Necro Changes!

Necro Changes!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sigmoid.7082

Sigmoid.7082

So:
Sceptar #1 does the same if not a pointlessly small higher amount of DPS but ramps up faster so buffed.
Scpeter #2 does more damage over all and has longer bleeds.
Scpeter #3 for condi builds is just a pure fpDPSs increase.

Over all the whole thing has been buffed.

Scepter 1 is a slight nerf not a slight buff, scepter 2 is a slight buff, these 2 cancel each other out almost perfectly.

Scepter 3 is a buff to DPS but an average nerf to LF gain.

I think slightly longer duration on scepter 3, and a LF gain skill on dagger 4/5 would be good.

I think the overall bigger problem is that bleeds suck. they need to make bleeds to the damage they were supposed to be before the unexplained patch day fake out nerf. If they fix that then I think condi necro could actually be really good.

Mathematically its an improvement no way to say otherwise. Before the changes at best you would get 2 stacks of 20s of bleed and 16s of poison per full auto chain. So 40 bleed ticks and 16 poison ticks. After the change at best you can get 3 stacks of bleed for 13.5s and 18s of poison per full chain. So that is 40.5 ticks of bleed and 18 ticks of poison per auto chain. The dps is roughly the same but because it ramps up faster its a buff. The only way its a dps loss is if you miss the last auto.

Scepter two, before the change at best you would get 28s of 3 stacks of bleed. Now you can get 30s of 3 stacks of bleed. Straight buff.

Scepter 3 is now a pure condition skill. Doesnt really need a duration increase its fine as is. Just because the up-time is between 96 and 100%+ doesnt make it bad.

So thats 3/3 on buffs for condi builds.

Necro Changes!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cerbeius.7129

Cerbeius.7129

Just done some Husk killing at TTWurm. Have to change my rotation a bit to maximize dmg now, because active Signet of Spite (with Signet of Suffering traited) + Feast of Corruption is kitten!

Also, with the new CPC, Necros can now be Diboof as well, no?

Lady Cerba, Ascalonian Priestess of Grenth

- Piken Square, [REN][DKAL]

(edited by Cerbeius.7129)

Necro Changes!

in Necromancer

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

So:
Sceptar #1 does the same if not a pointlessly small higher amount of DPS but ramps up faster so buffed.

Scepter 1 is a slight nerf not a slight buff, scepter 2 is a slight buff, these 2 cancel each other out almost perfectly.

I think slightly longer duration on scepter 3, and a LF gain skill on dagger 4/5 would be good.

I think the overall bigger problem is that bleeds suck. they need to make bleeds to the damage they were supposed to be before the unexplained patch day fake out nerf. If they fix that then I think condi necro could actually be really good.

Mathematically its an improvement no way to say otherwise. Before the changes at best you would get 2 stacks of 20s of bleed and 16s of poison per full auto chain. So 40 bleed ticks and 16 poison ticks. After the change at best you can get 3 stacks of bleed for 13.5s and 18s of poison per full chain. So that is 40.5 ticks of bleed and 18 ticks of poison per auto chain. The dps is roughly the same but because it ramps up faster its a buff. The only way its a dps loss is if you miss the last auto.

Scepter two, before the change at best you would get 28s of 3 stacks of bleed. Now you can get 30s of 3 stacks of bleed. Straight buff.

Scepter 3 is now a pure condition skill. Doesnt really need a duration increase its fine as is. Just because the up-time is between 96 and 100%+ doesnt make it bad.

Sorry i’m not going to settle for sup-par bottom tier dps with no utility even if it is a buff over the old sub-par dps.

Scepter 3 duration definetly needs to be increased, bleed needs to be buffed, OH dagger needs to get a LF gain, and lingering curse needs a rework to become a group wide duration buff. Once we get that or the equivalent of that then I will be satisfied.

Necro Changes!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Mikkel.8427

Mikkel.8427

ZudetGambeous.9573
“Why? Mesmer can do it, at higher stacks, with higher bleeds, and more direct damage, and access to group buffs, and stealth, and confusion.
So why?”

You have to also remember that Mesmer has zero (thats right ZERO) utilities that apply damaging conditions.

spoj.9672
“I assume you are joking seeing as Mesmer is basically the utility version of an ele. Its top tier. Might not have loads of blasts but you can use torch for one quick easy one. And mes has plenty of other tools to make you feel like you are contributing.”

