I really want to use necro in pvp

in Necromancer

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

I want to get into pvp since its the reason I bought the game 2 years ago yet I rarely do it. I use mostly ele engi and condi ranger for pvp the rare times I do but ive decided I like pain and want to be a necro. Whats a good set up? I prefer condis but ill play anything good

in Necromancer

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fRAQNArYWjc0UebfNG3wfbighSyW4Di+ACgzlykIKA-TJxHwAA3fwYZAxPBAAnCAA

This is basically noscocs build but I use generosity sigils instead of geomancy and frailty. Seems to work well for me, decent balance of defense and offense for a condi necro build.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in Necromancer

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

Definetly take frality or geomancy over generosity.

I got used to the build with 2x geomancy like prototype, but after zombifys advice i switched to double frality – it is very much worth it.

Nos takes the 1x frality 1x geomancy cz he has basically the best suport fro his teammates and they make good spikes. I would not recommend anyone but him to drop the constant extra vuln. condition for when in scpeter set where you should spend most of your time.

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in Necromancer

Azure.8670

nice thanks guys

in Necromancer

Azure.8670

hey so I gave this a whirl and I love it, def doing better than I do on other classes except for engi. Are there any vids out there?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Holl.3109

Holl.3109

Lol I feel so bad self promoting myself, but whatever >.>

My condition build, which is similair to the one nexed posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKpvyfy-6u8

swap sigils and utility skills around to your liking

Gameplay with the build:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0j9o19OWbY

:D

All 80’s – PvP/WvW
My YouTube channel
Reapers gonna reap ¯\(°_°)/¯

in Necromancer

Posted by: Hausaurier.9438

Hausaurier.9438

Best Build, Terror-Meta is fine but i still miss good old dhuum-fire

Rabid over Carrion btw!
We dont need, power! More Crit-Chance means more bleeding-stacks. Further our health-pool ist big enough – so more Toughness is welcome

in Necromancer

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fRAQNArYWjc0UebfNG3wfbighSyW4Di+ACgzlykIKA-TJxHwAA3fwYZAxPBAAnCAA

This is basically noscocs build but I use generosity sigils instead of geomancy and frailty. Seems to work well for me, decent balance of defense and offense for a condi necro build.

Replacing geomancy, especially on both weapons is a really bad move. You have access to condi transfers on both sets and a heal that removes every condi, there should be no problems. Except if the enemy team is 5/5 condi necs and engis.

in Necromancer

Posted by: flow.6043

flow.6043

Rabid over Carrion btw!
We dont need, power! More Crit-Chance means more bleeding-stacks. Further our health-pool ist big enough – so more Toughness is welcome

Actually, the power from carrion will make you do more damage than extra crit procs from rabid. And because of our poor healing and the way life force scales and generates: vitality > toughness.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Rabid over Carrion btw!

Actually, the power from carrion will make you do more damage than extra crit procs from rabid. And because of our poor healing and the way life force scales and generates: vitality > toughness.

Sadly the vitality > toughness is not as clear as you think it is.

However i would agree that carrion currently offers a condition necro more since they dont really have enough on crit effects (only curses 1 and sigil procs) that are worth using over the power from carrion.

So this may be a better unequality:
(vitality+power) > (toughness+precision)

But give necros a good on crit trait like the old Dhuumfire or the old Withering Precision this would change rather fast…

in Necromancer

Posted by: DarkMezmer.5198

DarkMezmer.5198

Recently I’ve been using carrion in pvp with a 6/x/x/0/6 power build with only changes being instead of ctd I use dhuumfire and in place of deathly perception it’s fitg. With balth runes you be surprised how useful that burn is in sending ppl to downstate and finishing them off.

in Necromancer

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

Standard terrormancer is ideal. Fairly straightforward with the passive fear procs. Course nightmare runes are standard and energy sigil both wep sets along with a geomancy and a frailty. Frailty is good on the scepter for the auto attack applying another condi during the rotation. (As soon a another sigil, say sigil of tormenting will instantly replace frailty in pvp). Geomancy is great for leading to a burst with say reapers mark. The instant bleeds stacks are wildly good. This is also a huge way to force thieves to peel from you and instantly puts them on defense. I use carrion as I prefer the vitality as it scales your life force which is of course your main source of sustain and the power helps with your autos (especially thag scepter), life blasts, and plague.
Playing a power necro is also a ton of fun and can really bring the pain to anyone though you really need to know how to position well bc if you over extend, you’re dead.

