Master of Corruption - worst trait ever.

in Necromancer

Posted by: dzeRnumbrd.6129

dzeRnumbrd.6129

Is it time to rekindle the outrage at this terrible trait yet? or have we given up?

Corruption is supposed to be minor negative outcome balanced by a major positive outcome.

33% cool down reduction is not a major positive outcome, it’s average for a trait.

Some of the condis you put on yourself with traited corruption skills can be totally devastating.

Traits should add a bonus, not a negative (even corruption based traits).

If anything when you “master” a corruption skill then you should be able to execute them without any negative outcome.

The trait should be:

“Reduce recharge on corruption skills. Corruption skills no longer inflict conditions on you.”

<——- Beats dead horse some more.

Is Robert Gee still around?

in Necromancer

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

Sorry, I really don’t mean to be..erm..mean here..But.. It sounds more about the players skill then actual issue with the trait itself.
MoC is actually a good trait to have when using corruption based traits (unless you need RS #2 boon strip more). The cooldown helps a lot and sure you get 1-2 condi thrown on to you.. But.. you then send it back at the enemy – (Transfer) using a number of means inc; dagger 4 and staff 4. You can also use those extra conditions to heal you, Consume Conditions.

It just takes a little bit of skill to know what you’ll be hit with and when to best use them. A lot of the time, the conditions you get aren’t even troublesome.. heal, quick AA to get rid of blind etc etc.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Necromancer

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

These 2 posts exactly show why this is a bad trait.

The devs indeed expected the conditions to be something you play around or even benefit from. As HardRider says, you can transfer them or benefit from them with your heal for example. But let us be honest, it may work in PvE, but in PvP, it is not that obvious.

And the trait is not the only problem, the skills are too (though recently Boon corrupt and the projectile thingy have been improved).

The way I see it, corruption would be great if they just damaged you (your HP or shroud) but gave you strong benefits. The reasoning is simple: our mechanics (shroud) and our high HP means we have high passive sustain but we pay for it with fairly low PvE DPS, low burst and lack of active defenses. I would love corruption to be a way to trade some of these extra HP for some active defense (evade/invuln), burst, support or damage-augmenting utility.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rirgul.5302

Rirgul.5302

There’s nothing wrong with this trait. 33% was very good before the elite spec. power creep, most other CD traits were 20% around the board (Ignoring elementalist). Getting more conditions from this trait actually helps the condi build’s DPS, especially in raids if using all 3 of the utilities. There isn’t any reason to use these skills in a power build, as there are better alternatives to them all elsewhere.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

One thing I would like to point out is that I feel like I am being funneled toward a very particular trait and equipment set when taking MoC. Wells, Spectral, minions, and shout utilities seem much more tolerant of build variety. Not so with MoC. When I take it, it feels like the trait defines the rest of my build.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

There’s nothing wrong with this trait. 33% was very good before the elite spec. power creep, most other CD traits were 20% around the board (Ignoring elementalist). Getting more conditions from this trait actually helps the condi build’s DPS, especially in raids if using all 3 of the utilities. There isn’t any reason to use these skills in a power build, as there are better alternatives to them all elsewhere.

The trait has been always bad. In fact, ANet even fixed it way before power creep cause you could 100-0 yourself by simply using corruptions

M I L K B O I S

in Necromancer

Posted by: nopoet.2960

nopoet.2960

I’m fairly new to the necro but I’ve always wondered about that trait. Can someone link a build with it? Seems like the trait would benefit from a couple seconds of resistance.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rirgul.5302

Rirgul.5302

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQJArYjM0QzNWdDe3AHOWKGs4dYRMJGFAGAJApPQIoDA-TxRFQBub/BAcCA81DAYkKBbneg+p+TDV+RKgFVWB-e

There you go. Condi’s get transferred by minions/Offhand D#4 etc etc.

I agree it does limit your build quite a bit, but I maintain that it’s not a bad trait.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Wintermute.5408

Wintermute.5408

The idea, at least for PVE, is to use CPC-BiP-Dagger4 combo to get extra damage from BiP self-condis, or stack condis on yourself and use Consume Conditions for extra healing. It’s pretty awesome trait, just not for PVP.

