Necromancer in tPVP - My favorite class

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kryshade.6075

Kryshade.6075

I understand that a lot of people are upset that the Necro class has so many bugged traits/issues etc, but what I don’t understand are those that say this class is lacking compared to other classes.

What I love about this class is that so many people under-estimate it. There is a nice synergy between our skills and our weapons and a slew of different ways to play the class all of which can be very viable in the tPvP setting.

I think what sets us apart from other classes is that I have yet to find a class that is a hard counter to my Necro. With a well balanced build I never go “Oh crap, here comes x class, I’m screwed”.

We have the largest health pool of any class and the DS mechanic in my opinion is a great class skill. What other class has a fear, a teleport, an AOE damage skill and a hard hitting single target skill all in one without spending any trait points? Not to mention the entirely additional pool of life it gives you.

I’m not trying to brag by anymeans as I certainly have a lot to learn, but in my opinion, this class when played right can be absolutely brutal.

I’m rank 27, have played just about every build of every class out there and honestly haven’t found a build/class more well rounded and effective in a tPvP setting than my Necro.

My biggest piece of advice would be to try a balanced build in this class. We can have burst, and we can have tankiness but honestly other classes do that much better, however, I have yet to find/play a class that can be as well rounded as we can.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dibrom.6408

Dibrom.6408

We have the largest health pool of any class and the DS mechanic in my opinion is a great class skill. What other class has a fear, a teleport, an AOE damage skill and a hard hitting single target skill all in one without spending any trait points?

A thief. All in the same skill :p

Arenanet: The paragon of truth.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

Ok you obviously didnt play every build of every class… hell even the troll “Garen” warrior build (that i personally love to deaht since its epic fun in PvE) that is pretty much a one off gives you a better and more precise kit for any role except bunkering… and in terms of that why bother with necro or engie if you are really that much into pvp if you can roll guardian for bunkering (sure its much less fun to just kitten in a bubble with all boons up pretty much 90% of combat time, but pvp aint that much about fun even with a full 5 man setup in most cases).

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

in Necromancer

Posted by: KTKTKT.1853

KTKTKT.1853

andele the guardian bunker spec is by no means superior to the necro bunker spec i use shamans amulet with a clerics gem and the 6 piece undead rune set with healing per kill increase on my staff and freeze/bleed on my scepter/dagger i trait into wells apply protection and the reduced cd on wells plus death shroud stability my well when i have 25 stacks of heal increase does 6.2k healing over 10 secs plus gives 3 secs of protection to everyone my guild had our guardian bunker spec to dmg because i actually lasted just as long as him and all of my wells gave a better overall benefit seeing as how they cant be dispelled (their benefits that is) so i agree with kryshade 100% and i do think there is a lot of l2p issues

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kryshade.6075

Kryshade.6075

I think you guys missed my point. I specifically stated that other classes have better burst (thief, I play a nasty backstab build), better survivability (I play a bunker guardian) etc. My point was that I don’t feel any other class has the ability to not be countered by another class like the Necro does. We excel at having a balanced build that can do an awful lot and provide both great damage and great survivability at the same time. I’d say an Engineer would be the next closest thing but they don’t really have a great melee option like Necros’ do.

Also, if you read what I wrote, I said I played “just about” every build for every class. I would think people would equate that to the most common/popular builds for each class.

I’m not bragging, I’m not crying, I’m simply saying that I don’t think there are any other classes out there that can blend both damage and survivability while bringing some much needed tPvP options like a Necro can.

A nice side effect of this is, I fear no particular class like a lot of the popular classes do (bunker, spike, etc all seem to have a particular counter whereas a balanced Necro does not).

in Necromancer

Posted by: Mammoth.1975

Mammoth.1975

Engineer is the only class I feel I can’t beat. Elementalist is a tough fight, everything else I’m confident of winning as soon as I see them. Can you post up your build if it’s good against engis?

