Lacking Combo Finisers

Lacking Combo Finisers

in Necromancer

Posted by: Julius Seizure.4985

Julius Seizure.4985

Hey guys, I just started playing and rolled up a Necromancer, currently level 19.

My first post has to deal with combo finishers. It seems that we are really lacking in combo finishers in this class, as I have only found one on the Staff #1 attack and one on the Bone Minion sacrifice.

Are there more? So many other classes are able to have 2-3 combo finishers embedded in multiple weapon combinations alone, along with secondary effects on said attacks as well. I look as skills like Dagger main hand, Axe, and all of our off hands and see nothing that approaches what other classes are getting. Am I missing something here?

Thanks for the help!

Lacking Combo Finisers

in Necromancer

Posted by: Darkwalker.3968

Darkwalker.3968

The only ones we have on our weapons are on the staff, Putrid Mark – Blast and Necrotic Grasp – Projectile. The other finishers are on our minions or underwater. I don’t understand why Life Blast isn’t one, it’s a projectile so why not make it a finisher?

Lacking Combo Finisers

in Necromancer

Julius Seizure.4985

I was really hoping that I was just missing something here and that we had at least one or two other weapon combo finishers. Is the game set up so that because we can lay down a good amount of combo starting fields that we are kittened on finishers?

Edit— I just looked at Guardians and Engineers. Seems like those classes have plenty of combo fields and finishers. What’s up with the Necro and our lack of combo finishers on weapon attacks?

(edited by Julius Seizure.4985)

Lacking Combo Finisers

in Necromancer

Posted by: Levian.6742

Levian.6742

The one I use ALL the time is staff 4, which only works if an enemy hits it to activate it. I usually pair it with staff 3 for aoe poison damage, my blood well (dont know the effect) or my other wells for aoe blind.

But yah we’re kind of lacking. If you’re desperate for another, bone minions each act as a blast finisher

Lacking Combo Finisers

in Necromancer

Posted by: Arianna.7642

Arianna.7642

Take ten points into Blood and grab Mark of Evasion if you’re in dire need of a (Semi-reliable) Blast finisher for whatever reason.

Lacking Combo Finisers

in Necromancer

Posted by: Delryn.7235

Delryn.7235

I’ve come to realize how amazingly useful and powerful combos are. Playing a mesmer I have a variety of combo finishers such as projectile or leap, and so many times I use a glamour skill which reflects projectiles – against a melee type it would be useless, except that thanks to my combo finishers I’m able to add confusion to some attacks, able to give myself chaos armor granting me some nice random boons and the enemy random conditions. Playing with combo fields and finishers I’m able to do quite a lot more than what I would be able to do with just my regular simple plain attacks.

However since the necromancer has nearly none, to top it all off most of our fields give poison and projectile finish if I recall adds poison to attack, which doesn’t stack intensity – thus making it slightly not so great since we already have dozens of ways to poison.

If I were able to play around with combo fields and finishers with the necro in a variety of ways as I am with so many other classes, I’d be so better off.

Lacking Combo Finisers

in Necromancer

Julius Seizure.4985

Take ten points into Blood and grab Mark of Evasion if you’re in dire need of a (Semi-reliable) Blast finisher for whatever reason.

I actually just embarked on the route the other day when I saw this trait. I will let you guys know how it goes. One downside is that the mark is placed at the end point of a dodge, rather than the starting point, and would thus be better with ground targetable wells that comes with a feat from another line. You would place the mark slightly ahead of you then dodge forward into the fray, leaving a Mark of Blood right smack dab in the middle of your well.

I’ve come to realize how amazingly useful and powerful combos are. Playing a mesmer I have a variety of combo finishers such as projectile or leap, and so many times I use a glamour skill which reflects projectiles – against a melee type it would be useless, except that thanks to my combo finishers I’m able to add confusion to some attacks, able to give myself chaos armor granting me some nice random boons and the enemy random conditions. Playing with combo fields and finishers I’m able to do quite a lot more than what I would be able to do with just my regular simple plain attacks.

I think the most important thing is that it’s both powerful AND fun! It adds a layer of complexity and randomness to combat. The Necro flat out needs more combo finishers, especially compared to what other classes have received.

Lacking Combo Finisers

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ergo Proxy.6219

Ergo Proxy.6219

Different classes are different. Necromancer can shift conditions from allies on to enemies with a weapon attack, alot of classes can’t do that even with utilities.

Combos are ment to be in group play rather than just one guy making and using his own combo finishers anyway.

Lacking Combo Finisers

in Necromancer

Posted by: Delryn.7235

Delryn.7235

Different classes are different. Necromancer can shift conditions from allies on to enemies with a weapon attack, alot of classes can’t do that even with utilities.

Combos are ment to be in group play rather than just one guy making and using his own combo finishers anyway.

It’s silly to compare other classes ability to combo with the necro’s ability to transfer conditions – the two are completely unrelated.
Guardians are good at healing and giving boons, thieves are good at burst (way too good) damage and mobility, necro is good at giving conditions and transferring them. None of this has absolutely anything what so ever to do with combos.

We’re talking about how useful a class can be by taking the effects of a field by using their combo finishers. Giving them armors, adding effects to their attacks and buffing them up in a variety of ways – whether it be with themselves or paired with others.

The necro however is extremely limited in that aspect, he has many fields which can give his allies a variety of nice effects and buffs, however he himself can’t ever take any sort of positive effect from an ally’s field because he lacks combo finishers in such horrible ways.

Most classes have a variety of different finishers in multiple weapons, necros have the auto attack on the staff and one long cooldown hard to use mark on the staff – that is it. If you’re not using a staff you literally have no combo finishers, and if you are – your combo finishers either suck or have a huge cool down and you’re stuck to one slow moving projectile finisher.

Lacking Combo Finisers

in Necromancer

Posted by: chuiu.4985

chuiu.4985

Lacking Combo Finisers

in Necromancer

Posted by: Navi.1032

Navi.1032

There are a few places where I think Necro combo finishers would make sense, I don’t really get why we are lacking.

Blast

• Unholy Feast (Axe MH)

Leap

• Spectral Grasp (Utility)

Projectile

• Reaper’s Touch (Focus OH)

Whirl

• Deathly Swarm (Dagger OH)
  • Wail of Doom (Warhorn OH)

In terms of combo fields, if Grasping Dead and Enfeebling Blood lasted for a bit that would be nice.