Necromancer or Elementalist?

in Necromancer

Posted by: insaneseagull.7063

insaneseagull.7063

The topic title is pretty self explanatory,I’m trying to decide on wether I’m going to lvl up a necro or an ele. I spend most of my game time in WvW and I’ve never really had any real affection for PVE in any game,it has always been about PVP for me.
Up until now I’ve only played the mesmer in WvW,mostly solo roaming.

So,what I’d like from this awesome community is to share your experiences with necros and eles in WvW. I think that by reading the WvW/class experiences from other players viewpoints will help me choose one of these two classes.

Hopefully this topic will not only be useful to me but also too others seeking guidance as well

Let the games begin! (y)

(I’ll post this in the Elementalist forum as well)

Attachments:

Server: Far Shiverpeaks
IGN: Sparkly Darkness/Sinh Verdandi/Got D Boons
Guild: Anime And Manga Club [AMC]

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Just see what you enjoy more and play that. The game is not “hardcore” enough for class choice to matter, and if you’ve played MMOs before, you will know that what is strong now will be useless a few months later, and then good again. Its all cyclical.

Just play what you like. Try them both out in sPvP to get a feel for level 80.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Xernth.8561

Xernth.8561

If you like roaming and the choices are Necro or Elementalist, I’d choose Mesmer.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bweaty.9187

Bweaty.9187

Ele’s got more group love, getting a big boost next patch.
Necro’s got sexyer looking spells.

in Necromancer

insaneseagull.7063

“The game is not “hardcore” enough for class choice to matter"

I’m not looking for best class I’m just in general looking for opinions on the two classes,how they play etc etc. The overall feel around it

Attachments:

in Necromancer

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Mesmer > Necro > Ele In terms of “Power” imo
Mesmer > Ele > Necro In terms of “fun” imo

in Necromancer

Posted by: Hype.8032

Hype.8032

Ele and engy have a very similar feel to me. I feel like i’m spamming skills with both those professions. Necro feels a little bit more calculated with skill use but it’s still less than thief and mesmer. I like Necro over Elementalist, less RSI at least

Tualek & F I Monk / Thief —-- Tk E / Engineer
Highest Solo Queue Rank Achieved: 40
Highest solo-join Team Queue Rank Achieved: 198

in Necromancer

Posted by: tattoohead.3217

tattoohead.3217

If you like roaming and the choices are Necro or Elementalist, I’d choose Mesmer.

lol well said

I play both Necromancer and Elementalist (and others) in my experiences Necromancer is easier to play and more forgiving when you mess up. I roam with my Terrormancer (or MM when im feeling quirky) and im able to !vx like a champ. On my Ele I usually stick with the zerg and drop Meteor Shower on the poor unsuspecting mob of baddies.

If you have no intrest in PvE go Necromancer they are fun. If you want to play PvE at all I would recommend Warrior “cough” I mean Elementalist (seriously my fingers just wrote Warrior even though my mind said ele… its true though)

in Necromancer

insaneseagull.7063

lol well said

On my Ele I usually stick with the zerg and drop Meteor Shower on the poor unsuspecting mob of baddies.

If you want to play PvE at all I would recommend Warrior “cough” I mean Elementalist (seriously my fingers just wrote Warrior even though my mind said ele… its true though)

-Are the eles less friendly when facing 1vx than the necro? Thought it was the other way around O.o
-and LOL

Attachments:

in Necromancer

Posted by: Xernth.8561

Xernth.8561

Ele’s tend to have better sustain and more ways to escape than Necro’s. Necro roaming builds are usually better at killing things.

in Necromancer

Posted by: tattoohead.3217

tattoohead.3217

Eles, even d/d are squishy and the d/d build is getting a slight nerf on dec 10th. I roam with s/d on my ele for the burst, its fun 1v1 but 1vx its game over. Necromancer just has so much HP and Deathshroud on top of all the control available its easy to survive. Maybe im just good at the class but i dont see the sustain issues that others do.

