Reaper Changes for Next BWE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

We can wait and see, but i said it first, GS 1v1 viabillity goes against their current design philosofy, thus a liablility in 99% of the pvp encounters.

I was one of the people who pointed out damage was an issue in GS. The damage buff is a welcome change and I beleave makes the weapon viable in pvp.

The GS has good utility. Chill on auto, spike damage and whirl on gs2, LF and vuln stacking (plus a decent amount of life with a siphon build) on gs3, blind field and decent damage on gs4 blind is good for stomp interupt or on a downed target, pull on gs5 with a chill now so shorter range but I don’t give up a utility slot and since it’s an aoe pull also helps with stomp interupting.

I want to see where the damage is at come next beta like everyone else but I beleave the GS holds it’s own in the utility side of our weapons.

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

stuff

I can’t read worth kitten. It’s your fault.

#1: Foot in the Grave isn’t bad.

Yeah, I’ve used it so much in all the dungeons and fractal 50 runs I’ve done. How could I make such a silly mistake.

#2: Your entire premade build structure idea is flawed. I’m not sure anyone should bother taking reaper into a premade, because the utilities it offers are redundant and already covered by other classes. Since “trash” is irrelevant, greater cleave isn’t needed. You wouldn’t need shroud knight to stack might because you’ll already be capped. Shroud knight won’t stack vulnerability because you’re not taking Soul Reaping. So what is left? Decimate defense is nigh redundant, chilling force is redundant, blighters boon is useless, augury of death is useless, relentless pursuit is useless, chilling nova is too weak, the minors are all “bad traits”… that leaves Soul Eater, Reaper’s Onslaught, and Chill of Death. Soul Eater is meh at best, and Chill of Death is exclusive with Reaper’s Onslaught.

Yeah, who wouldn’t take soul reaping in pve. It’s not like a 5% damage modifier at the life force threshold is one of the few damage modifiers necro has, and death magic is so useful as an alternative if we’re not using Curses.

So, funny bit of trivia: the dagger auto attack outdamages reaper shroud’s auto attack, even with onslaught. The greatsword AA is only 0.66% (that is less than 1%) weaker than shroud auto with onslaught. Throw in signet of spite, and the gap widens. There’s only one reason that someone would use Shroud’s AA over the other weapons, and that is the might and vulnerability stacking from Spite and Soul Reaping respectively. Without soul reaping and with pre-capped might, there is no advantage to using Shroud AA. The only skill in reaper’s shroud that is higher than its AA is Executioner’s Scythe, which you’ll just pop in to and use every 30 seconds or so, which means onslaught contributes almost nothing to the skill. Regular Death Shroud already has a burst skill: Tainted Shackles. Its fast cast time means it has relatively high DPS, higher than Executioner’s Scythe at 25%+ health, before factoring in torment. This is also sacrificing the damage bonus from Weakening Shroud.

As it did Greatsword before the 20% buff to the greatsword skills and the 50% buff to Gravedigger. Who knew, a beta period introducing new features might have some of them undertuned that take feedback on simple numbers tweaking. Shocking.

Guess I should stop asking in my previous posts on this feedback thread to give reaper shroud the greatsword treatment. We can only fix one thing and that’s it!

But lets assume that we’re going to sacrifice all of the goodies in Curses for what is in Reaping.

And by “goodies” you mean weakening shroud, which you can’t flash effectively with reaper shroud thanks to the 1 sec icd, the also redundant fury on death shroud since you’ll have permafury from ele’s Persisting Flames, and Target The Weak.

Wow, I’m missing so much.

Yes, Decimate Defenses will cover for Target the Weak. You have to pick chilling force or reaper’s onslaught for damage. At maximum might, Deathly Chill will inflict 314 damage +50%, and 471 damage below it, for an average of 392 DPS. This can be tacked directly onto the greatsword auto, meaning 73% uptime until gravedigger spam. This isn’t including chilling nova, chill of death, or executioner’s scythe, which push the numbers up a bit, or any additional sources such as Icebow or whirl finishers. You can stop right here, since that extra 392 DPS is being tacked onto the sword, which given Signet of Spite is already more damaging than Onslaught Shroud.

