Make Wells Viable

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: Windler.4815

Windler.4815

When you look at wells, mesmers got the better deal. They have a lot more utility on top of damage. Plus they have an elite well! Necros had wells first but we don’t have a dang elite well!

Buffing/reworking them would be a good way to solidify a power necros place in pve. There’s already a good amount of synergy in the blood trait lines (reduced cd, healing, protection). However, all those things are minimal. Healing isn’t high and protection boon is short. The least that can be done is increase damage (on par with traps and mesmer wells), increase the healing, and/or increase the protection boon duration.

Finally, GIVE US AN ELITE WELL!

Windler
Spectral Legion [SL]
Jade Quarry

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: Infusion.7149

Infusion.7149

Well of suffering does more damage than Gravity well or well of calamity so I don’t know your complaint?

Wells can’t be stronger than traps due to their being targeted AoE rather than PBAOE. That sort of goes out the window when stacks of traps are pre-placed though.

Desolation (EU) → Yak’s Bend (US)
In your backline: Elementalist+Mesmer+Necromancer

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: Windler.4815

Windler.4815

Yes, well of suffering does more damage but that’s it. You’re telling me a well that has a 40s cd is a valid argument to why all other necro wells don’t need reworked. Also, necro wells were stationary for majority of the time in this game. That can’t be used to justify why the rest of necro wells are shoty and poorly designed. Also, don’t use the PBAOE bs. Traps go on cd after placement and not trigger. They can be placed again after trigger within a few seconds. LOL. Thanks for the troll.

Windler
Spectral Legion [SL]
Jade Quarry

(edited by Windler.4815)

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: EremiteAngel.9765

EremiteAngel.9765

Speaking from a wvw perspective, i think both classes’ wells have their own niche uses and are good at what they do.

Mesmers most commonly used wells are the evasion, now aegis pulsing well which is great defensively. And their crowd control elite well which is great for bursting on a group of the enemy zerg.

Necro wells bring raw damage and boon control to the table which when properly timed and placed, devastates the enemy.

Having said that, i would love to see a necro elite well too.

Scourge Demo Weekend Roaming Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsby6rYkxS8

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

can we pretty please delete both well of blood and well of darkness? no one would miss those two at all, trust trust!

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

Gravity well does more reliable dmg since it keep you in and triggres interpt dmg. The other pure dmg one has a handy cripple and low CD.
Not arguing about balance or elite vs regular skill, just saying theyre more effective.

The heal and blindwell are indeed a joke.
Heal needs its kindergarden math fail reversed + a cleanse added.
Blind could have 20s CD and i wouldnt slot it so adios pls

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I mentioned this to Bhawb the other day, but I do have an idea for Well of Darkness.

Keep its current effect and cooldown, but make it form an opaque black dome for enemies (allies see it as a transparent dome like the toxic krait bubbles). Inside the dome, it’s like one of the dark rooms in PvE/Obsidian Sanctum (for enemies only). You can’t see things properly in there.

Now, you can still maintain a target, perhaps, but do you know what is being hidden during those 5 seconds? It could be absolutely nothing, or it could be reeeeeeal nasty.

Wouldn’t affect PvE use at all, but I could see some crazy plays coming from it in PvP/WvW.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

I mentioned this to Bhawb the other day, but I do have an idea for Well of Darkness.

Keep its current effect and cooldown, but make it form an opaque black dome for enemies (allies see it as a transparent dome like the toxic krait bubbles). Inside the dome, it’s like one of the dark rooms in PvE/Obsidian Sanctum (for enemies only). You can’t see things properly in there.

Now, you can still maintain a target, perhaps, but do you know what is being hidden during those 5 seconds? It could be absolutely nothing, or it could be reeeeeeal nasty.

Wouldn’t affect PvE use at all, but I could see some crazy plays coming from it in PvP/WvW.

