PVP Greatsword Tips?

PVP Greatsword Tips?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lumines.3916

Lumines.3916

Been playing soldier signet reaper usually dagger/warhorn and it was really solid. Felt noticeably more vulnerable with the greatsword, anyone got tips?

PVP Greatsword Tips?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cell.6821

Cell.6821

For starter, can you link your current build? From there then you’ll get recommendations, etc.

PVP Greatsword Tips?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Iskandor.9415

Iskandor.9415

My recommendation: don’t.

So I don’t have to run into one of them EVERY GAME.

I wish I was kidding. Between them and the burn guardians I’m really, really loathe to go into the Mists right now.

Isquen – Ranger – Ferguson’s Crossing
Sabrina Norofski – Mesmer – Ferguson’s Crossing
Representing Elsendor Militia (who?)

PVP Greatsword Tips?

in Necromancer

Lumines.3916

My recommendation: don’t.

So I don’t have to run into one of them EVERY GAME.

I wish I was kidding. Between them and the burn guardians I’m really, really loathe to go into the Mists right now.

What class do you play and what do they do that is punishing?
Also I just ran the metabattle build http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Reaper_-_Strength_Soldier

PVP Greatsword Tips?

in Necromancer

Posted by: striker.3704

striker.3704

don’t use GS auto attack unless the enemy is focused on another player. I find most of the time when I try to rush someone down with the GS, they’ll just create distance from me regardless of the positioning it will put them in or what my other allies do. The auto attack basically spells death for someone as soon as you get the third hit off.

D/S/R necromancer F/A/T elementalist
S/I/F engineer Z/R/D guard

PVP Greatsword Tips?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anubris.8591

Anubris.8591

I found that you can cancel the third hit on the GS 1 auto chain by pressing esc or hitting the weapon sheathe button. In 1v1’s I try to cancel it at the last moment and hope my opponent wastes a dodge. Doing so puts it on a tiny cooldown, and you have a small time frame to execute the third hit again before the whole chain resets. I’ve found this technique somewhat helps land the third hit in 1v1’s when things aren’t too hectic. In group fights I just spam the chain and hope it lands – which it does occasionally.

This isn’t directly related to GS pvp, but if you haven’t, turn off auto target. Auto target really helps to land RS 2 (spinning copter attack thing), but makes it useless as an escape tool. When you are close to enemies and hit RS 2, auto target seems to select a nearby enemy and will make you dash towards him or her. Turning it off will allow you to control where you’re going.

I normally just click an empty spot on the screen to clear me of any target selection, and then hit RS 2 to dash away. I usually can do it at least twice before RS wears off, and if I still haven’t got away, I just use warhorn 5. I think you’ll find this helps survivability in pvp immensely.

(edited by Anubris.8591)

PVP Greatsword Tips?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Basically, don’t use GS in 1v1s, and don’t use GS AA. The weapon has pretty specific utility to it, and so you should mostly use it for its utility until you are ready to Gravedigger someone, and the AA is really only useful for filler if you can’t afford to shroud/swap.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

PVP Greatsword Tips?

in Necromancer

Lumines.3916

Ok, from the tips I got here and a little more in game experience, it seems like I have to camp staff more and use that for bulk of the LF generation. Shroud 2 for mobility and switch to GS only really for Nightfall, Pull or they on top of me for a gravedigger.

It slightly irks me I prefer dagger/horn to GS as I have some sick GS skins