I don't get Wail of Doom

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Posted by: Squeesidhe.4761

Squeesidhe.4761

Am I missing something with the Horn skill Wail of Doom? It seems chintzy to me.

It’s a 2 second stun. It hits in a cone, so it can hit multiple targets. And that’s it. This doesn’t seem that impressive for one of the only two Horn skill slots.

Am I missing something? Like does this rock in PVP or something?

My experience in PVE at least is that the stun usually times out by the time the attack animation processes. And there’s no other effect – no condition, no direct damage.

I guess I could see using this to try to catch fleeing players in PVP, under rare circumstances… but this seems really conditional and not really worth using up a precious weapon skill slot.

And the duration of the stun is so short that I’m having trouble seeing how this would be useful against mobs.

Is there a killer combo with another weapon that I’ve missed?

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dibrom.6408

Dibrom.6408

Lol, necros don’t have any stuns. (The only class without 1)

Wail of Doom is a daze. You won’t be “catching fleeing players” with a daze anytime soon.

Arenanet: The paragon of truth.

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Posted by: Squeesidhe.4761

Squeesidhe.4761

A daze… So that makes me even more puzzled as to how this is useful… it may just be me, but the effect is literally gone before I can trigger my next attack.

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Posted by: Morvian.3270

Morvian.3270

I don’t bother with Warhorn. The only OH weapon I use is Dagger. I’m a power necro and it’s still better than the focus or the warhorn.

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Posted by: Whargoul.9613

Whargoul.9613

It’s used as an interrupt – do you not understand the basic game mechanics?

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Posted by: Hufflepuffer.4201

Hufflepuffer.4201

2s is a long time in PvP, and if you get VIII in Curses + runes of the mesmer, you can make it a 4s daze

Theoretically that’s 4s of your opponents doing nothing while you and your teammates smack them around

Not quite as imba as Moa of course, but at least it can hit more than one person =D

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Posted by: Hufflepuffer.4201

Hufflepuffer.4201

I don’t bother with Warhorn. The only OH weapon I use is Dagger. I’m a power necro and it’s still better than the focus or the warhorn.

I use a dagger MH, too, and even if the #4 skill shot out pink bunnies at people, I would still use the warhorn for locust swarm alone

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

This makes me wonder, are MH #1 considered a skill for this? If so it is in some ways a stronger control than chill, as chill only affects the recharge, not the activation time. And #1 skill usually do not have a recharge. as such your buying yourself 2 seconds of no incoming damage. I really do have to reevaluate my ignorance of warhorn, especially if i am to revisit daggers.

I suspect the main reason it gets ignored is that there is no proper indication of how wide a cone we are talking about. If it has been AOE like the Axe Feast people may have been more likely to take a look at it.

(edited by digiowl.9620)

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Posted by: riotnrrrd.9582

riotnrrrd.9582

Am I missing something with the Horn skill Wail of Doom? It seems chintzy to me.

It’s a 2 second stun. It hits in a cone, so it can hit multiple targets. And that’s it. This doesn’t seem that impressive for one of the only two Horn skill slots.

Am I missing something? Like does this rock in PVP or something?

My experience in PVE at least is that the stun usually times out by the time the attack animation processes. And there’s no other effect – no condition, no direct damage.

I guess I could see using this to try to catch fleeing players in PVP, under rare circumstances… but this seems really conditional and not really worth using up a precious weapon skill slot.

And the duration of the stun is so short that I’m having trouble seeing how this would be useful against mobs.

Is there a killer combo with another weapon that I’ve missed?

i think skills bugged cuz everytime i use it nothing happens no one so much as even pauses for blink of an eye

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Dibrom.6408

This makes me wonder, are MH #1 considered a skill for this? If so it is in some ways a stronger control than chill, as chill only affects the recharge, not the activation time. And #1 skill usually do not have a recharge. as such your buying yourself 2 seconds of no incoming damage. I really do have to reevaluate my ignorance of warhorn, especially if i am to revisit daggers.

I don’t get the question. What do MH skills have to do with the warhorn or chills?

i think skills bugged cuz everytime i use it nothing happens no one so much as even pauses for blink of an eye

It’s a DAZE, no one is going to pause because they are dazed. There is a slight effect around there head (circles)

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Well daze says it makes the target unable to use skills, while chill makes skill recharges take longer. But i have never noticed any slowdown in auto-attacks while chilled, meaning that chill do not really affect mainhand auto-attack skills. Daze on the other hand will, as it locks the skills rather than make them take longer to recharge. Meaning that daze will be way more effective on any profession that rely on auto-attack for their steady DPS.

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Dibrom.6408

Well daze says it makes the target unable to use skills, while chill makes skill recharges take longer. But i have never noticed any slowdown in auto-attacks while chilled, meaning that chill do not really affect mainhand auto-attack skills. Daze on the other hand will, as it locks the skills rather than make them take longer to recharge. Meaning that daze will be way more effective on any profession that rely on auto-attack for their steady DPS.

If you want chain dazes roll a mesmer- they can easily do 4+ in a row (It’s their thing, like necros and fea… like thieves and stealth). You’re not going to get much out of the one daze on warhorn.

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Posted by: Whargoul.9613

Whargoul.9613

I mean kitten man, half the people here don’t even know what their own dang skills do. Now I completely understand why so many complain about the Necro.

