Necro/reaper PVE, should i bother?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Frank.3791

Frank.3791

If i plan on playing PVE mainly, should i even bother with necro? I enjoy the class, but, it seems that they just are not very useful to have in dungeons, fractals, or raids (that is if i bother with raids).

in Necromancer

Posted by: infrequentia.3465

infrequentia.3465

reapers are 1 of the best classes in fractals.

they should do just fine in raids to. sure there not the highest dps , but no1 really gets those super high numbers with all the dodging around

and in dungeons anything goes everyone that doesnt die is helpfull there and reapers are kings of not dieing

“If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried.”

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

reapers are suboptimal but if you play it on high level and minmax, you wont be a handicap to the team

in Necromancer

Posted by: Arzurag.7506

Arzurag.7506

Some might say, Yes, he´s good and worth a try,
other would deny that, No, don´t even bother, Necro is a mess in PVE.

Honest answer, try another class.

Walking’s good, fighting’s better, fcking’s best

in Necromancer

Posted by: Professor Sprout.1560

Professor Sprout.1560

If you like how the class plays, do bother with the necro. Reapers are great for soloing dungeons and strong in a group all the way up to the nightmare 100 fractal. I can’t speak for raids but that mode is sufficiently niche that I wouldn’t use it as the basis on which I might select my main class.

in Necromancer

Posted by: MisterG.3657

MisterG.3657

Sorry but I don’t fully understand your question but I’ll try to answer the best I can.

Necros are a very selfish class and the only direct team support offered is the Blood line with a little of health regen.

For this main reason it is not a class (usually) wanted in Organized/MinMax/Speed groups because other classes can do the same damage offering more buffs on the side.
If you play the Necro min maxing it (read playing meta as someone else told you to) you will at least provide some good damage.

Is Necro a class worth playing? It depends on your preference. I love playing Necro and I have 2 of them (too lazy to swap build/equips) one full condi the other full power. I also play in a guild that doesn’t care about meta so I am free to experiment with my class without anyone complaining.

At what level I’m playing my Necro? From solo open world up to T4 (we do not raid/we don’t care).
So yeah it is incredible what you can do with a Necro if no one is complaining.

So basically it comes down to:
- What you want to do;
- What your guild allows you to do;
- What way do you want to play the content (PUGS or organized)

So to answer you question: “Necro/reaper PVE, should i bother?”
My best answer would be: “I don’t know, should you?”

If you like it, yes play it. I you don’t don’t bother with it?
A more specific question will probably get better answers on the matter.

in Necromancer

Posted by: miguelsil.6324

miguelsil.6324

honestly its PVE you should play what you like and get in a guild non kittened that doesnt care about killing NPCS in the short amount of time possible.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Mavrip The Ripper.8623

Mavrip The Ripper.8623

Miguelsil gets it! Play what you want. I main reaper and its the funnest class to me. They definitely don’t put out the most dps, especially if your power… but in this game anything can be viable as long as you learn your cc’s, combos, and when to dodge.

in Necromancer

Posted by: vicious.5683

vicious.5683

nop
………..

in Necromancer

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Valks Minion Master….. one of the tankiest builds in the game. For open world, including HOT, its almost unkillable while maintaining respectable damage output. Access to some very strong CCs too.

Valks armor, Valk/Zerk Hybrid trinkets, Valk weapons. Death 3-3-3, Blood 3-3-2, Reaper 1-3-3. Rise!, Blood Fiend, Bone Fiend, Shadow Fiend, Flesh Golem, Axe/Focus, Great Sword.

I used this to get achievements for all the LS3 chapters, and pretty much only died to fall damage and messing up while soloing champs. In fact, the more targets in cleave range, the stronger it gets.

With some minor alterations, and dropping minions in favor of Soul Reaping, you can take it into raids as a flat DPS build. Condi is obvious better in that situation… but you can make due if the rest of the team comp is in good shape.

in Necromancer

Posted by: OnyX.9027

OnyX.9027

I came back playing after 3 year break and used a viper necro for just about everything (was using dire until I could afford to do ascended armor)

I am probably playing a sub-optimal build with questionable trait choices etc… but I am having a blast with it so who cares (it only open world afterall)

feel free to tear this build apart and tell me how bad it is as I have no idea how to find the “best” builds so go with what I felt was right

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNAR7YnM0Ad3gdbCO1As3gliBT6DEC6Ax9whYSMKAMA6WA-TRSBQBY4gA0Q1fa2RAAAPAA/t/wMVCuhLAQHV+1PdPBAOAM+4jP+4j3u7u7u7ubpAmUZF-e

Reservoir Shugo – Necro
Soul of Onyx – Guardian

in Necromancer

Posted by: narcx.3570

narcx.3570

If you like Reapers, go for it… They’re a reliable pick for fractals, in dungeons it doesn’t really matter as elite specs trivialize all of them, and they have a competitive dps benchmark for raids (if you can convince people to let you come since there IS a pretty big anti-necro stigma in the PUG Raid scene.)

