Raw DPS: Axe or Dagger?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Domzz.1260

Domzz.1260

Wondering which weapon dishes out max the max DPS, period.

I’m not interested in survivability or range or DPS — if there are numbers somewhere — I know that the Axe deals the highest NUMBERS with Ghastly Claws — but which deals the highest damage / second over say a 10 second time span?

Thanks !

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Dagger gives the highest dps of all weapons including ds, if you can stay in melee forever.

I find the damage of axe rather terrible. It may be good for vulnerable stacking but necros have so many other options for that (traits,focus 4, well of suffereng etc).

in Necromancer

Posted by: PSILO.4068

PSILO.4068

Dagger gives the highest dps of all weapons including ds, if you can stay in melee forever.

I find the damage of axe rather terrible. It may be good for vulnerable stacking but necros have so many other options for that (traits,focus 4, well of suffereng etc).

Seriously? Have you ever used a necro?

Anyway, Spite VIII w/ axe always! In ten seconds w/ axe (3,2,1,1,1,1,1,1,2) = roughly 8k base not counting the crits, retaliation, or 10+% of vulnerability, or twice the life force dagger would give. Also axe compliments all the off hand weps better, at least that’s my opinion anyway.

With dagger you typically need to land #3 to maximize #2 (which is slower, weaker, and longer cd than axe 2)then just 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1 and hope it chains =8k maybe, no retal, no vul. But you got healed for like 800, so it’s cool, right?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Evo Sapien.5298

Evo Sapien.5298

Anyway, Spite VIII w/ axe always! In ten seconds w/ axe (3,2,1,1,1,1,1,1,2) = roughly 8k base not counting the crits, retaliation, or 10+% of vulnerability, or twice the life force dagger would give. Also axe compliments all the off hand weps better, at least that’s my opinion anyway.

With dagger you typically need to land #3 to maximize #2 (which is slower, weaker, and longer cd than axe 2)then just 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1 and hope it chains =8k maybe, no retal, no vul. But you got healed for like 800, so it’s cool, right?

Have you ever played a necromancer? Using dagger 2 in a raw dps rotation? Moaning about how you hope dagger chains when all axe 2 damage can be avoided by running through the necromancer.
Biased opinion is biased. You’ve lost objectivity in favor of personal likes. And being kind of an kitten about it frankly.

in Necromancer

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

Dagger 1 is our highest dps lb is our second. I’m not sure where axe slots but
dagger> everything.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in Necromancer

Posted by: Pelopidas.2140

Pelopidas.2140

psilo. you are plain wrong.

dagger auto attack is the most dps(Damage Per Second). Just the auto attack in melee.

In gw2 its always melee damage>ranged damage (simple logic).

The answer Muchacho gave is correct. The axe auto att damage is indeed terrible, in my experience its better to use the axe trait+unyielding blast and shoot life blasts instead of axe auto attacking.
Also take a look at dagger 1, the life force regen, its higher than axe 2.
Also dagger 2 is a healing skill, you dont use it for damage.

Roam around the forums a little more, or play the game a little more, and then start posting. And asking people who play longer than you ‘’if they have ever used a necro’’…

in Necromancer

Posted by: PSILO.4068

PSILO.4068

or play the game a little more

I was just going on my experiences from 3k+ matches as a power necro. (6-x-x-x-6 type build)

I thought my description of the axe was pretty easy to understand and quite objective. As for melee > range. Is a range of 600 really a ranged weapon? I feel that it’s more like a melee with reach. And personally I think standing in 130 range with any other class that uses a lot of 130 range attacks is bad idea. (Think hammer, mace, greatswords, etc.) Think about how much thieves bounce around. That 600 is more valuable than the 130. And that +5 seconds of cripple from axe 3 that hits ‘em in stealth too, it’s pretty handy. As for axe 2, do you need to put forth some effort to position yourself and/or your oppent? Of course. Axe 2 vs Dag 2. Axe 2 has a shorter cd (cool down) a shorter cast time (like 30% shorter) and it hits harder especially with all the vulnerability you just put on your opponent that means it does more dps (that’s damage per second) than dagger 2. Also dagger 2 is just as easily interrupted/blocked as axe 2.

And I totally agree about a lb doing a ton of deeps (aka DPS aka damage per second) but death shroud doesn’t last for ever)

Maybe I will read the forums more. Because if I read it on the interwebs it must be true.

