How does Necro do in WvW?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Orpheus.7891

Orpheus.7891

Just started playing this game and leveling wise I see a LOT of people leveling Rangers. I plan to mainly WvW and if I’m lucky maybe find a guild that I can PvE with and I just wanted to know how well Necro does in WvW combat. Both in groups and solo

in Necromancer

Posted by: Hattoni.8597

Hattoni.8597

GWEN is still meta. Rangers are simply easier than necros and that’s the reason why more people level them.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Orpheus.7891

Orpheus.7891

What does “GWEN is still meta” mean?

in Necromancer

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

Gwen= Guardians, Warriors, Eles, Necros; It’s the meta for large scale groups ( 15+).
Necros are top tier in zergs, but mainly unwanted in dungeons and roaming. They are fine in pvp.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

in Necromancer

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

GWEN = Guardian, Warrior, Elementalist, Necromancer. The primary zerg composition.

I’ve been playing Necromancer for well over a year and I mainly solo roam. It’s very capable in all areas of WvW although you need to develop a spidey sense for danger if you’re solo roaming with it since there’s no way to disengage. Otherwise, WvW is probably the one place Necro really excels. It’s very strong in both small and large scale although in smaller groups of maybe 5 – 10 you’ll probably get focused a lot. In zergs, lots of health to survive and lots of damage to spread around, solo, extremely difficult for all professions to deal with and your only real counter is CC Warriors, Rangers if you don’t LOS them and sometimes Medi-Guards. Otherwise not much else is a threat to you.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Necromancer

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Necros are very strong in zerg wvw, if not key, due to their ability to corrupt boons and inflict nasty conditions such as chill. Their main weaknesses of a lack of mobility, dodges, and stability are covered by their allies thus they are free to unload their powerful life blasts— wells that would be trivially easy to dodge are death traps thanks to your fellow warriors stunning people into place. Necros can single handedly change the flow of a fight by assassinating targets— some particularly nasty ones have been known to single out the enemy driver and corrupt boon them into oblivion.

Necros are weak at solo roaming because they do not have good mobility or means of escape. They are hardly defenseless though, because they are still very strong duelers, and often cause thieves and engineers to make angry posts on the forums. It’s just that when you get outnumbered, stuff goes downhill.

In roaming groups where allies have your back when you get focused, the enemy giving you a moment’s time to gather a breather is often all you need to completely destroy them if you know what you are doing.

Despite Arenanet’s constant attempts to sabotage this class, the necromancer is a powerful wildcard in wvw. It is frustrating to play at times because wvw maps are so large and necros are so slow, but overall the class is still best enjoyed here because they can always be a threat. Unlike some other wvw mainstays, the necro also has a lot of variety in build and skill choices. And above all else, fearing someone off a cliff is always fun even if you can’t win the battle.

And although many do not consider EOTM to be really wvw, bringing a necro there too, is really funny. Sending 20-30 nubs off a bridge is cruel, but still…

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Thustlewhumber.7416

Thustlewhumber.7416

If you want a lot of bags (and I do mean a LOT) play a necro. Everything you lay down affects 5 people per tick, and all you gotta do it hit them once. The copper-fed salvage-o-matic will be your friend.

WvW Necro

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

The only real problem I can see with necro is the lack of a ranged power weapon, & no staff does not count as it’s a utility weapon.

Personally I wish they would bake the base damage from axe mastery into the axe then have it increase axe range by 300 then change axe number 3 so it is ground targeted.

This would create an actual role for the axe because as is its near useless.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

I’m honestly not doing that great, but I’ve only been playing Necro consistently for a couple weeks now. The lack of mobility skill (not even one…) makes roaming a hassle abd the lack of any way to get toughness on a power build kind of forces you into a condi build which is kinda boring imo. But I’m new so can’t say how much is class and how much is me.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Builds for zerg and siege leave you vulnerable in roaming, havoc, and dueling. It just is that way but Necro is good in WvW.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Builds for zerg and siege leave you vulnerable in roaming, havoc, and dueling. It just is that way but Necro is good in WvW.

Then it is a good thing you can change builds on the fly^^

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Equip a staff. It’s pretty good for roaming and it is your sieging and primary zergfight weapon due to being 1200 range and all AoE.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Equip a staff. It’s pretty good for roaming and it is your sieging and primary zergfight weapon due to being 1200 range and all AoE.