392 DPS sounds just fantastic for a grandmaster. Let’s keep them that way.

I guess the short of this is, I don’t trust your judgement on what is “good” or “bad” at all.

The feeling’s kinda mutual.

#3: You’re not hypocritical. You’re inconsistent. I’m not sure if you’re talking about either under my changes or your changes or the current setup, and you change this up from point to point. Now, to talk about Dhuumfire, this is largely a PVP oriented issue, where Spite/Soul Reaping/Reaper will be frequently used. With this trait setup, a shroud focused build will be able to pick decimate defenses, reaper’s onslaught, and dhuumfire at the same time. This build isn’t overpowered, so the rantings about dhuumfire come from thin air.

Yeah, now I’m pretty sure you can’t read worth crap. Point to where in my posts I said dhuumfire was overpowered.

The rantings with dhuumfire come out from the fact that originally it was a 4 second burn on a 10 sec icd on crit. A necromancer could do his normal rotation and the burn would come in it, which was also good for condition necromancers since death shroud was pretty much garbage for them with life blast.

Thanks to spvp, it was nerfed in duration, then moved over to life blast with a shortened duration. It’s been like that, considerably quicker for most necromancer builds until the advent of reaper shroud auto. It’s still crappier than before since for condition necros it involves dropping their condition build up from scepter and go into death/reaper shroud to have access to burning, essentially trading their bleed/poison stack upkeep for burning upkeep.

I didn’t say it was OP. I said your “worry” that reaper with these announced changes would have to be reeled back would be a repeat of the mistakes made with Dhuumfire.

The end.

It is an unfortunate effect that my change will necessitate a swap, but this isn’t just a loss. You get to use Deathly Chill and blighters boon alongside of Onslaught instead of exclusive with it. You also can use Decimate Defenses with Soul Eater at the same time. The only issues that really prop up are when you are using a power focused Spite/SR/R shroud-focused build. If you aren’t using that particular playstyle, then there are already obvious choices to go for that either lose very little, or gain.

Which brings us again to my whole point, why swap? Why not buff what isn’t competing in the grandmaster tier? We have so many weak/niche traits, and your answer is to justify their status by swapping them around tiers.

You just said above, you’re not sure why anyone would bring a reaper to a meta premade. So make the kitten changes (aka buffs) on the deficient traits and weapons/shroud skills.

#4: Sigil of Night doesn’t always work. It is only good if you’re running specific dungeons, in which case general builds might as well go out the door. Besides, I suggested Sigil of Accuracy as a general example. There’s more than that. I balanced on the current stats of my necro, but it goes further than that. Calculating out a full zerker ascended with precise infusions, this sits at 56% crit chance. I also noticed that a sharpening stone is only a 2.7% damage increase at max might, so if I switch that out with a maintenance oil, that comes to a 61% crit rate, resting. So, add fury, 81%. Add banner, 89%. Add Target the Weak + 5 conditions, 99%.

Sigil of the night works in 5 of 9 dungeons and 5 out of 14 fractals. It’s not some niche scenario. Dungeon runners carry the mob-specific damage bonus sigils to swap in in entire stacks, they’re virtually dead cheap to replace.

In any other case you can also afford to take sigil of energy for more challenging fractals, given that necromancer’s lacking on vigor uptime and your only other choice is endurance regen+might on dodge food.

and you call them myopic, because god forbid a person who only plays PvE cares only for PvE balance, much like spvp and WvW folk do

That is the definition of myopic. Its actually worse than that. You’re talking about premade meta dungeon runs exclusively. What about overworld? What about casual runs? What about solo dungeon runs? But I digress: the reason why the devs and players are so focused around PVP balance is because it is actually a competition, with winners and losers. However, the devs and players are wrong in this. They should also be concerned about PVE as well. Them being wrong doesn’t give PVE players an excuse to be wrong themselves. That’s hypocrisy.

Of course I’m talking about premade dungeon runs in PvE exclusively. Are you under the delusion that overworld PvE is even balanced? It’s a zerg train, with little requirements for coordination or class make up. You can brute force most overworld PvE and even WvW with zergs.

