Place for necro in PVE

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: lordhelmos.7623

lordhelmos.7623

Role is benchwarmer atm, unfortunately. The good news is that outside of dungeons you can farm loot from group events faster than almost any other class with your wells and life transfer.

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Sadly we only have anet to blame for this.

If you can group with friends and guildmates you shouldnt have a problem. But if you do decide to stay with the game and want to pug then I suggest lvling a new class. Ele would probably be the best choice. Or look for groups which have no requirements. Some of these groups will still blacklist you but thats something you shouldnt take personally and just move on.

(edited by spoj.9672)

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

spoj.9672

No worries. We have all experienced this. I went through various phases of false hope with each new balance patch. Ive since learnt not to care anymore and I just enjoy playing the other 7 classes instead.

The thing with the money you spent. You should be able to salvage most of it and use it for any other class. All the meta builds use berserker or assassin and scholar runes. So you as long as you can salvage your runes and sigils you should be able to recover most of the cost. And if you have ascended already, that is account bound so you can simply transfer it to a new class.

If you happened to use runes and sigils in karma gear then I truly feel your pain. Not being able to salvage those is frustrating. I had 60g worth of strength runes in a karma set which I had to destroy a while back. >.>

(edited by spoj.9672)

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

spoj.9672

Its true I havent updated my guide recently but it is for the most part still correct. The difference between berserker and assassins is minimal so your decision to choose power over precision is perfectly fine. I mentioned reasons for why going power is good, even if its not absolute optimal, on the dulfy version of my guide. In your more casual groups or if you are soloing/small group I would value precision over power. And for low level dungeons you are probably best off choosing a mix between both due to stat caps (recent discovery). But as someone just starting out I honestly wouldnt worry about it too much. With ele just go for full berserker.

Unfortunately you wont be able to do anything with your exotic gear other than salvage because its soulbound instead of accountbound. But you can atleast transfer over the amulet. With expensive runes I recommend using a Black Lion salvage kit on the exotics. If you dont have one then its up to you whether you take the risk or not.

For recommended class. Personally for me I like the versatility and damage ele offers. So that has pretty much become my new main. Im a sucker for spellcasters. I do enjoy playing other useful roles such as mesmer, guard and thief aswell. But when pugging you may find that those classes are already taken. People dont like to stack more than one of most class. The only exception is ele.

If you want a more support/defensive role then guardian might be for you. However ele can still fill some of that and is a very rewarding class to play once you get used to it.

(edited by spoj.9672)

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

spoj.9672

Fingers crossed for the future.

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: GoogleBrandon.5073

GoogleBrandon.5073

Two Necromancers here out of thirteen characters (over eight classes)

I would personally keep the gear you got currently on your Necro and get a casual group to do CoE daily – get some gear again, gold for runes and weapons, you should be done not too long…
Thing is, Zerk gear is also fine for some small group/solo roaming in WvWvW – so don’t get rid of it yet

Guild channel with PvP uploads
Lost? Confused? [TCS] – A guild for every state of body and mind

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

spoj.9672

2 necros out of 11 characters. The impulse that made me level a second necro is long forgotten lol. Its now a naked and unused character.

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: GoogleBrandon.5073

GoogleBrandon.5073

2 necros out of 11 characters. The impulse that made me level a second necro is long forgotten lol. Its now a naked and unused character.

I got mine outfitted with Clerics gear when I feel like rolling MM in WvWvW to kitten people off :P

Guild channel with PvP uploads
Lost? Confused? [TCS] – A guild for every state of body and mind

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vizardlorde.8243

Vizardlorde.8243

Hello everyone,

About 500 days ago I created my first character – a necromancer – and leveled him to Level 80 just a few weeks ago. Yes, I have not played guild wars 2 a lot. However, coming back to GW2 this time around the game got me hooked. I’m guilded, running dungeons and the whole lot. I have never been interested in PVP (and from what I’ve read you veterans dislike people like me, the PVE-ers, but seriously for PVP I’ll turn to FPS instead, sorry).

