Infusing Terror vs Death Shroud

in Necromancer

Posted by: flow.6043

flow.6043

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infusing_Terror

As it stands, the Reaper already seems to be more popular than the regular necro.
There are several reasons for that, but one of them is this:
Reaper’s Shroud will get stability.
Not just some pitiful single stack like on Foot in the Grave. No, pulsing stability that can add up to 3 stacks at a time and last for up to 11 seconds without extra boon duration!

The first thought that comes to most people’s mind is:
Yes, finally, the regular necro would’ve needed this ages ago, but it makes all the more sense on the Reaper, after all the Reaper is in melee range more often which might require a thicker skin.

However, the by far biggest deal about this is a safe stomp!
Let me say this again for extra emphasis: SAAAAFE STOOOOMMMP!!!!
This is huge.
I’m in no way exaggerating when I say, this will be the single greatest contribution to improving the necro’s position in PvP, because so far the lack of reliable safe stomps has been one of our biggest shortcomings.

Of course, there are some ways for a regular necro to do it, like Well of Darkness, SpecWalk+Wurm or Plague, but those are either too unreliable or their opportunity cost is way to high. And they are a joke when you compare them to something like Distortion, Elixir S or Mist Form.

Anyway, the Reaper will be doing fine in that regard, it seems.
But what about Death Shroud?
Don’t you think it deserves some love as well?
Who in their right mind would even want DS if it’s so much inferior to RS?
I’m not asking to give Death Shroud the same crazy 50%+ uptime of stability as the Reaper. But maybe 3 stacks for 4 seconds on Tainted Shackles? Just enough to get an occasional safe stomp without having to burn through an elite skill with a 3 min cd.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ravezaar.4951

Ravezaar.4951

For me yes the Safe Stomp but also a much better chance vs what I consider the Hard Counter classes for necro: Warrior and Eles. They have alot of ways to abuse our lack of Stab and this a way to get back in the fight so to speak. And since its pulsating for those 8-11sec we have what I like to call our window of opportunity… pull of Executioner Scythe and “Spin to Win” pop-out of RS and maybe even with remaining Stab pop our CttB followed by a Gravedigger. The Infuseing terror is for me what seperates my Power build on a Reaper from that of current Necro.

Underjordens Furste 80 Necro Piken-server
Servant of Dhuum

in Necromancer

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

Death Shroud deserves something like Infusing Terror, and it can greatly benefit from Blighter’s Boon. Those 2 things, along with RS2 leap, have pretty much made Death Shroud obsolete. It’s too bad really, they could’ve improved necros but they saved all these improvements for Reapers so now you have to take Reapers in order to compete with other classes’ upcoming elites.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

I’m often kittened off that after they took away my little +boon duration bonus, even during “safestomp” well timed knocback or fear from downed person can still hit you because FitG Stability is now plain 3s and it will dissapear a short while before you finish stomping.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

(edited by Rym.1469)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sigmoid.7082

Sigmoid.7082

Foot in the grave needs to be longer and more stacks but im not bothered by this difference because even with its leap RS has no ranged pressure at all unlike death shroud. Rs is pure meleeis it makes sense that it would need greater access to stability. Ds has a lot of range so its a trade of in a sense.

in Necromancer

Posted by: deda.8302

deda.8302

What does ranege have to do with stability pls explain?
Ranager can knock youback form range mesmer can interupt from range theif can interupt from range,even necro can fear from range , engi can 2,and you can them .
So why would a range class need less stability than one going melee?

in Necromancer

Sigmoid.7082

What does ranege have to do with stability pls explain?
Ranager can knock youback form range mesmer can interupt from range theif can interupt from range,even necro can fear from range , engi can 2,and you can them .
So why would a range class need less stability than one going melee?

Because a larger majority of control abilities are less than 600 range or melee range. Also because of the few that are ranged, you still need stability to be able to get into melee combat so you can do damage instead of being CC’d at range for a while. You can go through the list of control effects! to see what i mean.

Thats my opinion and reasoning behind why RS and reaper has more stability access than necro. Also part of the “unstoppable movie monster” theme they have going.

(edited by Sigmoid.7082)

in Necromancer

Posted by: deda.8302

deda.8302

That is the case only for wr and ele , and hard stun effects which make no difference to me since if you are interuppted by anything for a second you are simply interuppted end of story.
Yes you are right all in all there are more melee CC than range but i would say it 60% :40% in for meele.

in Necromancer

Sigmoid.7082

That is the case only for wr and ele , and hard stun effects which make no difference to me since if you are interuppted by anything for a second you are simply interuppted end of story.
Yes you are right all in all there are more melee CC than range but i would say it 60% :40% in for meele.

I also editied my post saying if you are pure melee and have no ranged pressure, because of the few ranged interrupts there are you wont get in close to do any damage without being controlled and kitted more efficiently so again makes sense as a more melee orientated spec that it has far greater access to stability.