Only class i hate on my necro are THFs and then most of them are scrubs so its no big deal, but when you fight a really good thf 1v1 you will know lol.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Spoj The Second.7680

Spoj The Second.7680

Ive found ele to be a lot of fun. Both are good in wvw though. If you do however decide to venture into pve I would pick an ele. Eles are much more useful in groups and in pve in general.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Necro is really fun and has really good flavour in this game imo. Also as you get better at necro then you learn how to really control almost every engagement and just generally destroy anyone who isn’t good at the game.

Surviving as a necro takes skill as you cant just spam dodges by instead need look for things to evade. But the damage part of a necro is usually pretty easy to do “ok”

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Heartlust.6140

Heartlust.6140

Elementalist. As of right now, the necro is in a dire spot. Probably at the bottom of the list coupled with thieves. Elementalists have great mobility, fair damage and ways of supporting your party.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

For roaming take the elementalist, as mobility or disengage is king in roaming wvw. And necros suck at both… While you can roam with necros, it is for that reasons much harder. For ZvZ or GvG both are good more or less.

in Necromancer

insaneseagull.7063

Reading the posts it seems that the ele gives a more challenging gameplay due to the attunement swapping and the relatively high skillcap which is required to do “ok” in the game.
The necro seems more like a laid back class,not very challenging since it’s very condition centered,letting the dmg just roll on without you being very active.

And I’m not going to play a class/build which focuses alot on conditions since the gameplay is imo boring,I tried this meta condition mesmer build/PU and it was great at first just hiding in stealth waiting for the enemy to die by your conditions but after a while it just got really boring. So I guess I’ll end up with the ele Thanks for the replies

Attachments:

in Necromancer

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Its only a challenge due to how little they damage. Forced to go into Vit traits and gear to counter the fact they have insanely low health.

in Necromancer

insaneseagull.7063

Its only a challenge due to how little they damage. Forced to go into Vit traits and gear to counter the fact they have insanely low health.

Well,isn’t a challenge a challenge no matter what it comes from?

Attachments:

in Necromancer

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Well,isn’t a challenge a challenge no matter what it comes from?

True, just wanted to make sure you know WHY its a challenge. Dont get me wrong D/D ele is ALOT of fun even after the nerfs, nerfs and even more nerfs. They you could say are the opposite of Necro:

Necro: Alot of health, cant escape
Ele: Little health, can escape

The problem with Ele is, that Anet (imo) wanted them to be sort of a Magic Thief class – in that they have loads of burst but little health that wasnt the best idea due to all the healing and defense options they have and rather than fix what was wrong Anet decided to go down “Anet Avenue” and decided to nerf all the burst and damage but then decided not to adjust the health. So now they are a weak Thief with very little health…

in Necromancer

Posted by: Heithinn.6508

Heithinn.6508

I’ve played around with both… It’s a tough call. I would have to say Necro by a small margin.
I’m stacking my Ele in Celestial gear (Curse you Charged Quartz Crystals!) with a 10/10/10/30/10 Dagger/Focus Cantrip build. I did this to make it so my attunement really can change my whole situation as they are ment to – Fire for high damage and condition Damage, Water for healing, Vulnerability and CC, Air for Crit damage and more CC, Earth to prevent incoming damage and bleed foes. http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fEQQJAodhEmibyR4gjFAkHn4CLhCKMKEiowDlCzA-jgCBoeBkIAkKAI5rIaslhFRjV3LyqFYqWA6WJ1zrIa1SBExwI-e Well rounded, with damage and survivability.

Then there’s my Necro <3
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fQUQRBHhhu1IhWtermpG9eiQSR0o20DvBuwBpw9SD-jwxAYuBRzMGEdisIasF3ioxqWw0rER1+kioVLFwoCjA-e Me and my army of pets… Critting, CCing and stealing your life with automatic condition removal :-)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Go for the class u enjoy playing more…
But mobility is king in roaming wvw->ele might be the better choice

And as necros you dont have a good way of stoping enemies from running away, atleast if they know their class and arent a necro.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

I have both and would personally recommend necro and I even run a full zerk power build right now in wvw and it hasn’t bored me yet.

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140