Is Starting a Necro a bad idea?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Avipt.9632

Avipt.9632

So ive never played Necro before. But when i saw 2h sword and Reaper i fell in love instantly, just the way the spells looked and animations and so on. However ive read some pretty bad stuff about necro but since i have never played necro before i dont understand all of it.
Also I mainly play PvE.
But the idea was to start leveling a necro before expansion

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vizardlorde.8243

Vizardlorde.8243

If you really like it and you have a good guild it wont be a problem at all. If you play solo and pug dungeons it will be tough starting out because there is a lot of prejudice against necros for not bringing much support to the party, until recently lacking cleave, and supposedly low dps .

in Necromancer

Posted by: MeGaZlo.9516

MeGaZlo.9516

Well, because this game has pretty good balance, every profession can compete with any others somehow. However, in my humble opinion, necromancer at the moment loses to any other profession in all aspects. I am sure that the some representatives of other professions could tell you something like this about theirs on other prof-topics.
But in support of my objectivity I can say that a necromancer is not my favorite class or main. Moreover, I have the opportunity to compare it with any other build of any other class in every aspect of the game.

Therefore, I recommend refrain before the launch of addon, in order to not be disappointed ahead of time.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

I’d say level one and see how you like it.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vydahr.4285

Vydahr.4285

I’d say level one and see how you like it.

The only way to know for sure whether you want to play a necro or not. Actually play one a bit

Drahvienn
Sylvari Power Reaper

in Necromancer

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

As for Pve, necromancer is thousands of DPS behind the next worst class, & has less than half the max DPS of top classes. This is so egregiously wrong that I’m confident it will be fixed.

Which means that our stuff is less likely to get Dhuumfire’d in the next emergency nerf patch. So, we could end up out of ths patch looking ok.

The patch was generous to Necromancers who do have more abilities than they did before.

Some fixes/reworks to our weapons (especially the weak looking greatsword) and we could actually be in decent shape.

Of course, in pvp the class has bad mobility so it wolnt ever be good. But OP asked about pvE.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Burjis.3087

Burjis.3087

However ive read some pretty bad stuff about necro

You read wrong!
Starting a necro is the best kitten decision you can make!

Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP] (www.espguild.com)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Yinello.7068

Yinello.7068

If you’re looking to be the best in dungeons and such, Necro probably won’t be your cup of tea. If you however just want to have a lot of fun, Necro is amazing.

Ginni Gruesome, Necromancer of the College of Synergetics

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zulth.4708

Zulth.4708

I thought I would put my 2 cents in here.. I am a new player my Necromancer is my main and he is now only in his 20’s. I would say start one and see how you like the play style. My advice would pick something you like playing and you really can not go wrong. So far every Necromancer I have talked to or played the game with has been great. The Forum Necro community are stellar and helpful. Give it a try , and see if it is a fit for you. Welcome to the Necromancer forums. Have fun !

in Necromancer

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

Go for it. The only thing necro isnt really great at is dungeons and I’m confident reaper is going to change that. We are good at pvp and amazing in wvw. Easy class to roam with in pve maps like silverwaste as well. I love necro. I’m a mesmer/ele main since launch but have basically replaced my ele with necro

in Necromancer

Posted by: vergil.6195

vergil.6195

Yes.
Dont need to say why, just look at the threads around the forum saying how bad he is.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lynnie.7213

Lynnie.7213

If you like the necro theme, go for it. You’ll love.
If you just want the best/optimal thing, go another class.

D O N E E
Necromancer – Ranger WvW/Spvp/Pve/Build/Guide videos:
http://www.youtube.com/donee

in Necromancer

Posted by: Michal.4513

Michal.4513

Game have great balance to things like what to pick. In pugs dosnt matter what proff you run, as long as you know what are you doing. With my guild we done Dungs as:
-Mesmer
-Guardian
-thief
-Ranger
-Necro

We done runs faster than with any pug – Guard/warr/2x ele/thief
Meta should be done only by Guilds, or with friends that can use 100% of this, other way its not better/faster than others comps.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

If you’re only interested in Reaper it might be a bad idea but try it for yourself. You didn’t give any hints of what you like doing in PvE.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bankai.3749

Bankai.3749

Necros, from what I understand, are frowned upon in PvE with the lack of reflects and self sustains/invulns that are demanded in that area of the game. Necros imo need a lot of work, they either suck or they are overpowered and have not found a median. This is a result of the game having unbalanced issues, because devs are trying to please the PvP/WvW community while simultaneously trying to please PvE community. This, again imo, is oil and water these two categories do not mix Anet is just going to have to pick who they want to appease, either the WvW/PvP community or the PvE community and from what I been told Anet has been leaning towards the PvE side since its an easier side to please. PvE doesn’t really need balancing, I think its just each class offering something to the table, unlike pvp/wvw commun….Then again those are my two cents of necros “As a whole.” I think you should just try it out and draw your own conclusion like I have and see if thats a class you want to play. Thats about as fair as it gets.

Legends Never [DIE]
Sanctum Of Rall: Ehmry Bay: Sea Of Sorrows

(edited by Bankai.3749)