Säïnt

(edited by SaintSnow.6593)

in Necromancer

flow.6043

Actually it is.
I’ve done the math so many times for so many different build variations. The best case scenario for a rabid pvp amulet in a direct comparison is that you need to use your main heal at least three times before rabid can overtake carrion in effective hp. And this is only if:
1. you have no extra toughness from runes or traits.
2. exclusively direct damage was taken.
3. Death Shroud was not used at all.

So basically you need to fight at least 1min under completely unrealistic conditions before you can even begin to compare rabid with carrion. Once you include condition damage, life force, points in Soul Reaping or Death Magic, rabid will fall a lot further behind.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Personally, I like having Energy on both sets and the Leeching on staff with Geomancy on Scepter.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Necromancer

Azure.8670

I just went one on one with a ranger that I couldnt hurt at all… swordx something and just owned me. im still learning though. really enjoying necro

in Necromancer

Azure.8670

Lol I feel so bad self promoting myself, but whatever >.>

My condition build, which is similair to the one nexed posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKpvyfy-6u8

swap sigils and utility skills around to your liking

Gameplay with the build:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0j9o19OWbY

:D

btw man youre really good I cant wait to I Get to this level… I will

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

Actually it is.
I’ve done the math so many times for so many different build variations. The best case scenario for a rabid pvp amulet in a direct comparison is that you need to use your main heal at least three times before rabid can overtake carrion in effective hp. And this is only if:
1. you have no extra toughness from runes or traits.
2. exclusively direct damage was taken.
3. Death Shroud was not used at all.

So basically you need to fight at least 1min under completely unrealistic conditions before you can even begin to compare rabid with carrion. Once you include condition damage, life force, points in Soul Reaping or Death Magic, rabid will fall a lot further behind.

Mhh if we use the direct damage formula (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Damage) and compare the damage with armor and without armor we get the rougly damage coefficent of 0.7362(=1814/2464). That means with the armor of the rabid amulet we lose for every 1 direct damage point only 0.7362 hitpoints. This means now that against direct damage we have 18472/0.7362=25091 effective hitpoints. While with carrion we have 24972 real hitpoints but “no armor” and with that the same EHP against direct damage.

So i am not sure what calculations you did that got you different values then me, but hey maybe my math is wrong and you could be so nice and show me my mistake?

(edited by Muchacho.2390)

in Necromancer

flow.6043

Sorry, you’re right. I was remembering a calculation I made with gear.

But still, the only argument for toughness is healing effectivness against direct damage.
Necros have bad healing, in pvp you will always take condition damage and life force regen scales better with vitality.

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

Sorry, you’re right. I was remembering a calculation I made with gear.

But still, the only argument for toughness is healing effectivness against direct damage.
Necros have bad healing, in pvp you will always take condition damage and life force regen scales better with vitality.

Yes and no, the whole thing is far more complex, you have also to factor in healing from allies, condition removel etc. There is a reason why the vitality vs. toughness debate was and is rather ugly. But in the end i came to the (personal) conclusion that vitality vs. toughness (atleast for necromancer) comes down to your build, team comp and preference.

So if you want to run vitality it is fine but toughness is also fine. That said going carrion over rabid is probably still the better choice since the power is alot better then the precision due the lack of good on crit traits for the condition builds (Here i hope we can agree on^^).

(edited by Muchacho.2390)

in Necromancer

flow.6043

Yes and no, the whole thing is far more complex, you have also to factor in healing from allies, condition removel etc.

Like I said, a situation where you only take direct dmg and the carrion build has no extra toughness at all is the best case scenario for rabid. As soon as you add any of those more “complex” factors carrion takes the lead.
Cleansing doesn’t factor into this btw, either you take condi dmg or you don’t.
And yes, ally healing shifts the whole thing back in favour of rabid, but in actual fights this is more like the exception to the rule than a reliable source of harnessing the healing effectivness of rabid.

But I agree, the rest of the build is more likely to determine your gear prefix. And for those who play WvW: mixing stats is best.

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

But I agree, the rest of the build is more likely to determine your gear prefix. And for those who play WvW: mixing stats is best.

This is correct. Necromancer gains the most EHP by stacking vitality and toughness equally.

in Necromancer

flow.6043

I didn’t say equally :P
More like: as much vitality as possible and more toughness than zero.
The 50/50 golden ratio does apply to other classes, but not the necro.