Mesmer is in a similar (or opposite depending on how you look at it) boat as Necro…

Necro has pretty solid DPS and barely any group utility.

Mesmer has solid group utilities and abysmal DPS.

and what Mesmer would ever use Torch in PvE??? You do realize the blast on torch 4 is delayed 3 secs right AND is their only blast finisher? and the torch phantasm is completely worthless?

(edited by Mikkel.8427)

Necro Changes!

in Necromancer

Sigmoid.7082

So:

Sorry i’m not going to settle for sup-par bottom tier dps with no utility even if it is a buff over the old sub-par dps.

Scepter 3 duration definetly needs to be increased, bleed needs to be buffed, OH dagger needs to get a LF gain, and lingering curse needs a rework to become a group wide duration buff. Once we get that or the equivalent of that then I will be satisfied.

That wasnt my point. My point was pointing out you were wrong about all three skills not being stronger than before. Im not denying certain other things may or may not need adjustment.

(edited by Sigmoid.7082)

Necro Changes!

in Necromancer

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

So:

That wasnt my point. My point was pointing out you were wrong about all three skills not being stronger than before. Im not denying certain other things may or may not need adjustment.

Yeah I was wrong there, I got mixed up with the calculations from Monday when there was no info on the scepter 2 changes. That would have been a wash, but since they buffed scepter 2 it does work out to be a miniscule buff.

It’s such a small change though I have to wonder why they even bothered? I guess it removes the dependence on lingering curse. But lingering curse is still going to be taken by every PvE condition build and no PvP condition build.

The only way I could see it making sense is if they planned on buffing bleeds, but they didn’t do that.

Necro Changes!

in Necromancer

Sigmoid.7082

It’s such a small change though I have to wonder why they even bothered? I guess it removes the dependence on lingering curse. But lingering curse is still going to be taken by every PvE condition build and no PvP condition build.

PvE dps is higher but also ramps up faster which was one of the issues in the first place. Mobs may also have increased ability to remove or transfer conditions we dont know yet. PvP just buffs outright because of cleanses ramp up time is very important.

Necro Changes!

in Necromancer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

ZudetGambeous.9573
“Why? Mesmer can do it, at higher stacks, with higher bleeds, and more direct damage, and access to group buffs, and stealth, and confusion.
So why?”

You have to also remember that Mesmer has zero (thats right ZERO) utilities that apply damaging conditions.

spoj.9672
“I assume you are joking seeing as Mesmer is basically the utility version of an ele. Its top tier. Might not have loads of blasts but you can use torch for one quick easy one. And mes has plenty of other tools to make you feel like you are contributing.”

Mesmer is in a similar (or opposite depending on how you look at it) boat as Necro…

Necro has pretty solid DPS and barely any group utility.

Mesmer has solid group utilities and abysmal DPS.

and what Mesmer would ever use Torch in PvE??? You do realize the blast on torch 4 is delayed 3 secs right AND is their only blast finisher? and the torch phantasm is completely worthless?

Yes i am aware. But its a free blast out of combat. Can be used even before the field is placed and still reliably combo with a field. Good mesmers will swap to torch immediately and cast the blast ready in advance for the smoke/lightning/fire field and immediately swap back to their usual weapons. Also mesmer is never really sitting there twiddling its thumbs because you need to be swapping utilities at every encounter so theres prep work to be done etc (mantra charging for example). Cant really say the same for necro at the moment.

Saying mesmer is in a similar but opposite position to necro is completely fallicious. Mesmers and soon chronomancers will be the best class in the game simply because of their utility. And their dps is not that bad (in perfect conditions its actually very high and will be higher now sword got buffed). Its reliant on phantasms and that has its weaknesses. But for a long time now its actually been fine despite that. Its recieved buffs. And we have better tools to keep phantasms alive.

So the “mesmer is bad” comments just put a red flag over your head saying “I have no clue about current PvE and am living in the past”.

(edited by spoj.9672)

Necro Changes!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Mikkel.8427

Mikkel.8427

“its a free blast out of combat”

Yay?