Welcome to Rivendell, mister Anderson

in Necromancer

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

And the Plague Sending adept trait also transfers them to the enemy on crits. And makes this build a hard counter to conditions as well, since all you’re doing is fueling their attack.

in Necromancer

Posted by: nopoet.2960

nopoet.2960

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQJArYjM0QzNWdDe3AHOWKGs4dYRMJGFAGAJApPQIoDA-TxRFQBub/BAcCA81DAYkKBbneg+p+TDV+RKgFVWB-e

I agree it does limit your build quite a bit, but I maintain that it’s not a bad trait.

I wont have reaper for a while. Do people take Blood for Blood Bond and Unholy Martyr in this kind of build?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

I’ve always said they should just change corruptions so that all conditions attached to the skills are inflicted on the foe to begin with.
E.g. Blood is power – Inflict 4 stacks of bleed + 2 torment if traited. Nerf the duration a bit if need be.

While many of you may say “well we have condi transfer”, this would be like having a Mesmer or Mallyx Rev inflict boons on their foe, just because they have a large amounts of boon strip.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Can also bring Sigil of Generosity and “Suffer!”

NSPride <3

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I wont have reaper for a while. Do people take Blood for Blood Bond and Unholy Martyr in this kind of build?

Never Unholy Martyr. That is just a terrible trait (too slow of a pull to really help allies, only active in a mode where you don’t have condition management without blowing another trait line on it). You go with Transfusion instead.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I’ve been using a Master Of Corruption build since it was reworked, pretty much. And I don’t want it changed. I’ve been planning on making a short video to showcase what it can do to players in WvW now that I have a computer capable of supporting recording programs.

MoC is a punishing trait to take but it’s also very powerful if used properly. I want conditions on me as a corruptomancer and MoC is a nice way to do that. The more conditions you stack on me (within reason of course) the more ammunition I have to blow people up.

Also, the positive outcome is major. Being able to stack double the amount of conditions on people.

It’s just a very highly risk/reward type of gamble much like a Quickness P/P Thief. If I miss my transfers, I can kill myself with my own conditions. If I land them, I do an insane amount of damage. And trust me with the burst this build can do, I am far beyond caring how risky it is to play. It’s just too satisfying to be able to nearly insta-stack 8+ conditions on someone without Signet of Spite.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

(edited by SpellOfIniquity.1780)

in Necromancer

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

I really, really do not want to be mean here, but it’s just a simple matter of fact that you’re a bad player if you think this trait is bad.

It’s arguably one of the strongest traits in the necromancers kitten nal.

It’s a MUST in the condition based builds. You know necromancers can dump the conditions they’re currently suffering from, onto the enemy right? This makes corruptions even stronger than just having a flat 33% cd reduction.

I wouldn’t even say it’s “high risk high reward” gameplay..
Just don’t use a corruption unless you have a condi transfer up.

I actually complain to the druids in my group when they’re spamming cleanses because it hinders my DPS.

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

in Necromancer

Krysard.1364

I really, really do not want to be mean here, but it’s just a simple matter of fact that you’re a bad player if you think this trait is bad.

It’s a MUST in the condition based builds. You know necromancers can dump the conditions they’re currently suffering from, onto the enemy right? This makes corruptions even stronger than just having a flat 33% cd reduction.

I actually complain to the druids in my group when they’re spamming cleanses because it hinders my DPS.

just lol

M I L K B O I S

in Necromancer

Posted by: Erasmus.1624

Erasmus.1624

It just takes a little bit of skill

One doesn’t need skill to use Master of Corruptions properly. One needs only elementary literacy to read which tooltips say “transfer” in them. It’s a trait with lazy, arbitrary and flavor-based draw-backs that pigeon-holes players into making obvious skill choices on their skill selections.

in Necromancer

Posted by: dzeRnumbrd.6129

dzeRnumbrd.6129

Calling it a l2p issue is just childish.

It may suit your particular gimmick build but it doesn’t suit most builds.

I’m not dumb enough to waste putrid mark on a 4 second blind in WvW when I know an immobilise is coming soon.

I have to eat that blind (dps drop for me) and vulnerability (dps increase for my enemy) every time I heal.

I have to eat that poison and bleed every time I plague.

It’s a trait that pigeon holes you into a gimmick condi build. L2P indeed.

in Necromancer

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I actually complain to the druids in my group when they’re spamming cleanses because it hinders my DPS

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Necromancer

bearshaman.3421

I’m not dumb enough to waste putrid mark on a 4 second blind in WvW when I know an immobilise is coming soon.