Well of refuge

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Well of refuge

Well, it won’t drop target or grant stealth, but it would be able to hide spell effects as well

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: Infusion.7149

Infusion.7149

If you use Chilling Darkness with the Well of Darkness , it will AoE chill for that duration as well.

Well of Blood is only shoddy because Necros don’t really spec into heal so what you end up with is a skill that is subpar compared to the other heal skills you can use.

Well of Power is strong against conditions and that’s about it. It’s got a stunbreak as well, but for reapers stunbreak isn’t that special.

Just because necro wells aren’t used in PvE doesn’t mean that they need to be heavily buffed.

Desolation (EU) → Yak’s Bend (US)
In your backline: Elementalist+Mesmer+Necromancer

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sadrien.3470

Sadrien.3470

can we pretty please delete both well of blood and well of darkness? no one would miss those two at all, trust trust!

Well of darkness is amazing you freaking troll.

Have fun. Be Alive. K Thnx Bye.

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

When you look at wells, mesmers got the better deal…

Which is why in WvW you see zergs with 15 wells mesmers and just a couple of necros using just the one well that is actually good , oh wait…

Welcome to the world of game design where comparing one skill against another in isolation (or one set of a certain type against another in this case) is dumb.

To take a couple of relevant examples in this case, firstly you are comparing a class with huge amounts of AOE that is always usable, to one with relatively little and even much of that becomes unusable in certain situations (hint: illusions don’t work well when there is lots of AOE flying around, they tend to die).

Secondly you are ignoring things like damage modifiers that effect wells, necro has multiple modifiers for that, some of them with huge modifiers, like Death’s Perception, Strength of Undeath, Close To Death, etc, as opposed to mesmer…

(edited by zinkz.7045)

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

About Gravity Well, everyone seems to forget the damage of the skill comes from Power Block and keeping the target locked in place for a burst which CS can double up on.

The only amazing part about it is its name which the skill sadly fails to live up to.

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: mazut.4296

mazut.4296

Well of suffering does more damage than Gravity well or well of calamity so I don’t know your complaint?

Wells can’t be stronger than traps due to their being targeted AoE rather than PBAOE. That sort of goes out the window when stacks of traps are pre-placed though.

You can easily escape well of suffering and only take 1 hit, but you take the whole damage from well of gravity plus all the cc.
Also traps only disadvantage is that they only can be summoned at your feet and has a bit smaller radius, but at least one of them has snare effect. In every other way they are better then wells.

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

mazut.4296

I like well of darkness, its pretty useful in some situations and yes it need to be reworked and its cd lowered, especially now after we have a weapon skill thats better.
Well of blood also need rework, I say increase its effectivness with healing power. The skill is designed for support and if necro is playing support with healing power it can then shine. So having its niche is a good thing.
Apart from well of suffering, which is ok all the other wells need changes, either to their damage/utility or cd reduction. Or maybe another trait in different tree.

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

mazut.4296

When you look at wells, mesmers got the better deal…

Which is why in WvW you see zergs with 15 wells mesmers and just a couple of wells necros, oh wait…

Welcome to the world of game design and logical thought, comparing one skill against another in isolation (or one set of a certain type against another in this case) is dumb.

To take a couple of relevant examples in this case, firstly you are comparing a class with huge amounts of AOE that is always usable, to one with relatively little and even much of that becomes unusable in certain situations (hint: illusions don’t work well when there is lots of AOE flying around, they tend to die).

Secondly you are ignoring things like damage modifiers that effect wells, necro has multiple modifiers for that, some of them with huge modifiers, like Death’s Perception, Strength of Undeath, Close To Death, etc, as opposed to mesmer…

Dumb is the fact that Pve, PvP and WvW are NOT separated. This is the biggest problem, period.