“mesmer is never really sitting there twiddling its thumbs because you need to be swapping utilities at every encounter so theres prep work to be done”

Ok… so you consider being kept busy a good thing… thats reasonable. How did you jump from “staying busy = good” to “staying busy = TOP TIER CLASS!!”?

And you’re also implying that you dont switch out your utilities on Necro depending on the situation…

“Mesmers and soon chronomancers will be the best class in the game simply because of their utility”

Yes, i said they have good utility…

“their dps is not that bad in perfect conditions”

Exactly… the only place those conditions exist are PvP target golems.

So, you just came to the exact same conclusion I posted…. Thanks for agree with me? (I think?)

“So the “mesmer is bad” comments”

I didnt say, or even imply that ‘mesmer is bad’… you came to that conclusion all by yourself. I was just pointing out it also has shortcomings in PvE. The only reason i pointed that out is because you compared it to Ele… You know… the class with top tier damage AND team support.

“I have no clue about current PvE and am living in the past”.

Someone suffers from some really severe profession bias… I believe your red flag would read “every other class is super awesome! only necro sucks!”

(edited by Mikkel.8427)

Necro Changes!

in Necromancer

spoj.9672

I didnt say necro sucks though. I implied mesmer is god tier. Because it is. I play mesmer at a high level. They are not comparable in the slightest. Ele/mesmer/warrior and thief are in a tier of their own. You would never see anyone in any top PvE guild saying mesmer is anything but amazing right now.

Try re-reading my post without taking certain lines out of context.

Necro Changes!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

What do you mean any more? We have no meaningful finishers on anything except minions right now. I’m not saying we should just Oprah-style give them to every ability, but we 100% need finishers sprinkled into our skills.

I’m not saying we don’t need more finishers. just blast finishers. Currently the primary reason that I’ve seen why people want blast finishers is because of pre-buffing in PvE. And the necromancer can already give a group half its might through blast finishers and bip.

Thats just a false presumption you have. The primary reason for blast finishers is not for fire fields. Its for interacting with any useful field in a useful way. That means smoke, lightning, water and of course fire as well. And blasting dark and poison fields could become a thing. So theres that too.

Its incredibly frustrating to be in an organised group when players are dropping fields like smoke/lighting and everyone can drop a blast or two to contribute. Except you, the necro, just sits there and thinks “Hmmm…. yep…. Maybe i can use a bone minio…. Nope. We are already moving on and my minion would have missed the field anyway….”. Its not a good feeling and its totally contradictory of group content where you should all be working together.

Its not false. I’ve played with those groups, they stand still to blast might. And while in combat I have zero issue blasting with my staff. Which is far more useful since its at range.

Necro Changes!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Axe 3 need a buff to have some group utility and defense.

axe 2 need its LoS rule adjusted.

Axe 1 need some kind of group heal from the damage or needed better damage. Either more utility to this or more damage. Otherwise its weak.

Necro Changes!

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

Prebuffing too I think is just a relic of how we’ve played that should probably go away in a normal circumstance. From what I understand its generally a DPS loss, almost certainly if you count the time spent prebuffing. It’s very quick to start the fight and buff in combat, and you don’t waste cooldowns in the process. There’s probably more nuance than that.

As an aside, I’m pretty sure anyone who prebuffs BIP is probably doing it wrong, if anything because the duration of the stacks is quite short. I’m not 100% sure on how might stacks overwrite each other, so any clarification would be welcome. I’m not 100% sure of the correct usage in combat, however, whether to open with it for dot damage, to wait a few seconds to refresh might stacks about to fall off, or to wait until stacks noticeably go down (by which point if you had opened with it it may have been coming off CD already). Like I said, I don’t fully understand the mechanics of stacking effects, the wiki article doesn’t go into overwriting effects of different durations.

You could finish the fight before the duration wore off. Again, I used to run level 50 fractals where in boomhunger we’d do just that. With Strength runes you can increase its duration pretty far. And if you’re taking curses having master of corruption to reduce its recharge to 20 seconds the normal 8 seconds doesn’t look so bad. I’m not saying it was “The best thing ever” But it worked just fine. Yes you want to do it later usually, because most the time blasting pre-fight is superfluous if you already have an ele who knows what they’re doing anyway.