Now, after what seemed an eternity of grinding stupid and meaningless quests, jumping platforms for Vistas and running around like a mad man to find that POI, nobody wants to PVE with me. Everybody says necro is useless to PVE groups.

Honestly, I’m losing interest in the game completely, once again. It’s not fun to be unwanted in every aspect of this game.

So, what do you people think is necro’s place in PVE?

Honestly I’d say this is just terrible game design.

Necros are welcome in WVW and PVP. Anet made them incredibly selfish and detrimental to groups in dungeons which is why no one want’s them in PVE.
Their most groupfriendly utility is vulnerability which 80+% of other classes can provide.
Wells overwrite better combo fields for lifesteal and and blind .
Well of Power is extremely situational as you rarely encounter a situation where the whole party is overwhelmed by conditions.
Well of darkness does no damage on a long cooldown and a guardian with VoJ refreshed on kill can do a better job of blinding things.
Blast Finishers are hard to use/inconvenient the mark requiring to be triggered, bone minions need to stand in the right spot, wurm having a long cooldown .

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Hausaurier.9438

Hausaurier.9438

Sadly you have to love the Style of necromancers (In PVE!!)
And there arent so much things to change, to balance this class. Maybe Well of Power change to Fire-Field instead of Dark or just rework Blood is Might: less might stacks, maybe 5 but for the whole group, something like that. Finally this would be enough :/

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I realize that dungeons are a bad place in terms of brining your necro to a DPS fight, but I can assure you that if you want to use your necro to make GOLD, you are in luck. You can take your awesome baddy necro to Cursed Shore and rake in the cash. With wells, plague, staff, and DS #4, you will make so much coin you won’t know what to do with it all .. ok, maybe I’m exaggerating a tad, but honestly, I won’t use any other class in CS. However, I have made amends with the fact that if I want to dungeon, I take my warrior and stack and press a couple buttons once in a while.

I love, love, love my necro. She was my first GW2 character and will be around long after all my other toons are shelved. Play that necro!! Play it!!!

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

As stated before, there is little use for necros in a group setting. They just don’t have the DPS or group support other classes can do much better. However, Solo is where necros shine. Condis are king, and melt things FAST, and necros have some awesome single target abilities, that are useless in groups.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Narkodx.1472

Narkodx.1472

I don’t get this thread and the responses

Are you going for a world record dungeon speed run? No? Who cares then

Every profession in full zerk is perfectly fine for dungeons

I remember in the first months of the game I was full rabid running dungeons lol

Find a guild/friends/post your own LFG and no one will kick you

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

I got mine outfitted with Clerics gear when I feel like rolling MM in WvWvW to kitten people off :P

Finished my third the other day… 0.o

one in Zojja/Scholar
One in PvT/melandru for Melee zerg balling.
and one in Sinister.

Soon to have Dire Terror for trolling WvW

yeah… i am hopeless

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: DaLup.2913

DaLup.2913

There are places for every class in pve. If your going to play a necro in pve u better be able to hold your own. When I run dungeons I really don’t like running with rangers, necros, or engis because most pugs are terrible with them and don’t know how to make a proper party oriented build with those classes. There is nothing worse then someone running a selfish build that does not mesh well, or doesn’t help the party in any way. There is nothing wrong with running those classes in dungeons as long as you know what your doing and are doing something to help/buff the party.

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

thats the thing Lup,

In PvE Oraganized content. meaning Dungeons and fractals. Necromancer does not have a “Party” build. No matter how you cut it or look at it they just dont.

We may not like it, but its the reality.

honestly in my opinion currently the only thing they could do barring completely changing the class to make them worthwhile in PvE would be to up the damage output beyond Thief. Necromancer offer no party support worth mentioning. so what could they bring? damage…..

but lets see how well that goes over in PvP.

