in Necromancer

Posted by: geekilo.8512

geekilo.8512

What are your opinion on the GS ?? in pvp, pve, wvw,

How is the GS ??

in Necromancer

Posted by: Pandabro.8743

Pandabro.8743

Core for PVE power builds. Pretty bad in everything else.

How is the GS ??

in Necromancer

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

Good for PvE, decent as frontline shout reaper in WvW, but bad everything else.

How is the GS ??

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dead.5829

Dead.5829

I keep going back to it in spvp, but I do find that I require the Sigil of Intelligence and Superior Sigil of Speed/Alacrity to really make it work.

But when it does… >:D

How is the GS ??

in Necromancer

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

I tried a duo in PvP, my gf on blood-SR-reaper with GS (zerker ammy), me on chrono trying to maximize quickness uptime and making sure she survives. It was decent, but not necessarily amazing. And fall into pieces whenever we get separated. I was a bit disappointed.

How is the GS ??

in Necromancer

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

Kinda ok…..over hyped IMO. It was fun I guess for a few days but for wvw I don’t care for it too much. It does have a nice great sword run skill in reaper mode and stability for escaping zergs, but overall meh.

How is the GS ??

in Necromancer

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

Problem with GS in sPvP is that it’s a power weapon. And the higher you go in divisions, the more you’ll be switching to viable meta which are either condi/viper reaper or cele signet reaper, or variations of both. GS just does not cut it because pure power does not work against meta builds such as condi revs, bunker mes, etc..

I wish GS was better honestly, as reapers still need help in sPvP. GS is viewed as good in PvE mainly because of gravedigger cleave. You take that out, you’ll find GS to be extremely lackluster. And well gravedigger cleave just doesn’t happen often in PvP as you’ll get knocked around too often.

Buffing GS so it becomes viable in higher tier PvP will really help reapers out.

How is the GS ??

in Necromancer

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

Ive reported poeple for wearing GS in pvp.

Im not only one, others have also noticed that they must keep their GS hidden at start of match or team will be demoralized and afk.

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

How is the GS ??

in Necromancer

geekilo.8512

I do agree GS on necro is better for PVE than PVP

How is the GS ??

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dead.5829

Dead.5829

Im not only one, others have also noticed that they must keep their GS hidden at start of match or team will be demoralized and afk.

Sound like great peeps.

How is the GS ??

in Necromancer

Posted by: Mercurias.1826

Mercurias.1826

Sound like great peeps.

Sounds like they’re the sort of people I wouldn’t want to deal with anyway.

GS is a pretty great Power weapon for PvE, but it plays more like a Hammer than any other class’s version of the greatsword in terms of speed, and in PvP and WvW that can be a big problem. Personally, since I run a lot of PvE, I love the thing. I tend not to use it in PvP or WvW unless it involves breaking fortifications or something.

How is the GS ??

in Necromancer

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

In pvp it’s not too hot. It’s supposed to help keep enemy pinned in melee but fails horribly at that task.

1. auto attack is one of the two biggest offenders. Not only is it horribly slow (which makes sense to a degree since it’s a necro) but it has abysmal 130 units reach. Pair that up with necro’s movement speed (or more precisely lack of) and you got an auto that’s incredibly difficult to land. Especially with the last hit (the chilling one) taking forever and having visual cue biggeer then great wall of China..

2. gravedigger – big risk big reward. Huge, long windup (though not that much longer then horrid auto) but for a big damage payoff at and, and no cooldown if it hits a downed opponent or someone below 50% hp. Sounds real good, but in reality you won’t use it too much. In 1v1 it’s very easy to spot and dodge. In group situations by the time gravedigger lands you may end up eating more damage yourself from the aoe spam from enemies.

3. again huge windup for big reward (12 stacks of vulni). Unlike the auto attack however this one comes with respectable reach (220 units) for that reason this skill is actually good and balanced.

4. though it inflicts darkness and cripple this is the brightest ray of hope for necro gs. Fast to cast, creates growing aoe that pulses blinds and cripples every 2s. I would dare say open up with this one and then go for aa. Most enemies will dodge on the spot, burning their escape and making it easier to land that aa.

5. Grasping Darkness. Second biggest offender in the “GS sucks” case. A ranged mob pull with freeze on 30s cooldown. Sounds awesome. But this ain’t a recording studio it’s a pvp gs review. And in practice it’s horrid.

Tracking issues, very visible cue, 30s cooldown, all too often becoming aegis fodder instead of a pull, people having quite the amounts of stab. All this ofc can be worked around (if you’re lucky with single “Nothing can save you!” cast), but the point is a relentless pursuer that the reaper is supposed to be should a better capability for dragging his prey back into melee range, rather then once every 30s shot.

6. Greatsword trait is stuck with chilling victory and decimate defenses as alternatives. Decimate being triple A trait of extreme importance for tougher power builds, while chilling victory a great source of might and life force for those who like to stay cool in a group of enemies.

7. Reaper shroud. The last nail in the coffin. Why bother with slow gs auto when you got fast aa on rs and with respectable reach to boot? (170 minimum)? Need to chase down fleeing enemy? Here gap closer is a 6s cooldown not 30. Stability? Check! Fear to control them? Double Check! Freezing and stun in one? Check-o!

And you don’t need to wield a greatsword for all the above!

(edited by ZeftheWicked.3076)

How is the GS ??

in Necromancer

Posted by: CodeHavoc.7926

CodeHavoc.7926

Even though it’s mainly power based I find myself taking it more than staff, which is debatable on which is better at gaining LF. It works pretty decently in pwr/condition builds though.

Necro Jesus is a thing apparently
The Zerker Bunker meta is the biggest bug in the game

How is the GS ??

in Necromancer

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

GS is slow and absolutely boring, like the rest of this entire profession… Reaper shroud stuff is on the slightly ok side, and the only redeeming quality of this class.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

How is the GS ??

