Necromancer Specialization Speculation.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

If the necro specialization could use life force to cast skills with support effects (i.e. Blood is Power becomes Bread is Power = Expend all life force to give allies might/fury/quickness based on amount spent) or summon minions (chance to summon jagged horror on hit at the cost of 10% life force per horror, or something) then Necro might actually be good in PvE content. They had lots of good support skills and minion stuff (their current minions are crap due to long CDs and low damage) in GW1.

Unfortunately, it looks like Revenants have the “spend stuff to get stuff” niche filled now so Necro is probably just straight SOL.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dhampyr.2813

Dhampyr.2813

Not entirely. Remember multi-classing from GW1. specialization might be an attempt to fill that role. So spend something to gain something could be a specialization that the necro gets, not saying it will be our first one but it could be one of them.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Shiki.7148

Shiki.7148

If the necro specialization could use life force to cast skills with support effects (i.e. Blood is Power becomes Bread is Power = Expend all life force to give allies might/fury/quickness based on amount spent) or summon minions (chance to summon jagged horror on hit at the cost of 10% life force per horror, or something) then Necro might actually be good in PvE content. They had lots of good support skills and minion stuff (their current minions are crap due to long CDs and low damage) in GW1.

Unfortunately, it looks like Revenants have the “spend stuff to get stuff” niche filled now so Necro is probably just straight SOL.

Well, the ressource is completely different though…And since they said they will spread “upkeep” skills over the specializations, too, there ought to be some that have a ressource of some description. Necro spec would be a prime “target” for getting an upkeep imho.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in Necromancer

Dhampyr.2813

Necro, Thief and probably Warrior would be the easiest to add upkeep skills to. Each of them have a resource that we could use. Hopefully they come up with a more creative way to do it then to just tack it on as a life force degen. After all we already have an upkeep skill, to maintain death shroud we pay upkeep in the form of life force.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

inb4 they call entering DS an upkeep skill

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: manveruppd.7601

manveruppd.7601

I wish they would if they’d remove the cooldown!

A bad necromancer always blames the corpse.

in Necromancer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Did anyone elses hopes rise a little when colin said this?

http://youtu.be/sG5oUKqbIVM?t=15m27s

Mine did and then i realised my idea of incredible skills probably doesnt mesh with anets ideas. :<

in Necromancer

Dhampyr.2813

Just food for thought. There are key binding options for a 5th profession skill (F5)
What is the chance we will get a specialization that deals with us having our death shroud skills outside of death shroud? So far its the only profession i can see easily getting the 5th skill in the form of ridding us of death shroud.

Not saying its a good idea but it makes sense to me that a(one) specialization deals with that. But for the one we get with HoT, it would need to tie in with the GS. Just not sure exactly what it will change on the necro.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

I highly doubt that. Losing DS is too big of a change for them to do it.

Chances are its simply a 5th shatter, or Rangers getting another pet button.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Gryph.8237

Gryph.8237

I posted this in the HOT forums and I’ll post it here. I still think the necro needs a lot of help with regard to defensive measures and a slight uptick in mobility. We bring nothing special to the game other than Gwen. We are not existent in pve scenarios and we are a minority In The meta pvp world. We can solo roam and do ok in small group wvw encounters but we suffer a lot do to a lack of mobility and the ability to mitigate focus fire. Essentially if a necro engages he/she either wins or dies as he can not disengage or run. No other class suffers these disadvantages. In addition our condi application is not as good as some classes and our power builds are lackluster. In addition our group utility is poo. All we really do well is strip boons. It’s such a dilapidated model compared to the upgrades and attention other classes have received. I still truly believe that the devs have no idea how to address the necros issues and do not interact with the necro community. Where was our day in the sun when we were supposed to get dedicated attention such as Rangers and ELEs received. And why should we have to rely on specialization to address our issues. Fix the base class first. Specs will just be a great sword with poorly designed skills as the necro remains the forgotten child

in Necromancer

Shiki.7148

I highly doubt that. Losing DS is too big of a change for them to do it.

Chances are its simply a 5th shatter, or Rangers getting another pet button.

