Need PvP advice for fighting Tempests.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

Hey guys, I need some help fighting tempests. Its still a learning experience, learning how to fight each new class, and currently I am stumped on tempest. One having to fight on point (that means holding the point so I dont have alot of room for avoiding things) I need to know the best way to deal with a tempest.

I PvP often and I am just now starting to hit alot of very tough tempests. I have no issue with other classes like dragon hunter or rev (unless they are really really good, but thats because they are probably better then me.) However tempest always wins the fight.

First, is this a known issue for necro?
Two how best to combat this or is this a fight in pvp I just shouldnt bother with.
Three, I need tips for when one runs onto a point that I have to hold till help gets there, how to deal with them.

Thanks!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Peixe.1804

Peixe.1804

If you are a condi damaged focussed necro, which it seems you are, Tempests are a very poor matchup because of Diamond Skin. If you run Viper amulet you can usually knock them down to 90% and have your condis do the rest. However if you are not running power on your amulet it is best to avoid this matchup if you can.
For when the Tempest is contesting your point with you on it and you cant drop it below 90% watch the minimap to see if any of your teammates is coming to help, if not it might be better to abandon the point and help somewhere else though that heavily depends on the situation.
Hope it helps

in Necromancer

Posted by: oscuro.9720

oscuro.9720

Like Peixe said for condi, it’s tough. However, power builds make fairly quick work of eles (at least for me). Using boon strips or condo transfers are usually good because soft CC is the death of an ele.

Protip: don’t run trough the fire lines, they kill u…unless ur gonna transfer it.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ravezaar.4951

Ravezaar.4951

hitting NCSY before entering RS rotation vs Ele,Scrapper,War or well boon-classes is something I enjoy alot. not being able to see"block" is satisfying

Underjordens Furste 80 Necro Piken-server
Servant of Dhuum

in Necromancer

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

If you fight a Tempest and have any kind of condi build (expecially Carrion or rabid) you really can’t kill a good tempest why you will never be able to deal damage or deal enough damage and conditions to make them unable to clean them all and turn back over the 90% of hp.
With viper is possible to kill one, but is really hard.
Someone sayd that can kill them while in Celestial, waiting for the moment they will go out of heals to stack conditions, but if the tempest is good in that time you will be already dead.

Actually only a direct damage build with a lot of corruption skills can kill a tempest.

in Necromancer

Posted by: PowerBottom.5796

PowerBottom.5796

If you use a somewhat defensive amu (like cele, soldier or sth like that) or a condi-dmg only amu, you’ll never ever beat a tempest and you won’t get a decap either. best you can hope for is holding the point, which is possible.

I don’t think viper or sth. will do much better against a good tempest. It’s simply the hardest MU for the necro and that’s IMHO okay.

What you can do is avoid this MU or call for a +1 or stay in teamfights agaist many eles. At least after the patch the MU against rev got much much better and if you build the necro right, it’s IMHO even heavily in the necros favour.

in Necromancer

Posted by: claytonmorby.3751

claytonmorby.3751

I’ve had success against tempest when I’m running dagger, the tempest can’t heal enough to keep up with damage. But yeah scepter is pretty much useless against em, and like others have said, rabid and carrion are gonna have a lot of trouble. Cele and viper give a much better chance.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nilots.1026

Nilots.1026

This is what works for me, I made it as a list to organize my thoughts a little, not to be a list making jerk:

1. Run a mixed dps Amulet, not just pure condi. Viper or Cele. I much prefer cele in the current meta, viper is too squishy.

1a. Signets. If you are not running a signet build then you are not competitive. Plain and simple.

2. Run Dagger

3. Use signet of vampirism early on in the fight right before a burst. SoV -> reaper 4 is a good combo, but you can blow your poison if you screw it up. SoV -> Warhorn 5 and dagger AA is good too. Don’t underestimate how much damage the SoV active can do. It gives an extra couple hundred damage per hit, so use things that hit very quickly because its only up for a short time.

4. If this goes right, you should get them below 90, hopefully closer to 80. This next step is critical: APPLY POISON AND CHILL. 33% healing reduction from poison is huge. Chill increases the cooldowns of all of their skills, which screws up ele tremendously. Landing these two is hugely important.

5. Then, cover the poison with other condis and burst the crap out of them. If all goes well you will be able to keep them below 90, at which point the fight becomes pretty easy. Corrupt important boons, CC when appropriate, and burst, burst, burst.

Good luck.

Edit: Also, in soul reaping – take death perception over dhuumfire while running cele. Helps a lot with physical dps.

(edited by Nilots.1026)

in Necromancer

Posted by: youlostthegame.8102

youlostthegame.8102

Long story short, if you’re condi using Rabid Amulet or Carrion Amulet, your build will not beat them (a good one) just go somewhere else.

in Necromancer

Posted by: youlostthegame.8102

youlostthegame.8102

Long story short, if you’re condi using Rabid Amulet or Carrion Amulet, your build will not beat them (a good one at least), just go somewhere else.

It isn’t like fighting other classes whist using a viable build (Condi Reaper) where you need to counter certain abilities and ranged them when this happens… Playing against an Elementalist using Diamond Skin you’d need to make changes to your build if you’re to beat them.