Jon Peters plays necro (goes exactly how you imagine)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dibrom.6408

Dibrom.6408

Found video on the warrior forum.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW_REQlvxP4

I’m at work so I can’t analyze it but there’s a notable fight at 5:30. He’s using warhorn and staff. No idea what his mainhand is from that one fight.

For all the talk of using death shroud properly all I see is a meat shield used at low life.

Despite the tone of this post I’m glad to see someone actually playing necro.

Arenanet: The paragon of truth.

in Necromancer

Posted by: xanitus.9784

xanitus.9784

just because you helped make the game doesnt make you good at every aspect of it

this video is proof.

-he did a lot of “bad” moves/rotations… that DS …. that SW …. that SA when SW was down already…. So many bad moves its sad

in Necromancer

xanitus.9784

okay fine maybe he was 15+ in SR and that popped his SA. But we arent told the trait setup he was running.

- I bet he got stuck with his horn out

in Necromancer

xanitus.9784

and ive ran in dub v dub with jon peters he was playing a lowbie warrior.

i saw him last night talking about mesmer abilities… in boarderlands

in Necromancer

Posted by: Teknomancer.8475

Teknomancer.8475

Looks like it might of been axe? Can’t really tell because it didn’t seem like he ever used his mainhand abilities. I guess nice use of the warhorn stun then the ethereal wall? I dunno what to say here.
Never expected him to be a stellar player….but wow.

Happy Wednesday
Madame Moorshade Teknomancer

in Necromancer

Dibrom.6408

- I bet he got stuck with his horn out

When his swap was a staff? I doubt it.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Aga.8641

Aga.8641

He so gud. Was playing dagger MH aswell…

He done very little, I’m sure if the team he was on had someone with a useful build they would have won for sure, Jon Peters lost the match by choosing the run the most useless of builds…..wait that’s not even true since necro axe is by far the most underwhelming pile of garbage in the game.

But thank you JP for showing us necro’s how undeniably powerful DS and necro’s are in the right hands.

in Necromancer

xanitus.9784

i dont understand so what if his swap was a staff u still switch in horn to gain run speed and @ 5:30 they were NOT fighting on a node so he was moving to a location or trolling for 1v1s

in Necromancer

Posted by: Aga.8641

Aga.8641

i dont understand so what if his swap was a staff u still switch in horn to gain run speed and @ 5:30 they were NOT fighting on a node so he was moving to a location or trolling for 1v1s

He was clearly taking the time to show the world how to dodge air.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kayotik.5790

Kayotik.5790

I sincerely doubt that this is a legitimate video of the Jon Peters you’re leading us to believe.

After a bit of research, the only thing I could find about a team “PZ” was this. A twitch account littered with “hue hue” and “get good” narrated by a 13 year old. In the title it mentions that this team “pz” is playing GW2, and at the bottom of said page it links a necromancer build.

The first suggested channel on this “pz” account is Alphaesports. And the best part? There is absolutely no mention of this video before a couple hours ago, by only 2 posts (one here, and one on gw2guru).

Let’s assume you’re a sucker and fell for the one single post created about a character somebody decided to name “Jon P Necro,” instead of the original poster trying to promote his small-time e-sports team. In this scenario, this video appears to be a fabrication. In the alternative scenario, I’m sure the mods will see this and not be happy about the impersonation of a developer.

in Necromancer

Dibrom.6408

@Kayotik
They ’shop the guild and arenanet logo onto the video as well?

in Necromancer

Kayotik.5790

Nothing about this video involves “’shopping.” A guild name does not indicate legitimacy, and if you’d be so kind as to point out the logo, I’d be inclined to take a second look.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Teknomancer.8475

Teknomancer.8475

Kayotik
I’m pretty sure Dibrom is right as , there are arena net logos next to the names in the video as far as I can tell. I have devs on my friends list in game, and anytime I see them in-game that is exactly how their names show up.

in Necromancer

Dibrom.6408

Guild names are unique as well. Why would you post that if you weren’t sure of game mechanics?

in Necromancer

Kayotik.5790

I apologize if I come off a bit harsh- You’ll have to understand that I find it difficult to believe the same person who contributed to the design of the game could fail, not only as miserably as the person in this video did, but have the nerve to suggest it’s a problem with “incorrect death shroud usage”.

Incomprehensible.

in Necromancer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

I think he was basing that claim on observed DS usage during the BWs. Question is if that style of play is still possible with the modifications they did between the last BW and release.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ezekeel.2837

Ezekeel.2837

This video is hilarious.

Jon Peters plays the necro like a complete newbie – like he never ever touched this class before. I really hope he was drunk or has some other excuse.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Konvoy.6245

Konvoy.6245

I was actually watching Team PZ’s stream last night and they were talking about playing with him and the builds he used, like play full signet warrior and play silly builds as necro. Really though who the hell cares? He can play however he likes, the important thing is that he plays/talks to high end teams about balancing issues which is the best move any “PvP” game can make imo. Team PZ is extremely good, they’re just not as well known.

in Necromancer

Dibrom.6408

I was actually watching Team PZ’s stream last night and they were talking about playing with him and the builds he used, like play full signet warrior and play silly builds as necro. Really though who the hell cares? He can play however he likes, the important thing is that he plays/talks to high end teams about balancing issues which is the best move any “PvP” game can make imo. Team PZ is extremely good, they’re just not as well known.