That leaves us PVE dungeons and SPVP. You assume that we HAVE to make room for balancing that accommodates the formats. This is impossible, no side will be satisfied. You have one format in which we strive to do the most damage possible on mobs with tons of HP, and another format in which performance can be disrupted by opposing players who have at most 23k hp.

You can’t come up with solutions on damage output when the hp pools and behaviors of both formats are so vastly different. The mesmer’s design is a prime example of this. Seemingly great burst in spvp, and sustained damage is not so important there when you burst can do 80% of most opponent’s hp. The mesmer’s wimpy autoattacks and blurred frenzy damage are of no issue there. meanwhile in PvE, the amazing mind wrack burst is not so amazing, greatsword (and the nerfed mirror blade bounce) is not used at all, and mesmer is one of the lowest damage classes in need of damage buffs.

So split the balancing. World of Warcraft is doing that this very expansion, a PvP exclusive skillset with its own balance concerns.

And WoW is LATE to the party. GW1 already did this so many years ago, and to good effect. GW2 is a pale shadow of what people came up with in GW1, because the formats were allowed to flourish on their own without strangling each other.

The very reason mesmer/ranger/necro are where they are, is the constant struggle between spvp balancing and PvE. Spirits for rangers have always been inferior warrior banners that can be killed, but they were nerfed even more for the sake of spvp that complained about spirit rangers until they were nerfed out of the meta.

Split the formats already. I’m not being myopic, I want to enjoy my format with some semblance of PvE class balance after 3 years of waiting.

#6: Thus, my main complaint with your suggestion regarding moving around Soul Eater is that you aren’t trying to create a balanced trait line. You’re shoving personally inconvenient traits into obscure places to let them die, and not even thinking about what it might do to other game modes.

They wouldn’t be dying if they were actually worth taking. Look at Chronomancer, most of them are actually tough decisions because you WANT many of them. Because they’re good, not just “OK”.

#7: I’ll admit I misread what you meant about the shout. When you said “it becomes terrible”, you were referring to Augury of Death in regards to the bonus it gives to the healing shout. I thought you meant the heal as a whole becomes terrible even with Augury of Death.

Finally. This has been the core problem of the shouts, they are balanced in a way that makes them immediately discarded in PvE.

Let’s not fool ourselves, necromancer utility options in WvW and spvp are vast. People use wells, epidemic, corrupt boon, spectral wall, flesh wurm. And now maybe even shouts (most of them won’t be used in PvE since the benefits don’t scale weel with bosses and said benefits are selfishly defensive in nature).

Shouts were our opportunity to bring something to a group in PvE and bosses in particular outside wells, and they made ours SELFISH; they in general do less than the Tempest shouts, which are instant, provide group benefits, and in the case of feel the burn actually do more damage than any of our shouts with their silly cast times for some reason.

Lich Form was marginally useful in PvE, and it was NERFED for spvp’s sake, without fixing the useless skills outside the autoattack.

This is what drives PvE Necromancers mad, that few of our feedback about the class’s lackings in PvE were addressed. The greatsword changes signal a good direction, but our traits, utilities, and reaper shroud need rethinking to accommodate PvE concerns. And utilities like shouts and related traits like augury of death/reaper’s pursuit do nothing, as does the specialization’s focus on chill when chill isn’t even an attractive condition in PvE.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

Dhuumfire was originally available outside of shroud? blink ohhhhhh, so that’s what I’ve heard people referring to wrt when it was considered op.

in Necromancer

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

People get a room, stop ruining this thread.

I Geelive.

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

People get a room, stop ruining this thread.

I Geelive.

People, even if having a heated discussion, are discussing the merits of traits/utilities/weapons, and offering suggestions for them.

And all you have to contribute to this thread is “I Geelieve”. There’s a Robert Gee appeciation thread over at the mesmer forums or you can start one right here, but this thread is to discuss the Reaper.

in Necromancer

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

There’s a way to give suggestions, ideas, and comments. Other threads did this already with much better formatted and well thought out posts. And the proposed changes here prove the other threads have worked. These large, multi-quotes replies, with sarcastic comments & personal rants injected into them… they don’t help and are likely skipped by the devs.

in Necromancer

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

There’s a way to give suggestions, ideas, and comments. Other threads did this already with much better formatted and well thought out posts. And the proposed changes here prove the other threads have worked. These large, multi-quotes replies, with sarcastic comments & personal rants injected into them… they don’t help and are likely skipped by the devs.