Staff is always good.^^

I think i never did run a build that didnt had staff in one weapon slot, even in pve lol. And since the projectile speed boost on the aa, it is better then ever.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

necro is ok if supported, terribad when roaming on power spec ad dead meat running into a ranger that can keep it’s range.
Pew pew dead is basicly the reason necro’s can’t roam.

That and lack of mobility/blink/tp/invul/etc/etc/etc

When zerging you play power well spec, when roaming you pay full glass zerk or condi, neither are significant if your opponent is mobile hence you will only win versus overconfidence and basically lose versus anyone that knows how to play their profession. especially because every player knows necro’s weakness. range/mobility/sluggish casttimes/ targeting failures all around. (why does necro need LoS as a casting profession with homing projectiles?? further more, why homing projectiles? they never hit anyway)

Man i can go on and on about how bad this profession is becoming no wonder I hardly visit this subforum

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Smoke.9273

Smoke.9273

As people have already said, power necros are an intricate part of the large scale meta.

If you indeed play a power necro, go (almost) full Berserker. If you want some extra toughness, take a look at changing out some Berserker for Cavalier, to retain high Critical Damage. But your survival/defense is mostly not coming from defensive stats, but from positioning and from outbursting other burst classes like thiefs, mesmers.
Try out a 62006 build.
When you are build like this, you probably wont have to change much when doing largescale or smallscale/roaming. I mostly just change my utilities: from 2 Wells + Spectral Armor or Corrupt Boon to Flesh Wurm, Spectral Armor and Spectral Walk.

Riay
Fused with my Shroud

in Necromancer

Posted by: Crius.5487

Crius.5487

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Necromancer_-_Wells_Backline

Since the ele tornado nerf people are looking more towards necros for the AOE damage. Roaming is rough on a necromancer because of the lack of mobility however their AOE damage is why they are critical in large scale fights. As previously stated in this thread, you can go full zerk and stay alive if you maintain proper positioning.

You can AOE chill
You can AOE boon strip
You can AOE apply vunerability
You can AOE bomb a hole into the ground

When your melee can lock down the enemy inside your necro bombs, they turn into bags.

Here’s some video of NA T1 prime time action on a necro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIcltKoxbME

You see one lich go up, two lich, three lich, liches go down, four more lich pop up. The necros were real that night.

Jade Quarry since Beta

in Necromancer

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

I love my necro in WvW. I am currently using a condi build with wells. I don’t do much large zerg stuff but with a small havoc group it is lots of fun. Boon corruption, AoE blinds and vuln, throw on epidemic and soon everyones blind, poisoned, vulnerable, chilled and bleeding out.

I have fun with it.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

in Necromancer

Posted by: Thustlewhumber.7416

Thustlewhumber.7416

Here’s some video of NA T1 prime time action on a necro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIcltKoxbME

You see one lich go up, two lich, three lich, liches go down, four more lich pop up. The necros were real that night.

Nice video, good positioning. I like how you can strafe left while bombing. I would say to be a bit more aggressive with your bombs when you see them clumped up, but otherwise good job. I liked that steady stream of loot coming in

WvW Necro

in Necromancer

Posted by: Hamster.4861

Hamster.4861

Guardians and warriors keep the zerg moving through everything. Elementalists provide the Sustain (water fields, area denial and cc) and Necromancers provide the damage.
6/2/0/0/6 necros are lethal in WvW, especially for big fights. If you can boonrip and chill an enemy zerg before your hammertrain hits it, you can pretty much guarantee some bags on that push.

Necros are an important part of the spike/area burst that goes on in zerg fights

in Necromancer

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

As people have been saying, we are part of the Gwen meta, and 1v1 are good at holding our own. Honestly though, I don’t like to Zerg and instead enjoy roaming with my group of friends or by myself. I think necro is probably one of the best, least IMO, for taking camps quickly since as a conditionmancer I can usually take one in around 30 seconds, same for wellomancer, and even Minion Master if you pay attention to the position of your bone minions and time their putrid explosion right.

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

in Necromancer

Posted by: L Step.8659

L Step.8659

Necro will do really well in wvw tagging/usefullness wise so I wouldn’t worry about lacking in it if it’s what you want to play.

ReRolled [Re] GvG Hero/Wannabe

Best NA rallybot on EU