My issue is not his build, that he lost or that he played badly- it’s how he used his death shroud.

I hear: ‘Necros need to use death shroud properly. Necros get a third weapon set. Death Shroud is really strong.’

I see: “oh kittens I’m dying DEATH SHROUD – LIFE TRANSFER”

Yes quite the use of the almighty 3rd weapon set DS.

He can talk all he wants to PvP teams. Doesn’t really help if he dismisses things as a L2P issue when clearly he has no idea what that P involves.

in Necromancer

digiowl.9620

Well perhaps this will lead to some changes?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ackinbal.2617

Ackinbal.2617

So someone made a guild with the name Arenanet and that is the evidence of authenticity?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ahmon.1730

Ahmon.1730

This video is hilarious.

Jon Peters plays the necro like a complete newbie – like he never ever touched this class before. I really hope he was drunk or has some other excuse.

Extremely good players make average players look horrible. You’d need to see him play more than one match against more than elite opponents to see how good a player he is.

in Necromancer

Dibrom.6408

So someone made a guild with the name Arenanet and that is the evidence of authenticity?

Read the thread. Anet employees have a logo next to their name. Guild names are unique meaning you can’t make a guild called Arenanet.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drekor.5217

Drekor.5217

Man he got kitten on

The Shipwrecked Pirates
Tarnished Coast

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ezekeel.2837

Ezekeel.2837

“Extremely good players make average players look horrible. You’d need to see him play more than one match against more than elite opponents to see how good a player he is.”

I agree that one needs more than this short snippet to judge his skill in playing the necro. He probably was distracted by something otherwise his performance really would be too laughable.

On the other hand your argument of facing a skilled warrior really does not excuse how he played. Nothing any warrior can do – no matter how skilled – will prevent a necro from using DS #3 when jumped to get some breathing room. The way JP used DS was exactly the way I see newbie necros using DS who still do not grasp the concept.

in Necromancer

Posted by: TooLateToTalk.5670

TooLateToTalk.5670

Maybe he was just goofing off and trying out something different. Or maybe he likes the axe just like i do and didn’t care if he was being 100% effective. It’s a game and the man was just trying to enjoy it.

Hes breaking out of the necro hype he created. Long live the Necro who uses DS wisely….

in Necromancer

Posted by: Pendragon.8735

Pendragon.8735

I think this thread is missing an important point. Regardless if this was Jon Peters or not, and whether he was great or not.

A profession should not be balanced around only if the top 5% can excel at it, let alone the person that designed everything about it. I know Anet is all lusting after the eSport label, but the reality is that the vast majority of their playerbase is not on that level, and probably not that interested in it.

The profession needs to function well at all levels, not just the top. So even if a greatly skilled Necro is on even footing with a greatly skilled Mesmer or Warrior (doubt even that) it doesn’t matter if the 80% of middle ground Necro players have a class greatly lacking against the 80% middle ground of most other classes.

Right now the feeling is certainly that you have to work much harder with the Necro to achieve similar results as other professions more or less hammering obvious button combos.

(edited by Pendragon.8735)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kisses.1054

Kisses.1054

It didn’t rly look like he did anything except die.

Agree with pendragon above.

in Necromancer

Posted by: SgtSarcasm.1653

SgtSarcasm.1653

Man, this was just sad to watch.
What’s more sad is that a lot of people in this thread seem to think that this was a high skill level game.

I don’t really see any point in arguing about profession balance based on a video with a bunch of bad players playing vs each others (even if one of those bad players is JP from ANET).

Khaine [80 Guardian] – Night of Wallachia [80 Warrior]
Minister of Fear [80 Necromancer] @Far Shiverpeaks EU

in Necromancer

Posted by: Asmodean.5820

Asmodean.5820

My initial reaction was for a second, like some people’s here, to gloat. However, that has more to do with his comment of “they have to learn to use DS properly” which I considered arrogant.

However, after said first impulse I must say that it doesn’t matter how he specs (actually it is great if he tests as much as possible), how he performs (maybe if his character needs some vaseline in his rectum after several matches it might help us) or his preferences are.

What’s important, however, is, that he gets experience playing the class and coming to the right conclusions.

in Necromancer

Posted by: merch.1026

merch.1026

Would be nice to see this game from his point of view but I will try and work out his build,

hes is using Dagger/ War horn at 5:30
Im seeing furyin DS so that 15 points in curses
Spectral wall went up at one point
Something gives him haste at 5:36 either rune or sigil since necro dose not have access to this ability. looks to be a 3 second quickness so sigil of rage?
I think hes gaining might at 25% HP so thats 25 points in spite
I see a rock dog appear at 5:40 so atleast 4x ogre
well of darkness is used – no chill so no use of chilling darkness

in Necromancer

Posted by: exphryl.3857

exphryl.3857

Maybe he is playing the class to get an idea of what a regular person experiences? The trials and hardships of learning how to excel at PvP and what can be improved for people without making the top players absurdly great.

