[Power Reaper build] Thoughts and suggestions

in Necromancer

Posted by: Jarvice.4590

Jarvice.4590

The build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQJARWnMba2kWas0Y7m2NxyGlNQvpeTL5CW8UsLOGhCANgVg0OYrlvA-TxRBwA3U/JylUY2+DmVCiXXDgnUwVlfAA-e

I made this build a long time ago and it has served me very well. The main reason why I made this topic is because of raids, and the fact that I see a lot of people being negative towards Necro’s and Reapers (especially power builds). In PvE it works very well, which is why I think it will work well in Raids too. I haven’t tried it yet, though.

The reason why I made this build was because I wanted something tanky to survive on my own in Heart of Thorns, but I also wanted to put out a lot of damage. This build seems to do both very well. If you’re a bit cautious it’s pretty hard to get killed.

Here’s how it works:

I mostly switch between GS and Shroud, the staff is a back up if I get to low health (+ it has a lot of AoE). Against very strong mobs I’m a bit more cautious with the amount of lifeforce that I have. I really try to use it as a second health pool, and it’s also the reason why I use Unholy Sanctuary (it saved my ass very often!)

It’s easy to build up might and apply vulnerability (which increases crit chance). This gives a great amount of damage in combination with all the ferocity that this build has.
Switching between GS and Shroud gives about 4/5 abilities in total that hit between 10 to 25k damage. It’s a pretty simple rotation too.

The most OP thing about this build is once the target drops below 50% health. You can continue spamming Gravedigger, which easily hits 20k each time if you have a good amount of might.

One last thing, you can change the signet if you want. I just like both it’s passive and it’s active.

I’m very curious what you guys think. Hopefully some of you will try it out

in Necromancer

Posted by: KrHome.1920

KrHome.1920

Why Death Magic?

Either Soul Reaping or Bood Magic would create much better synergies in terms of damage and sustain with the rest of your build.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Jarvice.4590

Jarvice.4590

Why Death Magic?

Either Soul Reaping or Bood Magic would create much better synergies in terms of damage and sustain with the rest of your build.

I don’t really make a lot of use from the Blood Magic traits. Soul Reaping is decent, but that basically only makes Reaper’s Shroud more powerfull. The thing with Death Magic is that it helps out while using your GS and while in Shroud form. I also like that it removes conditions while in Shroud.
But the best part to me is Unholy Sanctuary. A lot of the HoT bosses have some kind of ability that will kill you instantly. Because of Unholy Sanctuary you will survive those attacks!

in Necromancer

Posted by: KrHome.1920

KrHome.1920

But the best part to me is Unholy Sanctuary. A lot of the HoT bosses have some kind of ability that will kill you instantly. Because of Unholy Sanctuary you will survive those attacks!

I never had that problem. Necro is by far the most forgiving class for solo play in PvE content – even in full glass gear.

Anyway, play what you feel comfortable with!

in Necromancer

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

The issue with raids isn’t that power isn’t viable, or necro/reaper isn’t viable, it’s that they are looking at cross class synergies to make the group better and more efficient. Necro is about the most selfish class in the game, now that venomshare is baseline for thieves. We can help with some condi management that no one else has, but for the most part since people have plenty of condi clear, and can apply conditions around just fine, the only thing we really bring to the party at that point is epidemic, and I have no idea how well that works now that it’s been changed two patches ago.

Your build will work fine in OW PVE, and in fractals. People are just really picky otherwise. If you raid with a guild of friends, you should be ok though. PUGs will likely drop you on sight though. (which is why I don’t raid. I play what I want.)

in Necromancer

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I never had that problem. Necro is by far the most forgiving class for solo play in PvE content – even in full glass gear.

Anyway, play what you feel comfortable with!

Nah man, ranger/druid is way easier due to the pet durability and lack of aggro. Can solo world bosses on those things.

Honestly, it doesn’t really matter what you do if it’s for PvE. DM works if you’re capped on might/fury/enemy vuln. Sigil of Accuracy with Scholar runes will net better damage over Fire/Eagle, however.

For raids, the synergy is indeed the important part; it’s why rangers have been used in speed clear groups for so long. BM deals more total damage in a party due to the vampiric aura already contributing so much more damage for the party as it’s basically equal to +400 damage per AA, and the healing and sustain is nothing to sneeze at, either.

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

BM deals more total damage in a party due to the vampiric aura already contributing so much more damage for the party as it’s basically equal to +400 damage per AA, and the healing and sustain is nothing to sneeze at, either.

Wait! stop! what!???

Vampiric aura give 40 point of damage per hit nothing more nothing less. And even a single might stack have the potential to give more damage than that, especially if the hit is a crit. As for the heal, however fast you hit, it doesn’t hold a candle to the boon regeneration or things like soothing mist and the shared virtue of resolve.

Is it something to sneeze at? no. However, in something like a raid where you seek efficiency it is indeed something that is negligible and that you can easily sneeze at.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Necromancer

DeceiverX.8361

Vampiric Presence applies to all party members – though my number is admittedly wrong due to the cap at 5 people leading to an effective equivalent of +200 per hit.

Not saying necro is amazing for raids, but DM doesn’t provide that much extra damage and BM’s utility is objectively better.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Jinn Galen.2468

Jinn Galen.2468

I find the lifesteal of the power necromancer to be weird… usually it’s a percentage of damage to the enemy dealt similar to a thief’s invigorating precision (if I recall the trait correctly) and not a very small fixed value…

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Nope deceiver, I’m sorry but however you put it, it’s 1 hit → 40 damage. kitten from 5 different players end up with those 200 damage but that’s all.

Necro’s life steal have it’s good points but also it’s share of disapointing stuff. The disapinting stuff is the very low values that led nowhere most of the time while the good point is the damage, the heal and most of all, the fact that it ignore damage reduction.

However, it’s values are much to low to have any significant impact on whatever gamemode one can think.

If we could use thief’s invigorating precision (and it bypass the shroud limitation) we would basically be invicible… Well maybe not if we are stunlocked

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Necromancer

DeceiverX.8361

I was assuming those four others were going to be attacking given the fact it’s PvE. It’s also based on their attack speed with no ICD which may be (and almost always will be) higher than the necro’s.

Again, nowhere did I say BM was good for a competitive raid necro; nowhere did I even say necro was good for raids. I just said it’s better than DM for damage and provides better utility, which is true. I’m not here to argue about necro being a good raid class, just that DM isn’t a good idea to take in general unless you’re really struggling to cleanse. But that should still command using consume, OH dagger, and suffer instead.

The lifesteal while not intrinsically strong is very hard to balance for PvP environments.

I think very low low power and healing power coefficients for the damage/health gain would be more appropriate.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Jinn Galen.2468

Jinn Galen.2468

I went to the wiki. The siphon damage has a very low power scaling if I remember correctly… 0.003 lol. The healing is not affected by healing power or power but I may have misremembered it. And even if it did it would be very low as well. If copying invigorating precision’s numbers plus bypassing shroud is OP, then just reduce the healing received when in shroud to acceptable numbers.

I mean in my opinion, we should be the masters of lifestealing. We’re necromancers. Fits our theme perfectly. Besides theme, it might give power reapers something unique to bring to the table: significant lifesteal and damage boost.

in Necromancer

Posted by: FrostDraco.8306

FrostDraco.8306

Why Death Magic?

I don’t really make a lot of use from the Blood Magic traits. Soul Reaping is decent, but that basically only makes Reaper’s Shroud more powerfull. The thing with Death Magic is that it helps out while using your GS and while in Shroud form. I also like that it removes conditions while in Shroud.

Or you can survive them by not sucking and getting hit by them in the first place, as they are far and few inbetween and still no excuse to run the worse trait line on a POWER necro in pve.

-sips tea-

But that’s none of my business.