Greatsword for Carrion Gear?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Shadow.7843

Shadow.7843

For PvE and WvW

Hi, I’m planning to make a reaper with Soul Reaping and Curses but I don’t know which weapons to use. I wanted to make a pure condi build but I read somewhere that power is recommended to kill structures, machines, etc much faster; so I ended up using Carrion gear. I also feel that I have to use GS or else I won’t be making the most of this elite spec. Should I go GS/Staff or GS/Scepter+Focus or Staff/Scepter+Focus or some other combination?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sororita.3465

Sororita.3465

Greatsword is a power weapon through and through, though it does work well in hybrid builds. In order for it to shine, it really needs to have precision and ferocity as well as just pure power. For this I would personally use celestial gear, there’s just enough time to get all the time gated pieces required to make it.

During the beta weekends i tried this build out:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQJARWnc0AN3gN2Am3A0biljBLOHGEPiULhnwsKqnttCAA-w

The main strength comes when fighting boon heavy opponents ( Guardians, Elementalists, some Warriors, Revenants, Rangers etc etc).

With Path of Corruption, you’ll be able to corrupt two boons on a target into conditions every 5 Seconds, coupled with corrupt boons and you can pretty much devastate boon heavy opponents.

I would use Superior Sigils of Blight and Torment in your staff, they give a chance on critical hit to apply AoE poison and AoE Torment respectively.

Do not waste your whirl finishers in your Ice Fields. Chill is all nice and good but a lot of classes have traits that either reduce the duration of it or out right remove it. Use them on your poison fields ( Corrosive poison cloud and Chillbains). Everytime you use your whirl finishers in them, you’ll sent out poison bolts resulting in some nice stacks of poison.

Commander Starlight Honeybuns[BUNS]
Timelord to Lillium Honeybuns, IoJ
Forever together, or not at all.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Coffietire.2783

Coffietire.2783

Greatsword is a power weapon through and through, though it does work well in hybrid builds. In order for it to shine, it really needs to have precision and ferocity as well as just pure power. For this I would personally use celestial gear, there’s just enough time to get all the time gated pieces required to make it.

During the beta weekends i tried this build out:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQJARWnc0AN3gN2Am3A0biljBLOHGEPiULhnwsKqnttCAA-w

The main strength comes when fighting boon heavy opponents ( Guardians, Elementalists, some Warriors, Revenants, Rangers etc etc).

With Path of Corruption, you’ll be able to corrupt two boons on a target into conditions every 5 Seconds, coupled with corrupt boons and you can pretty much devastate boon heavy opponents.

I would use Superior Sigils of Blight and Torment in your staff, they give a chance on critical hit to apply AoE poison and AoE Torment respectively.

Do not waste your whirl finishers in your Ice Fields. Chill is all nice and good but a lot of classes have traits that either reduce the duration of it or out right remove it. Use them on your poison fields ( Corrosive poison cloud and Chillbains). Everytime you use your whirl finishers in them, you’ll sent out poison bolts resulting in some nice stacks of poison.

I took your build and put some stats on it, let me know what you think.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQJARWnc0AN3gN2Am3A0biljBLOHGEPiULhnwsKqnttCAA-TVSLABVt/gEqqwqSoS1E4jSwXUi8gaF9o8AAdAAA-w

I compared this to full celestial and most stats stay the same, you loose armor and vitality and 1% crit damage while gaining a spike of power on the sword and condition damage on the staff.

in Necromancer

Sororita.3465

Nice for PvE, i always prefer more defensive stats in addition to offense stats for WvW. Celestial gives both as well as giving you a bigger total in all to work with.

I play tanky power builds so i can’t stand anything too squishy. I run around with 3200 armor for instance….( 2800 power, 3200 armor, 25k hp, 200% crit damage).

in Necromancer

Posted by: Coffietire.2783

Coffietire.2783

Nice for PvE, i always prefer more defensive stats in addition to offense stats for WvW. Celestial gives both as well as giving you a bigger total in all to work with.

I play tanky power builds so i can’t stand anything too squishy. I run around with 3200 armor for instance….( 2800 power, 3200 armor, 25k hp, 200% crit damage).

Perhaps so, I tried a more defensive approach of this build (w/ carrion) in BWE2 and it was a tad frustrating. With a loss in power, you have to almost guarantee that grave digger crits.

in Necromancer

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Wait for HoT. Pretty sure new gear stat combinations are coming with it.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

slap perplexity runes on the gear and you’re good to go

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in Necromancer

Posted by: tosh.2580

tosh.2580

Can I see your build and how you got that much stats? I’m curious since I’ll be running valk on my armor with soldiers on trinkets.

in Necromancer

Sororita.3465

Can I see your build and how you got that much stats? I’m curious since I’ll be running valk on my armor with soldiers on trinkets.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNAoYWjc0QjNWbDm3AHOOOGK5H8zDN9HeiYN2zbbAA-TVSBABBu/QWK9aUJonq/0lygFOEAa8EAyTfAAnAASBExWL-w

Not to mention additional WvW stats, Boarderland Bloodlust and then guard killer/defense buff. ( Dont forget Bloodlust Sigil stacks).

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Want power, vitality, ferocity gear.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kikidori.5916

Kikidori.5916