The ANet team each plays a lot of classes, there are posts littered around with them commenting on an Alt or another class. Hell, I hardly see regular gamers be excellent at more than one class. It’s noticeable when they are not on their “main”.

/shrugs.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sylosi.6503

Sylosi.6503

exphryl.38578
Maybe he is playing the class to get an idea of what a regular person experiences? The trials and hardships of learning how to excel at PvP and what can be improved for people without making the top players absurdly great.

The ANet team each plays a lot of classes, there are posts littered around with them commenting on an Alt or another class. Hell, I hardly see regular gamers be excellent at more than one class. It’s noticeable when they are not on their “main”.

I think the point is, there is a thread somewhere where he addresses complaints about necros shortcomings with an argument that is bascially “you need to learn how to use DS properly and need to learn play”.

This is a fine example of why the games industry has a bad rep, can you imagine aircraft desginers telling pilots they need to learn to fly in response to complaints about how their new aircraft handles.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Chronologist.9782

Chronologist.9782

He didn’t play too hot, what’s the big deal here, it’s not like developers/designers are suppose to be top players – maybe he is trying out new build or testing out some of the abilities to see if it’s up to par with other professions.

I’m actually glad he is checking out Necro tbh, who knows maybe sometime down the road if Necro becomes his main we’ll have least amount of bugs and most played like warriors XD

in Necromancer

Posted by: Daiva.2394

Daiva.2394

Basically, what JP said was that they were afraid of how strong necros would be able to become once they mastered DS. He went on to say that that did not mean they weren’t looking to fix some things, and that they definitely wanted to broaden the amount of viable builds.

None of this equates with him telling us to learn to play, and it certainly does not mean he has to be able to do it. All it means is that theoretically, they’ve seen possibilities that they don’t think we’re utilizing (to their full potential); that is not an insult. Yes, SC2, is a more complex game than GW2, but remember how long it took before the meta started to develop into anything near what it’s at now? And that’s in a game with an actual sick professional scene trying to figure it out. Remember also that old SC:BW players still predicted it would change even though they couldn’t do it themselves yet?

When I read the post, I thought to myself: “Huh, I kind of agree with that.” Especially since at the time, the forums seemed to be mostly upset that we could not match the dps of other classes, and he did not say that the necros were in a perfect place, balance wise — only that he/they did not think that the people crying foul the loudest had learned to properly manage DS and play to their strengths. I think he was right. I also think that now, which is quite a bit later, relative to the age of the game, they have an updated point of view. You’re being silly if you think they still hold exactly the same opinions on everything.

As to the play showed in the video: yes, it does seem surprisingly underwhelming, but that’s no big deal — I’ve never seen a developer be able to stand up against competitive gamers in their own game.

[CIR] — Blacktide
Dai Va — Necromancer
Dae Va — Elementalist

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

The arrogance and disrespect littering this thread only validates one thing: why most developers choose to play on an unmarked account instead of their official account. People treat beating them as some sort of achievement, or otherwise say that them doing poorly (or well) suggests something inherently ‘wrong’ with the game, as if they should have special gamer-magic-superpowers that enable them to crush their enemies, see them driven before them, and hear the lamentation of the women.

The fact is that they are people too, and not all people are good at all things. So what if he made a couple of mistakes? So what if he didn’t win? So what if maybe a different class would’ve benefited his specific team against his specific opponent more? Yeah the Necro has issues, and I’m sure Jon was well aware of them prior to this game, but he probably plays the game for the same reason most people do: to have fun. So seriously, lay off. Note that this doesn’t apply to everyone in this thread, but the general tone here is reprehensible. If you didn’t partake of the belligerence in some posts above, then take this with a grain of salt.

That said, I applaud Jon for having the gonads to face down the internet’s pincushion dev-targeting behavior in his developer-account-true-form. My take-away from this thread is “Glad to see ANet employees having fun, too.”

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in Necromancer

digiowl.9620

Thing is that until there has been a new statement from the dev team about the state of the necro profession, we will have to go on the last made one and the changes seen in the patches. And the latest changes seems to indicate a disconnect between the dev team vision and the profession community vision.

In my personal opinion, if they simply managed to make the DS changeover less intrusive in terms of UI, it would be easier to build its special skills into the routine. As it is, one give up quite a bit of situational awareness when entering DS. And that is before one consider that going DS for fear or a distance closer involves more button presses than using similar abilities with other classes.

in Necromancer

Posted by: CC Eva.6742

CC Eva.6742

Community Coordinator

Hi everybody.

We proceed to close the thread now as it does not offer any meaningful contribution due to the negative atmosphere of a great number of comments.

Thanks for your understanding.