Necros actually useless in raids?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bysvyken.6235

Bysvyken.6235

Except if you take decimate defenses you can stack a lot of vitality, with 0 loss to DPS (in fact you can gain DPS with certain runes/food).
Except if you’re a reaper and gain a passive 10% damage reduction from chilled foes.
Except if you take blighters boon to heal as you facetank.
Except if you take Rise! for a 50% damage reduction whilst you’re all up in Axemaster Hareth’s face screaming “BWOOOOAH”.

All context sensitive of course, but being able to facetank and not suffer so much DPS downtime can feel pretty good at times

in Necromancer

Posted by: Darwec.3784

Darwec.3784

Except if you take decimate defenses you can stack a lot of vitality, with 0 loss to DPS (in fact you can gain DPS with certain runes/food).
Except if you’re a reaper and gain a passive 10% damage reduction from chilled foes.
Except if you take blighters boon to heal as you facetank.
Except if you take Rise! for a 50% damage reduction whilst you’re all up in Axemaster Hareth’s face screaming “BWOOOOAH”.

All context sensitive of course, but being able to facetank and not suffer so much DPS downtime can feel pretty good at times

Except, if you do any of those things, except MAYBE the first one, you lose a lot of dps. You should take vipers if your condi. you should never take blighters boon, the other two options are better. except rise is an awful utility unless you’re actively trying to tank and even then its not very good. None of these options are amazing for pve where DPS is greater than survivability. Survivability is not hard to achieve in this game. Although the Berserker gear meta is dead, the DPS meta lives on.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ophidia Moonstone.2587

Ophidia Moonstone.2587

I am new to this game. I picked this class because it looked like it would be fun to pay. I do not have any baggage towards this class such as you described others having (perhaps including yourself?). I will grant you, before I got elite specializations I was slow, took a long time to kill things, and that was okay with me because I am into exploration, crafting, and events, etc. I do not care if I ever am competitive with other classes, I don’t care about the meta, I don’t care about elitism and dungeons, or PvP. This is just my view on things, if people didn’t want to play with me because of a reputation a certain class has, even though the expansion shifted things quite a bit in this game, I just wouldn’t give a kitten. I haven’t had a problem finding people to play with.

in Necromancer

Darwec.3784

I am new to this game. I picked this class because it looked like it would be fun to pay. I do not have any baggage towards this class such as you described others having (perhaps including yourself?). I will grant you, before I got elite specializations I was slow, took a long time to kill things, and that was okay with me because I am into exploration, crafting, and events, etc. I do not care if I ever am competitive with other classes, I don’t care about the meta, I don’t care about elitism and dungeons, or PvP. This is just my view on things, if people didn’t want to play with me because of a reputation a certain class has, even though the expansion shifted things quite a bit in this game, I just wouldn’t give a kitten. I haven’t had a problem finding people to play with.

I think this is a very different statement than what you made earlier. There is a difference between saying “I like necros because they can be built to have a play style that I, personally, enjoy” and saying “Necros are good in dungeons and provide good dps because they dont go down.” The first statement is all well and good, if you enjoy playing a tankier necro, you go right ahead and do that, more power two you. The second statement is false and built upon faulty logic.

As for necros not being good, thats also false. Necros, especially condi necros, got a huge boost in both DPS and utility and are now certainly a viable class, if not one of the better classes, in most game play styles. Of course, it will take ppl some time to get used to, and time to learn what builds work well in which situations because a lot of these changes are new.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

In my mind the Necro changes in HoT is just the best of the lot. It improved on almost everything about the class, AND made it more fun – for me, at least. Pretty rare to find so little to personally complain about, since well… in an mmo the classes are so central and complex you usually just dislike some stuff. Necro has the least of this for me.

in Necromancer

Posted by: jim.5041

jim.5041

I think this is a very different statement than what you made earlier. There is a difference between saying “I like necros because they can be built to have a play style that I, personally, enjoy” and saying “Necros are good in dungeons and provide good dps because they dont go down.” The first statement is all well and good, if you enjoy playing a tankier necro, you go right ahead and do that, more power two you. The second statement is false and built upon faulty logic.

