How the Changes Have Improved the Necro Class

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

WARNING*** This thread not for condi necros

If you don’t appreciate the changes made, then chances are you are running a tank condi build, probably the meta. If this is the case then the changes will not help you at all.

After messing with the build editor, I have noticed that the changes have made the necromancer the most survivable damage dealing profession:

The reduction of all spec armour cds have made it possible to gain protection permanently . Worth noting that protection is most valuable when your armour is high with decent hp, i am happy to tell you that necros can now gain this protection with over 20k hp and 2600 armour (3000 while channeling) without sacrificing damage

The increase in swiftness duration from the warhorn has made permanent swiftness easier to get, while applying permanent cripple. From someone whose play style revolves around movement, this is invaluable.

We all know investing into both death magic and curses gives you permanent fury, but now investing into the death magic line to get it, now increases both damage and survivabilty. With the change to unholy sanctuary. You can now “death flash” (going in and out of death shroud for fury) when near death, burst and still live. You couldnt before because of the death shroud cooldown.

If you are skilled and geared correctly, you can completely lock down your target while dealing very high damage before taking any damage from your target. Im sorry thieves but from what im seeing, killing a good power necro is now substantially more difficult, near impossible. (sucks cuz i wanted to make a thief).

The real effectiveness of the changes is not from the changes themselves but how they work with the existing mechanics. If you notice, I used the word permanently 4 times. It is worth mentioning that all 4 can be done simultaneously in the same power necro build.

Sorry guys but i don’t think i will be posting the build yet, but i assure you the changes made were hardly minor.

(edited by Ragion.2831)

in Necromancer

Posted by: flow.6043

flow.6043

If you notice, I used the word permanently 4 times. It is worth mentioning that all 4 can be done simultaneously in the same power necro build.

Permanent Protection… how?

Permanent swiftness/cripple: already possible.

Permanent fury:
How about instead of just flashing DS you stay in Shroud and enjoy +50% crit chance instead of just +20%? Which btw makes you inherently more tanky than taking damage to your regular hp while having protection.

Also, condi builds do profit from the Last Gasp buff as well, and of course stomp/rezzing in Shroud.

in Necromancer

Ragion.2831

Because dd and axe crits do more damage than life blast crits.

Permanent protection is achieved using rune of the forgeman. However there is a 7 second gap after last grasp activates the second time, so i suppose it is virtually permanent protection. Still, 53 seconds of protection is still quite insane with the 20k hp and ds

(edited by Ragion.2831)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Because dd auto crit and ghastly claws crits do more damage than life blast crits.

Permanent protection is achieved using rune of the forgeman. However there is a 7 second gap after last grasp activates the second time, so i suppose it is virtually permanent protection. Still 53 seconds of protection is still quite insane with the 20k hp and ds

Lol why would you use rune of forgeman when necromancer dont really have much burn? You are wasting stats with that rune on necromancer…

I would rather take rune of grove or earth then forgeman ….

in Necromancer

Posted by: Brujeria.7536

Brujeria.7536

This is completly wrong. With a build you pointed out you can have at max 2 points in spite. You loose at least 20% damage from Close to death. We have exactly 2 options to get protection, not counting runes. These are rather long durations, but also long cooldowns, so if any of those are stolen corrupted etc. you dont have that uptime. Also when going 3 in curses, and 6 in DM you cant go 6 into Soul reaping. You miss on 50% extra crit while in DS. If you use zerker gear to still do damage and shrouddancing you will die, your spectral skills wont be of much use, as the lf generation either overflows, or you stay in DS and loose you 100% fury uptime, and cripple your potential dps as you simply dont have the amount of damage from 6 in SR and 6 in Spite. Also leaving you even more vulnerable when you exit DS. Also, this announced changes did NOTHING to improve our lockdown or chasing potential. Everything you can do now, you can do after the patch in that regard.

in Necromancer

Ragion.2831

This is completly wrong. With a build you pointed out you can have at max 2 points in spite. You loose at least 20% damage from Close to death. We have exactly 2 options to get protection, not counting runes. These are rather long durations, but also long cooldowns, so if any of those are stolen corrupted etc. you dont have that uptime. Also when going 3 in curses, and 6 in DM you cant go 6 into Soul reaping. You miss on 50% extra crit while in DS. If you use zerker gear to still do damage and shrouddancing you will die, your spectral skills wont be of much use, as the lf generation either overflows, or you stay in DS and loose you 100% fury uptime, and cripple your potential dps as you simply dont have the amount of damage from 6 in SR and 6 in Spite. Also leaving you even more vulnerable when you exit DS. Also, this announced changes did NOTHING to improve our lockdown or chasing potential. Everything you can do now, you can do after the patch in that regard.

