Null Field is better than all our Wells

in Necromancer

Posted by: Berullos.6928

Berullos.6928

I don’t play Mesmers but a friend of mine showed me this skill and I realized how ridiculous it is.

It is better than all of our wells combined.

Same cooldown as well of suffering/well of corruption. Sure it lacks actual damage but the sheer utility it can do is ludicrous. And most of the time if you’re a conditionmancer and you usually are, you got zero power unless you run carrion. And even then the pulses only do ~500-700 damage.

And if your enemies were dumb enough to stay in the field the whole 5 pulses they deserve to die.

So lets look at the actual ability.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Null_Field
-Tooltip says it lasts 7 seconds. Wiki says it lasts 5 seconds. Okay duration is the same.
-When you look at it, it says it removes ALL conditions and ALL boons.
-Doesn’t pulse, happens at the first time you drop it. Much easier to land.
-Gives Ethereal combo Field (confusion and chaos armor), arguably far superior to the Dark Fields we get.
-The recharge duration trait is located in the FIRST tier of their vitality/compassion line.
-Can be traited for longer duration, blinding and confusion

Lets look at our wells.
-5 pulses
-Well recharge is on the SECOND tier.
-Well of suffering grants damage (fairly good for power builds) and vulnerability (crap) for everything besides power builds.
-Well of corruption 5 pulses means only 5 boons converted and they aren’t going to stay in the field the whole time (usually)
-Well of darkness 5 Seconds of blindness which makes us immune to melee which is technically superior to Null Field

But the opportunity cost of getting Null Field compared to us getting Wells is so dramatically different trait wise.
- 10 point traits compared to 20 points for us.
- It does far more than any of our single wells.
- Could leave it untraited and it still beats the other utility Wells we have CD’s (Well of Power, Well of Darkness)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Actually null field pulses like our wells. 1 strip per tic.

So yeah, it’s basically our 2 wells combined on a 45 second cooldown.

Thing is it doesn’t convert like ours does, but that’s not that amazing imo, it’s a cute little effect.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lumines.3916

Lumines.3916

It’s ground target by default, to be somewhat comparable to it, a Necro must drop total of 40 trait pts, 20 in Curses/Blood Magic. One for Ground targeted wells and another to reduce the CD. Even then, it’d still be 48s, still a wee bit longer than if Null Field went untraited.

You should really only compare this to Power/Corruption but yea, it’s a much better skill. And has been discussed to death. iirc Duration for Null Field is between 3-5s actually in game but since it does its business all at once, it really does not matter.

in Necromancer

Knote.2904

Yeah that’s another huge point lol.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Berullos.6928

Berullos.6928

Does each pulse remove all boons and conditions?

And I didn’t realize its also ground targetable.

And my bad I didn’t notice it had been discussed to death.

in Necromancer

Knote.2904

I believe its 1 boon 1 condition per tic. Not a full dump.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dibrom.6408

Dibrom.6408

Edit:
Looks like it was nerfed to 2 per 2 seconds.

Arenanet: The paragon of truth.

(edited by Dibrom.6408)

in Necromancer

Posted by: riotnrrrd.9582

riotnrrrd.9582

I don’t play Mesmers but a friend of mine showed me this skill and I realized how ridiculous it is.

It is better than all of our wells combined.

Same cooldown as well of suffering/well of corruption. Sure it lacks actual damage but the sheer utility it can do is ludicrous. And most of the time if you’re a conditionmancer and you usually are, you got zero power unless you run carrion. And even then the pulses only do ~500-700 damage.

And if your enemies were dumb enough to stay in the field the whole 5 pulses they deserve to die.

So lets look at the actual ability.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Null_Field
-Tooltip says it lasts 7 seconds. Wiki says it lasts 5 seconds. Okay duration is the same.
-When you look at it, it says it removes ALL conditions and ALL boons.
-Doesn’t pulse, happens at the first time you drop it. Much easier to land.
-Gives Ethereal combo Field (confusion and chaos armor), arguably far superior to the Dark Fields we get.
-The recharge duration trait is located in the FIRST tier of their vitality/compassion line.
-Can be traited for longer duration, blinding and confusion

Lets look at our wells.
-5 pulses
-Well recharge is on the SECOND tier.
-Well of suffering grants damage (fairly good for power builds) and vulnerability (crap) for everything besides power builds.
-Well of corruption 5 pulses means only 5 boons converted and they aren’t going to stay in the field the whole time (usually)
-Well of darkness 5 Seconds of blindness which makes us immune to melee which is technically superior to Null Field

But the opportunity cost of getting Null Field compared to us getting Wells is so dramatically different trait wise.
- 10 point traits compared to 20 points for us.
- It does far more than any of our single wells.
- Could leave it untraited and it still beats the other utility Wells we have CD’s (Well of Power, Well of Darkness)

null fields the same as well of power just provides a different combo field

in Necromancer

Posted by: Mammoth.1975

Mammoth.1975

Conversion is not a ‘cute little effect’.
Null field – remove boons from enemies and remove conditions from allies
Well of power – grant boons to allies and remove conditions from allies
Well of corruption – remove boons from enemies and grant conditions to enemies

I honestly prefer the wells. Reversing what someone is trying to do is better than nullifying it. Failing sucks, backfiring is worse.

There would be one or two more ways to build a well necro if the recharge trait was first tier, and ground targetting by default would be nice, but they seem fairly even overall. Not that skill to skill comparisons are particularly helpful anyway.

If you’re not playing to win, don’t complain when you lose.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Teknobug.3782

Teknobug.3782

I have both a 80 mesmer and 80 necromancer, honestly I prefer wells over null field.

With null field you have to be in range and the enemy has to be in range.

With wells (especially if you pick up placement wells trait) you can drop one on your allies and drop one on the enemies without having to run up in range like you do with null field. This lets me and my team stay back when needed.

Yak’s Bend WvWvW’er [Mount Phoenix Imperials]
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 ram | Gigabyte R9 280X 3GB (14.2)
Win 8 Pro 64bit

in Necromancer

Posted by: Schnitter.9857

Schnitter.9857

I understand the point, but are two different mechanics like the upper guy said. While Null Field remove Condition and boons, our wells convert them. But i agree that an inferior CD at Wells would be excellent.