I have to eat that blind (dps drop for me) and vulnerability (dps increase for my enemy) every time I heal.

I don’t feel pigeon-holed at all. If you are doing a condi build and you don’t take the Curses traitline, you are doing it really really weird (I won’t say wrong, maybe you’ve figured out something I missed).

If you are using the Curses traitline, what else are you gonna use at that level? a trait that causes fear to do damage (while we have it, it’s not on enough skills to make this worth it without specifically make a “Run away from me!” build), and one that makes ONE shroud skill do boon corruption, and it’s not the AA. MoC gives you more conditions to transfer to the enemy. It’s a condition build, so that’s what you want to do anyway.

How is that pigeon-holed or gimmicky? The other two traits fit that description way more than MoC…

in Necromancer

Krysard.1364

I don’t feel pigeon-holed at all. If you are doing a condi build and you don’t take the Curses traitline, you are doing it really really weird (I won’t say wrong, maybe you’ve figured out something I missed).

If you are using the Curses traitline, what else are you gonna use at that level? a trait that causes fear to do damage (while we have it, it’s not on enough skills to make this worth it without specifically make a “Run away from me!” build), and one that makes ONE shroud skill do boon corruption, and it’s not the AA. MoC gives you more conditions to transfer to the enemy. It’s a condition build, so that’s what you want to do anyway.

How is that pigeon-holed or gimmicky? The other two traits fit that description way more than MoC…

Spite builds were totally viable when chill did damage, now they dont offer enough dmg to be worth without an ele supporting you 24/7, but curses isnt a must have. Path of corruption offers you RS utility, condi pressure while camping shroud, and the cleave that you lack when dropping spite, while MoC either forces you to use condi transfers (dunno how anyone can consider this good) or Carrion amulet, cause good luck using traited Corrupt Boon with anything that doesnt give you vitalilty.

And even if the other two traits were considered more gimmicky than MoC, this doesnt mean that MoC isnt bad. Deathly chill is bad even tho the other two options are worse, so…

M I L K B O I S

(edited by Krysard.1364)

in Necromancer

Razor.9872

Ok?…

Then don’t?

I don’t understand what your problem is. Just wait for the immob to come and transfer that. Perhaps you will end up transferring that blind too if it’s not already gone.

NSPride <3

in Necromancer

Krysard.1364

Ok?…

Then don’t?

I don’t understand what your problem is. Just wait for the immob to come and transfer that. Perhaps you will end up transferring that blind too if it’s not already gone.

I guess waste then your skills to burn a stupid blind. The fact that you need to invest on cleansing your own conditions for this trait to work is what makes it bad.

M I L K B O I S

in Necromancer

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Ok?…

Then don’t?

I guess waste then your skills to burn a stupid blind. The fact that you need to invest on cleansing your own conditions for this trait to work is what makes it bad.

Press “1”.

Hey look! Blind is cleared!

I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

Imo, this trait and the curses line in general would be far better if it
a) Did not add more damage to the caster
b) Corruption skills other than Corrupt Boon were better in PvP
c) It was merged with Path of Corruption (Why do I have to spend an entire trait slot for something so bland?)

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

in Necromancer

Razor.9872

Ok?…

Then don’t?

Why would you waste skills to burn a blind? Why? What is causing you to do this? I specifically stated in my response to wait for the immob to come, and transfer that — and the blind would possibly follow. I was specifically saying to not waste a transfer on a single blind. Like, how was I misinterpreted?

NSPride <3

in Necromancer

Krysard.1364

Ok?…

Then don’t?

Why would you waste skills to burn a blind? Why? What is causing you to do this? I specifically stated in my response to wait for the immob to come, and transfer that — and the blind would possibly follow. I was specifically saying to not waste a transfer on a single blind. Like, how was I misinterpreted?

Because whats the point on standing there for 4 s doing nothing?

M I L K B O I S

in Necromancer

Krysard.1364

Ok?…

Then don’t?

Press “1”.

Hey look! Blind is cleared!

Too bad when you heal yourself you’re usually playing deffensively and so want to use CC skills, for example.

M I L K B O I S

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

33% cool down reduction is not a major positive outcome, it’s average for a trait.

