Hey guys, axe is amazing now!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Flame Of The Titan.3649

Flame Of The Titan.3649

….If this were the fractal dungeon in a parallel world.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Yareon.2835

Yareon.2835

Ahahahah, for a moment I thought someone was serious about this….. unfortunately axe is still a bad weapon

in Necromancer

Posted by: Gryph.8237

Gryph.8237

axe 1 was the skill needing a buff, not 2, or 3. Do these guys play this game?

in Necromancer

Posted by: TehGFreeman.1534

TehGFreeman.1534

I tried Axe out after the update on a 5V5 Match and I was top of the board, killed a lot of people (Warriors, Thieves, Guardians, Rangers (A lot of Rangers lol there were so many on last nigh XD), and Elementalists) With only my axe, I even found it strange that I didn’t Switch to my other weapon.

Not trying to be “That Guy”, the one who has to defend everything but there was a definite improvement with it. Before I got kills and it was a Life force generator mostly but it isn’t as bad as it use to be IMO.

EDIT: Also I was a power build, but I wasn’t Berserker amulet full crit squishy build either.

“Destroying my minions?, I’ll make more.”

in Necromancer

Posted by: Piriripak.8063

Piriripak.8063

There was NOT a significant improvement to it, and one games proves nothing neither does being top of the board, but if you enjoy it, good.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kardiamond.6952

Kardiamond.6952

I tried Axe out after the update on a 5V5 Match and I was top of the board, killed a lot of people (Warriors, Thieves, Guardians, Rangers (A lot of Rangers lol there were so many on last nigh XD), and Elementalists) With only my axe, I even found it strange that I didn’t Switch to my other weapon.

Not trying to be “That Guy”, the one who has to defend everything but there was a definite improvement with it. Before I got kills and it was a Life force generator mostly but it isn’t as bad as it use to be IMO.

EDIT: Also I was a power build, but I wasn’t Berserker amulet full crit squishy build either.

So 10% damage increase on ONE of the three attack, which has a cooldown, so you’ll use it maybe 1-2 time during a fight, made you a god in pvp?

Don’t think so man

I have been using Axe for so long, and this change is welcome! But it’s still subpar to our other weapon.

Like others side, #1 really need something more!

Rotthen (Necro) / Zhyx (Engineer) /Inglorious Beasterd (Ranger)
Server : Anvil Rock (Since Release!) [SOLO]

in Necromancer

Posted by: BurnedToast.3781

BurnedToast.3781

What’s wrong with #1?

The raw damage is not amazing, but it’s not terrible either – compare it to an actually terrible autoattack like engineer rifle 1. It also adds 2 stacks of vulnerability (5s) every 3/4ths of a second, so it’s sustaining ~ 8% – 10% extra damage for your whole group (less since you stop to use other skills, but more if you spec into spite for increased condition duration).

skill 2 is great, skill 3 is respectable (damage not amazing, but AoE cripple and potentially a very long duration retaliation).

So far after the #2 buff, I’m actually reasonably happy with axe.

Edit: I guess I should be clear this is for PvE. I can see why people might not like it as well for PvP

in Necromancer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Heh, i find myself musing if the damage increase was pr attack or in total. If they increased the damage pr attack than we would get a 80% increase thru a whole channel. A guy can dream, right?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cempa.3645

Cempa.3645

Could you share the build? Trying to figure out how to trait after the 20% extra Axe dmg :/ Signet or corruption or spectral…

in Necromancer

Posted by: PinCushion.7390

PinCushion.7390

I find it not awful now. It isn’t amazing, but it isn’t awful.

Just to try it out, I tried a power build designed to stack vuln. Axe 2 was hitting for 2 to 3k non crit. Around 4k crit. That’s with 20 stacks of vuln and the Axe Training trait (which also gives it a 6 second cooldown). So, we won’t be bursting anyone to death anytime soon with that. But still it isn’t terrible.

Patch took the weapon from “Terrible” to “Mediocre.” It’s at least a step in the right direction.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lifelike.5862

Lifelike.5862

I actually use Axe/Mace for my silly control build, and I don’t see what’s so bad about it. Makes up for my poor damage as opposed to mace/mace while still offering some nice control thanks to a ranged cripple that becomes an immob thanks to my traits.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nuhj.8372

Nuhj.8372

I actually use Axe/Mace for my silly control build, and I don’t see what’s so bad about it. Makes up for my poor damage as opposed to mace/mace while still offering some nice control thanks to a ranged cripple that becomes an immob thanks to my traits.

