know, this whole thing seems heavy handed. I think we should have tried an ICD first. With the number of boons being pumped out, a proper throttle would go a long way.

in Necromancer

Vydahr.4285

True enough, I was only considering the change in context of the nerf – group scenarios – thanks for the response. Honestly I don’t think limiting the boon types is the solution anyway, as there will always be controversy and disagreement as to what boons should or should not apply.

I don’t know, this whole thing seems heavy handed. I think we should have tried an ICD first. With the number of boons being pumped out, a proper throttle would go a long way.

I honestly think it should be something like “Gain 2% of life force per second whenever a condition is applied, or 160 health while in shroud” So we have an ICD but it also switches it to something necros are good at: applying conditions, even in power builds.

The numbers would probably need more adjusting, seeing as we just put out so many condis, but it makes a hell of a lot more sense than making it dependent on boons. PLUS, it would then become an option for not only power builds, but tank and condi builds too (it would certainly give condi builds some much needed LF generation and survivability, while also making tanks very good at their job too)

Drahvienn
Sylvari Power Reaper

in Necromancer

Posted by: Exos.3472

Exos.3472

So that means we still have to spam might even if we already have a rev or warrior stacking might for us ?

Anet definetily doesn’t want necromancers to be part of any group content.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

I insist but nobody seems to notice it (or everyone think it’s stupid):
Blighter’s boon:
“You gain 100 HP or 0.5% LF every seconds for each unique boons currently on you. Maximum number of boons: 5”.

This way, there is a cap to how much we can get (500 HP or 2.5% every seconds in this example, but the values or the intervals can be adjusted). This also allows to not favor more “fast stacking of short duration boons” compared to “long duration boons”. Since we have few boons ourselves, we cannot easily cap this without allies help.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drakril.4058

Drakril.4058

no issues with this change! BB gives the survivability needed for pwr builds who sack all defensive traits to max out dps (which is good for group play). Running absolutely full zerk I can drop to 20% health, pop into RS and be back up to 100% health before I drop below 50% RS with no heal required leaving potential for “your soul is mine” to be used for LF/DMG. Running spite I can proc 3 stacks of might per hit (1/2 s) in RS and 1-2 per 1/2s using dag AA. no need to spend crazy gold on strength runes, which allows for more versatility with rune combos. Those complaining are just asking for the world. BB was broken, since everyone used it. IF anything this change made people think towards versatility in builds instead of everyone running BB. So thank you anet for making a change that fits! ICD’s would destroy the potential of this trait, making specific boons activate it would kill any solo potential (since we only produce might steady).

in Necromancer

Gnat.9405

no issues with this change! BB gives the survivability needed for pwr builds who sack all defensive traits to max out dps (which is good for group play). Running absolutely full zerk I can drop to 20% health, pop into RS and be back up to 100% health before I drop below 50% RS with no heal required leaving potential for “your soul is mine” to be used for LF/DMG. Running spite I can proc 3 stacks of might per hit (1/2 s) in RS and 1-2 per 1/2s using dag AA. no need to spend crazy gold on strength runes, which allows for more versatility with rune combos. Those complaining are just asking for the world. BB was broken, since everyone used it. IF anything this change made people think towards versatility in builds instead of everyone running BB. So thank you anet for making a change that fits! ICD’s would destroy the potential of this trait, making specific boons activate it would kill any solo potential (since we only produce might steady).

Some of the issue people are having with this however, is being forced to take Spite, since there are no other great options for GM Reaper.

in Necromancer

Gnat.9405

So that means we still have to spam might even if we already have a rev or warrior stacking might for us ?

Anet definetily doesn’t want necromancers to be part of any group content.

This is a good point. The only time we can use this trait effectively is might stacking, and to do that in a group setting we’re going to be wasting a lot of traits overstacking might, just to get use out of BB.

in Necromancer

Gnat.9405

I honestly think it should be something like “Gain 2% of life force per second whenever a condition is applied, or 160 health while in shroud” So we have an ICD but it also switches it to something necros are good at: applying conditions, even in power builds.

The numbers would probably need more adjusting, seeing as we just put out so many condis, but it makes a hell of a lot more sense than making it dependent on boons. PLUS, it would then become an option for not only power builds, but tank and condi builds too (it would certainly give condi builds some much needed LF generation and survivability, while also making tanks very good at their job too)

The only potential problem I see with this is with the crazy amount of vuln we can apply. We’d be invincible with well siphoning and WoS, along with GS3.

in Necromancer

Vydahr.4285

The only potential problem I see with this is with the crazy amount of vuln we can apply. We’d be invincible with well siphoning and WoS, along with GS3.