As for necros not being good, thats also false. Necros, especially condi necros, got a huge boost in both DPS and utility and are now certainly a viable class, if not one of the better classes, in most game play styles. Of course, it will take ppl some time to get used to, and time to learn what builds work well in which situations because a lot of these changes are new.

I have some questions.

I have seen lots of people claiming that condi reaper have pretty good DPS compared to condi engineer or druid. But, when I try to run my condi reaper in Vale Guardian, I only get about 12k dps in green circle duties. And about 15k dps in Gorseval(including epidemic to clean adds).
As you can see above, an ele can do about 18k dps and it’s 20% more dps than reaper.

I currently use all exotic viper armor, ascended viper weapon, viper amulet, rabid back and sinister accessory and ring. Runes are 4 nightmare/ 2 trappers. It’s an cheaper alternative, though.

Here is the question:
If I upgrade my gear to optimal build(change the runes and get ascended viper armor), would I make comparable dps to ele(less than 10% difference)?
Reaper in Sabatha is incredible, yes. But there isn’t any video to prove that reaper have very good dps on Vale Guardian and Gorseval.

I know reaper is way beyond viable in any raid boss. In fact, any profession is viable. Even all exotic gear is viable in pro raid groups. The question is,however, “Is reaper really a good choice and can do good dps compared to other professions?”
I don’t want to play condi reaper just because I like it and it’s “OK”, but because it is a reasonable choice to pick up a condi reaper when the team have all the group utility.

I like condi reaper very very much and right now consider to invest all my ascended armor box on it. But I also have warrior, ele and chrono that need to be geared.
So, if condi reaper turns out to be not a good choice because lack of dps, then opening my ascended armor box for reaper would be pointless. People will be affected by meta anyway. If the meta says reaper is not good enough to earn a spot in raids, then it will be pretty hard to find a group to fight, especially in hard game mode like raids.

Another quick question, rune of thorns is superior than rune of the berserker?

Thank you for reading.

(edited by jim.5041)

in Necromancer

Darwec.3784

I have some questions.

I have seen lots of people claiming that condi reaper have pretty good DPS compared to condi engineer or druid. But, when I try to run my condi reaper in Vale Guardian, I only get about 12k dps in green circle duties. And about 15k dps in Gorseval(including epidemic to clean adds).
As you can see above, an ele can do about 18k dps and it’s 20% more dps than reaper.

I currently use all exotic viper armor, ascended viper weapon, viper amulet, rabid back and sinister accessory and ring. Runes are 4 nightmare/ 2 trappers. It’s an cheaper alternative, though.

Here is the question:
If I upgrade my gear to optimal build(change the runes and get ascended viper armor), would I make comparable dps to ele(less than 10% difference)?
Reaper in Sabatha is incredible, yes. But there isn’t any video to prove that reaper have very good dps on Vale Guardian and Gorseval.

I know reaper is way beyond viable in any raid boss. In fact, any profession is viable. Even all exotic gear is viable in pro raid groups. The question is,however, “Is reaper really a good choice and can do good dps compared to other professions?”
I don’t want to play condi reaper just because I like it and it’s “OK”, but because it is a reasonable choice to pick up a condi reaper when the team have all the group utility.

I like condi reaper very very much and right now consider to invest all my ascended armor box on it. But I also have warrior, ele and chrono that need to be geared.
So, if condi reaper turns out to be not a good choice because lack of dps, then opening my ascended armor box for reaper would be pointless. People will be affected by meta anyway. If the meta says reaper is not good enough to earn a spot in raids, then it will be pretty hard to find a group to fight, especially in hard game mode like raids.

Another quick question, rune of thorns is superior than rune of the berserker?

Thank you for reading.

First of all, i dislike video DPS numbers because they dont show a full fight average usually. I’ve been trying to logic out dps with a friend by spreadsheet/numbers but of course that has flaws too. In that, necros do about 14k dps optimally if you assume the jagged horrors die off naturally (17k if they survive forever) and eles do about 16k ish dps sustained against a small target, and likely close to the 20k’s against a larger target like gorseval (meaning, if you were fighting a target with infinite hp, not its spike, or over the course of a 6 minute fight). I…dont necessarily LIKE posting these numbers because they are LIKELY WRONG, but should be CLOSE ish?

