Nerfing Deathly Chill and Buffing Terror

in Necromancer

Posted by: Aktium.9506

Aktium.9506

So I was thingken about traits the other day and it hit me that in the average Carrion build in PvP you’ll be pulling about 800 damage from chill and I found myself comparing it to Terror and I realized Terror is bloody awful in comparison. Because perma-Chill is actually possible whereas perma-Fear, probably for the better, isn’t possible.

I think Terror needs a proper damage upgrade to really make Fear feel like some manner of burst condition like it did when conds were much weaker back in the day with Deathly Chill going back to how it was at the launch of HoT, with the damage only being 50% of what it is right now above 50% HP.

in Necromancer

Posted by: OlliX.1705

OlliX.1705

If you look at the power creep everywhere I really don’t think a nerf to Deathly Chill is warranted. I’d be all for buffing Terror though.

[qT] Necro main.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

Why do you need to nerf deathly chill for it though? The avarage carrion reaper doesn’t even run curses. So to have terror/deathly chill, you have to drop spite or soul reaping. In other words, you either sacrifice a lot of might which drastically lowers damage across the build or sacrifice burning on reaper shroud #1 and almost all defense. It’s just a trade-off from sustained damage or sustain for burst which is fair.

Ps: At base dethly chills only deals 615, the rest comes from spite.

EverythingOP

in Necromancer

Aktium.9506

Why do you need to nerf deathly chill for it though?

Because I can see condi burst spiralling out of control if there’s just buffs and no nerfs. I’d rather not have another dhuumfire where they nerf everything except the problem until they do nerf the problem while never reverting the other changes they made because of the problem in the first place leaving us worse off than we began.

(edited by Aktium.9506)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

Because I can see condi burst spiralling out of control if there’s just buffs and no nerfs. I’d rather not have another dhuumfire where they nerf everything except the problem until they do nerf the problem while never reverting the other changes they made because of the problem in the first place leaving us worse off than we began.

Burst out of control??? Have you seen other classes’ condi burst? Terror and deathly chill proc together at 1708 / second for 1 second a fear/chill combo, 2 seconds if 100% fear duration. Oh no the horror … . Also like I said before this burst comes at a price either a lower sustained damage or sustain.

EverythingOP

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zera.8907

Zera.8907

Uhh no. There’s no reason at all to nerf deathly chill at all! Condi burst? What? What?? yeah uhhh no. You must be in the wrong forum if you think we have over the top condi burst. Bye Felicia.

Blackgate: Zera Mithrandir- Reaper| Zera Targaryen-Mes|Zera Naharis – Ranger|

in Necromancer

Posted by: Quaman.9167

Quaman.9167

I feel like A-net should just put Deathly Chill back to what it was when the X-pack first came out.

Maybe instead of buffing terror, they just merge it with Fear of Death and make it a GM trait (replace Parasitic Contagion). If that happened, maybe terrormancer could be a thing again.

Im all for a few needed trait merges, but I hope they don’t give out too many direct buffs next balance patch. Mostly nerfing things next patch (mainly the elite specs and rev) is needed to stop the crazy power creep this game has going on. All just my opinion of course.

I like video games

in Necromancer

Aktium.9506

Burst out of control??? Have you seen other classes’ condi burst? Terror and deathly chill proc together at 1708 / second for 1 second a fear/chill combo, 2 seconds if 100% fear duration. Oh no the horror … . Also like I said before this burst comes at a price either a lower sustained damage or sustain.

Uhh no. There’s no reason at all to nerf deathly chill at all! Condi burst? What? What?? yeah uhhh no. You must be in the wrong forum if you think we have over the top condi burst. Bye Felicia.

This is assuming a hypothetical buff to Terror increasing its damage upwards of 200% or so. Besides, the only classes that can push out higher condi damage quickly are Warr and Engi, and they are utterly unable to do so in a realistic PvP situation unlike Necro.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

Terror is worthless, and it is in curses in a tough decision spot no less and needs another trait to make it somewhat worth it.

