Question about Reaper for a new character

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dravyn.4671

Dravyn.4671

Haven’t played in a long while, thinking about coming back and picking up HoT because Reaper looks flat out amazing. But I haven’t played in so long that I’d more than likely be starting over.

Now, my question is, how soon can you start playing as a Reaper, if you made a level 1 necro and leveled it up through pve? Can you become a Reaper before level 80?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Haven’t played in a long while, thinking about coming back and picking up HoT because Reaper looks flat out amazing. But I haven’t played in so long that I’d more than likely be starting over.

Now, my question is, how soon can you start playing as a Reaper, if you made a level 1 necro and leveled it up through pve? Can you become a Reaper before level 80?

All elite specs are locked until you’re level 80.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Dravyn.4671

How unfortunate.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

How unfortunate.

Not really, since it’s meant to be further advancement. Necromancer is overall in a pretty good spot right now and is pretty fun to level up. Unlike, say, Mesmer, Necros perform at a decent level without much unlocked.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Dravyn.4671

I say its unfortunate because the only weapon I like on Necro is staff, the rest of them don’t really appeal to me for appearance or animations. Greatsword looks pretty awesome (and the Reaper specialization look amazing), but I don’t like having to wait until 80 to be able to use it.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sheobix.8796

Sheobix.8796

I say its unfortunate because the only weapon I like on Necro is staff, the rest of them don’t really appeal to me for appearance or animations. Greatsword looks pretty awesome (and the Reaper specialization look amazing), but I don’t like having to wait until 80 to be able to use it.

Necro is one of the classes that are fun to play and are pretty steady in their overpoweredness all the way to level 80. Once you get there, unlocking Reaper you’ll really notice that for PvE the only good thing it brings is Reaper shroud and shouts, and for PvP, just reaper shroud and reaper traits.

in Necromancer

Posted by: WilnerGW.3275

WilnerGW.3275

No, you need to level till 80 to use reaper’s features.

2 notes:

-It worth it to level till lvl 80. New HOT maps are amazing (looks like they came from a movie like Avatar or something). And you will need lvl 80 to enter this maps. So level your character and enjoy your reaper on new maps.

-You can go to SPVP lobby (heart of the mists) and test all features, once you get to lvl 2;

in Necromancer

Posted by: Teevell.1684

Teevell.1684

Reaper is elite spec, so you have to own HoT to use it at all.

And it’s good to level to level to 80 on a new class, so that way you actually learn how to play it, especially since you’ve been gone for a bit. Or you can just do sPvP where if you own HoT the elite spec will be unlocked, but you might have a hard time there at first if you’ve never played a necro before.

Tarnished Coast

in Necromancer

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

If it’s any consolation, leveling up to 80 is pretty easy these days and really shouldn’t take you too long, especially if you already have a character at level 80.

First, you’ll probably have a Birthday present or two to look forward to if your old character(s) are at least a year old, and those give an Experience Scroll that will bring a low-level character up to Level 20. Skipping those earliest levels really speeds things up.

Second, you’ll get at least 15% of a level just from doing your Dailies as well thanks to Writs of Experience (5% of a level each), and you can potentially get many more. You don’t even have to do those Dailies on your new character. You’ll also get 10 Tomes of Knowledge a month just from logging in (each of which gives a full level). I recommend saving those up for as long as you can wait since later levels take slightly longer to get than earlier levels.

Thirdly, if you unlock the “Follows Advice” Central Tyrian mastery with your level 80 character, you’ll be able to get another Tome of Knowledge per day by completing the Daily Adept Fractal (between scales 1 and 20). Those early Fractals are quite easy to complete and you’ll still get good rewards besides the Tome of Knowledge. Now, Follows Advice costs 650k XP, but you can get that by playing through a couple of meta-event chains in HoT or by grinding it out in about 20 minutes (without serious XP boosters) via a Citadel of Flame mastery farm group.

Fourthly, there’s a lot of XP to be had by finding a zerg running the Edge of the Mists WvW map and attacking what they attack.

Fifth, crafting technically gives good XP but it can also be very expensive. You’ll probably want to have a few crafting professions up to at least 400 (which isn’t that expensive)

And finally, you can still level up just by playing through the personal story and completing renown hearts in a decent clip of time.

I know getting to level 80 can seem daunting but there’s a lot of ways to speed it up and a lot of content to distract yourself with along the way. Reaper costs quite a lot of Hero Points anyway so you may want to spend your time combing the Central Tyrian maps for Hero Point challenges to give yourself a head start once you hit level 80.

Necro is one of the classes that are fun to play and are pretty steady in their overpoweredness all the way to level 80. Once you get there, unlocking Reaper you’ll really notice that for PvE the only good thing it brings is Reaper shroud and shouts, and for PvP, just reaper shroud and reaper traits.

Now now, the Greatsword is actually quite good in PvE as well. It’s arguably too slow for PvP, but Gravedigger spam against bosses in PvE is extremely effective.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Druitt.7629

Druitt.7629

I recently leveled another class to 60 or so by using the instant-level-20 birthday scroll plus tomes of knowledge that I’d been banking. (Make sure to login every day, even if for only a few minutes. You need to login — or be on — around 24 hours after the previous login to get the daily chest.) In addition, on each character’s birthday you get a potion that boosts XP, etc, for 24 playing hours and you can bank these.

If you rush to 80, I can’t remember how many skill points you’ll have, but it’s not enough to unlock all Reaper skills. I’m pretty sure it’s enough to unlock Reaper, though. Once you’re 80, the new areas’ hero points grant 10 points each, so you can make pretty good progress there.

In terms of aesthetics, you may not like the Reaper’s scythe, and you ought to get used to (and prefer) the Axe/Focus rather than the staff, in my opinion.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

(Make sure to login every day, even if for only a few minutes. You need to login — or be on — around 24 hours after the previous login to get the daily chest.)

To be precise, you have to login before the daily reset each day, which is currently at 7pm EST/10pm PST. If you login at 6:59pm EST and stay until the clock hits 7pm, you’ll get the login rewards for both days.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

in Necromancer

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I absolutely hate the core necro/death shroud. I understand the OP with the aesthetics as well.

Reaper imho is the single-most redeeming factor of the expansion. The rest of the game would have been better off without it. I spent the $50 on HoT exclusively for this spec because it is that much fun to play. Despite putting a massive amount of effort into my thieves and being a thief at heart, the Reaper pretty much became my favorite character to play overnight and is one that I consistently bring to most game modes over all others (I have 16 characters).

I had to tome my necro to 80, though. I absolutely couldn’t stand leveling core necromancer after like level 20. Too slow and too clunky for me. If you don’t have tomes, I’d suggest taking your time to level another profession and saving the log-in rewards of Tomes of Knowledge. It’s like 10 per month which means it can take a while, but if you do crafting on the necro + every so often a bit of leveling + tomes, you’ll get there pretty quick.