Agreed, and all it does is drown out and submerge the actually good and needed feedback, making it harder to get the dev’s what they need to hear. And then you have people who don’t understand the Profession design at all and think we should have great mobility.

At the same time one shouldn’t be too praiseworthy, but that’s another discussion. Bottom line is Robert did listen to our feedback, and is trying to push these and other changes through to get us where we’re supposed to be, and the fact he’s even telling us these potential changes is a huge step forward compared to us having to wait and hope each patch.

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

But lets assume that we’re going to sacrifice all of the goodies in Curses for what is in Reaping.

And by “goodies” you mean weakening shroud, which you can’t flash effectively with reaper shroud thanks to the 1 sec icd

I think this sums up the problem with talking to you in the most succinct manner.. You don’t realize when you’ve made an obvious logic error. You’re also moving the goalposts, changing the topics and dodging questions. Communication with you is nigh impossible. Right now, the greatest argument against you is yourself.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dietzen.6127

Dietzen.6127

With the upcoming trait changes, which are awesome btw, is there a chance of getting news on existing weapons? I still feel the focus (especially #5) needs some love.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

I really dislike RS proccing energy sigil.

- It messes up the sigil cooldown, normally you know it will proc when you swap weapons.
- It doesn’t feel like saving me – my LF degenerates anyway, I prefer having the extra dodge saving my health pool, not my LF.
- It makes energy sigil useless when using flashing builds.

My suggestion is to bring back weapon swap during RS/DS, it would give everyone CONTROL over the energy sigil, that is the most important in my opinion.

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

TBH they should change energy sigils to grant you a stack that makes it so your next dodge consumes no endurance. That way with RS you can bank that effect without overcapping endurance.

in Necromancer

Sublimatio.6981

Yeah thats also a great suggestion

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ravezaar.4951

Ravezaar.4951

These Reaper changes will we be able to test them in next BWE ? otherwise Feedback will just be repetiton and pointless, cause I heard some worrying stuff on PoI yesterday that we wont. Hope i heard wrong, really wanna test GS changes and see if has improved

Underjordens Furste 80 Necro Piken-server
Servant of Dhuum

in Necromancer

Sublimatio.6981

of course yes

in Necromancer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

They were talking about berserker being locked in. Obviously it would be pointless to lock the same version of reaper in 2 betas in a row.

in Necromancer

Ravezaar.4951

yea I miss heard them, I guess they said Berserker… maybe we have BWE next weekend due to its PaX like we had in sync with Gamescom ? Hope so

Servant of Dhuum

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Scepter needs life force generation on Aa.
An alternative MH weapon to scepter for close range condition damage is desired.

Corruption utilities need LF generation and are still highly diverse and situational. Consider adding something to Master of Corruption to strengthen their effect depending upon how many utilities are slotted.

Spectral utilities could use a heal, a revisit to Lich skills like adding AoE protect, and Grasp has difficulty with terrain and long distance connection rates.

(edited by Anchoku.8142)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dakunaito.9602

Dakunaito.9602

so the cd of Chilling Nova will be decreased to 10s ICD, while Berserker has same trait with only 2sec ICD and does x2 dmg(300+ vs 680+). are you joking in front of our faces? our elite has 120s cd while Berserker’s 20s? this unbalance is over 9000!!!

“shouts are weak” and you decrease the 700-800dmg of Suffer while Berserker has utility that does ~1600 dmg and always crit? Berserker was supposed to be faster than Reaper but don’t do high dmg, but as it seems it’s faster than Reaper and does higher dmg. hahahaha

in Necromancer

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

Numbers are not final. Reaper has been through a round of tweaks where Berserker has not. It’s entirely possible (perhaps likely) that Berserker will get toned down somewhat after the BWE.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sigmoid.7082

Sigmoid.7082

The reason i can see for the different ICD’s for those skills is aoe chill as a condition is arguably a lot stronger than of one stack of aoe burn. Also you cant compare the two traits in a vacuum. You have to look at the class as a whole and see where the trait fits in.