Necro Changes!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Having a Blast finisher on Unholy Feast gives us the following using only Necro/Reaper skills:

AoE Retaliation (on top of the Retaliation you already get from the skill.
AoE Weakness
AoE Blind
AoE Chaos Armor
AoE Frost Armor.

All of those are very nice in-combat effects. Really, if Necros had better finishers, I would really work at using those combos in regular combat.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Necro Changes!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

To build on spoj’s point, blast finishers are simply the strongest finisher type in the game. I would also like other types of finishers, but we have nothing to really give us leap finishers on our base profession (Dark Path is the only choice), nor whirl. This leaves projectile and blast, and while I think we should get both, blast finishers are clearly superior in every way in every mode. Note that I primarily play PvP, so when I mention blasts I’m not even talking PvE or pre-buffing. Also blast >>>>> projectile for me, as MM loves the AoE effects of blasts (which further increases the skill cap).

Don’t get me wrong, I think things like Reaper’s Touch should be projectile finishers, but blasts just vastly out perform projectile finishers, and we have a lot of skills to fit blast.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

Necro Changes!

in Necromancer

Posted by: RashanDale.3609

RashanDale.3609

Most of them look great but i absolutely dislike the Axe change. Wouldve preferred it if they make it work as a 600 range weapon instead of just buffing the range.

Also, i really liked old feast of corruption; that was kinda interesting. all it needed were some better numbers. A suggestion about aoe-lifesteal has been made; that also wouldve been great.

Why does it have a cap now? why did they have to reduce the reward for using this on an enemy with many conditions?

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
Gunnar’s Hold

Necro Changes!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ara.4569

Ara.4569

Why does it have a cap now? why did they have to reduce the reward for using this on an enemy with many conditions?

Just wanted to add my top stupidest changes ever made to necromancer:
- Spectral Armor changed to make us better at 1v1 (really?!) and far far worse in team fights (really?!). If I recall correctly, ANet said they didn’t want us to have a mandatory skill. Well, then go butcher those Lightning Flash, Shadow Refuge, Blink… Hypocrites.
- Corrupt Boon limited to 5. Tell me how a single target corrupt on a 40 sec CD is too strong. Don’t forget to check how many boons are generated in average.

Balance team is a bunch of clowns, hurting the game to the full extent of their abilities.

(edited by Ara.4569)

Necro Changes!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

Probably because of plague signet. It has the potential for 7 conditions (5 transferred + 2 corrupted). It is also instant cast allowing it to be used during feast of corruption giving little to no counterplay for a sudden 9 stacks of torment condition bomb. That’s my theory about it, I’m not sure if I agree with it or oppose against it.

EverythingOP

Necro Changes!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

- Corrupt Boon limited to 5. Tell me how a single target corrupt on a 40 sec CD is too strong. Don’t forget to check how many boons are generated in average.

Well, it was a full corrupt if I recall correctly meaning it could not only remove all boons it could also apply up to 9 conditions. So I would consider it OP. The other thing that has to be reminded is the meta both necro and non-necro. This skill was in a time where doom sigil was a common thing if I recal correctly. Since poison stacks in duration this means that self infliction was not that severe. The necro meta consisted of consume conditions and no siphons meaning that the healing reduction was not a problem either. So in short the skill was OP and perceived stronger then it was due to the meta so it got a bit overnerfed. So I wouldn’t it the most stupidest change, just a small error.

EverythingOP

Necro Changes!

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

To build on spoj’s point, blast finishers are simply the strongest finisher type in the game. I would also like other types of finishers, but we have nothing to really give us leap finishers on our base profession (Dark Path is the only choice), nor whirl. This leaves projectile and blast, and while I think we should get both, blast finishers are clearly superior in every way in every mode. Note that I primarily play PvP, so when I mention blasts I’m not even talking PvE or pre-buffing. Also blast >>>>> projectile for me, as MM loves the AoE effects of blasts (which further increases the skill cap).

Don’t get me wrong, I think things like Reaper’s Touch should be projectile finishers, but blasts just vastly out perform projectile finishers, and we have a lot of skills to fit blast.

I disagree. I do not feel that blast finishers are the strongest finishers in the game. Leaps have far more self utility and whirls can far exceed them in both offensive and defensive capabilities.

