[PvX] Spectral Wall - it should act like one!

in Necromancer

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

Spectral Wall – i like this skill a lot, save one thing – it always sends them running away from the necro! That’s not how a wall should behave!

What i believe should be the case is wall itself being the center of the fear applied to those who try to cross it, and as result they should run away from the wall, not the necro.

If I’m chasing down an opponent and pop spectral wall in front of them i expect them to be feared away from it, straight into my necromancer’s grasp. Not keep running forward like cheetah on crack!

Also take into consideration how helpful a properly working spectral wall would be to all the pvp reapers in doing their statutory task – keeping the enemies trapped in close range and not letting them escape whenever they feel like it.

Also with above fix it becomes more flexible in use and rewards fast thinking and smart wall placement that much more. I would dare say that kinda skill is what should be seen in e-sports, rather then dumb evasion well spammage.

(edited by ZeftheWicked.3076)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Georc.2958

Georc.2958

This is actually a really neat idea. Take my +1.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Solid idea, I like it, it also has some fun combos where you can ping-pong them (since fears you apply after would push them away from you again).

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dead.5829

Dead.5829

Yes, please. That would be great.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

But then how will we fear an entire zerg off a cliff in Edge of the Mists?

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

But then how will we fear an entire zerg off a cliff in Edge of the Mists?

A lot of positions allow the same thing, the only difference is the side of the small pathway they fall off of to their death.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tadsoul.6951

Tadsoul.6951

I like this idea +1

in Necromancer

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

Yup, this needs to happen.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in Necromancer

Posted by: meow one twenty.4376

meow one twenty.4376

Just some comments…

The origin of the Fear is us, not the wall, and it sends them away from us because of this. To make the wall the source it needs to be reprogrammed as it’s own entity. That adds a lot of checks that it needs to go through before it can be similar to its current productivity:

Copies users condi stat
Copies users condi duration
Copies users might
Terror Y/N
Fear of Death Y/N
Shivers of Dread Y/N
Cold Shoulder Y/N
Deathly Chill Y/N

Since it’s now it’s own entity does it get boons? If it gets boons it should be able to be destroyed. If it doesn’t get boons it can’t recreate potential damage a Necro does now. Alternatively they could try reprogramming Fear to force an enemy 180 degrees from something that isn’t the source of fear.

It just seems like a lot of work for not a big deal.

Alright meow, where were we?

in Necromancer

Posted by: zapv.8051

zapv.8051

I’d rather they lower the cd to like 30-35 seconds, so its actually possible to use it in pvp.

Necros don’t have reflects, invulns, vigor, blocks,
extra dodges, real stability, mobility skills,
burst skills, sustain, or good support. GG ANET.

in Necromancer

ZeftheWicked.3076

Meow – let’s not exaggerate here. Guardian’s line of warding (their knockback wall) is it’s own center of knockback, separate entity etc and it works just fine.

And what about every well or better yet corrosive poison cloud? They too don’t follow us around are separate entities, have condi damage beased off us and what not and worked with proper traits.

Wall would be much the same, not minion as you might think, just a field that applied condi and has enemy fear direction calculations based on it’s position and not ours. Not a terribly hard thing to do considered they already did half of the job with line of warding, and other half (condi calculations) with corrosive poison cloud.

in Necromancer

meow one twenty.4376

Meow – let’s not exaggerate here. Guardian’s line of warding (their knockback wall) is it’s own center of knockback, separate entity etc and it works just fine.

And what about every well or better yet corrosive poison cloud? They too don’t follow us around are separate entities, have condi damage beased off us and what not and worked with proper traits.

Wall would be much the same, not minion as you might think, just a field that applied condi and has enemy fear direction calculations based on it’s position and not ours. Not a terribly hard thing to do considered they already did half of the job with line of warding, and other half (condi calculations) with corrosive poison cloud.

The knockbacks from Line of Warding don’t actually apply anything from the user.

Wells and CPC, yes the damage source is the user. Just like the source of Fear from Spectral Wall is the user, and the enemy is therefore turned 180 degrees from the user.

In order for the enemy to be Feared 180 degrees from the Spectral Wall, the Spectral Wall would need to be its own user, its own source, hence it would be more like a Thumper Turret than a Line of Warding. The likeness to Thumper Turrets just reinforces what I’m saying.

(edited by meow one twenty.4376)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Arcades Saboth.5139

Arcades Saboth.5139

I agree that Fears should keep move our enemy away from us and not form the wall. I believe, though, that it really needs some love.
Lowering the cooldown would be awesome but I think it need something else.
It would be fantastic that it reflects projectiles and makes them to apply Fear. THAT would be fantastic, but unrealistic.

in Necromancer

Posted by: DTATL.9641

DTATL.9641

Or it could just work like Druid staff 5 but give us LF instead

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

Literally all it would need to do is be its own entity (and so Fears you away from it) like Line of Warding, and inherits one of very few traits from Necromancer. This wouldn’t be that hard to do, it needs your condition damage/duration, and it needs a few traits: Terror, Parasitic Contagion, Shivers of Dread, Deathly Chill, Bitter Chill.