Then i hope we get it as a ressource additionally to DS, if others just get an upgrade. Simple as that.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in Necromancer

Gryph.8237

I want to add on thing about my complaint above. I do not think we have a problem with damage etc, its more a problem with being cc’do to death or just simply being burst down because we don’t have a way to stave off a focus attack. Life force/ds is not enough unless you completely kitten your build and build all defensive. You can merely just last long but make no impact. Such an all or none class at times. Still it’s the only class I play as I’m good at it. So don’t touch our damage but maybe just up our defense and access to stability a little bit (traitable block upon entry to ds which allows us to get off a skill etc or maybe block a cc or try to gtfo. And maybe make ds#2 faster or ground targeted. Hahha

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Here are a few more speculative thoughts:

1. GS auto attack probably hits hard but slow and has cleave. Should be roughly equal to staff’s AA but trades piercing for cleave

2. GS will be a 2H weapon, which means slots 4 and 5 will be long cool down utilities. It makes sense that those utilities will do something completely different than war horn, focus, or dagger.

3. Think of skills that would make Necromancer more of a face-tanker than it already is like a blocking skill and a taunt

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

1. GS auto attack probably hits hard but slow and has cleave. Should be roughly equal to staff’s AA but trades piercing for cleave

If Marjory uses the skills we’ll be getting, the auto-chain is actually rather fast, taking 2.2 seconds to entirely cycle. Dagger auto takes 2.1 seconds, for reference.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

If Marjory uses the skills we’ll be getting, the auto-chain is actually rather fast, taking 2.2 seconds to entirely cycle. Dagger auto takes 2.1 seconds, for reference.

Her chain also applies a chill on the last AA which has about 50% uptime untraited.

in Necromancer

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Her chain also applies a chill on the last AA which has about 50% uptime untraited.

3rd hit of 4, actually.

I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Ragnar the Rock.3174

My personal hope is they see the design flaw in death shroud.

By this I mean that if you look at every other class & it’s damage mitigation abilities you will notice that they always reduce damage by a set %.
This makes them just as useful if facing multiple enemies or a single enemy.

Death shroud however simply acts as a second life bar, which makes it very powerful vs a single enemy, but much less so vs multiple enemies. On top of that life force degrades naturally while in death shroud & life force starts off at zero when you spawn.

If they would simply change death shroud to a flat % based damage mitigation & get rid of the decay over time of life force while in death shroud then death shroud could become balanced & possibly even allow for some healing effects while in death shroud.

Short of that however I’m hoping that death shroud gets some support tacked onto its abilities at base then has said support boosted via traits.
(I’m also hopeful that life steals/siphons get changed to work while inside death shroud)

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

Death Shroud reduces all direct damage taken by 50% so… it does.

The reason other professions do better is because they have multiple ways of reducing damage taken to nothing.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

spoj.9672

3rd hit of 4, actually.

Its probably only 3 hits. Its a very similar animation to rangers greatsword auto. I admit the spin does make it look like it double hits. But i doubt it actually will. Ofcourse it would be cool if it is the first 4 hit greatsword auto though.

(edited by spoj.9672)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

Death Shroud reduces all direct damage taken by 50% so… it does.

The reason other professions do better is because they have multiple ways of reducing damage taken to nothing.

• that can scale with multiple enemies.

I think that DS’s scaling is actually why necros rely on their teammates so much. You need to be able to be getting kills while you kite, and be sure to hold points while you rotate and hopefully use your sizable DS pool to overwhelm smaller fights.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

3rd hit of 4, actually.

Its probably only 3 hits. Its a very similar animation to rangers greatsword auto. I admit the spin does make it look like it double hits. But i doubt it actually will. Ofcourse it would be cool if it is the first 4 hit greatsword auto though.

In fact, in one of the LS chapter from season 2 Marjory say that rox is teaching her how to GS. So it will most likely end up in something really similar to ranger’s GS style.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Necromancer

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

3rd hit of 4, actually.

Listen carefully to the audio when Marjory attacks something. You hear 4 impacts.

I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: PrOGamer.8016

PrOGamer.8016

3rd hit of 4, actually.

Listen carefully to the audio when Marjory attacks something. You hear 4 impacts.

So, will the GS be a long range or short range weapon?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

3rd hit of 4, actually.

So, will the GS be a long range or short range weapon?

For pvp it has to be long range because short range will never be viable for a necro unless they give us blocks, blinds, vigor, prot, regen, etc etc etc.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

Its going to be short range.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tobias.8632

Tobias.8632

Its going to be short range.

Necro is already a melee class since dagger is the only viable dps weapon, are we going to have to fight INSIDE the mobs now?

in Necromancer

spoj.9672

Many classes have more than one melee weapon. :P

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

Locust Swarm and dagger AA are pretty much the only melee we have.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I think specializations will replace death shroud with 4 – 5 profession Fskills that cost life force to use, and among them, one will be the ability to summon many minions.

Look very carefully at the skills Marjory uses. I think they are heavily basing the Necromancer specialization off of Marjory. This means:

1. Summoning minions. (Marjory uses in many missions, particularly in boss missions)

2. Bone Bridge/Wall??? (Aerin boss instance)

3. Chill on autoattack (any instance with her sword)

4. An underground dash-type of attack (used while she wields her dagger)

in Necromancer

Roe.3679

I’m thinking that the specialization may lose minions, instead of getting more. Either way I really hope there aren’t more minions. AI has plenty of weaknesses and it’s hard to imagine more AI being a good use of the limited new skills we get.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sabre.8627

Sabre.8627

I’m just hoping the Greatsword functions similar to a Guardian’s greatsword.

1. skill- Decent damage (not more than dagger) cleaving auto attack with a little chill on it.
  2. skill- Very good bursting DPS attack with some sort of finisher on a low cooldown.
  3. skill- some kind of leap, charge, evade, or offensive teleport
  4. skill- A defensive/support utility. Maybe a blocking skill, stability skill, a boon granting support well, or possibly something that gives us an actual useful combo field.
  5. skill- Some kind of interrupt, probably taunt, maybe AOE?

in Necromancer

Gryph.8237

Yeah but my problem with another melee weapon is that we do not have the godkitten kittening defense to Handle melee like a warrior or guardian. It is going to be bad if we just get buttslammed around with a great sword just like with dagger. I cannot see how a greatsword is going to do anything positive but just be a better cleave weapon. I’m very skeptical and I have my doubts on how a melee weapon is going to be so useful on a light armor class with no defense and 2 dodges. How will this weapon address our defensive concerns. Seriously a lot of hype which will turn out to be lackluster compared to a heavy armor condi manipulator with stability and mobility. Do you really think the devs care? I hope it won’t just be a longer dagger that locks its use to power builds only. Boring

(edited by Gryph.8237)

in Necromancer

spoj.9672

People dont range in PvE. So the danger point is irrelevant.

in Necromancer

Gryph.8237

Ok spoj, I agree with what you’re saying but I don’t do much pve other than silverwastes for gear and matts. Pvp/wvw is more imp and I’m hoping the gs brings more than just another pwr weapon with some slapped on simple mobility skills like a leap. I can totally see anet doing that and Calling it done.

in Necromancer

Shiki.7148

I think specializations will replace death shroud with 4 – 5 profession Fskills that cost life force to use, and among them, one will be the ability to summon many minions.

Look very carefully at the skills Marjory uses. I think they are heavily basing the Necromancer specialization off of Marjory. This means:

1. Summoning minions. (Marjory uses in many missions, particularly in boss missions)

2. Bone Bridge/Wall??? (Aerin boss instance)

3. Chill on autoattack (any instance with her sword)

4. An underground dash-type of attack (used while she wields her dagger)

This would be glorious.

in Necromancer

Posted by: striker.3704

striker.3704

the basest core of the classes will remain, such as ranger pets and necro building life force. How these are used will probably be very different.

Death shroud is “enter a state that makes YOU tougher” so my guess will be “spend lifeforce to hinder things other than yourself”. A form of mana bar for using certain skills. potential skills include but aren’t limited too:
-A skill that summons jagged horrors
-A skill that applies AOE chill to a large area
-A skill for AOE cripple
-A skill that rips boons from an enemy giving them to you

Basically, I’m expecting a control focused set of skills that synergize with the greatsword which will likely be a damage oriented thing. The necro relies on “sustain” through death shroud to survive, and since we won’t get evasive skills or invulnerability, the only thing they can give the necro to keep this survivability is more control through hampering conditions.

I think if we give up anything, it will be the scepter. The dagger is really designed for a “life siphoning” type of build (hahaha) so we lack a true melee physical damage focused weapon. Condition builds also seem to be what are already considered solid, so I think Anet will want to use this to touch up the side of the necromancer we don’t see as having any options. Like wise I think we’ll lose the corruption trait line in exchange.

Another reason I believe this, is that Anet has always had a hard time dealing with balancing traits for condition vs physical DPS for the necromancer (see: dhuumfire) and by creating this divide it will be easier for them to accomplish this goal. This will also synergize with other lesser builds as well (AOE CC for keeping enemies in wells, keep enemies in place for minions, more direct damage for direct damage builds, ect) without synergizing with the already strong condition burst builds (imagine AOE CC on top of the AOE condition damage we can already do).

D/S/R necromancer F/A/T elementalist
S/I/F engineer Z/R/D guard

in Necromancer

Dadnir.5038

Little trip for specialization :

First, no more DS. DS skill goes on F1-5.

F1 Life blast : change to become a blast centered around the target. Coold down 10s.
F2 Darkpath : no change. LF cost : 10%
F3 Doom : no change. LF cost : 10%
F4 Life transfert : no change. LF cost 20%
F5 Tainted shakle : no change. LF cost 20%

Defensive mechanisms : Spectral skills are replaced by improved spectral skills giving a buff that transfert damage on LF pool.
Spectral armor : No change except damage transfert
Spectral walk : No change except damage transfert
Spectral wall : Change to pulse 1s protection and Xs vulnerability every second around the necromancer. Duration 5s.
Spectral grasp : Change to pull your foe to you and grant a buff that chill foe every second around the caster. Duration 5s.

Trait change :
Spite
Spitefull spirit : Grant retaliation on spectral skill use.
Reaper might : Grant might for each foe hitten while under the effect Life blast.
Dhuumfire : ICD removed.
Curse
Weakening shroud :
Furious demise : using a spectral skill grant fury.
Death magic
Shrouded removal : using a spectral skill remove 1 condition
Death shiver : constantly apply vulnerability to nearby foe when under the effect of a spectral skill.
Unholy Sanctuary : grant a permanent passive regeneration. Cast spectral wall if health fall under 10%.
Blood magic
Deathly invigoration : heal an area when using a spectral skill.
Unholy martyr : when using a spectral skill draw 1 condition from 5 nearby allies. Gain 5% LF for each condition drawn.
Soul reaping
Vital persistance : reduce DS skill cost by 20%
Speed of shadow : wielding a Greatsword grant an increased movement speed.
Unyelding blast : Life blast become a blast finisher. Cause vulnerability on foe hitten by life blast.
Near to death : reduce recharge on Greatsword skill. Greatsword critical hit grant vigor.
Foot in the grave : grant stability on spectral skill use.
Death perception : Increase critical hit chance while under the effect of a spectral skill.
Renewing blast : heal area around the target while using life blast.

Pro :
Life stealing may become viable.
Interesting for both power build and condition builds. Due to an easy access to DS skills.

Cons :
Little to no synergy with minions and wells skills.
Still very selfish boonwise.
Defense wise, this specialization would rely heavily on utility skills.

in Necromancer

Gryph.8237

F1 Life blast : change to become a blast centered around the target. Coold down 10s.

Defensive mechanisms : Spectral skills are replaced by improved spectral skills giving a buff that transfert damage on LF pool.
Spectral wall : Change to pulse 1s protection and Xs vulnerability every second around the necromancer. Duration 5s.
Spectral grasp : Change to pull your foe to you and grant a buff that chill foe every second around the caster. Duration 5s.

Trait change :
Spite
Reaper might : Grant might for each foe hitten while under the effect Life blast.
Curse
Weakening shroud :
Death magic
Death shiver : constantly apply vulnerability to nearby foe when under the effect of a spectral skill.
Unholy Sanctuary : grant a permanent passive regeneration. Cast spectral wall if health fall under 10%.
Blood magic
Unholy martyr : when using a spectral skill draw 1 condition from 5 nearby allies. Gain 5% LF for each condition drawn.
Soul reaping
Unyelding blast : Life blast become a blast finisher. Cause vulnerability on foe hitten by life blast.
Near to death : reduce recharge on Greatsword skill. Greatsword critical hit grant vigor.
Death perception : Increase critical hit chance while under the effect of a spectral skill.

Pro :
Interesting for both power build and condition builds. Due to an easy access to DS skills.

Cons :

Great. Without ds we die even faster. This is terrible

in Necromancer

Ragnar the Rock.3174

Trait change :
Spite
Curse
Weakening shroud :
Death magic
Blood magic
Soul reaping

Pro :

Cons :

Unless of course one of the F skills or greatsword skill becomes something that grants protection or damage mitigation.

