New to GW2 - Questions about Necros

in Necromancer

Posted by: clyde price.9278

clyde price.9278

Hi folks. I’m new to the GW2 fold. I started of as guardian up to lvl 19, but I wanted something else as an alt or just a change of pace. Necro sounds interesting. I have my necro up to 6 so I only have a beginners feel for it. Questions I have:

- Is my primary stat power? Or some I try some condition type stats?
- Best weapons for solo PvE leveling?
- Best weapons for WvW and PvP?
- Can i successfully go without pets? I don’t particularly like the way they look. Im not a SC zerg HAHA!
- I know this class is probably least liked as far as PvP/WvW, but what is the state of Necros for those? I hear necro is a selfish or self sufficient character, but I saw some healing and weakening abilities.
- Does the Necro roam well at least solo or with a group of 4?

I’m new, so sorry if my questions seem noob.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

For all professions, your primary stat is whatever you want it to be. You want to pick your skills and stats to synergize with each other. The only exception is Guardians and Condition damage, because they have only one damaging condition .

Best weapons for solo levelling are really anything. Axe (currently, we know it’s getting buffed in the next patch) is our weakest, though.

Best weapons are generally determined by your stat choices. If you go condition damage, you go scepter/dagger (or warhorn) and staff. Power, you have a bit more flexibility. Really, Staff is handy on any build, but it’s not very good as a main weapon IMO.

Easily! In fact, necro minions are probably the most unreliable part of the class. They do make levelling a breeze, though.

Actually, PvP/WvW are our strongest points. WvW currently has what is known as the GWEN meta, and Necros are the “N”

Necros roam very well with a group. I’d stay back from solo roaming until you’re really familiar with the class, though. The lack of escape ability will cause problems otherwise.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

Your going to want to build for as much healing power, vitality, and toughness as you can. As necros we don’t need power, precision, or condition damage as you will basically be a ping pong ball for your duration here on guild wars 2. So you definitely want to be the most durable ping pong ball you can be.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in Necromancer

clyde price.9278

SO, with the build being somewhat beefy, would I be building for conditions so I can last as long as I can and chip away?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Either Power or Condition damage is good. It’s just a matter of preference.

I’d say get some of each of a necro’s weapons and experiment with the weapon set possibilities. If you like using Axe or Dagger mainhand more, go with power. If you prefer Scepter or Staff, go condition damage.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

clyde price.9278

I’ll check them out. Thanks.

in Necromancer

Posted by: PrinceOfTheImpure.1508

PrinceOfTheImpure.1508

Hi Clyde,

Sounds like the same boat I’m in. I have a 27 warrior and am already getting bored watching him swing his sword around. I wanted a scrappy melee/ability toon and generally dislike “Rogue” classes ( or “rouges” as people seem to think they are called ) so went with Necro.

Have to say at lvl 12 I am really enjoying it.

I am having a blast with D/D and a staff in my back pocket. I tried D/F for a while and even S/D but settled on the D/D. I tried every combination long enough to enable every ability then played with the fifth and I would highly recommend it.

Like you I don’t appreciate the minions and have removed them from my build. I heard they were good for leveling so I kept reserving judgement. But after the bone minion died for the millionth time and the inability of the blood minion to heal itself got annoying and just went over to the wells as a place to start. Of course well of suffering is awesome and I really like Well of … ( the healing one) for events when Im trying to keep NPCs up.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Prince sounds like you had an issue that alot of early necros get into >.< on the minion perspective atleast. Using minions in GW2 isnt about “keeping htem alive as long as possible” as it is killing them in the most efficient way possible. The ones you mentioned blood fiend and bone minions are MEANT to be sacrificed hence there lower than average cooldowns and the nature of there deaths. The only ones that are really meant to live through a fight generally have a higher health pool. Those being bone fiend shadow fiend and flesh golem. Blood fiend Bone minions and Flesh Wurm are all about how there deaths and lifes can benefit you most.

Id reccomend giving htem another shot once you have more of them unlocked. for example I use Blood Fiend(or consume conditions as the fight warrants) bone minions bone fiend flesh wurm and flesh golem. In conjunction with hte death nova trait youl eventually get and dagger 5 you can keep weakness up permanently on almost any grp of mobs the game can throw at you. and tactical sacrifice of the blood fiend turns it into a MUCH better heal than most people give it credit for.

Ghost Yak

in Necromancer

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

Your minions will die a lot less once you have more of them, or how to put it… when they are one by one or just two they tend to be focused down. However, i prefer necro minionless focusing on the magic side instead so I totally get that desire, and i think it’s awesome that you can do this.

Focus OH is great but for sheer fun i think few sets in the game beat D/D Necro. I just love the feel of it for some reason.

in Necromancer

Posted by: PrinceOfTheImpure.1508

PrinceOfTheImpure.1508

lvl 25 now…

Thanks Shade, i noticed they do have purposeful deaths I just didnt think of them as the intention of the minion. I will have to keep that in mind and give them another try maybe once i get a tankish minion i can try a Staff minion build.

Same here Amethyst Im still using D/D and really like both the game play and the look/feel. I thought for a while about going over to a different offhand but the Deathly Swarm is great for practically eliminating the alpha of a spawn while Enfeebling blood does a great job of keeping all those newly weakened mobs on you with the bleeding ticks. And of course D/ is just great.

Im still playing with having a second loadout set up for particular situations. seems like something with focus as the offhand would increase survivability some more maybe tack axe on there for some quick lifeforce generation but right now its staff that I use in group events to through out a bunch of dark fields.

in Necromancer

Posted by: GreyWraith.8394

GreyWraith.8394

I don’t appreciate the minions and have removed them from my build. I heard they were good for leveling so I kept reserving judgement
….

A minion master doesn’t really shine until you have enough minions
& traits to make it work. The traits ‘Training of the Master’, ‘Flesh of the Master’ and ‘Minion Master’ make the playstyle viable imo.

End of the Dream by Evanescence
unofficial theme song of the Nightmare Court

in Necromancer

Posted by: Domzz.1260

Domzz.1260

Hi folks. I’m new to the GW2 fold. I started of as guardian up to lvl 19, but I wanted something else as an alt or just a change of pace. Necro sounds interesting. I have my necro up to 6 so I only have a beginners feel for it. Questions I have:

- Is my primary stat power? Or some I try some condition type stats?
- Best weapons for solo PvE leveling?
- Best weapons for WvW and PvP?
- Can i successfully go without pets? I don’t particularly like the way they look. Im not a SC zerg HAHA!
- I know this class is probably least liked as far as PvP/WvW, but what is the state of Necros for those? I hear necro is a selfish or self sufficient character, but I saw some healing and weakening abilities.
- Does the Necro roam well at least solo or with a group of 4?

I’m new, so sorry if my questions seem noob.

-in PvE, it’s power mostly. In PvP, you can go either way.
-I would say Axe + Focus on one set, Dagger + Warhorn on the other. If you like staff you can use that in place of either one of those — it provides you more AoE damage and control.
-For WvW and PvP it varies. If you are condi, they usually get Scepter + Dagger on one set, Staff on the other. If you are power, it changes a lot but you will see a lot of Dagger Mainhand and Axe Mainhand.
-Yes you can DEFINITELY successfully go without pets — especially with the new incoming updates!
-Necro is AMAZING in BOTH PvP and WvW — they are PRICELESS in WvW and in PvP I just watched the Tournament of Legends nearly EVERY team had a necro on it.
-I think the necro doesn’t roam as well as other classes — it’s better in a team.. in my opinion.