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Morte.5916

Morte.5916

Please, PLEASE take the time and write out a route or something that you find effective. Solo PVE is what I’d be MOST interested in and this sounds too good to be true.

Jumping in… I play a necro on the cursed shore a fair bit. I haven’t scientifically analysed it the way some people do, but FWIW here are some thoughts.

- Ideally you follow a commander, and they worry about the route. Zergs scale encounters, they make more champions show up than otherwise would, you get more loot in a zerg than solo provided you tag the mobs.

- Tagging needs a few things: be in a party (the party’s collective damage is what counts), bring AoE, and place it effectively but not redundantly.

- To be in a party, follow a commander tag to a zerg and say “lfg” in a quieter moment. If that doesn’t work in a minute, say “1/5”.

- For AoE, Spoj’s dungeon Deathshroud build twisted to use dagger/warhorn and staff is quite effective. It’s good to swap in ground targeting of wells, and switch in the utility Epidemic to cast on bosses with sidekicks (e.g. giants). And it suits you gear.

- There are outright farming builds that are better at zerg farming, but the dungeon build also works in a real fight if you need to kill some things whilst getting around. Say you want to do the Empyreal Fragment chests every day, some of those are not trivial to reach. I’d leave the farming builds with their AoE signets and whatnot until you see whether you like farming.

- Almost all zerg fights are mindless if you sit back and spam AoE. If you want to make it more interesting, use the dagger and learn to read the boss animations. Champ necros are nasty, very hard to read in a blizzard of VFX and they instakill you.

- At the Temple of Grenth, you need to understand about bathing in the “portals” (swirling brown pools near the stairs) to be able to hit the wraiths. Do everybody a favour: put a few hits on the Risen Priest to tag him, then kill wraiths to improve the zerg’s overall chances of success. Grenth is the only event that fails regularly.

From memory, a commander might ideally aim for something like this champ train, although it never happens in this order and there’s lots of running/waypointing:
- At the very south, do the Megalodon and Rotbeard (pull him up on deck) and the
maggots (not champ but good loot).
- Go to Meddler’s WP and do the Ooze and the Giant (easy dodging practice).
- Head to NW corner and get the Broodmother (tag the mom then kill hatchlings), then N for the Plinx chain (the definitive ranged AoE event).
- East of Caer Shadowfain for the Archmage (hits hard).
- Back SW to Penitent Camp for the chain through to Jofast’s. This tends to happen in stages, with other events between. Many commanders aim to fail the last bit at Jofast’s to get retries – if you see “dollies” in map chat a lot, that’s what’s going on.
- If the main temple assaults (Arah, Grenth, Melandru) are on then drop everything for them. Most people want to deliberately fail temple defences to get the assaults, but there are some who don’t, and map chat can get toxic. I never do temple defences.
- Occasionally, a zerg will take in the Risen King in Reliquary Vault or the Groundskeeper in the Maze. You don’t see these often.

Now if you want to be truly solo… I’d basically amble around Orr collecting ancient wood and orichalcum, opening all the chests, killing whatever gets in the way and doing any events you stumble across. There’s no fixed route because the materials move.

I mention the chests because they make a nice stroll with varied opposition; most people run past fights to efficiently farm chests but I prefer killing everything. You do also get the fragments for Ascended armor should you be interested. See http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/User:1Maven/Empyreal_Farming for a start.

Also, see if you like Dry Top and the Silverwastes. I haven’t gotten into them, but I think they have a lot of soloable events if you know where to be and when to be there. I’m sure there’ll be a guide on the web somewhere.

(edited by Morte.5916)

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Pelopidas.2140

Pelopidas.2140

I rarely get kicked or told that i ’’underperform’’ while pugging dungeons on necro.
The damage you put out and the vuln is pretty good, and since you don’t try to do world records, the ’’meta’’ necro build performs just fine. Dont feel bad lol -.-

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

spoj.9672

These days its the norm for groups to have LFG requirements. So its completey understandable if the OP doesnt want to deal with the trouble of having a class which wont be welcomed in a large amount of groups.