No, it’s a major positive outcome and it’s well above average for a trait. The trait affects 6 skills, unlike a lot of utility -CD effects, and it reduces CDs by 66% more than any other basic CD reduction trait (not looking at stuff which is more complicated, like mesmer Pistol or Torch traits). Just on that, it’s way stronger than most other CD-reduction traits.

The skills it affects are some of the strongest skills in the game; even if you taking only CC, you should be considering taking MoC.

Stacking more conditions on yourself is not a negative as a necromancer provided you don’t spam your utilities like a goon. You have high health and can take the damage. You have condition-sending skills which mean that giving yourself more conditions can actively help you.

Master of Corruption is not the ‘worst trait ever’. Frankly, as far as raw power goes, it’s probably one of the best traits. As far as game design goes, it’s one of the best traits, as it and the Corruption school at large play very well with risk-reward decision making. As far as flavor goes it’s pretty much perfect.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in Necromancer

Posted by: Heimdallr.7021

Heimdallr.7021

Aside from dagger#4 what other skills can use a viper necro to transfer conditions?
Honest question.

norn warrior

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dreaming serpent.5197

Dreaming serpent.5197

Aside from dagger#4 what other skills can use a viper necro to transfer conditions?
Honest question.

Staff #4, Plauge signet (traited for in adept curses for x2), Suffer is all of the necro transfers.

Jake Demoni -Necromancer- “Please stop moa-ing me”

in Necromancer

Posted by: Heimdallr.7021

Heimdallr.7021

Honest question.

Staff #4, Plauge signet (traited for in adept curses for x2), Suffer is all of the necro transfers.

thank you

norn warrior

in Necromancer

bearshaman.3421

Spite builds were totally viable when chill did damage, now they dont offer enough dmg to be worth without an ele supporting you 24/7, but curses isnt a must have. Path of corruption offers you RS utility, condi pressure while camping shroud, and the cleave that you lack when dropping spite, while MoC either forces you to use condi transfers (dunno how anyone can consider this good) or Carrion amulet, cause good luck using traited Corrupt Boon with anything that doesnt give you vitalilty.

And even if the other two traits were considered more gimmicky than MoC, this doesnt mean that MoC isnt bad. Deathly chill is bad even tho the other two options are worse, so…

Well we definitely have some differences of opinion. Deathly Chill needed to be brought back in line because damage on a condition that stacked duration not intensity is stupid. Not to mention that chill is an amazing condition already, and that just made it broken. The fix made that trait not overpowered for pvp, and not underpowered for pve (where if someone else was also using chill, the damage never happened anyway). But as your post indicates you’re a pvp player, I’m not gonna bother arguing that with you. I did that with others when the change first happened, and after people started using it more, my opinion was pretty well vindicated, at least among those who played pve primarily. I’ve been arguing for a split between pve and pvp for reasons like this.

In any case, condition transfer is ridiculously easy. Most weapons have at least one ability to do it. There are several utilities that do it. There are traits in multiple trait lines that do it. Condi transfer is cake.

A master trait that effects one skill in shroud and nothing else? That’s about as niche as you get. If you are making a build that camps shroud, sure, but most condi builds hope in to use #5 and then leave immediately (on DS, not RS). MoC gives a condi build more ammunition. If you use your skills in the right order, vitality isn’t an issue. And worst comes to worst, you can use Consume Conditions while you’re getting used to the build, but you really don’t need it unless you screw up and have conditions on you after the target dies.

Edit: All that said, if you don’t want to use it, don’t use it. There is plenty of other ways to do a condi build, and if you are primarily pvp, then the fear does damage trait might be a better choice for you, doing some damage with an interrupt. A condi pvp build probably has enough to have fun with corrupting all the boons people rely on.

(edited by bearshaman.3421)

in Necromancer

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

The trait itself is… okay. It has its uses and while I get the idea behind it, I do think adding a second condition through a trait so you can transfer it is a bad idea imo.
Also, MoC is especially stupid on Consume Conditions. Blind yourself because you have to heal…? what? lmao
I mean sure, you just do an auto attack and the blind is gone, but come on.

in Necromancer

Razor.9872

Ok?…

Then don’t?

Because whats the point on standing there for 4 s doing nothing?

I never once said you had to stand there for 4 seconds doing nothing. You are currently committing the Straw-man logical fallacy. Please, by all means, do something while you are expecting that immob to come.