Necro Changes!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

I disagree. I do not feel that blast finishers are the strongest finishers in the game. Leaps have far more self utility and whirls can far exceed them in both offensive and defensive capabilities.

I think the idea is:

• blast: team utility
  • leap: selfish utility
  • projectile: single enemy damage/debuff
  • whirl: AOE damage/debuff
    (note some fields swap the enemy and allies sides)

it is clear that the effects are not necessarily balanced. For example, AOE might is definitely strong, 1s burning on a projectile… not that much.

The nice thing though is that not all fields are better blasted, and in particular the necro’s field. Poison field: 3s weakness is not as good as whirling as a reaper into it and getting many stacks of poison. A 3s blind for blasting a dark field is often barely noticeable, but the leeching bolt (again whirling as a reaper) are potentially good sustain. I would say overall the reaper is balanced in terms of field/finishers. It does not have blast finishers because it does not fit in the “party buff” type but still has many whirl finishers which can be good in its own fields.

The main problem is core necro who has some fields but very few ways to activate them himself.

Necro Changes!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Well, it was a full corrupt if I recall correctly meaning it could not only remove all boons it could also apply up to 9 conditions. So I would consider it OP. The other thing that has to be reminded is the meta both necro and non-necro. This skill was in a time where doom sigil was a common thing if I recal correctly. Since poison stacks in duration this means that self infliction was not that severe. The necro meta consisted of consume conditions and no siphons meaning that the healing reduction was not a problem either. So in short the skill was OP and perceived stronger then it was due to the meta so it got a bit overnerfed. So I wouldn’t it the most stupidest change, just a small error.

Meanwhile, there’s Contemplation of Purity still affecting all conditions and with potential to make 9 conditions into 9 boons.

No, Corrupt Boon has to be reformed into pre-2013 patch state to ever compete with Signets/PoC now.

Back in the day Corrupt Boon functioned as perfect tool to heavily punish bad cooldown management of Eles/Guards.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

(edited by Rym.1469)

Necro Changes!

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

I think the idea is:

• blast: team utility
  • leap: selfish utility
  • projectile: single enemy damage/debuff
  • whirl: AOE damage/debuff
    (note some fields swap the enemy and allies sides)

it is clear that the effects are not necessarily balanced. For example, AOE might is definitely strong, 1s burning on a projectile… not that much.

The nice thing though is that not all fields are better blasted, and in particular the necro’s field. Poison field: 3s weakness is not as good as whirling as a reaper into it and getting many stacks of poison. A 3s blind for blasting a dark field is often barely noticeable, but the leeching bolt (again whirling as a reaper) are potentially good sustain. I would say overall the reaper is balanced in terms of field/finishers. It does not have blast finishers because it does not fit in the “party buff” type but still has many whirl finishers which can be good in its own fields.

The main problem is core necro who has some fields but very few ways to activate them himself.

the whirl in a lightning field actually trumps fire field in terms of increasing damage. And so does projectile finishers in lighting field. Since 1 for 1 vulnerability is stronger than might. Vuln requires you to be more active in your play style while might can be a bit more passive which makes sense why it would be stronger.

I’ve discussed this before about fire and water fields, explaining why they aren’t the best in the game just that they are most popular at the moment.

I’d also argue that a whirl finisher on a light field can save allies allot easier than a blast on a water field. Because the bolts will remove conditions and with multiple bolts you can strip allot of conditions from allies around it, stemming conditions that might otherwise have killed them even with a blasted water field.

Allot of the community doesn’t seem to test out the limits of their profession or even the combos in the game and that has left people’s views pretty skewed as to what is good and what isn’t without experimentation and critical thinking about what it is. I’ve been testing some of these tactics out with other fields because I had fallen into that category in the past as well and finding allot of utility in otherwise unused skills.

One issue I still have though is that leaching bolts do not heal you in shroud. Which is a major issue since I personally think that all life stealing should function in shroud.

Necro Changes!

in Necromancer

spoj.9672

Have you ever tried to use whirl in a light field to cleanse a group in a risky situation? I have. It doesnt work most of the time because whirl finishers procs go off in random directions.

I know you want to think your right and the entire rest of the community has no clue. But in reality i think its more likely that its the opposite. And you just have a warped perspective because you approach the game in a different way (a way most players wouldnt).

(edited by spoj.9672)