(edited by PSILO.4068)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Pelopidas.2140

Pelopidas.2140

i play power necro in pvp too. I prefer axe over dagger in pvp, but still dagger auto attack is more dps.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

I am playing necro since beta. Ok i may not the best necromancer but the question was purely about dps and in optimal conditions dagger has hands down the highest dps of all weaponsets+ ds. The only thing that gives higher dps is lich form but thats an elite so. And that is not only my opinion but also from a lot other peoples who also did the calculations…

in Necromancer

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Last I checked, ghastly claws with axe training is roughly equal to dagger DPS, but only as long as ghastly claws is channeling. Once the channel is done, you end up taking a drop to DPS.

This would be acceptable, if Axe did something more useful.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Swimsasa Stoon.8936

Swimsasa Stoon.8936

I’d say pure dps, scepter… with celestial I’ve had the auto attack crit for 1.6k + bleed + poison Then just apply more conditions and hit ’m with 3 gaining life force per condition.

But I figure you only meant direct damage disregarding the condis then I must agree with people, dagger is best dps but with a few traits I’d say Life Blast is the best. Have had it hit for 5k per hit, piercing + applies vulnerability.

in Necromancer

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

Trolololooololol

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in Necromancer

Posted by: Evo Sapien.5298

Evo Sapien.5298

I never said which I thought was better or tried to pretend I can do the math correctly as I am not a minmaxer. Just pointing some things out.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ravezaar.4951

Ravezaar.4951

DS > Dagger Axe even with VIII is behind also and this is important so much more un-reliable then Dagger.

Underjordens Furste 80 Necro Piken-server
Servant of Dhuum

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Dagger has the highest potential DPS, and generally the highest DPS in an actual fight. A large amount of this is that you can go 5 in Curses and have up to +24% damage from Target the Weak (obviously this isn’t realistic, but you can easily get quite a few of those in PvE). This is why you use dagger in coordinated PvE environments.

DS has higher DPS than dagger while you’re in DS and assuming that you aren’t in a group that is giving you things like fury and other buffs. This relies on you having a specific trait setup with Deathly Perception and LB traits.

Axe just doesn’t deal that good of DPS. It deals, at best, comparable damage to a fully traited Life Blast, and that is when Axe 2 is channeling.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Pregnantman.8259

Pregnantman.8259

I primarily use my Axe when I want fast life force without getting in range from the second skill, for the wonderful third skill and for its higher base damage (when traited) than dagger to camp in Death Shroud. It is never for the damage of Axe alone, as said by many of people here Dagger’s fast and hard hitting auto attack outweigh standart Axe rotation. I agree that Axe is not our best weapon for damage but it has good utilities – probably better than what Dagger has. Therefore while Dagger is the way to go for deeps, Axe is always a good on swap weapon; just like Greatsword for Guardians.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Xhean.3452

Xhean.3452

or play the game a little more

I was just going on my experiences from 3k+ matches as a power necro. (6-x-x-x-6 type build)

I thought my description of the axe was pretty easy to understand and quite objective. As for melee > range. Is a range of 600 really a ranged weapon? I feel that it’s more like a melee with reach. And personally I think standing in 130 range with any other class that uses a lot of 130 range attacks is bad idea. (Think hammer, mace, greatswords, etc.) Think about how much thieves bounce around. That 600 is more valuable than the 130. And that +5 seconds of cripple from axe 3 that hits ‘em in stealth too, it’s pretty handy. As for axe 2, do you need to put forth some effort to position yourself and/or your oppent? Of course. Axe 2 vs Dag 2. Axe 2 has a shorter cd (cool down) a shorter cast time (like 30% shorter) and it hits harder especially with all the vulnerability you just put on your opponent that means it does more dps (that’s damage per second) than dagger 2. Also dagger 2 is just as easily interrupted/blocked as axe 2.

And I totally agree about a lb doing a ton of deeps (aka DPS aka damage per second) but death shroud doesn’t last for ever)

Maybe I will read the forums more. Because if I read it on the interwebs it must be true.

Exactly everything you wrote is irrelevant, OP asked about best DPS, not if 600 range is better than 130, not if axe 2 hits for more than a healing skill (dagger2). While you’re reading the forums for more knowledge you might as well visit some other pages to get a better understanding of how to read sentences properly so you’ll answer to the actual question rather then preach about how awesome you think axe is.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Domzz.1260

Domzz.1260

Thank you VERY much guys, this was what I suspected.

And to the fool who asked me if I play Necromancer — the better question is if YOU play necromancer.