I mean if it were me pugging, I would want to join berserker groups and follow relatively organised tactics myself. But i know im going to have to play one of the better classes if I want to join those groups.

If you dont mind that much. Then you can create your own LFG’s with no requirements etc. But chances are for some paths you will have absolutely terrible party members and it will put you off from pugging in the future.

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: MythicalGirl.2531

MythicalGirl.2531

I just have to have a say in this, a power necro dps the diff between him a warrior is 100 only,perfect for pve doing world bosses and dungeons, a hybrid necro can already do more condi and power type dmg and it can go till high lvl fractals,a condi necro with team support traits can do all of these 3 .The only part that matters is team composition and communicating with the group/team u’re in.Dps uptime is really important.I myself doing 49 lvl fractals with my guild soon will go into 50 as a condi necro.True only once i went with lfg and we had a great fractal anyways.But still i cant get the mentality of other people kicking others for playing something they like to.This is not a fps shooter and yes for many seeing k no on screen they think oh look at how much dps i do i’m the best or whatever,when in reality once u invest in a power build u cant out stand the damage u take and without some1 else to support your dps uptime u’re pretty much useless just like any other character in this game.Like i said is all about team composition and communicating.So don’t let yourself down and play something you don’t enjoy playing just cuz some1 said your class is bad or useless.I don’t consider that any class is better then the other,i do think that they complete each other very well and everyone has to understand what role they wanna play while creating a character.
Best regards

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I think Morte summed it up very well for CS. I don’t need to follow a commander, just /say LFG when you’re at Plinx and you’ll probably find a good farming group. There are so many events that spawn champs in CS it’s crazy. The temples are fantastic, especially Melandru, if you’re looking for mob tags. If you’re looking to zerg, just go wp to wp and call out champs or events and people will show up.

However, if you want to solo roam, just start at the north of CS and work your way south. You can zig zag a bit east and west. I use a lot of spoj’s info for my build, but I run with staff, dagger/warhorn or axe/warhorn. I use wells on my skill bar except for spectral walk as I like the speed buff on that and stability comes in handy.

If you’re on a full map it will be hard to solo a lot of stuff. And also, there are some places, like Jofast’s camp, that can be tough even with a group. But CS is the best place to hang out now for a necro.

I hate Dry Top personally, but I love Silver Wastes. BUT I find my necro not really good there. Too many mobs, with too high HP, too much movement, and my necro is too slow and doesn’t kill fast enough. I use my warrior or ranger in Silver Wastes. I’m sure people like spoj can give pointers on using a necro in SW but I just didn’t find it very usefull there. The main reason I love my necro is AoE, and that just doesn’t help you there. Some of the bosses in the breach, you cannot use AoE and you can’t get close to use melee. If you try to melee other mobs above ground, you’ll just get trampled and poisoned to death. Just my 2 cents.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Coffietire.2783

Coffietire.2783

Honestly, I think most people’s opinion on necromancers in PvE is over exaggerated. Yeah, we might not be as effective and we have no group might sources, but if the group gets wiped, it is not going to be your fault. Our skills are awesome in the Aether Path and in the Silver Wastes, Blood is power + epedemic makes those large groups melt. I guess it helps when you got crazy guild mates like mine. (“Don’t skip mobs! They might drop precursor!” -Zagerus) As for the bleed limits, it is only really an issue if you got a sword warrior who is doing nothing but aa.

I guess to summarize, we’re lame in all the easy bits and awesome in all the hard bits.

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

spoj.9672

Other classes are even better in the hard bits though.

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

- At the Temple of Grenth, you need to understand about bathing in the “portals” (swirling brown pools near the stairs) to be able to hit the wraiths. Do everybody a favour: put a few hits on the Risen Priest to tag him, then kill wraiths to improve the zerg’s overall chances of success. Grenth is the only event that fails regularly.