Check your premises. I would post the build now if the editor’s server was up. The set up is 0/4/6/0/4 so its not what you think. If you are investing into spite, the changes will hardly help you. In fact you will run into the same survivability walls power necros normally do.

Sure if you want to talk pure damage this is not what you want, but if you want viable damage, it doesnt get much better than this. You cannot disregard runes and sigils, because Anets has to account for those when balancing. For instance with sigils and blood is power, Im sitting at over 2300 power (whch can be achieved within 2 seconds and then theres a permanent 74% crit chance thanks to furious demise, do you really need close to death? or the spite trait? Sure going for close to death would be a ridiculous improvement to the damage capacity, but what is the point of that if locked and pwned

Chasing potential? Necros dont chase, they keep in place. Iv been able to accumulate EIGHT different ways in the same build to keep the target next to me, and all of them can be done before the target has a chance to pop stability.

(edited by Ragion.2831)

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

Chasing potential? Necros dont chase, they keep in place. Iv been able to accumulate EIGHT different ways in the same build to keep the target next to me, and all of them can be done before the target has a chance to pop stability.

Keeping in place lol, something like that is only possible against guardians or other necromancer (and if we exclude bad players). And against meditation guardians in WvW this is also really hard.

Lets face it most profession can escape a necromancer with ease if they have the right skills equipped and know what they are doing.

in Necromancer

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Interesting read for sure, but the build you suggest is nothing more than a gimmick at best. Permanent protection is not sustain when you’re so bad at restoring the basic health itself not nullifying damage.

Look at rangers, they have a great deal of protection, not sure if it can be permanent or not, and can be built to have a ton of passive healing from troll unugent, wild sgnet, and regen, all whole having 3 evades on weapon skills plus the two base dodges with stamina that regenerates 25 percent faster (plus vigor too). And they deal respectable amounts of condition damage with gear like celestial settlers or apothecary, through burning, bleeding, and poison mainly.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Necromancer

Ragion.2831

Keeping in place lol, something like that is only possible against guardians or other necromancer (and if we exclude bad players). And against meditation guardians in WvW this is also really hard.

Lets face it most profession can escape a necromancer with ease if they have the right skills equipped and know what they are doing.

False.

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

False.

No even with a chillmancer build most professions can disengage if they know what they are doing.

in Necromancer

Ragion.2831

False.

No even with a chillmancer build most professions can disengage if they know what they are doing.

Golem’s charge 1200 range, spectral grasp, 1200 range, Doom, 1200 range, if either of those hit disengaging is not possible, except with thieves’ hard to catch even then, you can just keep chaining. Then there is dark path which is also 1200. Because of all these that can be used in the same build, thieves especially can be very unlucky when fighting a necro

(edited by Ragion.2831)

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

False.

Golem’s charge 1200 range, spectral grasp, 1200 range, Doom, 1200 range, if either of those hit disengaging is not possible, except with thieves’ hard to catch even then, you can just keep chaining. Then there is dark path which is also 1200. Because of all these that can be used in the same build, thieves especially can be very unlucky when fighting a necro

I wouldnt consider a thief that cannot run away from a necromancer unlucky but bad…

And i am also sure it really works most of the time but against someone that knows what he is doing and has the right skills equipped, it will not work that well.

Eles, mesmer, thieves, ranger, meditaition guardians with mobs and speedy warrior can close a 1200 distance really fast with the right skills and engies, mesmer, thieves can also stealth. If all this is used properly they are all out of the range of the necromancer skills and then good luck ever catching up.

in Necromancer

Posted by: War Mourner.5168

War Mourner.5168

I haven’t played for god knows how long, and while I would have liked to see a lot of other changes (like reducing spinal shiver’s cast time, because long cast tims are awful), these changes are over all very good FOR ME, or atleast, my power build in WvW, which I find quite amusing.

For example, the locust swarm change means I’ll have 24.75s of swiftness, on a 24s CD, which means I can swap out spec walk for spec armor, which was buffed along side last gasp. Axe is now slightly less awful, and glorious dagger autoattack hit two targets.
Letting us ‘officially’ shroudstomp is good for two reasons, firstly, it silences the babbies calling foul about it, and second, it lets us shroud stomp/res when we’re already in DS, which gives us a little more flexibility.

So yeah, plenty still needs to change, but I honestly can’t complain about what did change, for me personally, atleast.

(edited by War Mourner.5168)