NSPride <3

in Necromancer

Krysard.1364

Well we definitely have some differences of opinion. Deathly Chill needed to be brought back in line because damage on a condition that stacked duration not intensity is stupid. Not to mention that chill is an amazing condition already, and that just made it broken. The fix made that trait not overpowered for pvp, and not underpowered for pve (where if someone else was also using chill, the damage never happened anyway). But as your post indicates you’re a pvp player, I’m not gonna bother arguing that with you. I did that with others when the change first happened, and after people started using it more, my opinion was pretty well vindicated, at least among those who played pve primarily. I’ve been arguing for a split between pve and pvp for reasons like this.

In any case, condition transfer is ridiculously easy. Most weapons have at least one ability to do it. There are several utilities that do it. There are traits in multiple trait lines that do it. Condi transfer is cake.

A master trait that effects one skill in shroud and nothing else? That’s about as niche as you get. If you are making a build that camps shroud, sure, but most condi builds hope in to use #5 and then leave immediately (on DS, not RS). MoC gives a condi build more ammunition. If you use your skills in the right order, vitality isn’t an issue. And worst comes to worst, you can use Consume Conditions while you’re getting used to the build, but you really don’t need it unless you screw up and have conditions on you after the target dies.

Edit: All that said, if you don’t want to use it, don’t use it. There is plenty of other ways to do a condi build, and if you are primarily pvp, then the fear does damage trait might be a better choice for you, doing some damage with an interrupt. A condi pvp build probably has enough to have fun with corrupting all the boons people rely on.

I appreciate the long post. I’ve never said that chill dmg was balanced or well designed, but nor it is the actual trait. I was the first one to propose more or less balanced options for a trait useful both on pvp and pve situations due to the fact that splitting skills is nearly impossible with anet.

Condi transfer is insane, but it also is the amount of condis flying around pvp. There’s a lot of situations where self applied conditions get trivialized, but they can bother you equal times, and so you need to adapt your build/playstyle to the weakness of a trait.

About camping shroud, its actually quite useful even tho your condi application gets reduced. While with carrion you usually run crit, with wanderers you can constantly corrupt boons while maintaining a few stacks of burn, so PoC is better than MoC. With carrion it depends on their comp, which is actually a little sad due to the great synergy that MoC has compared to the nearly 0 synergy of PoC.

M I L K B O I S

in Necromancer

Posted by: Erasmus.1624

Erasmus.1624

Condi transfer is insane, but it also is the amount of condis flying around pvp.

Not exactly part of this conversation, but I’m seriously baffled as to how anet kept caving so hard to people crying about how “damage over time” wasn’t as effective as “spike damage” (i.e. direct damage). Not only does GW2 have too many boons and conditions, but it really just was not a smart idea to give any given build/class responsibility for/access to more than 2 (maybe 3) conditions and boons respectively. It would have really helped with screen clutter and would have promoted more combat legibility and class flavor.

As it stands now, everybody does the same thing.

in Necromancer

bearshaman.3421

Condi transfer is insane, but it also is the amount of condis flying around pvp.

Not exactly part of this conversation, but I’m seriously baffled as to how anet kept caving so hard to people crying about how “damage over time” wasn’t as effective as “spike damage” (i.e. direct damage). Not only does GW2 have too many boons and conditions, but it really just was not a smart idea to give any given build/class responsibility for/access to more than 2 (maybe 3) conditions and boons respectively. It would have really helped with screen clutter and would have promoted more combat legibility and class flavor.

As it stands now, everybody does the same thing.

While I kinda understand your complaint, one of the strong points of GW2 is that classes aren’t pigeonholed by the “holy trinity” of healer,tank,dps. So part of that is intentional. How they go about doing it varies from class to class, and other things are more class specific. For instance, stealth is primarily the province of thief and mesmer (and recently scrapper), whereas I don’t think anyone else really has boon corruption.

At one point (before June a year ago) condition damage was reworked because it wasn’t on par with direct damage. After the rework, it became stronger (if you stated for condition damage) but weaker if you didn’t. (people before was just using it as bonus damage on a DD build, and never building for condi.)

in Necromancer

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

There was also the issue of conquest mode necessitating kills be under a certain timespan to be worthwhile, and slower condition builds just couldn’t handle it.

I’m a Geeleiver