Did they ever fix the bug where entering death shroud removes that buff? If not, Necros are the worst profession for this task.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

I have no real trouble with silver wastes using MM and was doing all right with a perplexity-fear setup, too, but have been offline a while.

For Grenth, I usually stand on the coffin stack and use DS to avoid red dots.

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: NetBlaise.2710

NetBlaise.2710

Honestly, I think most people’s opinion on necromancers in PvE is over exaggerated. Yeah, we might not be as effective and we have no group might sources, but if the group gets wiped, it is not going to be your fault. Our skills are awesome in the Aether Path and in the Silver Wastes, Blood is power + epedemic makes those large groups melt. I guess it helps when you got crazy guild mates like mine. (“Don’t skip mobs! They might drop precursor!” -Zagerus) As for the bleed limits, it is only really an issue if you got a sword warrior who is doing nothing but aa.

I guess to summarize, we’re lame in all the easy bits and awesome in all the hard bits.

I think I might want to join your guild …… I love my necro… I always do dungeons and a necros dmg is always in the top 2 or top 3 in a group.. The difference is 10% to 20%.. Thats not a big deal.. Necro’s don’t need to give anyone else buff’s.. Why does every other profession need buffs from other professions for them to shine? Necro doesn’t need a kitten thing….

Everything in this game can be run and completed with a Necro… Your party can have 3 or more necro’s in it and still complete all the content in the game…

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: adozu.6398

adozu.6398

To be perfectly fair even if necro isn’t the best class for dunegoneering (possibly the worst) you could still run any dungeon with 5 necroes just fine.

Only groups where a necro shouldn’t come are those aiming for record-time speedruns. Regular dungeon farming a necro can fit in just fine, you’ll lose maybe what? 1 minute? 30 sec? over having another one of the “better” classes.

Those people that kick you because you are a necro are those that probably still think warrior is top dps and they need a guardian for reflection. Unless you are using condi gear, of course.

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Anchoku.8142

The two things wrong with Necromancer in dungeons are
1. No stealth or leaps for skipping content
2. Unshakable negates or greatly reduces most of Necromancer’s best skills like fear, blind, chill, cripple, weakness, vulnerability, daze, poison, and bind.

No other profession is so handicapped by dungeon design. Other professions keep their mobility skills, their stealth, their boons and bleeds, and generally more of their skills. Sure, conditions like confusion and burning are also nerfed and the group shares a stack of bleed and vulnerability but other professions can build with that in mind.

Technically, conditions should be just as good as boons.
fear – stability
cripple – swiftness
vulnerability – might
blind – aegis
poison – regeneration

Of course, there are other boons and conditions that do not have direct opposites but you get the picture. Boons are better in dungeons because the boss cannot ignore them or reduce their effects.

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

There was a time in WvW when a boss had RI, the only ways to do damage was through retaliation OR by dropping a dark field and getting life steal combo. Life steal combo damaged more than retal did and necros were much in need then.

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Anchoku.8142

Wish Necro had more ranged projectile options but that goes back to the new weapon discussions; there are all these fields and very little we can do with them.

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

spoj.9672

Another solution is to roll another class and never look back.

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

I’m using group buffing wells for healing and converting conditions to boons, etc. but it’s just not good enough. Might as well go full DPS.

Extremely disappointing to be honest. Sorry for the negativity, I suppose I just have to vent a bit. I spent quite a bit of time – and money – with this character only to realize it underperforms.

Even worse: your wells overwrite firefields and when people blast them, instead of that juicy power up, they get aoe blind, completely useless against the bosses.

Really, whoever designed necromancers, must have been completely oblivious of the game mechanics in GW2.

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Aenesthesia.1697

Well, I found a solution to this problem. I’ve left the guild, closed off all chat screens and now I just do dailies and world boss events. Removing all social aspects of this game has granted me protection from the NON STOP NEGATIVITY towards Necros. I have so much of negativity in real life, I play this game to get away from that.

