General PvE Build

General PvE Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Aeniklast.9283

Aeniklast.9283

Hey all!

Returning player working my way through HoT content. I’ve just finished personal story now I’m working my way through LS3.

Looking to change up my build a little. Currently running a power minion build I found a little while ago great survivability and DPS but I’ve grown a bit bored of it so I’m looking to try out a reaper build.

I’d like to find something that works with the current gear I have until I can afford to switch it up.

I have a full set of Ascended Berserker’s gear with Scholar runes and I’m looking to use my Ascended Staff / Great Sword as weapons.

Anyone have recommendations as to where to start? Any guidance is much appreciated!

General PvE Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Demoria.6745

Demoria.6745

If you’re hell-bent on using staff I’d go for something like this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQJARWjM0QLNWdD20A7NWwFs4r4XsMON2aCVBoBQAoFA-TxRBABLcIAua/R5Hlq/8wFAAPdBmpEEgnAApAGYYF-e

I personally prefer using d/wh and gs for power reaper.

General PvE Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: KTap.4381

KTap.4381

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQJARWjM0QLNWdD20A7NWwFs4r4XsMON2aCVBoBQAoFA-TxRBABLcIAua/R5Hlq/8wFAAPdBmpEEgnAApAGYYF-e

Quick question about the d/wh setup.

How do you deal with ranged engagements, or enemies that you want to fight at range?

General PvE Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

How do you deal with ranged engagements, or enemies that you want to fight at range?

Basically the reason I never go double melee. Sure its the highest dps rotation, but since when does pve allow you to do a perfect rotation? Especially in HoT maps, where things will easily down you if you do not kite, and then you won’t be doing any damage if you are kiting. So best bring a ranged option.
I suggest axe/focus (best single target).

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

General PvE Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Demoria.6745

Demoria.6745

If I want to fight at range I wouldn’t play power, condi is so much better for that. The build I previously linked have enough crowd control built in that I rarely find myself in a situation where I can’t stay in melee. The exception would be a few of the Hero Point champions in the HoT maps, but only if you’re soloing them.

I suppose “General PvE” is pretty broad, it could include world bosses like Claw of Jormag that won’t allow you to be in melee for extended periods of time, then I’d use the staff, same goes for The Mega Destroyer. As I see it though, with power reaper you have access to so much utility, both offensive and defensive. I don’t really feel the need to be at range for general open world solo play as power reaper. Still, if you are farming events with a group then I find the staff is handy for tagging as many mobs as possible.

Basically the reason I never go double melee. Sure its the highest dps rotation, but since when does pve allow you to do a perfect rotation? Especially in HoT maps, where things will easily down you if you do not kite, and then you won’t be doing any damage if you are kiting. So best bring a ranged option.

While it’s not bad advice, I’d be compelled to use traits better tailored for axe and focus when using them as one of the weapon sets. I feel the trade off makes you lose much of your AoE vulnerability application as well as the CC from warhorn. But that’s just personal preference.

The build I personally play for “General PvE” is this:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNArYRnM0AV3glbCe3As3gFcBL+K2FHjQXtAQLIaD0BGBA-TBSAQBYTJHD3fAAPBAbqEMg6Dio6PhU5QHOFABAOAGv4Bw4jP+4jPejP+4jP+4lCYRlVA-e

General PvE Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

If I want to fight at range I wouldn’t play power, condi is so much better for that. The build I previously linked have enough crowd control built in that I rarely find myself in a situation where I can’t stay in melee. The exception would be a few of the Hero Point champions in the HoT maps, but only if you’re soloing them.

I suppose “General PvE” is pretty broad, it could include world bosses like Claw of Jormag that won’t allow you to be in melee for extended periods of time, then I’d use the staff, same goes for The Mega Destroyer. As I see it though, with power reaper you have access to so much utility, both offensive and defensive. I don’t really feel the need to be at range for general open world solo play as power reaper. Still, if you are farming events with a group then I find the staff is handy for tagging as many mobs as possible.

While it’s not bad advice, I’d be compelled to use traits better tailored for axe and focus when using them as one of the weapon sets. I feel the trade off makes you lose much of your AoE vulnerability application as well as the CC from warhorn. But that’s just personal preference.

The build I personally play for “General PvE” is this:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNArYRnM0AV3glbCe3As3gFcBL+K2FHjQXtAQLIaD0BGBA-TBSAQBYTJHD3fAAPBAbqEMg6Dio6PhU5QHOFABAOAGv4Bw4jP+4jPejP+4jP+4lCYRlVA-e

Yeah I generally bring Unholy Fervor if I take axe. I prefer Bitter Chill over Spiteful Talisman for general pve though, since I’m unlikely to keep up 25 vuln without BC, so it is actually a dps gain.
http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQJARWjM0QLNWdD20A7NWwFs4r4XsMON2aCVBoBQAoFA-TxRBABLcIAua/R5Hlq/8wFAAPdBmpEEgnAApAGYYF-e
swap out UF for Chill of Death if you want to run staff (better for tagging foes in bit events like dragonstand meta).

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

General PvE Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Aeniklast.9283

Aeniklast.9283

Appreciate the replies.

I don’t think I’m enjoying reaper at all. Feels sluggish and fragile.

I prefer to use the class as a ranged class I guess.

General PvE Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ghataka.1604

Ghataka.1604

Appreciate the replies.

I don’t think I’m enjoying reaper at all. Feels sluggish and fragile.

I prefer to use the class as a ranged class I guess.

I run reaper with axe/focus and GS and it feels right and fluid, i kill the trash with axe and wells, debilitate bigger enemies with the great single target dps and when they’re 50% i just switch to GS to spam gravedigger. I also use GS if a group of enemies jump in my face without me noticing, but 80% of the time it’s axe/focus all the way.

When you stop using minions you have to get used to jump in and out of shroud to absorb hits rather than using it as a last resort when you’re about to die. Not trying to be pretentious, don’t know if you already use shroud that way, but the majority of people i’ve met had the same problem with melee survivality and the problem was their use of shroud.