PVE Lifesteal Build now Viable??

in Necromancer

Posted by: BoycottBoredom.9431

BoycottBoredom.9431

I started in Beta with the idea of being a PvE lifestealing necro. It worked fine for soloing but wasn’t very efficient in groups. Just recently came back to the game and started other chars since necros seemed to be kinda useless in PvE… HOWEVER, with the new skills I’m hopeful that I can play my main again… Here’s my current build (build only, not runes or anything) I would love some help!!! Anxious to finally play GW2 as I imagined!!!

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-343Z;2IFJ0F4wJ-K0;9;469A;0237256146;9;1sV2DsV2Db0o

in Necromancer

Posted by: OlliX.1705

OlliX.1705

I’m running a life-steal build on my necro right now in PvE. I reckon it’s the most useful I can do while still playing necro.

Go with Berserker gear though, and Dagger+Warhorn. Get a Focus for 2nd set if you’re mainly going to stay out of Death Shroud, or take Staff in 2nd set if you’ll be camping Death Shoud.

[qT] Necro main.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

It really depends on your targets. I dont play much PvE, but to compare a recent WvW camp scenario I had, tier 1 + 5 veteran dredge. Thats about 12 NPCs if you count 2 dollys.

When I attack with my Warrior, I didnt even kill one mob before I embarassingly died.
When I attack with my Necro, I wellbombed the kitten out of them while regening so much HP I could simply facetank all mobs at once.

My Necro isnt even a DPS build (have 1600 toughness and 1400 vitality I believe). Full well siphon and bunker traits.

When I duod with a friend on the same build, the two of us could wipe a t3 camp in a single wellbomb.

So yeah… It should work perfectly fine in PvE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Aktium.9506

Aktium.9506

Drop the celestial stuff. Vampiric Presence doesn’t need any healing power whatsoever.

the two of us could wipe a t3 camp in a single wellbomb.

Before the removal of power scaling you could do that solo in under 8 seconds without breaking a sweat.

I miss power scaling

in Necromancer

Posted by: BoycottBoredom.9431

BoycottBoredom.9431

I understand my gear isn’t right… i didn’t even put mine in there …. I’m mostly asking about the traits and skills??? I will switch to warhorn as my off hand.

in Necromancer

Posted by: tboneking.2531

tboneking.2531

Depends what you’re doing and what your goal is. Dungeons rely on max dps so lifesteal itself isn’t that useful. In open pve maps trying to survive large groups of mobs? Maybe. I made a vampire necro using zealots armor and weapons and ascended zerker trinkets and it works very well. I am running a full signets build, the lifesteal works really well with healing power on the signets

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Dungeons rely on max dps so lifesteal itself isn’t that useful.

With traits no longer being tied to stats, which three trees give you max dps? Which skills?

Is not two wells a primary source of PvE dps, which mean you want blood magic… Which pretty much force you into full life siphoning?

in Necromancer

Posted by: tboneking.2531

tboneking.2531

Dungeons rely on max dps so lifesteal itself isn’t that useful.

With traits no longer being tied to stats, which three trees give you max dps? Which skills?

Is not two wells a primary source of PvE dps, which mean you want blood magic… Which pretty much force you into full life siphoning?

Yes, that is true. However I would not advertise it as a “lifesteal build” it just so happens that life stealing is a biproduct of what you choose.

in Necromancer

Posted by: met.9653

met.9653

I play mix zerker valk necro with blood magic siphons. In silver wastes I can solo fort event or every boss without problem. If I try do this with my glass cannon thief it won’t happen, 1error and teef is dead Dmg wise ofc necros are still crap but that survivability is awesome.

in Necromancer

Posted by: MattyP.6954

MattyP.6954

I run this (http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=V40;4IkI0G4-K-w2;9;497A;0256157246;4KZF4J;1wl6Uwl6UO0kTc6uWA0;1KeK9LeL9MeM97k0RN5a0e), and it has been really durable in the Silverwastes. I can usually survive in melee range against Copper, sitting on the gate during Fort Defense events, and going melee against Champs.

That being said, I’m pretty balanced between Death Shroud and not Death Shroud (though I mainly use it for a stunbreak). The build is focused on landing tons of little hits and triggering as many bleeds as possible (I get healed by the condi damage and it procs Vampiric Signet).

I have had some limited success with it in WvWvW, but that’s mainly with trolling groups and out-surviving them, not necessarily by doing damage or bursting anyone down.

Edit: I am brand new to necro, so if this build is completely stupid please let me know :-)

Server — Fort Aspenwood
Mains — Mathias of the Wood [Ranger]; Collaborator Bluatt [Engineer]
Alts — Necromancer, Warrior, Elementalist