Then again…how many fears do you have? would you spam them for the sake of burst damage(negated by cleanse or stun break or a durability rune proc) or defense against burst or utility of preventing stomps/rezzes or stability?

chill is more reliable and has plenty of skills that apply it on a lower cooldown than fear.
terror needs to be a minor trait in curses at the very least.

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in Necromancer

Posted by: mzt.3270

mzt.3270

If anything either deathly chill needs to have slightly more damage. To get higher numbers necros have to give up a lot of sustain and as they have very little in defenses, the first rule should be for a necro to have hard hitting condie ticks from the go. Necros are actually no where engineer bursts with similar gear so they really should have more not less. As is said before as chill is more plentiful so is better to take advantage of that over fear

Happiness is finding an Omnomberry in your Grumble Cake

(edited by mzt.3270)

in Necromancer

Posted by: meow one twenty.4376

meow one twenty.4376

I agree with you, OP.

People who say burst isn’t out of control because other classes have more burst, everything needs a nerf. This is just a small one for us compared to what needs to be bigger ones for others classes.

Those who say we have low Condi compared to Engie/War, that’s a little silly because they have high Pve condi damage and are mostly useless in PvE. Deathly Chill is nearly the opposite (still a good little boost in PvE though).

Alright meow, where were we?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Curses need huge redesign and I’ve been saying it since Spec update. Terror is a relic of the past at this point – they obviously didn’t know what to do with it and Fear is probably worst hard CC avaliable right now. And we don’t even have that much access to it.

Buffing Terror and nerfing Deathly Chill wouldn’t make Reapers go for Curses. They would still go for Spite, SR, Reaper, Deathly Chill and Signets because it’s most universal and gives the best value. Reaper will be balanced around that one build.

They’re most likely happy that one build made it into PvP with success and won’t bother with fixing other traitlines at all till next E-spec comes out. Then they will nerf Reaper and balance around new Elite.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

(edited by Rym.1469)

in Necromancer

Posted by: EremiteAngel.9765

EremiteAngel.9765

This is the most unacceptable change. My build depends on chill as its main source of damage. you nerf chill damage, you nerf my build.
so, no.

Scourge Demo Weekend Roaming Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsby6rYkxS8

in Necromancer

Aktium.9506

Buffing Terror and nerfing Deathly Chill wouldn’t make Reapers go for Curses.

That depends on how much you buff Terror. There comes a point where something is just to good to pass up, the question is, how do we get Terror and to a larger degree Curses to that something.

This is the most unacceptable change. My build depends on chill as its main source of damage. you nerf chill damage, you nerf my build.
so, no.

That’s a terrible reason, lad.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Buffing Terror and nerfing Deathly Chill wouldn’t make Reapers go for Curses.

That depends on how much you buff Terror. There comes a point where something is just to good to pass up, the question is, how do we get Terror and to a larger degree Curses to that something.

That’s a terrible reason lad.

Making something “too good to pass up” is asinine because it forces builds that aren’t even built around it to run it. The only builds that should run curses are the builds that are build around curses, and Chill builds shouldn’t be forced to take curses just because some guy on the forums decided terror needs to mandatory.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in Necromancer

Posted by: meow one twenty.4376

meow one twenty.4376

If we had a way of gaining Might from Fear or Interrupts we could probably replace Spite with Curses on a few builds. Fear bonuses should probably all be consolidated into just Curses too.

Alright meow, where were we?

in Necromancer

Aktium.9506

Making something “too good to pass up” is asinine because it forces builds that aren’t even built around it to run it. The only builds that should run curses are the builds that are build around curses, and Chill builds shouldn’t be forced to take curses just because some guy on the forums decided terror needs to mandatory.

Ah but that’s the thing though. Deathly Chill is too good to pass up. Calling something a “Chill build” is quite moot as every condi reaper build already grabs it by default. Terror needs to be just as good a pick.

in Necromancer

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

The heck with Terror, don’t want.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

It’s difficult to compare a constant source of low damage to a burst source of higher damage. Without might, I believe Deathly Chill sits around 615 damage/tick on a Carrion build. If you go Terror, are you really just looking for the raw damage from the trait? Or are you looking for timed bursts of condition damage to throw an enemy off?