Foot in the grave still needs a buff though because its weak and still feels like its designed with the old stability/boon duration from traits system in mind. It needs more stacks and a longer duration. It should have the same duration as Furious demise fury at 5 seconds.

(edited by Sigmoid.7082)

in Necromancer

flow.6043

While I agree that Foot in the Grave could use a buff to its stability duration and/or stacks, I feel the primary purpose of the trait has shifted to being a stun break.
Also, the shortcomings of Death Shroud should not be fixed by a trait as this would only lead to FitG become mandatory and a limitation to build diversity. Plus, Reapers could take the trait as well so that wouldn’t narrow the gap between RS and DS at all.

Foot in the grave needs to be longer and more stacks but im not bothered by this difference because even with its leap RS has no ranged pressure at all unlike death shroud. Rs is pure meleeis it makes sense that it would need greater access to stability. Ds has a lot of range so its a trade of in a sense.

I think you’re forgetting that a Reaper can use any ranged weapon outside of RS. And regular necros fight in melee range all the time, not just by choice of other more mobile classes or for the sake of defending a capture point, but also because that’s where necros are more effective in combat as well.

Anyway, I get that it’s nice to have this huge stability uptime on Reaper, but it seems rather unfair that Death Shroud gets non at all.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Shiki.7148

Shiki.7148

Question: Can you actually stomp in shroud now without using that “press stomp a few ms after pressing shroud” “exploit” ? Because i not, you won’t be able to safe stomp with infusing terror because after leaving shroud the stab doesn’t cover you for the full channel.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Question: Can you actually stomp in shroud now without using that “press stomp a few ms after pressing shroud” “exploit” ? Because i not, you won’t be able to safe stomp with infusing terror because after leaving shroud the stab doesn’t cover you for the full channel.

Yes you can stomp in shroud just fine apart from the fact that entering/leaving interrupts all actions…

Meaning if you are low on LF dpsing down your shroud will interrupt the stomp even if you have stability.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Shiki.7148

Shiki.7148

Yes you can stomp in shroud just fine apart from the fact that entering/leaving interrupts all actions…

Meaning if you are low on LF dpsing down your shroud will interrupt the stomp even if you have stability.

Well then. I still think Executioners Scythe should insta finish downed players (and get an increased CD if doing so) though.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Well then. I still think Executioners Scythe should insta finish downed players (and get an increased CD if doing so) though.

I dont want a casttime increase on ES though, which will happen if ES becomes a finisher, knowing Anet.

Also ES is also interrupted when dpsed out of shroud.

in Necromancer

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

I think you’re forgetting that a Reaper can use any ranged weapon outside of RS. And regular necros fight in melee range all the time, not just by choice of other more mobile classes or for the sake of defending a capture point, but also because that’s where necros are more effective in combat as well.

Anyway, I get that it’s nice to have this huge stability uptime on Reaper, but it seems rather unfair that Death Shroud gets non at all.

Yeah I was gonna mention Death Shroud is most effective up close. Life Blast hits the hardest at 600 range, and hit like wet noodles at 1200 range. Life Transfer and Tainted Shackles are all 600 radius. Within 600 range necros are very susceptible to cc’s. Not to mention Dark Path pulls you to the target. The design ideas behind necro death shroud is that the devs want necros to be up close.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

I don’t know that I mind Death Shroud not having stability as much as I really mind not having any reasonable stability access on the entire base profession.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

flow.6043

Yeah I was gonna mention Death Shroud is most effective up close. Life Blast hits the hardest at 600 range, and hit like wet noodles at 1200 range. Life Transfer and Tainted Shackles are all 600 radius. Within 600 range necros are very susceptible to cc’s. Not to mention Dark Path pulls you to the target. The design ideas behind necro death shroud is that the devs want necros to be up close.

And don’t forget traits like Weakening Shroud or Mark of Evasion.

I don’t know that I mind Death Shroud not having stability as much as I really mind not having any reasonable stability access on the entire base profession.

Just the base profession? Why?

I’ve never complained about the necro’s lack of stability. But when they dump so much stability on Reaper’s Shroud that a guardian could get jealous, I feel it should be pointed out that this will create an imbalance within the class.
So unless Death Shroud gets some stability as well once the expansion is released, we might as well rename it to “PvE leveling Shroud”.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

I consider Death Shroud part of the base profession. I’m just saying that I don’t necessarily need it to be a part of DS, so much as I need it to be somewhere highly accessible on the base profession, whether or not that is Death Shroud.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

flow.6043

Unless you want to add even more stability to the Reaper, Death Shroud is the only option to make changes to the base profession alone.
And unless they are going to add new DS skills, adding stability to Tainted Shackles would probably be the most reasonable solution.