Game has become much better since.

man, how I feel for you. a few weeks ago i had an argument with my entire guild for suggesting that necro damage wasn’t as bad.

Well, at least they do take me in their dungeon runs.

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: AverOk.6075

AverOk.6075

We only really lack if people are attempting to do like srsbuznss speed clears. Other than that, necros are fine in PvE I feel like. I catch crap from other players saying I [should] reroll another class, but they never kick me. And this is only coming from players in high level fractals (30+); I have never had anyone tell me anything in a pug dungeon run, unless it was in lfg as “melee/heavy only”.

I just accept all the necro hate and play the class cause I love it and it’s fun.

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rangerdeity.5847

Rangerdeity.5847

yah necro needs a buff in all game modes especially pvp and pve in WvW they do alright but they arent battle changers like ele and guardians are

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

To be perfectly fair even if necro isn’t the best class for dunegoneering (possibly the worst) you could still run any dungeon with 5 necroes just fine.

Only groups where a necro shouldn’t come are those aiming for record-time speedruns. Regular dungeon farming a necro can fit in just fine, you’ll lose maybe what? 1 minute? 30 sec? over having another one of the “better” classes.

Those people that kick you because you are a necro are those that probably still think warrior is top dps and they need a guardian for reflection. Unless you are using condi gear, of course.

The problem as I see it is not that necro isn’t viable, but rather that it isn’t ideal for anything.

I agree with everything you say here, just not what you seem to expect this should mean. There is no function oriented reason to ever take a necro into a dungeon.

Personal friends might do so happily, and necro can do OK, but on the list of all the classes worth a slot in a dungeon run, necro isn’t just at the bottom. It’s dangling from the bottom by a thin thread of excuses, not reasons.

It’s fine for doing things solo. It’s arguably the best class for mass tagging in zerg farms.

Is it good for anything else? No. Not compared to every single other class. Not most of the others – all of them. Every single other class outshines necro in some valuable way, some in more than one, and that which is supposed to make necro done (pets and conditions) are two of the most pitifully handled and primitively counter-intuitive systems in the entire game.

Most conditions are useless against bosses. The condition stack caps ensure that it’s futile in zergs for more than about three condi necros to ever be on the same farm at one time. Pet AI is pants on head kittened in ways that bewilder the senses, and we have nothing even remotely resembling pet controls. Moreover, even if we did, the most powerful pets can be still leaves them so squishy and feeble that it’s almost comical to try to envision what it would take to make them legitimately useful in pve outside of solo I Do What I Want throw-away builds.

Zip on over to the death shroud mechanic, which offers yet more absolutely nothing to a team and isn’t even that great a mechanic for anything except saving yourself.

What’s it all add up to? If they delete necro from the game, nobody except hardcore zerg event farmers would have any practical reason to miss it. It would probably improve the quality of pug dungeon runs, because nobody would be bringing their random garbage necro builds into them anymore.

That’s not me being cynical. Its just plain true, and will likely remain true for the rest of this games life, as they clearly have no big plans of doing anything about it since it likely isn’t costing them anything to ignore it.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rangerdeity.5847

Rangerdeity.5847

^ rant but accurate if they gave something to help clear trash or make running past mobs easier for the party it would be fine but they just dont they just kinda tell necros to go kitten themselves Trust me i have one its 80 has 3 sets of exotics and its more used in niche WvW party composition roles than anything

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

people need to understand this game has a lot of aspects, and you need to gear up and use appropriate weapons and traits in order to be efficient and more rewarded for doing stuff in that aspect of the game.

Dungeons have their own challenges ,problems and needs you must face and adapt in order to make a dungeon run simple,clean and fast (1-2 fail is fine..but rezzing hodgings over and over and over again cause you cant kill the gravelings burrows fast enough and keep them away from him is another thing)

Spvp not only requires a specific build that completes a role ,it also depends on you to know how to use it well, to recognize situations and position your self somewhere

wvw also requires specific gear in order to survive the enemy zerg and in order to give something to your own zerg.