Minions already have all the functions mentioned, the only difference is you’d need to make the Fear from the wall.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

meow one twenty.4376

Literally all it would need to do is be its own entity (and so Fears you away from it) like Line of Warding, and inherits one of very few traits from Necromancer. This wouldn’t be that hard to do, it needs your condition damage/duration, and it needs a few traits: Terror, Parasitic Contagion, Shivers of Dread, Deathly Chill, Bitter Chill.

Minions already have all the functions mentioned, the only difference is you’d need to make the Fear from the wall.

You realize that you started with “Literally all it would need,” and then gave a long list of things it would need. It might not be “a lot of work” to some people, but to a dev it is a complete redesign that requires 6 times the coding all for the net gain of Fearing a person in a different direction sometimes.

Sorry for being harsh OP. I didn’t mean to come off that way, I just wanted to point out what it would require to remain effectively similar.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

You realize that you started with “Literally all it would need,” and then gave a long list of things it would need. It might not be “a lot of work” to some people, but to a dev it is a complete redesign that requires 6 times the coding all for the net gain of Fearing a person in a different direction sometimes.

Sorry for being harsh OP. I didn’t mean to come off that way, I just wanted to point out what it would require to remain effectively similar.

You’re mistaking your assumptions for facts and are failing to properly perceive what a great beneifit changing Spectral Wall in such a way would be, and of course coming off as the only harsh person in this thread for no foreseeable reason.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

You realize that you started with “Literally all it would need,” and then gave a long list of things it would need.

This isn’t a list of things requiring hundreds of lines of code each, these are (or should be, I can’t say for certain if ANet’s code base is actually worse than what a mentally challenged monkey could do) simple checks. On creation, the “minion” would copy these qualities if the Necromancer had them (fairly simple to check a few qualities), and from that point on all it needs little.

If Riot can cut corners in every single ability they make by coding it as a minion, I think ANet can manage to code something as a minion with a few properties that are already in the game.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

ZeftheWicked.3076

I don’t even understand how the argument “they can’t code it” even appeared in the first place. I’m here giving an idea. Wheather a-net can or cannot code it, shouldn’t that be a-net’s concern and no one else’s?

in Necromancer

meow one twenty.4376

You’re mistaking your assumptions for facts and are failing to properly perceive what a great beneifit changing Spectral Wall in such a way would be, and of course coming off as the only harsh person in this thread for no foreseeable reason.

Did you just bring up me being harsh after I apologized for being harsh? That’s very strange of you. The assumptions I listed are interestingly almost exactly the same as Bawb said. In order for the Fear to be directed 180 degrees from the wall the wall has to become the source (unless, as I said before, they decide to make Fear turn 180 degrees from something that is not the source). In order for the Fear from the wall to be the same as the Fear from us, the wall has to receive all the same benefits we do. It’s not as simple as just a Minion either, because Minions do not (currently) copy stats from their masters. It’s not difficult to make all this happen, but it is a revamp, not a balance change.

Also, both methods of determining Fear direction have very distinct advantages. It’s hard to say one is so much better than the other that is worth a revamp (the point of my posts).

You realize that you started with “Literally all it would need,” and then gave a long list of things it would need.

This isn’t a list of things requiring hundreds of lines of code each, these are (or should be, I can’t say for certain if ANet’s code base is actually worse than what a mentally challenged monkey could do) simple checks. On creation, the “minion” would copy these qualities if the Necromancer had them (fairly simple to check a few qualities), and from that point on all it needs little.

If Riot can cut corners in every single ability they make by coding it as a minion, I think ANet can manage to code something as a minion with a few properties that are already in the game.

First of all, I would love to see a Spectral Wall be turned into a Moa if it was changed to a minion. This would be the only minion that copied stats from the user instead of having predetermined stats I think? And that also brings up my questions about whether it can receive Might, and whether or not it would have to be given health.

Second, by 6 times more code I was referring strictly to Fear potency determination coding, considering that is about all I’ve been talking about.

Lastly, my quoting of you was referring to the inaccuracy of using the words, “Literally all it would need to do is be its own entity,” because you followed that up by adding a list of other things it would need (that looked oddly familiar to my first post).

I don’t even understand how the argument “they can’t code it” even appeared in the first place. I’m here giving an idea. Wheather a-net can or cannot code it, shouldn’t that be a-net’s concern and no one else’s?

No one said they can’t code it. Here’s what I said and I’m sticking to it…

It just seems like a lot of work for not a big deal.

You guys are trying to make me look bad for no reason. All I’ve done is pointed out what problems have to be solved in order for this to happen and mentioned my opinion that I don’t think this is something that deserves as much attention as it requires right now. As my previous apology should have come across, I was sorry for getting in the way of your little circle-jerk. Now, not so much.