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zantmar.5406

Zantmar.5406

Easily make necro wells better
Merge well of power and blood as a new heal- tone down and make it not convert but just remove condi but the stun break should stay

Well of darkness can just become elite with added damage ,6xpulse blind, and cause the enemy screen to become black while they are inside for the first 3 seconds and final pulse is a fear

Suffering can use a life force per hit like well of corruption or maybe also pulse cripple for some soft cc- one or the other

Corruption could use its cd lowered to that of suffering

Life blast should hit twice and have its damage halfed
If Rocket Charge is only 2 leaps then it should look like 2 leaps
True Shot should be cast on the move

(edited by Zantmar.5406)

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Well of Darkness is weak. But it is still a good skill by necro standards. There are a lot of situations where it is highly useful.

To make it better it needs a lower cooldown and possibly projectile destructrion. Also wouldnt hurt to add damage on pulse to it (Nightmare court Knights in TA have a good version of well of darkness). And Ascalonian necros in AC have strong wells as well.

Well of Power should pulse stability for allies standing in it.

Well of Suffering should get a small boost to damage and a lower cooldown.

Well of Corruption should probably apply some condition in addition to its current effects. Maybe cripple. Or torment if soft cc is too much.

(edited by spoj.9672)

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

Reduce Well of Suffering and Corruption’s cooldown to 30 seconds.
Add bonus damage to Corruption if no boons are removed (+50% or so).
Buff Well of Blood since it is currently outmatched by Signet of Vampirism.
Another projectile destruction would be great, especially considering Corrosive Poison Cloud’s horrid self inflicting weakness (changes to Corruptions are for another topic).
And yes, as spoj said, pulsing stability on Well of Power.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

(edited by Lahmia.2193)

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: Brokensunday.4098

Brokensunday.4098

well of darkness add a knock down per pulse and damage and it would be ok

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

I like this idea but would also like it to grant retal and destroy projectiles passing through.

WoD is too situational as it is.

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Sadrien.3470

About Gravity Well, everyone seems to forget the damage of the skill comes from Power Block and keeping the target locked in place for a burst which CS can double up on.

The only amazing part about it is its name which the skill sadly fails to live up to.

No, the well of darkness is amazing in both pve and WvW. Definitely not a pvp thing even though there are capture points though.

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Sadrien.3470

I like this idea but would also like it to grant retal and destroy projectiles passing through.

WoD is too situational as it is.

I like this idea… but keep the blindspam pls.

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Sadrien.3470

Well of Darkness is weak. But it is still a good skill by necro standards. There are a lot of situations where it is highly useful.

To make it better it needs a lower cooldown and possibly projectile destructrion. Also wouldnt hurt to add damage on pulse to it (Nightmare court Knights in TA have a good version of well of darkness). And Ascalonian necros in AC have strong wells as well.

Well of Corruption should probably apply some condition in addition to its current effects. Maybe cripple. Or torment if soft cc is too much.

All good ideas, I approve.

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: Akrasia.5469

Akrasia.5469

A small amount of damage should be added to Well of Darkness and Well of Power. Well of darkness should also cripple or chill. Well of Suffering is almost perfect maybe a slight cooldown reduction but not even need. Well of Corruption is ok but should do more damage (25-50% more) to those without boons. Well of Blood should be slightly lowered intial heal and much greater pulse heal and siphon by default

An elite well would be awesome. It should be bigger, 320 radius. It should chill every pulse, be unblockable and do both damage and condition damage. I think Well of Dhuum that burns and blasts and chills with every pulse for 8 pulses.

(edited by Akrasia.5469)

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Reducing the cooldown of all the wells would be good enough for me, personally.

Well Of Suffering and Well Of Corruption to 30, Well Of Darkness to 25, Well Of Power to 40 and maybe increasing that on cast Stability to 2 or 3 seconds instead of 1. I’d be happy with that and I think it would make them all stronger while not making any of them OP.

EDIT: Hm, just had an interesting idea for WoD. Might be fun to do something like, “haunt your foes with your Life Force, shrouding them in a blinding aura that causes their missed attacks to grant you Life Force.”

