Nerf Corrupt Boon? Doesn't Work Half the Time

in Necromancer

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

The logic is baffling to me. Corrupt Boon is subject to some kind of hidden game laws such that it’s a total crap-shoot if it’s going to work. It seems like it only works if you are directly facing your target on completely level ground and your opponent doesn’t do anything odd like jump, run up a hill or sneeze.

It’s so inconsistent that, as much as I’d like to use it, I can’t rely on it. I only equip it for a lark.

Furthermore, it makes no sense that a utility that transforms all boons into conditions on a 40 second cooldown is considered overpowered, while a 6-piece rune bonus on a cooldown as low as 45 seconds allows a player to remove all conditions AND give all boons.

in con sis tent

in Necromancer

Posted by: Pandabro.8743

Pandabro.8743

It was quite strong before so I understand why it needed some adjustment, but I hate the fact that they made it more RNG dependent. It was the only reliable way to get stability off so we could actually use our control abilities, now it’s anybodies guess if the target has more than 5 boons. I’d rather it ONLY removed stability than be random about what it removed.

in Necromancer

Posted by: DrMatt.9408

DrMatt.9408

Engineer Elixir C converts ALL applied conditions into boons over a period of 5 seconds, No limit, no IC. Standard cooldown is 40 seconds, decreased to 32 seconds when traited, which it almost always is. And then you have the toolbelt skill that comes with it, aoe converting conditions on allies to boons. Thats inconsistent for you

in Necromancer

Posted by: Chesire.9043

Chesire.9043

CB was in no need of a nerf. You had to hope the stars aligned just right before it even worked.

It’s rather useless now in anything but a 1v1, and even the it depends on the class. Engi? Ele? Guardian? Forget it.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Iceflame.5024

Iceflame.5024

This is kind of funny, would only make sense if all similar abilities of the game get towned down to this standart of 5 conversions. If it’s not the case then this is a completely incompetent change. What are our tools to deal with that darn stability that blocks our terror damage? Well of corruption(the only good thing probably), corrupt boon that wasn’t working half the time(is a single target utility with a significant CD), spite 20 trait(good but triggers only when enemy HP reaches a certain point), focus spinal shivers with the supreme cast time of 1,25 seconds……. the minion 10% chance to remove a boon trait. Oh and ofc that lich form #5. Meh.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

Corrupt boon didn’t need a nerf before, but if it still ruined all boons on someone with all the new conditions they gave us, you could spread insane amounts of conditions with epidemic.

Realistically it just isn’t as strong against a guardian popping shouts and save yourselves. Otherwise it’ll still wipe 25 stacks of might or stability or protection or turn retal into confusion. How many times did you use it against someone with more than 5 boons? And how often of those times were those boons actually going to stay around for a few more seconds? It wasn’t a needed nerf but it’s necessary with the changes they made.

But you said it yourself, it hardly worked and now it only converts 5 boons instead of all. So don’t take it.

in Necromancer

Thedenofsin.7340

It needed a buff, not a nerf. It needed to be fixed to work consistently.

It was a bad change, and I’d like to know what the reasoning was behind the nerf.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Brando.1374

Brando.1374

this nerf is really disappointing to me.
but anything to keep guardians the top tank class i guess. guardian wars 2

Xxkakarot [GF] Good Fights
Dark Wizard Incar [GF] Good Fights
http://www.twitch.tv/xxkakarot

in Necromancer

Posted by: Pendragon.8735

Pendragon.8735

If the max number of boons that can be converted at a time is 5, which seems a standard number in this game, then there should also be no single skill that puts up more than 5 boons at once.

in Necromancer

Thedenofsin.7340

That seems logical. For your logic, ANet will perma-ban you!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bweaty.9187

Bweaty.9187

Waiting for the ‘pro players know what pixels of each map the skills don’t bug out on’

in Necromancer

Posted by: LastDay.3524

LastDay.3524

I’m guessing that it was nerfed along with Signet of Undeath because an insane number of Necros ran them in tournaments.
Maybe it’s to encourage a meta shift?
Or possibly to make the Boon strip on Axe and Focus more important.

Honestly though I would have rather seen Corrupt Boon dropped into just 3 or 4 Boons and getting a big cut in recharge time.

As it’s now Corrupt Boon is completely dependent on which Profession you are fighting.
Converting a bit of Might and a few seconds of Vigor on a Mesmer isn’t worth the 40 second cooldown whereas using it on a Guardian’s huge stack of boons usually is.

Benight[Edge]

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sad Rabbit.9174

Sad Rabbit.9174

The people at Anet really don’t like corruptions and really do love wells.

There’s two traits related to spectral skills, two traits for signets (merged so you get two for the price of one), four traits for wells, and nine(!) for minions. There’s one trait for corruptions and it’s just a generic cooldown reduction. Oh and by the way it’s now on the same tier as terror.

The patch saw major changes (buffs) for everything except corruptions. The lack of attention there is baffling. I guess you could say corruptions were ‘fine’ as they were but then why were wells buffed across the board? Wells were used at high levels in every aspect of necro gameplay. The best PvE dps builds used wells, tPvP necros used wells, and the best WvW necros used wells. Clearly, wells weren’t strong enough. They even gave wells a stun breaker to make sure you can fill all three utility slots with them. Now there’s only one subset of necro utilites that doesn’t have a stun breaker and it’s no surprise which one was left out in the cold.

The message is clear:

Stop.

Using.

Corruptions.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Batlav.6318

Batlav.6318

there are a lot of cleaners while necro stacking is not that fast as of some other classes
i have no idea why this was needed, the CD could be increased by 5-10 sec if they think it is too powerful.

Hope that it has atleast priority of which boons to convert or it will be usless if stability on the target remains for eg.

SFR

in Necromancer

Thedenofsin.7340

In tournaments Corrupt Boon tends to work better. I think this is because a lot of the fighting happens on nice level ground and there is something about the Corrupt Boon utility that fails on uneven surfaces.

Signet of Undeath was the Necromancer’s double-edged sword: blatantly overpowered, which is why every necromancer ran with it. It’s the reason necromancers would get assist trained, and, at the same time, the only reason why necromancers were brought into Tournament PvP.

Back on topic, CB fails entirely too frequently for it to get nerfed. It needs to be put back the way it was, given how inconsistently it behaves.

The nerf makes it downright useless. Now it may or may not work, but if it does it will only remove 5 boons. Most likely there is no precedence on what boons are removed. And it’s still on a 40 second cooldown. AND it still poisons the caster. AND it does terrible damage.

No longer worth it, which is sad because I always perceived that utility as truly class-defining – condition/boon manipulation and control.

If Corrupt Boon worked reliably AND didn’t self-poison AND had a boon removal priority AND Save Yourselves didn’t grant 7 boons AND the 6 pieces Rune of Lyssa proc, which grants all 9 boons, had a 120 second cooldown, then I could see this change being somewhat sensible.

Given this isn’t the case, I can’t possibly agree with the changes to Corrupt Boon.

Maybe if CB was reliable, had boon removal priority and increased the duration of corrupted boons by 25% for each boon still remaining on the opponent, then I’d be OK with reducing CB to 5 boons.

(edited by Thedenofsin.7340)