PvP - Competing with Necro - Power or Condi?

in Necromancer

Posted by: PakSau.3709

PakSau.3709

With the upcoming UGO tournament, I can’t decide which way to go. I played 800 ranked matches this past season alternating between power/condi. I found condi to bring me the most consistent success in solo/duo Q.

Now that I will have a full team who I can rely on, I wonder if I should reconsider my build. If you were to take both builds, played optimally, which would be of most benefit for a team? Or is it best to have both ready, and switch between condi and power based on the enemy comp?

Obviously something I’ll figure out with my team as we prepare, but I’d like feedback from others also.

Thoughts?

(edited by PakSau.3709)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Murdock.6547

Murdock.6547

I’ll preface this with a “I’m not a fantastic player by any stretch, but I’ve played quite a bit of necro.” so take what I say with a few grains of salt.

Firstly, my understanding is that necro’s hugest strengths come from boon corruption and the fact that their ranged attacks have no projectiles (Axe and scepter).
That’s it. That’s about all I can say. They have some mild area denial with marks or wells… but frankly their best boons are their corrupting of boons and the fact that you don’t see necros ranging you immediately like other classes.
For these reasons the signet corruption build became popular. (unsure how good it is atm).
Power is fun, though. Like a LOT of fun. Even more fun with base necro and lich form luls… but again, not a great player. Psure I’m currently in silver? Whatever.

Bottom line before I start rambling: condi is probably your best bet, and it’d be really funny to have epi if your team is condi based.
Just think critically about it, talk with your team, and remember that whatever you do you’re a necro and you’re pretty kitten vulnerable to getting ganked. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
Maybe you can SURVIVE initial burst, but if you get legit focused you will die and there’s not much you can do.

What a circus. Complete with clowns and monkeys that do tricks.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bezerker.2379

Bezerker.2379

From what i understand, general consensus is that the power builds are better in solo or duo queue. Condi is strong in team builds.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

I’ve been messing around with a power procmancer variant, which to me seems to be the ideal teamfighter. It’s got the corruption capabilities of ye old condi procmancer but with way better LF gain than condi builds do.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQJBHhdysJ0uJWuJYeDQvJWwFMo2UA4AEXF7ihxotW+6DA-TpQGgAAnAA09HAA

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in Necromancer

Posted by: BikeIsGone.8675

BikeIsGone.8675

As I have already explained in your other thread in the pvp-section, condi has overall more damage potential, while power is far more self sufficient (which is why it is so popular in Solo/Duo Q.

As for the necro’s role: Cleave and Aoe pressure are great on the class, but furthermore – as already mentioned – necro just reks bunkers like ele/engi/ranger thanks to boon corrupts. These 3 classes in particular are super sustain(y) thanks to their defensive boon spam, so with some corrupts they actually melt.

If you have a good support setup (preferably Ele AND engi) id suggest a hybrid variant with Carrion rune. While the 900 Power on it’s own doesn’t seem like much, Necro has various ways to increase their crit chance (not precision) by quite a lot actually just via traits.

Although there are A LOT of ways to build a hybrid necro, Personally I like this one:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNBmWD7kjGo8GszGw2GgeTsgLYxXxv4YMarlv+AQXtAwBA-TpxFwAFuAAHeAAn2fAwBBIxRAwZZAA

If you like to be more self sufficient or struggle with life force, you can replace either spite or curses with soul reaping…Death Perception is amazing on carrion builds and unblockable marks are simply great as well.

in Necromancer

Posted by: PakSau.3709

PakSau.3709

As I have already explained in your other thread in the pvp-section, condi has overall more damage potential, while power is far more self sufficient (which is why it is so popular in Solo/Duo Q.

Wasn’t ignoring your response there. Posted this on PvP and Necro forums, along with reddit. Wanted to hear as many people’s thoughts as possible. Thank you for yours.