Fixing Deathly Chill: Aura Based Damage.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Swiftwynd.1685

Swiftwynd.1685

Currently, with the 5 stack cap for Chill, a condi necromancer’s Deathly Chill has the same issue that the old design of Burning had, in that it gets constantly overriden by other players.

Thus, I present a novel solution that should hopefully be easy to implement:

Change Deathly Chill to:

“Deal condition damage to Chilled foes within 600 units.”

This would allow the Reaper to radiate damage to any Chilled foes that are around them, regardless of the source of the Chill. This also offers some slight counter play for opponents, in that escaping the “nearish” range of the reaper would make them lose the damage.

With this change, its damage could potentially be increased as well, since it would now have more play to it.

This would allow multiple reapers to “stack” their Chill based damage, and never have to worry about other classes’ Chills interfering with their condi damage.

To prevent any issues ala the old Elementalist’s Air attunement swap / well of blood on dodge trait shinanigans putting Reapers in combat when they don’t desire, it would only trigger while in combat.

Thoughts?

in Necromancer

Posted by: wolfyrik.2017

wolfyrik.2017

I like it! This would get my vote.

in Necromancer

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

This is an interesting concept. My initial impression is quite positive. I will have to think about it some more and see if there are any potential problems. But it certainly sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Valdorian.2481

Valdorian.2481

Reaper already has enough counterplay in that anyone with a brain can range them down and kite them around. I’m a fan of how chill works now, personally.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

While the consept sounds intruguing, I see a major problem with it. Condition (especially chill based ) builds are ranged by the nature of their weapons staff/dagger offhand/focus/ scepter. So by making the range 600 you actually promote a playstyle which conflicts with all the condition weapons. The only melee condition playstyle at hand is the dhuumfire reaper and they have reaper’s onslaught already.

EverythingOP

in Necromancer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Its either something like this. Or instead of chill doing damage itself you have a unique condition that applies for the same duration as your chills and ticks damage. This way it can never be overwritten. Could also allow it to stack intensity allowing for chilling bolts from whirls to be extra useful.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Its either something like this. Or instead of chill doing damage itself you have a unique condition that applies for the same duration as your chills and ticks damage. This way it can never be overwritten. Could also allow it to stack intensity allowing for chilling bolts from whirls to be extra useful.

This. We could have a “workaround” like OP said, or like this.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: zone.1073

zone.1073

This would be a good supplement to the melee style of reapers but it would take away ranged pressure options, which reapers are already very limited in.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dhampyr.2813

Dhampyr.2813

Personally when i first seen this trait I thought it might use power instead of condition damage. It just felt like it was ment for power builds. As it is now it suffers from what terror suffers from, But far more. Honestly it is a really good idea and i hope it see it being improved.

At its current state other players are a hindrance to us. Considering the whole game is designed around the opposite, Its a badly designed trait. The amount of random chills being applied actually means that we rarely get much chill damage off.

Im all for a change to radiate damage to enemies with chill on them within 600 range. not only will that mean necros can stack the trait for extra damage but other allies can help by getting there chills on a target. However they will never really know if there helping.

As for losing ranged pressure with this change, you need to remember chill is still chill. they are slowed and worse have longer cool downs.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

I’d rather the range be similar to that of Plague Signet’s passive. From a PvE standpoint, 600 range works fine; but from a PvP standpoint, 600 range is disgustingly short, especially since I have been netting many kills on people who teleport away after getting chilled and go down to the ticks while they are well over 3200 units away.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate