QoL Change: Show CDs While in DS

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

I just thought of this when seeing that my weapon swap CD was shown while in DS. I know I’m not the first person to say this but why not bring it up again: what about showing your heal/utility/elite skill CDs while in DS. They’d still be unusable, but you’d at least be able to know exact when things come off CD (allowing you to make better decisions, especially with your heal).

The one big issue I see with this is the way that DS is coded, but I think they could work around that fairly easily by taking a “snapshot” of the CDs right as you go in, and then displaying your CDs from there (since Necros don’t have anything special that’d really affect the CDs).

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: flow.6043

flow.6043

I’ve seen this suggestion quite a few times by now, and yes, it would be a really nice QoL upgrade.

There could be one issue though. The UI would easily allow for the utility cds to be displayed because all it shows currently is a locked skill. But what about the regular weapon cds? Or the shroud cds while you’re not in DS? Should any class generally be able to see any weapon skill cd while they’re on a different set?
Of course, all of this would be nice but at the risk of cluttering your UI, especially if you’re playing ele or engi with a lot of kits. Should necro utility skills get “special treatment” just because the UI space is there and unused?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

I’ve seen this suggestion quite a few times by now, and yes, it would be a really nice QoL upgrade.

There could be one issue though. The UI would easily allow for the utility cds to be displayed because all it shows currently is a locked skill. But what about the regular weapon cds? Or the shroud cds while you’re not in DS? Should any class generally be able to see any weapon skill cd while they’re on a different set?
Of course, all of this would be nice but at the risk of cluttering your UI, especially if you’re playing ele or engi with a lot of kits. Should necro utility skills get “special treatment” just because the UI space is there and unused?

Well there are 2 points to that: a) weapon swapping in DS should come back, it was gameplay nuance removed for the sake of removing it instead of actual balance or functionality reasons b) (something which would if they added like 1 seconds each make spiteful spirit and foot in the grave on par to similar taits) If DS actually triggered its cooldown how the skill suggests instead of on exit (remember, only the on entry one has a cooldown display and when kicked out of DS via 0 life force it remains on entry cooldown), the weapon and DS cooldowns wouldnt be a issue and treated the same as weapon/kit changes, thus not shown for balance reasons.

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Scarran.9845

Scarran.9845

I just thought of this when seeing that my weapon swap CD was shown while in DS. I know I’m not the first person to say this but why not bring it up again: what about showing your heal/utility/elite skill CDs while in DS. They’d still be unusable, but you’d at least be able to know exact when things come off CD (allowing you to make better decisions, especially with your heal).

The one big issue I see with this is the way that DS is coded, but I think they could work around that fairly easily by taking a “snapshot” of the CDs right as you go in, and then displaying your CDs from there (since Necros don’t have anything special that’d really affect the CDs).

This is definitely something that I would like to see as I can’t think of any other class whose main mechanic hides their utility bar so they cannot see what there cooldowns are and manage the situation accordingly.

Right now if you want to make sure you do not exit too soon you’re stuck with the 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3 Mississippi mechanic of counting in your head or just dumb luck you timed it right. There are times if i’d known that certain utility skills were still on cooldown I would not have exited DS quite as early.

Axere – lvl 80 Necro
Nemmeister – lvl 80 Engineer
Jay Knot – lvl 80 Warrior | Rusty Colt – lvl 80 Thief

in Necromancer

Posted by: manveruppd.7601

manveruppd.7601

Yes please, that would be nice!

And off-topic, but another good QOL chance would be: don’t replace your health bar with your Life Force in the party window when you enter DS. A lot of times when I’m pvping and I enter DS with only a little life force left a teammate will see it and shout “DUDE YOU GOING DOWN??” because at a glance that shade of green isn’t that distinguishable from the brownish shade of red they use for HP, especially if you’re colourblind. Just show HP in the party window at all times.

A bad necromancer always blames the corpse.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rennoko.5731

Rennoko.5731

And off-topic, but another good QOL chance would be: don’t replace your health bar with your Life Force in the party window when you enter DS. A lot of times when I’m pvping and I enter DS with only a little life force left a teammate will see it and shout “DUDE YOU GOING DOWN??” because at a glance that shade of green isn’t that distinguishable from the brownish shade of red they use for HP, especially if you’re colourblind. Just show HP in the party window at all times.

I hate the health bar change…. why would my team care at all about my DS bar? considering I could leave at any time, it could jump up or down at anytime without warning.

Simple change:

Normal Bar goes reflects current HP, not current DS. Bar turns GREEN while in DS, but still reflects current HP. Now people can see when you are in DS without being able to see you on screen through a particle storm, they can know when a heal will go through on you, how dire your need for a heal is, they can call out for you to DROP OUT of DS to get a heal… and so on….

So yeah, basically what you said ^^

in Necromancer

Andele.1306

I hate the health bar change…. why would my team care at all about my DS bar? considering I could leave at any time, it could jump up or down at anytime without warning.

Simple change:

Normal Bar goes reflects current HP, not current DS. Bar turns GREEN while in DS, but still reflects current HP. Now people can see when you are in DS without being able to see you on screen through a particle storm, they can know when a heal will go through on you, how dire your need for a heal is, they can call out for you to DROP OUT of DS to get a heal… and so on….

So yeah, basically what you said ^^

Or they could actually improve the UI to reflect stuff like elite cooldown, heal cooldown, DS/attunements/virtues/burst skills, etc if the player allows (as in checkbox for what you wanna share with your team on the ui).

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

No weapon CDs or anything like that, just like every other profession. It’d just finally act more like a weapon kit/attunement, where you can always see the CDs of swapping, and CD of utility skills, but not anything else. It’d just basically line us up with what is normally done.

Well there are 2 points to that: a) weapon swapping in DS should come back, it was gameplay nuance removed for the sake of removing it instead of actual balance or functionality reasons

a) It wasn’t removed “just for funsies”, it was a bug that they figured… eh screw it we’ll leave it in. They literally just accidentally broke DS and then decided to not change it.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Andele.1306

a) It wasn’t removed “just for funsies”, it was a bug that they figured… eh screw it we’ll leave it in. They literally just accidentally broke DS and then decided to not change it.

Except that you can see from the earliest cases of DS being the current transform DS, that weapon swapping was a option (way back from 2012), thus not being a bug (the demo releases/technically vertical slices were polished out of bugs), nor was it ever mentioned as such by devs.
Tho yes they just decided not to fix it back when they went bonkers.

Edit: you could have just said, remember devs for necro balance/fixes are lazy if you ment why it went away.

(edited by Andele.1306)

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

Except that you can see from the earliest cases of DS being the current transform DS, that weapon swapping was a option (way back from 2012), thus not being a bug (the demo releases/technically vertical slices were polished out of bugs), nor was it ever mentioned as such by devs.
Tho yes they just decided not to fix it back when they went bonkers.

No, the loss of weapon swapping was a bug. The patch where that happened, ANet (as has happened in other situations) screwed up something in the code that made DS lose the ability to swap weapons. The bug is the loss of swapping weapons, and they just decided (for whatever reason) to not fix it.

My PvP Minion Build