Gives them the same visual effect as having Death Shroud, the smokey black aura, and when ever they miss an attack you gain some Life Force?

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

(edited by SpellOfIniquity.1780)

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

I think wells are awesome as they are.

But, I mostly do solo pve, and I run a build that seems to be very different from what I read that most others run/prefer.

I run axe/dagger power build with wells of blood, darkness, and suffering. I use bone minions and flesh golem. Most importantly I use traits Vampiric and Vampiric Presence. (go ahead and mock me for this build, flame shield is raised)

With those two traits my wells melt through large groups of mobs… and allow me to go face-to-face with champs. Those are when I use ‘em, and I don’t need ’em any other time…. I rarely take any major hit to my health.

In pve the wells combined with those two traits make me pretty much immortal… and I don’t have to invest a lick of stats into healing power to do it.

As far as the claim of vampiric signet being better than well of blood, they serve two different functions. The passive heal of the signet only works when you’re hit… my minions take a lot of my aggro, so it’s infrequently useful from that aspect. Also, the active effect of the signet affects a single target, where as my well heals and siphons in an area… making it amazing when there are a lot of mobs and/or I want to give a bit of extra health to my minions that currently have mob attention. In my case, the well is definitely preferable to the signet.

All that said, I think an elite well would be really cool… but I don’t know if I could give up the golem. What I’d want to see in an elite well is something that spawns minions the equivalent of those karka hatchlings… with each pulse they pop out of the well, head towards the enemy, and explode in minion-explody-awesomeness.

~EW

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

WoD could use some help, especially for PvE.

Right now, I do not use wells very much. When I do, it is usually for WvW zergs.

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: zapv.8051

zapv.8051

Pretty spot on here. To add to this, well of blood should get a cd reduction to like 30 seconds and then maybe grant a boon or cleanse condis.

Necros don’t have reflects, invulns, vigor, blocks,
extra dodges, real stability, mobility skills,
burst skills, sustain, or good support. GG ANET.

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: Akrasia.5469

Akrasia.5469

I think wells are awesome as they are.

But, I mostly do solo pve, and I run a build that seems to be very different from what I read that most others run/prefer.

I run axe/dagger power build with wells of blood, darkness, and suffering. I use bone minions and flesh golem. Most importantly I use traits Vampiric and Vampiric Presence. (go ahead and mock me for this build, flame shield is raised)

With those two traits my wells melt through large groups of mobs… and allow me to go face-to-face with champs. Those are when I use ‘em, and I don’t need ’em any other time…. I rarely take any major hit to my health.

In pve the wells combined with those two traits make me pretty much immortal… and I don’t have to invest a lick of stats into healing power to do it.

As far as the claim of vampiric signet being better than well of blood, they serve two different functions. The passive heal of the signet only works when you’re hit… my minions take a lot of my aggro, so it’s infrequently useful from that aspect. Also, the active effect of the signet affects a single target, where as my well heals and siphons in an area… making it amazing when there are a lot of mobs and/or I want to give a bit of extra health to my minions that currently have mob attention. In my case, the well is definitely preferable to the signet.

All that said, I think an elite well would be really cool… but I don’t know if I could give up the golem. What I’d want to see in an elite well is something that spawns minions the equivalent of those karka hatchlings… with each pulse they pop out of the well, head towards the enemy, and explode in minion-explody-awesomeness.

~EW

I used to run something similar in solo PvE but I got rid of minions a while back when the AI was horrible. Being Sylvari luckily I have take root which adding invuln and plants to shoot helps a lot. Or I sometimes for fun run Lich form (which also has minions). I use blood and vampiric traits and run old school necro not reaper in my solo build. Well of Blood, Suffering, corruption and power, Death and Soul Reaping round me out. I almost never die unless I’m really being stupid. I solo medium level Champs with no problem.