Warrior Forums this way =>

in Necromancer

Cempa.3645

I find it not awful now. It isn’t amazing, but it isn’t awful.

Just to try it out, I tried a power build designed to stack vuln. Axe 2 was hitting for 2 to 3k non crit. Around 4k crit. That’s with 20 stacks of vuln and the Axe Training trait (which also gives it a 6 second cooldown). So, we won’t be bursting anyone to death anytime soon with that. But still it isn’t terrible.

Patch took the weapon from “Terrible” to “Mediocre.” It’s at least a step in the right direction.

I think its meant to be combined with something else…Either a minion or Conditions.

in Necromancer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Except that conditions are not affected by vulnerability, only direct damage are (making might the better choice in the long run).

in Necromancer

Kardiamond.6952

What’s wrong with #1?

The raw damage is not amazing, but it’s not terrible either – compare it to an actually terrible autoattack like engineer rifle 1. It also adds 2 stacks of vulnerability (5s) every 3/4ths of a second, so it’s sustaining ~ 8% – 10% extra damage for your whole group (less since you stop to use other skills, but more if you spec into spite for increased condition duration).

skill 2 is great, skill 3 is respectable (damage not amazing, but AoE cripple and potentially a very long duration retaliation).

So far after the #2 buff, I’m actually reasonably happy with axe.

Edit: I guess I should be clear this is for PvE. I can see why people might not like it as well for PvP

Terrible Engineer Auto atatck? Are you serious lol? :P

Man my main was an engineer, and I was critting for 1.6k on Auto attack, with a 1200 range. It was also percing target. Since playing my Necro, I miss rifle auto attack, it’s amazing. Don’t know what you think is wrong with it.

Axe #1 got a low damage output, and except for PvE Swarming, I find vuln to be one of the weaker condition. It still useful, but it stack slowly on the target.

You are talking about PvE, were axe is a lot better. But in WvW, stacking vuln will be a pain.

I use #4 focus to stack vuln, and I will maybe hit 1-2 time with #1 only because it’s auto attack. You are losing too much dps using #1 to make it worth it. As soon as I casted my #2-3-4-5 on Axe, I switch to dagger. #1 isn’t worth the dps loss.

And between 600 range and 130 range of dagger, there isn’t much difference. Might as well go melee and triple your dps output.

Overall, I don’t think Axe is a awful weapon, I think it’s decent. But I still feel kittened taking it over Staff, even if I use a MM build, which Axe is proly made for.

in Necromancer

BurnedToast.3781

lvl 46 necromancer with 930 power – axe autoattack 224

lvl 66 engineer with 1193 power – rifle autoattack 248

On top of that, the engineer power tree is pretty terrible for using the rifle, while the necromancer power tree has both the axe trait AND the focus trait (focus is best pair for axe IMO) together.

Oh yeah axe trait is +15% damage AND 20% reduced cooldowns in one. Engineer has to pay 2 trait slots (in the condition damage tree) for 10% damage and 20% cooldowns.

So yeah. You’re not the first person I’ve heard say engineer rifle autoattack is great but I don’t understand that… it’s pretty bad.

in Necromancer

Kardiamond.6952

I have terrible gear with my Engineer and I’m hiting for 1.6k crit, while my all exotic necro will hit for 1.1k max after the 2 attack hit. Not counting thew 600 range difference between the 2.

Easy to kite with the rifle, a lot harder with axe range.

On paper it might looks like it for the traits, but you have to take that into practice.

To get the Axe Training traits, you have to put 30 points in spite, and you also have to NOT take Close to death or what ever the name of the 20% more damage at 50%. I tried it for a week, and taking the axe traits is a waste. Most of the time you don’t need the reduce cooldown on the skill, and 15% more damage isn’t that great ether for 3 skill. You can get 20% increase for like half the fight duration on ALL skill with the other trait.

For the engi, 10% damage increase for rifle AND harpoon gun is really good as it’s a 20 point traits and affect 2 weapon. You don’t have to sacrifice a vital traits ether.