As for general pve exploring and doing events pretty much anything works. Its just better if you can have some sort of speed boost and aoe attacks to tag mobs with

Knowing this you have to ask your self what can your class do in those aspects of the game.

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Alquinon.2957

Alquinon.2957

Necro is playable in PvE. You can get through all of the dungeons with a necro without a problem. As long as you know how to dodge and how each fight works, there’s no reason why people don’t want to PvE with you. Sure the run might be a bit slower if the others don’t might stack and buff the party, but it’s still doable.

However, my gripe with my necro is that while it’s playable, it’s not enjoyable at all in PvE.

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Calm down, most groups aren’t exactly meta anyway, about 50 – 70% of the runs are slower than meta and most just don’t care. I see staff guardians, bearbows etc. and instead of 10mins we do AC in 15 mins, who the hell cares. It’s still better to have a power necro than a staff guardian, isn’kitten-)

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Brahmincorle.1264

Brahmincorle.1264

I like visuals of necro but as PvE player in this game that is about it. Condi necro is big nono and shroud power build is just plain boring. If anyone here played destro PvE warlock in TBC days of WoW this build must be déjà vu to you too. After you popp your cooldowns (well, reapers touch and whatever else) you go DS and spam some shadowbolts ehm life blasts until u run out of life force a.k.a mana lol. Then u hit your axe 2 and build up life force again, use them big CDs and spam life blast again. It looks cool but it is BORING just like meta destro lock in TBC PvE. Oh and if you feel fancy you can use lich form which will make your only usefull skill known as #1 black instead of green. Coooooool….not.

I also tried D/F necro. I had better DPS but… nowhere near as good as my warrior, whole rotation consisted of spaming #1 and well on cooldown with occasional horn #5… boring again. And no cool shroud visuals this time. Why would I not bring warrior instead of necro?

If I were you I would stick with DS build because at least it looks cool, you are spared from not seeing anything through particle effects and hey! You almost never die unless u kitten a lot or it is wipe (is wiping even a thing in GW2 non-pug dungeons btw?).

(edited by Brahmincorle.1264)

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Dungeons are such a small part of the game. A Necro is good in open world PVE, in PVP and in WvW.

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Anything is “good” in open world PvE because open world PvE is easy and the only person you punish for playing a Necromancer is yourself. Other classes are all still better. The only reason you should ever play a Necromancer in PvE is because you enjoy it, never because you think it’s the best thing to do for any circumstance.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

spoj.9672

Just to put it into perspective. It cant be good for the game when new players come and ask about necro and then get told to play another class.

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Brahmincorle.1264

Brahmincorle.1264

Just to put it into perspective…..

Yeah this is pretty unique situation. In most MMOs there is “this class is OP” crowd vs “this class is UP” crowdn and both camps accuse the other one from being stupid and not knowing what are they talking about. Not in this game. There is pretty much universal agreement about necromancer being trash class in any form of PvE except open world solo.

Sadly for us, developers doesnt care….

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

Necro is playable in PvE. You can get through all of the dungeons with a necro without a problem. As long as you know how to dodge and how each fight works, there’s no reason why people don’t want to PvE with you. Sure the run might be a bit slower if the others don’t might stack and buff the party, but it’s still doable.

However, my gripe with my necro is that while it’s playable, it’s not enjoyable at all in PvE.

This is completely false, of course. I know all dungeons inside out, I’ve grinded 600 gold in past 2 weeks doing dungeon runs only, so you know I’ve farmed those dungeons A LOT. I now know pretty much every attack of every mob and have learned to solo subject alpha in CoE with full zerker and power necro build.

