PvE guide/build for new necromancers

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zinthos.5893

Zinthos.5893

Hey everyone!

This build is more for those wanting to try out Necromancer in PvE. It focuses on minions and conditions. Yes the typical old school PvE minion build. Simple for beginners to the profession to learn and have fun with. I have been playing GW2 since the very first closed beta and I still use this build from time to time when doing open world events.

I hope this helps you and gives you a good starting point in the profession

Video: https://youtu.be/HOPn4WNGStA

Build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNBmWDbkh2QTXtr2KblNu12aYv93OoGKaMUDnwclrgiVGADwwC-TBCBAB/o+Tzm/Sa/BY094kyPAeSBVoE05LqAA-e

in Necromancer

Posted by: nintama.9436

nintama.9436

Thanks for the build. I think this build is a little too defensive for PvE. I would use Kraith runes and replace shroud reaping with curses to maximize condi dmg.

in Necromancer

Zinthos.5893

Thanks for the build. I think this build is a little too defensive for PvE. I would use Kraith runes and replace shroud reaping with curses to maximize condi dmg.

Yeah that would be a good move for a lot of people. I mostly play tank builds as I am traditionally the bunker in PvP and the tank in a lot of other games. Could work on making more damage focused builds as well, I just know more about tanking is all :P

in Necromancer

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Sigil of Bursting is worthless, it only scales off of your base condi damage not the condi damage from gear. Malice and Agony would serve your build better.

Also I’m not sure what content you are applying this too. In solo PvE taking a offensive traitline of some sort would net better results because of survivability by kill it faster. In PvP you’d lose every fight running such a build.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in Necromancer

Zinthos.5893

Sigil of Bursting is worthless, it only scales off of your base condi damage not the condi damage from gear. Malice and Agony would serve your build better.

Also I’m not sure what content you are applying this too. In solo PvE taking a offensive traitline of some sort would net better results because of survivability by kill it faster. In PvP you’d lose every fight running such a build.

The title clearly says PvE, not sure why you feel the need to bring PvP into this, not once did I reference anything about PvP in the video.

The only thing that ends up dealing more damage are bleeding effects, and really they only do more damage by at most around 300 points on Mark of Blood. This is offset by the crit chance being increased. I think my original plan for this was to go with Curses instead of Soul Reaping, but in the end it the change isn’t all that big of a deal for PvE.

If this was a straight up dungeon build, or a PvP build, I would say yeah switch those two for max damage, but I would also most certainly be using Curses instead of Soul Reaping if that were the case.

But as I said in the video, the gear isn’t really all important for the build, because by the time they start trying to get the gear for the necro, they will have experimented enough with it to have changed things around. This build is for new people to the profession, so I doubt that anyone that follows it will stick with it after around level 45-ish. There are a lot of reasons I set this build up the way I did, but the main one is to encourage people to change up the build. It is overly tanky in order to make those wanting more damage to look for it in other ways like our friend who commented earlier

in Necromancer

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

For solo PvE, running blood, soul reaping, and death magic still isn’t advisable. You end up taking way more damage simply because of how long it will take you to kill anything. Condi Necro already takes awhile to kill mobs because of it’s ramp time, gutting it’s dps in the process is just making the player’s life more difficult than it needs to be.
Soul reaping in general isn’t good for core necro because of how crappy core shroud is.

And seriously, sigil of bursting is absolutely terrible. It’s tooltip is a trap for those ignorant of how it actually functions.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vitali.5039

Vitali.5039

My 2 cents
If someone want to tank with necros it really should choose reaper trait line: -10% damage from chilled foes, life force refilling utility, blinds and the best minions. If the necro want its minion to tank it shouln’t go full toughness.

But all builds can work in open world, so its fine

in Necromancer

Posted by: FrostDraco.8306

FrostDraco.8306

Im sorry but i think this build is absolutely terrible. You should be helping new players learn mechanics of the class. Not lean on minions and staff autos, both of which are terrible. Its a fast way to get kicked once you get into content that requires more than pressing 1. On top of that the trait selection is meme worthy.

>Firstly, condi builds suck without vipers. Especially if you arent stacking duration, which this build has none of. Secondly you dont need the tankiness from rabid with Parasitic contagion, might as well go sinister (which is actually competitive with vipers). Which is EASIER to get than these rabid pieces with time gated jewels.

>Staff is a terrible weapon for anything. Never, ever recommend it for anything other than the utility and tagging. If you are running a condi build, having a dagger offhand or swap is way better.

>Rune of undead? Just no. Go krait, trapper, nightmare, thorns, aristocracy, even lich(for double shroud dip), but never Rune of Undead.

>Spear>trident, especially before you can acquire a lot of condi damage. It allows you to refill shroud super easy underwater, which is better for dps until you get a complete condi build.

>Sigil of accuracy and Sigil of bursting are trash on necro. Just as a general rule. Never recommend it.

>Using unholy martyr…..ever

>Why do you need signet of locust if you have warhorn? The movement speed and swiftness DON’T stack!

>Using Shadow fiend instead of Jagged horrors when they count 2x for Flesh of master, Life syphon, and condi transfer.

>Using Death magic at all.

>Using Foot in the grave in pve, instead of Dhuumfire on a condi build.

>Using unholy sanctuary in pve

This build honestly looks like it was made by someone that barely plays necro, and when they do, do so poorly.

(edited by FrostDraco.8306)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

wtf did i just read, i hope this thread gets deleted and hopefully no new player has a close encounter with it

in Necromancer

Posted by: Brood.4913

Brood.4913

Could someone point to a good pve build/guide for new players please – metabattle doesn’t seem to have any general pve builds.

in Necromancer

Posted by: bulauchenka.5382

bulauchenka.5382

Brood.4913"
http://dulfy.net/2014/06/30/gw2-necromancer-pve-guide-by-spoj/
https://metabattle.com/wiki/Necromancer (Fractal!!!)
condi for fractal t4
dungeon and open world pover

Zinthos.5893 is noob and his build horrible for any game mod! never use it. Zero dps /mobility/ utility is omg.
This build for one handed ppl.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Brood.4913

Brood.4913

Great, thanks!
I didn’t know the fractal builds were for ‘normal’ pve.