Also, the reduce cooldown Affect not only rifle 5(FIVE) abilities, but also affect EG. That’s why it’s on a different traits, like the staff, because it affect 5 abilities.

I didn’t do any direct test, but even if you tell me Axe damage is on par with Rifle damage, I would never trade rifle #1 for Axe #1. 600 range really? 1050 range untraited rifle is nearly the double, you can stay out of range and just dish crazy damage.

But I think our opinion disparency come from you doing PvE and me doing WvW/PvP. The dynamic isn’t the same, and 500 range in WvW is vital.

Have a good day!

in Necromancer

Cempa.3645

LF any one with something positive to say about Axe and a suggested build?

in Necromancer

BurnedToast.3781

Well I agree for PvP/WvW eng. rifle is probably better overall because of the range, and because axe #2 is channeled which makes it very easy to dodge and thus negate 90% of the damage, and also because everyone spams condition removal so you can never stack any vulnerability with #1 either.

in Necromancer

Kardiamond.6952

Well I agree for PvP/WvW eng. rifle is probably better overall because of the range, and because axe #2 is channeled which makes it very easy to dodge and thus negate 90% of the damage, and also because everyone spams condition removal so you can never stack any vulnerability with #1 either.

We can agree on that And I can agree that #1 isn’t bad in PvE, but I rarely use it.

@Cempa -> Axe is still viable, especially with a MM build. I run a Axe/Focus and Dagger/Warhorn Minion Master build in WvW.

Just stack vuln with #4 focus, then use your #2 Axe channeling. When I have my dps gear on, I can crit for 6k damage. And it was before the buff.

Axe is more of a off hand weapon for me, I use all the cooldown, then switch to Dagger for immobilize and DPS. Minion also take advantage of the vuln cond, so it’s not lost.

What I dislike about Axe #1 is, I just rarely use it enought to stack vuln. I also think Axe Training Grand Master trait should be ether in Death traits line, or lower then Grand master (30 points!) or buffed so it’s viable to take it over Closer to Death.

I want something to make up for not using staff, having 600 less range, and missing those sweeeeeeet AoE marks.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Hanzo.9624

Hanzo.9624

I run 30/10/0/0/30 with axe/focus and dagger/warhorn. 6/6 Dolyak runes. I love this build and so far I haven’t had problems dealing with anyone outside of the norm obviously. Utilities are spectral walk for stun break, life force gen and heal jukes. Well of darkness and well of suffering with plague as elite. Trait for death shroud. Use axe/focus to stack vuln, cripple in your wells with #3, swap to dagger for steady dps and life force gen. When appropriate use warhorn stun then swap to axe for axe #2 for good damage. On glass cannons it literally just rips them apart. Can use warhorn 5, focus 5, death shroud 2 for gap closers (dagger 3 root could be counted too). Well of darkness ruins thieves backstab combo. You leave consistent aoe damage which sucks but with axe 3, both wells dropped and then plague cloud with blind spam you provide good utility for your team to capture nodes. I feel this build provides solid single target sustained dps, great survivabilty when using death shroud appropriately (ie not just sitting in it until your bar runs out but popping in and out at the right time, making use of foot in the grave and the aoe bleed when you activate ds), and solid aoe utilities for group support. Spectral walk is huge. It’s so helpful for stun breaks, gap closing, escapes. Sorry for this crappy post I’m on my phone lol. Message me for more info if anyone cares.

in Necromancer

Posted by: TehGFreeman.1534

TehGFreeman.1534

Fair enough if no one else shares my view about axe, I like it so far. Like I said I’m not going to be the guy who will blindly defend something and I’m not going to impose my views on someone.

My build was something along the lines of this, and People are probably going to find holes in it but it worked so I was happy with it.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fQUQRBHhhG1IjWleom1GDfiA6xueftiUcshRpwdrD;TsAg1UcZ4SwllLHXSuWFMKYDxECA

Traits/sigils/utilities are yours to customize I threw this together last night to try out axe, there is probably a better combination somewhere. I would also consider changing D/D (if you were going for Main Axe/XXX) for Staff (AoE and Control) or Scepter (Condition control), This is also for a bit of range, though Axe is Med range so you could just use that if you want.

As for the 1 game don’t prove anything, I’ve been PVPing more today and I still haven’t had a hard time with it

“Destroying my minions?, I’ll make more.”

(edited by TehGFreeman.1534)