One suggestion is if you’re running a power build as it seems then take Axe/focus as your off hand. You can fill your lifeforce in no time and spam vulnerability at the same time making your minions do more damage. On top of that there are 2 slow down skills which really help you get away from mobs in a jam. Besides running MM there’s no reason to be on the front lines as much as you do with your dagger. I use Dagger/Warhorn for mobility and get in and out plus an extra heal but staying mid is preferred if you’re in a tough fight.

Did you read my suggestion for Well of Bone above?

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

EphemeralWallaby.7643

I used to run something similar in solo PvE but I got rid of minions a while back when the AI was horrible. Being Sylvari luckily I have take root which adding invuln and plants to shoot helps a lot. Or I sometimes for fun run Lich form (which also has minions). I use blood and vampiric traits and run old school necro not reaper in my solo build. Well of Blood, Suffering, corruption and power, Death and Soul Reaping round me out. I almost never die unless I’m really being stupid. I solo medium level Champs with no problem.

I’ll take a look at Take Root, I find I generally dismiss racial skills out of hand anymore, with rare exceptions… thank you for that idea! Also, I’ll take a fresh look at Lich Form. I’ve been running golem for so long it’s become hard thinking outside that box… even though build experimentation is my favorite thing to do in GW2, lol.

The only reason I have the minions is aggro control, health siphon, and condi cleanse. I honestly don’t care if they how much damage they do, so long as they rush my target(s) and grab their attention, or otherwise become a distraction.

One suggestion is if you’re running a power build as it seems then take Axe/focus as your off hand. You can fill your lifeforce in no time and spam vulnerability at the same time making your minions do more damage. On top of that there are 2 slow down skills which really help you get away from mobs in a jam.

There was a thread a little while ago discussing the disapointment in the axe… but I LOVE my axe. Not only is it ranged, but with the siphon traits my AA alone siphons health 4 times and applies 2 stacks of vuln… that’s amazing for a power build.

I used to run focus, but it fell out of favor when I started taking advantage of the health siphon traits… this is because the siphon doesn’t utilize healing power (much)… so I could ignore that stat… But ignoring that stat meant I wasn’t taking full advantage of the regeneration granted by focus 4. That’s the primary reason I dropped it.

So, I delved into dagger and found that the traited speed bonus, #3 Axe cripple, #4 dagger homing blind, and #5 dagger weakness helps with mitigating heavy spike damage and getting away, too.

Besides running MM there’s no reason to be on the front lines as much as you do with your dagger. I use Dagger/Warhorn for mobility and get in and out plus an extra heal but staying mid is preferred if you’re in a tough fight.

Plz forgive me, but I can never remember a lot of gw2 shorthand… what is MM? I probably do know it, but lack of coffee has me muddled atm.

I keep mid range most of the time, too… It’s also one of the reasons I infrequently drop any well except in those circumstances I talked about previously… but I have found I can be in the front lines a long while so long as I have at least one well not on cd.

Did you read my suggestion for Well of Bone above?

Do you mean Well of Dhuum? I do like that idea… burn, chill, and solid damage sounds great, and definitely makes wells more appealing to condi and condi/power hybrid builds. I also really like your idea for the change to well of blood… especially because that’d mean each pulse would siphon health 3 times from each enemy hit… that makes me smile.

~EW

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Thats a pretty cool idea. I could definitely get with this. Also pls make it a smoke field :o

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Thats a pretty cool idea. I could definitely get with this. Also pls make it a smoke field :o

Sounds cool for pvp. But wouldn’t people just turn of post processing to negate it. Assuming they don’t already have it off. And it doesn’t help pve at all.

Make Wells Viable

in Necromancer

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Sounds cool for pvp. But wouldn’t people just turn of post processing to negate it. Assuming they don’t already have it off. And it doesn’t help pve at all.

If you cranked it up a bit and made it so the darkness acts like an obstruction, it could have wicked applications in pve, pvp, and wvw. Blocking skill LoS for everyone inside and out would make it a fun two-edged sword, I think.

~EW