If you’re looking at the former, then maintaining 615 damage/sec Chill for even just 30 seconds in a fight results in 18450 damage. If you can apply 10 seconds of Fear in a 30 second fight, then, baseline, Terror will have to do 1845 damage/sec. But isn’t is absurd for a condition that CCs to also do that much damage? What happens when you stack Might?

If you’re talking about the latter, Deathly Chill doesn’t enter the equation, because it’s a different ability.

I don’t really think you should be comparing them. If Terror needs a buff, fine. But any amount of high damage while someone is CC’d is going to feel kickback. The damage will need to be balanced with its burst potential, considering it is also an interrupt and a CC, regardless of the fact that as a CC it has the most counters since it is also a condition.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in Necromancer

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

no one will grab terror when it is in curses that wont beat spite and in a spot where the two other traits are much superior

terror is a relic of the past now in its current form

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in Necromancer

Posted by: Salamander.2504

Salamander.2504

OP is correct that Deathly Chill needs a nerf. Its way OP, which makes it appear fine compared with the rest of the elite specs. But Deathly Chill and all of the elite specs need a nerf.

in Necromancer

Aktium.9506

If you go Terror, are you really just looking for the raw damage from the trait? Or are you looking for timed bursts of condition damage to throw an enemy off?

Both tbh fam. I’ve always been a power nec ever since launch and I miss my big numbers fam.

If you can apply 10 seconds of Fear in a 30 second fight, then, baseline, Terror will have to do 1845 damage/sec. But isn’t is absurd for a condition that CCs to also do that much damage? What happens when you stack Might?

Fun happens?

I don’t really think you should be comparing them. If Terror needs a buff, fine. But any amount of high damage while someone is CC’d is going to feel kickback. The damage will need to be balanced with its burst potential, considering it is also an interrupt and a CC, regardless of the fact that as a CC it has the most counters since it is also a condition.

So what if the buff isn’t raising the damage? What if Terror made Fear ticks steal boons from affected targets? Or corrupted them instead. That way you’re still getting some of the boonhate that’s solidifying SoS in the various metas.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Boon corruption is already in Curses Master in two forms.

Terror could siphon life.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Necromancer

Aktium.9506

It could do both.
Can’t have too much boon corruption.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Brokensunday.4098

Brokensunday.4098

how about make fear knock off all boons and prevent boons from being apply while it last, but not stability

in Necromancer

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Terror should replace target the weak, the other traits in curses are too important to take over some burst damage. The master minor is nice, but ultimately just a filler anyway. I think Parasitic Contagion should spread condis to nearby foes, like epidemic, but make it an active effect somehow. Since necro is the only one with such a mechanic, curses could see use in certain comps over spite.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

Path of Corruption should really be a minor trait for how little it does. Terror could be built like a grandmaster, but it is hugely lacking as it is right now. Because RS 2 spins in an enemy’s face for a long time before proccing, I would always choose Master of Corruption for the 20s cd Consume Conditions. Personally, I think it would be really cool if Corrupt Boon was a stun break, because then there wouldn’t be as much of a cost in using it over traited Plague Signet. But I’m getting off track. I don’t think Terror should be reduced to a minor, it should be revived as a playstyle, and by that I mean giving it an entire row of traits like Chill in Reaper.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

in Necromancer

Posted by: Odeezee.7362

Odeezee.7362

why make such stupid suggestions?
Condi for Necro is not even as good as other professions, but let’s nerf it because? i will never understand this utterly stupid mentality yet our condis require gimmicks and/or have much lower rates of application and/or higher ramp up. SMFH!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

snip

I could get behind terror having its own thing in curses, similar to chill in reaper. The thing is though necros condi burst is already pretty big so the needed terror buff would be tricky. Given anets track record for profession balance (necro in particular), I am far from optimistic.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE