Power build for Dungeons/WvW

in Necromancer

Posted by: Icetrinity.3804

Icetrinity.3804

Q:

Hi All,

I am currently levelling my Necromancer for participation in Guild dungeon runs and WvW. I had always planned on running a similar build to my sPvP Necro build, which is a power Dagger/Focus Wells build, however I was told recently that power Necros aren’t viable for dungeons and WvW, which is a little disappointing for me, because of how much I enjoy my build in sPvP.

My question to you, the Necro Community, is simple. Is a power Necro viable for dungeons and small-scale (non-zerg) WvW? If yes, could you please provide a build that translates nicely between the two (I dont mind having to make some changes in build when I move between the two, but only changes that don’t involve respeccing every time I go between the two types of gameplay). If no, could you please explain to me why it is not viable.

As stated above, I play a power build in sPvP and am quite comfortable with the play style and feel that I perform well with it. I have also played my Necro enough to not need to be told to just play whatever while I get the hang of it – I have nearly 100 hours play time on my Necro – 3/4 of which are from tournaments.

Thanks in advance.
Icetrinity

in Necromancer

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

A:

I run a power siphon wells build and I haven’t had any trouble in any dungeon and I’m a walking siege engine in wvwvw.

20/20/0/30/0 full knights with dolyak runes perception sigil and life leech on crit sigil onfocus and life leech sigil on staff. Use master maintenance oils and omnomberry pies. Well of corruption well of suffering and your last utility can be whatever you need typical I use bip or spectral wak.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in Necromancer

Posted by: Icetrinity.3804

Icetrinity.3804

Awesome, thanks NeXed! Could you possibly post (or message me) your build in a calculator so I can look at it more thoroughly. It would be greatly appreciated.

in Necromancer

Posted by: EarthlySaint.4523

EarthlySaint.4523

I’d be interested in the build as well!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bweaty.9187

Bweaty.9187

Power build, I find is the most viable for dungy’s. Reasons are, soo many things require ‘direct damage’. Minions are a pain as they kinda do what they feel like & die to aoe.
Also, death shroud is mainly power based for it’s dam.

With reduced CD’s on wells, you can be a rather helpful support. Staff is usually weapon of choice.

Personally Im using a slightly modified vampire build. Gear is half Pow/Pre/Tuf & half Pow/Pre/Ckittenraits 30/0/10/20/10.

Other tips I have, heal power isn’t very useful for us. Siphon’s ant’ affected, regen from staff is off affected members heal power, so even if you stack all the heal power you can, ya’ll heal a party member a bonus 1% of there max life, every 10sec on adv.

Signet of Undeath: the kitten! Even if it only saves your group from a wipe once a run… Takes a little to get used to, will only work if they got more than 20% life left, 2sec cast time & sometimes has ground LoS issues.

Also remember, were not going to be up there with war’s and mes’s on speed clearing CoF P1. But were usually going to be the last standing and saving the group in more real places like Arah.

in Necromancer

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

@NeXeD or anyone else running a similar build:
any idea if there is a walk-through on youtube for a setup such as the one you described? If not, could you elaborate e little more on the traits, the why / what weapons(and why) / how to do it?

thank you for your time.

in Necromancer

Posted by: LastDay.3524

LastDay.3524

Personally I run Dagger/Focus + Staff.
Reasoning being that Dagger deals great damage but places me in danger so when I need to fall back I use Life Siphon, Reaper’s Scythe, Spinal Shivers and Death Shroud → Life Transfer, Life Blast while waiting for my Healing skill cooldown.

For traits I went 30 Power for Close to Death and Focus Cooldown reductions.
10 Death Magic for Greater marks.
30 Soul Reaping for the Critical Damage, increased Life Force pool, Unyielding Blast and the two great Grandmaster traits which I switch around whenever I feel like it.
For Utilities I often run Well of Corruption, Well of Power and Spectral Walk.

With all that said I may switch my build multiple times a week, I like experimenting.
Necro has surprisingly many interesting builds. Some better, some worse of course.

Benight[Edge]

in Necromancer

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

Are Well of Corruption and Well of Power of use in dungeons? They seam more like pvp / wvw utilities.

@LastDay you are missing life leech, you don`t miss it?

in Necromancer

Posted by: LastDay.3524

LastDay.3524

Are Well of Corruption and Well of Power of use in dungeons? They seam more like pvp / wvw utilities.

@LastDay you are missing life leech, you don`t miss it?

I’m not strict at all on my builds, I switch stuff around ALL the time.
I’ve been using Well of Corruption on Dredge and in WvW. :P
I use Well of Suffering vs most mobs in PvE.

Well of Power is nice for getting rid of Cripple, Chill and Immob when running around in WvW and it also helps your allies.
It’s also rather nice in Arah, TA and some Fractals levels etc.
Using it somewhere with no conditions obviously isn’t smart.

As for traits…
20% extra damage to targets below 50% health or Wells steal health?

Both are viable choices if you ask me.
I often run Blood Magic and go for Well traits but lately I’ve just wanted to kill stuff faster.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with the traits and skills, it’s quite fun!

Benight[Edge]