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

Whargoul.9613 – you cant most of the time, it has a 1/2 second cast time
To the thread, its a pretty strong skill since the animation is pretty much half the actually effect size, its nice for stopping enemies that piled on a friend or just plain “stunning” creeps (daze = stun for most npcs since their ai is about just 2.25x as smart as necro minion ai and 0.75x as smart as hunter pet ai).

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ice Furl.4982

Ice Furl.4982

its actually not so bad, the only problem I have with that spell is the long cast time that makes it alot harder to use as an interrupt

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Posted by: Detahmaio.2014

Detahmaio.2014

Wail of doom also stops Npcs from moving for some reason. They just don’t move like they are stunned.

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Posted by: Haette.2701

Haette.2701

But i have never noticed any slowdown in auto-attacks while chilled, meaning that chill do not really affect mainhand auto-attack skills.

It’s because chill doesn’t slow attack speed, only recharge speed, and autoattacks have no recharge.

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Posted by: draculthemad.6273

draculthemad.6273

Hmm. Would it not also be affected by spite?

Also, its worth noting that its a 600 range cone. That is going to be quite wide at full range, so its going to potentially hit a LOT of targets.

(edited by draculthemad.6273)

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Posted by: Parakeet.6083

Parakeet.6083

Wail is very strong, dazed condition prevents enemy’s from using skills for its duration. Not so great in pve… but in pvp you get to wail on the enemy for 2-3 seconds with impunity.

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Posted by: KTKTKT.1853

KTKTKT.1853

because the warhorn is uselesss and those that tell you other wise are the ones that use it they make me lol when i see them in spvp

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lumines.3916

Lumines.3916

If you want chain dazes roll a mesmer- they can easily do 4+ in a row (It’s their thing, like necros and fea… like thieves and stealth). You’re not going to get much out of the one daze on warhorn.

Doesn’t matter how frequent one can daze if one can’t use it in opportune times. Yes, Mesmers can interrupt more frequently than Necros, but having the daze, Reaper’s Mark, and Fear in Death Shroud means you can interrupt decently as well.

It won’t do jack kitten if you waste your CD to daze their auto-attack, but stopping their heal at 30% is all you need to win. How effective the daze is entirely depends on your timing, I think it’s great. And that’s just one of the few key thing you’d WANT to interrupt. Obviously, your mileage may vary.

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Posted by: Carrioncrow.6872

Carrioncrow.6872

the absolutely only thing the warhorn is good for in Spvp is possibly using it to daze people trying to stomp, heal or rez.

But even then there are better options due to the long windup to cast. Even the locust swarm is useless. (By useless i mean there are better options that give you more bang for your buck)

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dolleater.8304

Dolleater.8304

if you are looking for a good stun/knock down for PvP, i like to use the flesh golem knock down. In conjunction with fears and immobilize (MH Dagger) its pretty effective at locking others down.

Drawback being that its attached to an uncontrollable pet who is more easily distracted then a rabid squirrel…

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Posted by: Josher.9612

Josher.9612

Wail is very strong, dazed condition prevents enemy’s from using skills for its duration. Not so great in pve… but in pvp you get to wail on the enemy for 2-3 seconds with impunity.

What does wailing on them with impunity in Necro language=) Watching bleeds tick away while 2 or 3 other players wail on you while you watch? I’d LOOOOOOVE to ever get in a 1 vs 1. I don’t do tourneys so maybe thats where PvP doesn’t involve 5-8 people mucking up the screen with AOE rainbow barf effects that cover up whats actually going on=) Lets not mention WvW.

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Parakeet.6083

What does wailing on them with impunity in Necro language=) Watching bleeds tick away while 2 or 3 other players wail on you while you watch? I’d LOOOOOOVE to ever get in a 1 vs 1. I don’t do tourneys so maybe thats where PvP doesn’t involve 5-8 people mucking up the screen with AOE rainbow barf effects that cover up whats actually going on=) Lets not mention WvW.

Well if you are getting beat down in a 4 vs 1 thats a personal problem I can’t help you with your skill level unless you want to schedule some pvp classes with me.

Wail of doom comes out in a cone shape in front of you, if you need to learn how to use it practice dummies are available. You can daze multiple people with it. I hit 2 people with it on a normal basis and have hit up to 4 with fair regularity.

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rizach.4852

Rizach.4852

Warhorn is part of my strongest build.

The ability to lock out someone for 2 seconds is massive.

Death shroud fear → golem knock down → wail of doom

That is a bunch of time the opponent can’t do anything.

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Posted by: Jaydee.8143

Jaydee.8143

Warhorn is part of my strongest build.

The ability to lock out someone for 2 seconds is massive.

Death shroud fear -> golem knock down -> wail of doom

That is a bunch of time the opponent can’t do anything.

Its also almost the same amount of time setting the chain up lol. Use DS fear, theres a second, the golem knockdown nother half a second, and wail of doom(lol that cast time)

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Parakeet.6083

@jaydee, ds fear does not take a second to use. Knockdown will interrupt enemy skill and does damage and knocks them down for some times. Wail of doom will also interrupt the currently casting enemy skill and stop him from using any others for 2 seconds.

You can intentionally wait for a second after the enemy comes out of one of them to use the next so they have just enough time to start doing something before they get interrupted.

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Posted by: Night Priestess.8123

Night Priestess.8123

I use it to interrupt. Too bad it doesn’t work on most bosses, they are immune

For the Toast!

I don't get Wail of Doom

in Necromancer

Parakeet.6083

I use it to interrupt. Too bad it doesn’t work on most bosses, they are immune

Who cares about pve though, its made for you to win against. Pvp is where this skill really shines.