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

On the PvP front, I would say that Greatsword is all right for teamfight builds like soldier shout Reaper, since the general confusion and target-rich environment mean that you are probably landing something. On nodes, Grasping darkness does work reliably (since it’s flat) and Nightfall is always good in teamfights.

In other situations, I’d say it’s not worth it when fighting players.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

How is the GS ??

in Necromancer

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

GS is barely good for PvE and not even the best weapon for Dungeons.
Basicly have just a little more damage than the AA of the Dagger and only when the boss is under 50% of hp and you can spam Gravedigger. But for all the time you need to take down the enemy under that 50%hp your Gs is a really useless weapon.

Actually the GS is only good to have Fun in PvE doing events in maguuma.

I’m really sad about that.

How is the GS ??

in Necromancer

Posted by: wolfyrik.2017

wolfyrik.2017

It doesn’t help that the #5 pull is just as glitchy as other pull skills, such as Magnet. The slightest pixel, he slightest differenc in elevation and you get a skill that damages nothing, pulls nothing, chills nothing then goes immediately onto it’s 30 sec CD.

I’d prefer that it closed gaps by working like Thief’s Steal. Delivering chill on impact, insta-cast and allowing you to cast a longer windup skill before hitting it. This would be more in keeping with the movie-monster theme than the present iteration and would be vastly more useful in all aspects of the game. The only downside is that it would be just as glitchy as other shadow-steps. That’s not really a loss though compared to Pulls.

Casts and aftercasts need a mild-reduction, the big risk-big reward sounds great in principal, but what we have now is massive risk, decent-ish reward.

How is the GS ??

in Necromancer

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

Pve is amazing.

PvP is a bit tricky, but built right it can be quite good actually, especially in 1v1. (Quite good not the best!) And yes I have had exp with it and still using it atm.

In wvw, I don’t have much exp with it, but front lines would be good but solo/roaming prop not.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

How is the GS ??

in Necromancer

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

I just played another set of games in GS since i just made new div.

Im ashamed i threw a chance to sparr since i had good enemys and i would deserve dishonor stacks.

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

How is the GS ??

in Necromancer

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

I don’t have much PvP experience at all, only did it to get the inquest leggings. When fighting on point it does well, that #4 is amazing, but the problem is you have no way to drag or pull people in range reliable since the 5 is so buggy. And you have to hope your enemies defenses are down or they screw up royally to land the big damaging/game changer attacks like GSaa chain and gravedigger. It can really shine in a teamfights on point but that’s only if you’re not focused down.

You can make it work I think just, why bother is the question. I still love it though and being the stubborn mule I am, will probably keep taking it…if I ever decide to get back into the hot mess that is PvP in this game. -_-

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

How is the GS ??

in Necromancer

geekilo.8512

In pvp it’s not too hot. It’s supposed to help keep enemy pinned in melee but fails horribly at that task.

1. auto attack is one of the two biggest offenders. Not only is it horribly slow (which makes sense to a degree since it’s a necro) but it has abysmal 130 units reach. Pair that up with necro’s movement speed (or more precisely lack of) and you got an auto that’s incredibly difficult to land. Especially with the last hit (the chilling one) taking forever and having visual cue biggeer then great wall of China..

2. gravedigger – big risk big reward. Huge, long windup (though not that much longer then horrid auto) but for a big damage payoff at and, and no cooldown if it hits a downed opponent or someone below 50% hp. Sounds real good, but in reality you won’t use it too much. In 1v1 it’s very easy to spot and dodge. In group situations by the time gravedigger lands you may end up eating more damage yourself from the aoe spam from enemies.

3. again huge windup for big reward (12 stacks of vulni). Unlike the auto attack however this one comes with respectable reach (220 units) for that reason this skill is actually good and balanced.

4. though it inflicts darkness and cripple this is the brightest ray of hope for necro gs. Fast to cast, creates growing aoe that pulses blinds and cripples every 2s. I would dare say open up with this one and then go for aa. Most enemies will dodge on the spot, burning their escape and making it easier to land that aa.

5. Grasping Darkness. Second biggest offender in the “GS sucks” case. A ranged mob pull with freeze on 30s cooldown. Sounds awesome. But this ain’t a recording studio it’s a pvp gs review. And in practice it’s horrid.

Tracking issues, very visible cue, 30s cooldown, all too often becoming aegis fodder instead of a pull, people having quite the amounts of stab. All this ofc can be worked around (if you’re lucky with single “Nothing can save you!” cast), but the point is a relentless pursuer that the reaper is supposed to be should a better capability for dragging his prey back into melee range, rather then once every 30s shot.

6. Greatsword trait is stuck with chilling victory and decimate defenses as alternatives. Decimate being triple A trait of extreme importance for tougher power builds, while chilling victory a great source of might and life force for those who like to stay cool in a group of enemies.

7. Reaper shroud. The last nail in the coffin. Why bother with slow gs auto when you got fast aa on rs and with respectable reach to boot? (170 minimum)? Need to chase down fleeing enemy? Here gap closer is a 6s cooldown not 30. Stability? Check! Fear to control them? Double Check! Freezing and stun in one? Check-o!

And you don’t need to wield a greatsword for all the above!

@ #7. That’s what i thought, why use slow GS when you have Reaper shroud…. i feel like GS need a twist or rework.

How is the GS ??

in Necromancer

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

@ #7. That’s what i thought, why use slow GS when you have Reaper shroud…. i feel like GS need a twist or rework.

I think it’s problem is that it has big payoffs but no ways to set up for those payoffs in its own kit, you have to take utilities designed to compliment the GS itself.

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.