That said, yes upgrading gear will provide some dps boost. Eles are pretty high dps at gorseval because hes a giant hit box, but with two necros, double epidemic adds about 1.5k dps to each necro. So can you close the full dps gap? No, maybe not, but you should get very close. But my point is more that they do good dps, they do bring utility. We shouldn’t play necros as if they are only good for surviving.

Also, I am fully convinced that condi warrior is way more dps than necros or even eles. BUT necros, mesmers, warriors, etc, all have a decent role in raids. Epidemic helps make the raid easier for everyone, and you’re bringing high dps. Warriors bring CC’s and immobilize, and again high dps. Mesmers bring alacrity and quickness, etc. So…in that case, pick whatever you want?

I have NO idea what rune of thorns is, so…sorry? In general, nightmare/trapper, nightmare/black diamond or berserker are the way you want to go.

(edited by Darwec.3784)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

Since HoT I’ve seen more necros in fractals than any other class. Reaper and dh everywhere

in Necromancer

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

Since HoT I’ve seen more necros in fractals than any other class. Reaper and dh everywhere

Reaper condition dps is so great, that it’s slightly lower than Engi’s “perfect rotation” (which is extremely tedious and complicated and narrow), but higher than anyone else.

But the vast versatility it can bring, from excessive CC to hard tank to damage reduction to condition spread to condition transfer is just too great to give-up. The rotation is also very simple yet flexible too!

Check this post if you don’t believe me:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3uyisk/condition_reaper_crazy_damage_potential/

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

ugh condi reaper so sad ;;
so useless ;;
so tanky ;;
DMG so low ;; http://i.imgur.com/dEAUvk4.gifv

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3uyisk/condition_reaper_crazy_damage_potential/?

#necrodrama2015

Based on your supplied video he does an average of 12-13k dps with 10s of burst that briefly tops 28k.

My ele does an average of 21k with bursts of nearly 40k dps.

Not entirely sure what your point is here? condition can do burst dps too with the right situation? If his group dps had been better (no reaper) they could have killed the add before sabetha got back and then he wouldn’t have even been able to do that with epidemic.

Overall not very impressed. People are too easily distracted by one or two large condition ticks and lose sight of the actual dps numbers over the fight. Another reason we need dps meters.

Try looking at it from the bigger picture. If a single necro can do that much damage consistently and burst that high occasionally. Then 2 necros with regular epidemic copies can create some very strong dps.

I was able to maintain 15k+ dps while doing the kiting role on Sabetha. That means i dont get quickness or alacrity and i often lack capped might. And i cant cast soul spiral unless its the champs or shes doing the fire wall. I was able to get 27k bleeds without epidemic the other day. It looked like it was because of a very convenient amount of jagged horrors getting healed and them all hitting the boss at the same time.

Epidemic has actually become a utility worth taking two necros for. And that will continue as long as future bosses have adds. Its just noone is really taking advantage of it because the top guilds have a shortage of necro players.

Either way its more than condi engi. Obviously condi tempest is pretty broken.

Correction, burning is pretty broken. Rest of tempest spec is pretty garbage from a holistic point of view. It’s a bit of an upgrade to vanilla staff ele on stationary, safe targets because of fire overload and that’s it.

The actual weaponset the elite spec was designed in mind with (dagger/warhorn) is absolute garbage. The Tempest traits are pretty terrible. It’s basically fire overload you’re taking tempest for.

I think Reaper is a far bigger upgrade on base necro than tempest is (although just like tempest reaper traits and shout utilities are pretty mediocre for pve).

It’s just that base necro is so bad that not even reaper can carry it to the hieght of ele/warrior/revenant.

But, hey, raids in GW2 were completed in a single day so it’s not like you’re dealing with actually hardcore content that requires stric optimized class compositions.

Necro is perfectly viable in raids, if a group is wiping it’s because the group is not executing the fight properly.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Pandabro.8743

Pandabro.8743

Where are you getting numbers like this? From what I understand the only “legit” dps meter (Which screenshots your combat log) doesn’t work well with condition damage because there’s too many small numbers.

I’m just curious if this is theoretical or if you have some hard proof that these numbers are accurate for the fight.