New Necro looking for tips

in Necromancer

Posted by: Incantus.8960

Incantus.8960

So I’ve just made my new little joy, an Asura Necromancer..

Problem is, I have a hard time figuring out what weapon to level with, axe skill nr 2 seems to hit decently hard but when I look at traits it seems abit lackluster almost.

I was pondering daggers, as I plan to go reaper in the expansion so I tought maybe getting used to playing a melee would do me well..

Anyhow, any and all tips are very much so welcome

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

Since your necro is a low level, I’d like to reccomend being a human Necromancer because Reaper of Grenth has decent synergy with Necromancer, and our elites are lackluster (Plague is almost exclusively for stomping and running away).
Necromancer rule #1: Don’t use axe. Necromancer axe is the worst weapon in the game. For a power build, use Dagger/Warhorn. Dagger/Dagger has poor synergy on necro. If you want to D/D, try Elementalist. Exclusively buy gear that prioritizes power while leveling if you decide to use Dagger/Warhorn. You can also use Scepter/Dagger for conditions, but this will generally be less effective while leveling. For both setups, Staff is a good secondary weapon, but Axe/Focus may be better for a power build despite the utter mediocrity of Axe.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

in Necromancer

Posted by: Esorono.1039

Esorono.1039

I’d go Dagger/Warhorn and Staff. Don’t use axe, it is really, really terrible. As for tips, I would suggest getting Soul Reaping traitline first and go for a shroud build first, it’s pretty strong for a necromancer build. Also when you go into death shroud, remember to change to staff first, Life Blast gains much more power from it. The next traitline you’d want really depends on if you are feeling squishy or not. If so, I’d suggest going into blood, if not, spite.

Also if you want to use a minion build, remember to make sure all your minions are right next to you before you engage, or they will stand there like kitten s. You can also use spectral walk in jumping puzzles to reset if you screw up a hard jump. Just make sure you cast it before the jump. the recall can be used in midair. If you are in Blood Magic and want to trigger Blood Bond, I would suggest using Staff 2 followed by Dark Path or a dodge roll, blood is power is also good if you have that equipped.

Also, when leveling, feel free to use anything you want. No one can stop you in open world PvE, have fun with the profession and don’t take it too seriously, just build it the way you like it, and try out different play styles. I find myself playing with an axe every now and again just because I like a few axe skins. Try seeing how fast you can kill yourself with corruption skills, go bungee jumping off cliffs with spectral walk, see where you can go using the Flesh Wurm, go into death shroud and follow people while making “OooooOOOOoooOOOOooooOOOO…” sounds!

Playable Tengu please!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

Dagger mainhand is the only really good damage necro has.

The way I see it each weapon has a clear purpose:

Dagger: Damage
Scepter: Conditions
Staff: Utility and AoE
Axe: messing around/handicapping yourself (lol its bad)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Duleshna.7430

Duleshna.7430

The way I see it each weapon has a clear purpose:

Dagger: Damage
Scepter: Conditions
Staff: Utility and AoE
Axe: messing around/handicapping yourself (lol its bad)

Pretty much so. I would also add that
Staff = long range
Scepter/Axe = midrange
Dagger = close combat

The staff is focused of long ranged AoE with both damage and conditions. It’s an ok versitile weapon.
Scepter is all about conditions.
Axe is supposed to be a LF/Vulnerability type of weapon. It should work well with MM build. In theory, that is.
Dagger is for close combat damage. DPS weapon.

Current build – MM/Condition Necro: http://goo.gl/XSQmhj
Theoretical build – MM/Reaper (WIP): http://goo.gl/0Drlka

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kotte.2460

Kotte.2460

axe is good, i have no problem landing my skills. those who say axe ia bad, dont know how to use it correctly.

in Necromancer

Posted by: The Wizland.8435

The Wizland.8435

axe is good, i have no problem landing my skills. those who say axe ia bad, dont know how to use it correctly.

Axe has objectively less damage and utility than everything else. The only things that are good are the LF generation and #3 skill. That’s literally it. Landing the skills isn’t hard, it’s just that the skills do practically nothing.

Jesusmancer

in Necromancer

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

Axe has its uses in WvW zerg gameplay, it’s kind of a niche. But for PvE, solo roaming, and such, dagger is a better choice.

in Necromancer

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Dagger with focus and warhorn. Staff is good for things such as pvp/wvw/certain pve builds with deathshroud but overall dagger is the best.

Reasons for dagger supremacy:
1) It’s power based meaning your damage is instant, no ramp-up time which matters when leveling.
2) It’s the only weapon that has reliable cleave(2 targets but better than nothing). Staff marks are aoe but you need cleave on autoattack. Yes, staff pierces but you won’t get mobs in a nice line to benefit from that.
3) It attacks fast so you get a more normalized overall damage.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nyth.3492

Nyth.3492

I see a lot of advice based around lvl 80 party play, WvW or sPvP.

Dagger is the superior weapon damage wise, but the small range means that for general roaming it loses out a lot of potential. This is where the axe gains some terrain, because in those situations it can have the mob on 60-50% HP before you’d even be in range for a dagger attack. Especially since with non-AoE situations you can use Axe #2 on almost every mob.
Granted you can open with Staff and roll into D/X, but that doesn’t totally void axe.

Don’t get me wrong. I still think that axe is far inferior to dagger; but for leveling, the axe isn’t as horrible as people make it out to be. (Mostly based on their lvl 80 experiences).
Plus if you go minionmancer, the vulnerability does help somewhat.

(edited by Nyth.3492)