If the necro had damage mitgation that was reliable outside of death shroud then I think it would be even more reliable for team fights, even if it lost death shroud.

I say this because death shroud blocks all healing you would get & life force generation can be unreliable due to people blocking/avoiding the things that generate it.

in Necromancer

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Mitigation isn’t a problem: we have ample access to Protection if we want it. Attack negation is.

I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Gryph.8237

Without ds we would drop twice as fast and we no way to soak or mitigate damage without ds. We have no mobility as well and no escapes. Essentially we would be in a terrible state without ds and these skill would do noting as we would be dead

in Necromancer

Ragnar the Rock.3174

Without ds we would drop twice as fast and we no way to soak or mitigate damage without ds. We have no mobility as well and no escapes. Essentially we would be in a terrible state without ds and these skill would do noting as we would be dead

Depends.

The specialization could easily stay alive without death shroud.

It would need some simple things like access to vigor, blocks (or absorbs) etc… as well as either mobility or more pulls/stuns etc…

Heck if done right it could be quite enjoyable & even survive better in group fight situations since death shroud blocks heals & becomes weaker the more enemies your facing,

in Necromancer

Gryph.8237

So in order to survive you think the devs are going to get ride of our core mechanic and give us mobility, blocks, and ways to mitigate damage and allow us to still do damage from ds based skills. Huh. I don’t agree, and it really sounds like guardian 2.0

in Necromancer

spoj.9672

You dont have to agree. This is a speculation thread.

Personally thats one idea for the specialisation i would be more than ok with.

in Necromancer

Ragnar the Rock.3174

So in order to survive you think the devs are going to get ride of our core mechanic and give us mobility, blocks, and ways to mitigate damage and allow us to still do damage from ds based skills. Huh. I don’t agree, and it really sounds like guardian 2.0

Guardian doesn’t have much in the way of mobility either BTW.

As for death shroud, I said they could easily remove it from the specialization but still have it work off of life force.

It would just use life force for these skills.

Then again some of these mechanics could be on the greatsword. Marj is being taught by Rox so it stands to reason necro greatsword could have a few similar mechanics to ranger greatsword, but with a different theme.

in Necromancer

Dadnir.5038

I should say that there is a whole lot of mitigation in what i suggested. Just it’s tied to trait and spectral skills. This is not terrible, it’s just like all other classes.

in Necromancer

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I should say that there is a whole lot of mitigation in what i suggested. Just it’s tied to trait and spectral skills. This is not terrible, it’s just like all other classes.

I don’t see any mitigation there aside from Protection. Also, with these suggestions, it forces a 3 Spectral build. You never want to make a profession reliant on a single skill type. Mesmers get a pass since every weapon set has at least two illusion generating skills.

So, yeah, we already have ample access to Protection if we want. It doesn’t solve our problems. Putting more emphasis on a boon we already get and removing the only damage soak ability we have is not helping survivability.

I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Roe.3679

I’m really hoping the specialization gets plenty of access to life force generation (assuming we are still using DS) as well as stability, and hopefully protection, blinds and weakness to mitigate damage. They could also give us traits that say, you can’t be crit while in DS or something like that.

I’m equally interested in how they might change necromancer as a base class as I am in what happens to the specialization.

in Necromancer

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Yeah I vote no to tons of F keys.., I’d have to completely redo all of my keybinds!

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in Necromancer

Dadnir.5038

I don’t see any mitigation there aside from Protection. Also, with these suggestions, it forces a 3 Spectral build. You never want to make a profession reliant on a single skill type. Mesmers get a pass since every weapon set has at least two illusion generating skills.

So, yeah, we already have ample access to Protection if we want. It doesn’t solve our problems. Putting more emphasis on a boon we already get and removing the only damage soak ability we have is not helping survivability.

I don’t understand, you want a new profession? I’m suggesting a specialisation not a new profession. And well, I did give some vigor access tied to the greatsword. Other then that I just slightly change spectrals skills. There ain’t more protection uptime. Except via a grand master trait… In death magic.

The thing is that with what I suggested, You just need at least one spectral skill to soak up damage. It’s like stances for warrior, or every invul skill in game but it only can suck a limited amount of damage tied to the LF you got.

Really nothing change a lot. Just the way to soak up damage ain’t tied to a transformation that lock you out of your own health pool. Every source of heal are available while under a spectral skill.