But really, everything’s going to change in a few months when the expansion comes out anyways… So I wouldn’t worry too much about being the perfect meta class, because by the time you get all geared up and good, everything’s going to change anyways. Just play what you like…

in Necromancer

Posted by: FrostDraco.8306

FrostDraco.8306

Valks Minion Master….. one of the tankiest builds in the game. For open world, including HOT, its almost unkillable while maintaining respectable damage output. Access to some very strong CCs too.

Valks armor, Valk/Zerk Hybrid trinkets, Valk weapons. Death 3-3-3, Blood 3-3-2, Reaper 1-3-3. Rise!, Blood Fiend, Bone Fiend, Shadow Fiend, Flesh Golem, Axe/Focus, Great Sword.

I used this to get achievements for all the LS3 chapters, and pretty much only died to fall damage and messing up while soloing champs. In fact, the more targets in cleave range, the stronger it gets.

With some minor alterations, and dropping minions in favor of Soul Reaping, you can take it into raids as a flat DPS build. Condi is obvious better in that situation… but you can make due if the rest of the team comp is in good shape.

No. You drop Death magic AND blood for soul reaping and spite. Deathmagic is low dps and only serves as a minion/pvp spec these days.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

The necro is “weak” in PvE since ever, but with the reaper we get some good things that grant us to obtain good damage and high survavibility.
If you go condition, in a dungeon7raid/fractal you can’t use your combo Rs5+Rs4 to spam chill because your field should cover a more useful field as a firefield casted by a team member. But you can use a firefield to spam burn instead of chill and it’s damage is similar.

Your damage is not the top for shure and you don’t grant any support to your team, but you can spam vulnerability (still if a lot of other classes can do the same…) and are really hard to kill.

In fractal and raids the best skill you have is Epidemic. With a condi build that skill will grant you to use your allies conditions to spam insane AoE damage.
The only problem is that some boss can reflect your skill and you can die in 2 seconds with tons of conditions… But otherwise it’s an insanely strong skill. You will melt common mobs as the sun melt the snow.

If you like the gameplay, just play it and don’t think if it’s optimal, the best of all or other things, play only to have fun. That’s the best thing you can do.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Should you bother with necro/reaper in PvE?

Open world PvE : Altogether the necromancer shine in this area since there is not much that limit a necromancer in this game mode and reaper is very rewarding to play against mobs waves.

Dungeons : That is the “lost” mode of the game that the dev prefer to forsake. In this game mode the necromancer can contend for a suboptimal dps spot. Groups won’t favor you but you can still hold our own. You may even solo a few paths.

Fractals : Good grief, this gamemode have been designed for necromancers with mobs that produce boons so that you can finally find boons to corrupt. The necromancer innae survivability also make wonder here.

Raids : Sadly the necromancer is a little lacking for this gamemode. The supports tools that the necromancer have are not really in demand and the gimicks that could still grant him a spot tend to be “balanced” as soon as they start to shine.

Storyline : the necromancer’s innate survivability tend to ease your game experience. Still, one hit KO mechanisms make sure that you still have to learn how to dodge.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

Fractals : Good grief, this gamemode have been designed for necromancers with mobs that produce boons so that you can finally find boons to corrupt. The necromancer innae survivability also make wonder here.

are you kidding me? mesmer can corrupt boons just as well and necro doesnt have survivability AT ALL. zero blocks, evades, invulns, mobility, nothing.

edit: strip*

(edited by Sublimatio.6981)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sephylon.4938

Sephylon.4938

mesmers can’t corupt boons. They can strip them but they can’t turn them into condis. Additionally, the scripted nature of pve makes reapers lack blocks, evades, etc a non-factor especially when taking into account the necro’s ability to self-sustain with blood magic, parasitic contagion and/or blighter’s boon, improved defenses through death magic, and 2 hp bars and naturally high hp, or any combination of these factors. Basically, if you know your class, you’ll do well in pve.

in Necromancer

Posted by: narcx.3570

narcx.3570

mesmers can’t corupt boons. They can strip them but they can’t turn them into condis. Additionally, the scripted nature of pve makes reapers lack blocks, evades, etc a non-factor especially when taking into account the necro’s ability to self-sustain with blood magic, parasitic contagion and/or blighter’s boon, improved defenses through death magic, and 2 hp bars and naturally high hp, or any combination of these factors. Basically, if you know your class, you’ll do well in pve.

The real troll thing with Blood Magic’s sustain is that it sort of just gets canceled out by Social Awkwardness, so if you take a few big hits you hafta get away from your group for a bit to heal up. And most people get real mad when you’re away from the stack.