If you’re not playing to win, don’t complain when you lose.

in Necromancer

Andele.1306

andele the guardian bunker spec is by no means superior to the necro bunker spec i use shamans amulet with a clerics gem and the 6 piece undead rune set with healing per kill increase on my staff and freeze/bleed on my scepter/dagger i trait into wells apply protection and the reduced cd on wells plus death shroud stability my well when i have 25 stacks of heal increase does 6.2k healing over 10 secs plus gives 3 secs of protection to everyone my guild had our guardian bunker spec to dmg because i actually lasted just as long as him and all of my wells gave a better overall benefit seeing as how they cant be dispelled (their benefits that is) so i agree with kryshade 100% and i do think there is a lot of l2p issues

Maybe true on the durability part, but guardians are pretty much both solo and group orientated at once, while a necro kinda overspecializes into a single aspect and drains utility from others (you cannot viably go for both high damage from conditions, 29k hp and at least 2.5k armor while still having the healing power required for when you get outnumbered, while guardians can with reverse hp/armor setup, you know since they are the polar opposite of us). Not saying that necro feels worse than playing guardians, quite the opposite, Melee necro> spin2win sword/axe warrior, D/D ele then Scepter/Focus mesemer are for me the most fun to play in terms of flow, just that you cant set a necro in a position that another class wouldnt do better in almost every situation except at this weird chill/weakness and aoe blind/poison orientated frontline disruptor (what is actually great to annoy the kitten out of mesmers thiefs and rangers).

(edited by Andele.1306)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Jackal.7432

Jackal.7432

What’s a hunter?

in Necromancer

Andele.1306

What’s a hunter?

Sorry, ment ranger, same kitten, green guys with bears that are mostly bots~

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lumines.3916

Lumines.3916

I started as a Necromancer when I played with some friends in tPvP, I then switched to Mesmer when I was playing the condition role. When they needed a point-defender, I swapped back to Necro to give it a run, it’s not terrible when you bunker down on one, but when I swapped to first an Engy then Guard for point holding is when I saw the difference.

Survivability and life-span aside, it’s much harder to neutralize or keep people off points as a Necromancer. Engineers have a reliable way to overcharge shot > net shot, Big o’ Bomb is great when the pressure is from numerous people. Bomb spamming also means as long as they’re trying to contest the point, they have very few areas to stand in that will leave them free of damage. All classes can blend survivability and damage at the same time, and the Engineer is no exception.

Marks recently got better when they fixed them with Greater Marks, but when they’re all on CD, you either have to swap, go into DS or deal with staff auto. Wells can be extremely good at proclaiming dominance over an area, but its CDs are longer in comparison to the abilities the other two classes use to deny areas.

Guardians are top bunkers for really good reasons. They kitten boons like lannisters kitten gold which your buddies love. You also have great ways to keep people off points with both the Shield and Hammer. Because of how retaliation is right now, it’s very easy to maintain a good level of damage while being extremely bulky. Rangers/Engineers popping Quickness and killing themselves is quite common. The fact that they also kitten light fields which is one of the more powerful effects AND can easily finish other combos makes them excel in team play. On my Necro, I would hesitate greatly to blast finish fields with Putrid Mark as the transfer is such a valuable CD.

Both classes also have an easier time stopping stomps, stomping others and what not. Stand Your Ground is easily one of the best skills in the game. The Engineer you can either Toss Elixir S, pop Elixir S, for resses toss elixir R, or Elixir U for fast stomp/resses. Our only source of stability is Dshroud, which also does not allow you stomp/res, so you must go in and cancel immediately AFTER investing 30 into SR to achieve a similar effect.

That being said, the Necromancer still has its merits, some of its utilities are one of a kind and I’ve had success with one in tPvP. However, this was always easier when the team was very much built with the Necromancer in mind. It’s not a bad class by any means, but some of its mechanics/bugs still holds it back compared to some of the other options you can run.