That’s why an ICD would be needed, and maybe it would have to be “gain X LF/Health per stack of 5 condis” or something like that

Drahvienn
Sylvari Power Reaper

in Necromancer

Gnat.9405

That’s why an ICD would be needed, and maybe it would have to be “gain X LF/Health per stack of 5 condis” or something like that

Gotcha. Well hopefully we see some iteration over the next couple weeks, or maybe the next balance pass.

in Necromancer

Drakril.4058

Some of the issue people are having with this however, is being forced to take Spite, since there are no other great options for GM Reaper.

If you run BB, you run spite… If you want a condi build use RO with Dhuum and I personally like to go death with this combo for the bones. BB cannot have uses with every trait line or else it would be a broken trait. When I run death I have substantially more toughness than any necro pwr build has and can deal a ton of dmg with poison/burns. its a safe assumption that BB must be used with spite since it works the best.

BB can also be used with Blood if your wells pulse protection. Its not as effective as spite but again like I said a single trait should never work with every type of build. Simple as that (although with shipon & BB its a decent combo for health gain). Like you wouldn’t run Death Nova on a spectral build, and you wouldn’t run vampiric rituals with no wells on the bar…

just my 2 cents.

in Necromancer

Gnat.9405

If you run BB, you run spite… If you want a condi build use RO with Dhuum and I personally like to go death with this combo for the bones. BB cannot have uses with every trait line or else it would be a broken trait. When I run death I have substantially more toughness than any necro pwr build has and can deal a ton of dmg with poison/burns. its a safe assumption that BB must be used with spite since it works the best.

BB can also be used with Blood if your wells pulse protection. Its not as effective as spite but again like I said a single trait should never work with every type of build. Simple as that (although with shipon & BB its a decent combo for health gain). Like you wouldn’t run Death Nova on a spectral build, and you wouldn’t run vampiric rituals with no wells on the bar…

just my 2 cents.

Fair enough. I actually want to give this a shot tonight in Fractals, seems fun. On another note, do Strength runes proc BB?

in Necromancer

Drakril.4058

just my 2 cents.

Fair enough. I actually want to give this a shot tonight in Fractals, seems fun. On another note, do Strength runes proc BB?

I haven’t attempted this but that could add some viability for other builds.

in Necromancer

Gnat.9405

Cool, if you get a chance to do so before I do, post here? I’ll test it tonight.

in Necromancer

Ravezaar.4951

What are you running, exactly? Right now I’m running full knight + wurm runes and using spite/soul reaping/reaper. Thus far soul reaping is keeping my lifeforce generation/loss relatively stable along with the toughness, and traiting shouts allows me to use “Your Soul is Mine” enough that it does its job. Granted, I don’t sPvP, so I’m not sure what the reaper situation there is like. (Just trying to help you for the time being, btw.)

Yea I play PvP and WvW only and not to be rude YSIM dosent really work in situation when fight players instead of scripted mobs. The fact in general players burn your LF bar down alot more then PvE mobs do. That heal just cant compensate for CC special when Condis are so strong atm. And LF gain from GS AA is worthless that never lands on a player, LF from Grasping Darkness is weak aswell so only real option is GS3 and its good but tricky. Either make GS AA viable or increase LF-Gen on Grasping Death

Servant of Dhuum

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

YSIM out heals CC, as long as you have condi removal, traited YSIM is literally the strongest heal we have before you count the LF.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Dead.5829

YSIM out heals CC, as long as you have condi removal, traited YSIM is literally the strongest heal we have before you count the LF.

I don’t think I can echo this enough. This heal is insanely good, especially with Augury. It also opens up a lot of runes to be much more usable. Rune of the Trooper with just traited YSIM and Suffer is disgusting.

I really don’t get why it has such a bad rap.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

All in all the nerf only hurts because it was the only way my pvp buddy could heal me well I was in shroud.

I’m still of the opinion that if our job is to just eat damage that we need to be able to be healed in shroud. Ideally we would build LF well mitigating incoming damage as best as we can they go shroud and get our life built back up and just toggle back in forth as needed. On paper this is how we should play with things such as blood magic and blighters boon and the multitude of other siphons we have. The problem is most of them don’t help your life bar enough well in necro mode and only some of them do anything well in shroud.

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

in Necromancer

Ravezaar.4951

Iam sry I know its good Heal but for PvP its not as good

Servant of Dhuum

in Necromancer

Dead.5829

It (along with the joint YAAW synergy nerf) also nerfs your ability to actually have LF at the beginning of a fight.

That synergy was one of the best parts about shouts + BB in BWE3. Sad to see it go.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Salamander.2504

Salamander.2504

I don’t think I can echo this enough. This heal is insanely good, especially with Augury. It also opens up a lot of runes to be much more usable. Rune of the Trooper with just traited YSIM and Suffer is disgusting.

I really don’t get why it has such a bad rap.

Do soldier runes clear condis for allies with YSIM and Suffer? I’m guessing not since YSIM and Suffer don’t actually target allies?