HOWEVER, such a necro is still not wanted in parties. Even with a perfect skill rotation and a power build, understanding fire circles priorities, etc. you still perform sub-par. I’ve tried blinding mobs for my group (well, plague form skill #2), I’ve tried fearing (such as mark golem into turret on CoE or subject alpha into corner or those archers in TA to make safe distance between perma stun mobs and my group, fearing defense golems at laser defence together when we don’t have a guardian,…), I’ve tried condi removal (5 seconds condi removal at 1 pulse per second and a 50 seconds cooldown – what a joke!), I’ve tried many many things and necro is simply subpar.

Does this mean I have not been able to do any dungeons? Hell no. Does this mean a PUG party would rather see a random any class instead of a necro (or, let’s be honest, a ranger)? Hell yes.

Au contraire – I find necro a blast to play. However, being so unwanted I now just spam parties until I find one that doesn’t kick me, I’ve rolled an elementalist and am turning my back on this class until it gets revamped.

Let me know, when necro has an ability that can burst down burrows in AC with a single attack. Thanks!

This. I’m with this person. The problem isn’t that necro is garbage, it’s that it isn’t great either for a lot that is highly desired in pve.

The mentality isn’t deserved, because as this poster observes, it can do quite fine. But it’s so definitively sub par that it isn’t unusual for it to get kicked from pug runs without a word.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bandit.8279

Bandit.8279

I don’t get this thread and the responses

Are you going for a world record dungeon speed run? No? Who cares then

Every profession in full zerk is perfectly fine for dungeons

I remember in the first months of the game I was full rabid running dungeons lol

Find a guild/friends/post your own LFG and no one will kick you

Yea, I totally agree. I run necro in all matters of PvE and we do just fine. Especially dungeons & fractals.

OP, find a more open, casual and non-meta guild. PvE, once the content and the encounters learned, is not all that hard. Sounds like your hanging out with the meta crowd and their standards are frustrating you. If you have to pug just look for casual lfg’s and you should be fine.

Play how you want not how others want you to. There are plenty of us non-meta players out there. Good luck and have fun!

Fools N Gold [FNG] of Tarnished Coast

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cbomb.4310

Cbomb.4310

I actually think the worst thing about Necro’s is the people that play them.
I’ve seen more insist on playing a condi necro and sit around AA’ing with a staff in some WvW build then ones that even tried something else. Almost like they have the attitude ‘well if everyone is going to hate me, I might as well give them a reason’. True, from a ‘meta’ POV they’re lacking, but I’d have no issues bringing a good player using a good necro build along on a dungeon tour and quite frankly anyone that does has a stick up their kitten. I’ve seen plenty of bad players flock to warriors just because its easier to hide your lack of.. maybe ‘goodness’ isnt the right word but you know what I mean.

When you PUG, you kinda expect people to be less than awesome, so I’d more often than not expect a PUG necro to be of the variety described above. Its kind of like the stigma against rangers, even if from a ‘meta’ POV they have way more group usefulness. For a long time and to some extent still do, have a stigma against them for PUGs.

If you really like how necro plays, and are comitted to being a good player, I’d say just keep it up. But as others have said, it prolly dosnt hurt to have some class variety for your groups either :P

Place for necro in PVE

in Necromancer

Aenesthesia.1697

I rarely get kicked or told that i ’’underperform’’ while pugging dungeons on necro.
The damage you put out and the vuln is pretty good, and since you don’t try to do world records, the ’’meta’’ necro build performs just fine. Dont feel bad lol -.-

It’s not even what other players tell you.

It’s what i see when i play.

I used to play hybrid necro, until i found that warrios deleted the mobs before i could build the 25 stacks of bleed on them.

Then i switched to power necro after the soft cleave for dagger was implemented. I thought: now you are going to see my rage!!

But the real thing is, i cannot even bring to the group even 50% of what an elementalist can. Period. After a few speed runs with elementalists, i created one and retired the necro to pvp and open world instead. What does that tell you?