(edited by Sigmoid.7082)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Comparing traits in a vacuum lead to Dumbfire making our class so OP we could kill bunkers with nothing more than 900 range AA spam.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: ZDragon.3046

ZDragon.3046

The reason i can see for the different ICD’s for those skills is aoe chill as a condition is arguably a lot stronger than of one stack of aoe burn. Also you cant compare the two traits in a vacuum. You have to look at the class as a whole and see where the trait fits in.

Except for the part where burn can be spam applied and you wont feel punished for burning a cooldown to apply it.

There are not many free traits people can use to remove burning

vs

Most chilling skills have high cooldowns so if you use it and a foe cleanses it you cant reapply it so easily.

Almost every profession has a trait that reduces chills duration or flat out removes it with ease.

If anything the ICD’s should be swapped or the same = to each other. Chill will be cleansed and you have to blow another big cooldown to reapply it.
Burning will be cleansed and instantly re applied because of how many low cd burn skills there are. I doubt chilled damage from that grand master trait was boosted enough for it to feel impactful if you manage to apply it.

in Necromancer

Sigmoid.7082

Im of a different mind because of how easy it should be to reapply chill as a reaper as of next beta weekend. going to test it out and see but for the time being still of the opinion comparing chill to burn chill is still the stronger condition.

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

Im of a different mind because of how easy it should be to reapply chill as a reaper as of next beta weekend. going to test it out and see but for the time being still of the opinion comparing chill to burn chill is still the stronger condition.

…..maybe in PvP. In PvE chill is by far the inferior condition.

in Necromancer

Sigmoid.7082

They were looking at chill having some impact on the break bar last i heard.

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

No. They were looking at TRAITS with trigger conditions (such as x on interrupt, x on chill) to make them work on bosses since interrupts are not counted against defiance bars. In the case of chill bosses have reduced condition duration and some of them even bring clears, so they want traits based on chill use to work against bosses.

But that does not mean chill becomes useful unless a boss needs to be kited and nobody can melee him or they die (in which case the reaper is screwed as a purely melee spec), or whether the boss functions a lot on ability cooldowns that chill does affect.

Unfortunately the reaper isn’t even the best at chill. That honor would go to an elementalist.

in Necromancer

Sigmoid.7082

No. They were looking at TRAITS with trigger conditions (such as x on interrupt, x on chill) to make them work on bosses since interrupts are not counted against defiance bars. In the case of chill bosses have reduced condition duration and some of them even bring clears, so they want traits based on chill use to work against bosses.

But that does not mean chill becomes useful unless a boss needs to be kited and nobody can melee him or they die (in which case the reaper is screwed as a purely melee spec), or whether the boss functions a lot on ability cooldowns that chill does affect.

Unfortunately the reaper isn’t even the best at chill. That honor would go to an elementalist.

Of right fair enough then but i would disagree that reaper has less chill than elementalist.

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

frozen ground+ frost aura for the group ensures plenty of chill stacking. You then have the glyph and frostbow and then you can use the flash freeze shout for another round of chill plus another round of group frost aura.

The reaper can probably sustain chill on a single target better in the long run, but in terms of bursting large chill applications and aoe chill, the ele is far better.

in Necromancer

spoj.9672

Of right fair enough then but i would disagree that reaper has less chill than elementalist.

Its true though.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Frozen_Ground
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Frost_Fan
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Glyph_of_Storms
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Glyph_of_Elemental_Power
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Glyph_of_Lesser_Elementals

Not a widely used skill but glyph of elemental power does almost permanent chill uptime for its duration. And it only has 15 second down time. So if eles really want they can easily perma chill. But usually frozen ground and ice bow is enough to perma chill. Especially when you have 2 or more eles in a group.

(edited by spoj.9672)

in Necromancer

Sigmoid.7082

frozen ground+ frost aura for the group ensures plenty of chill stacking. You then have the glyph and frostbow and then you can use the flash freeze shout for another round of chill plus another round of group frost aura.

The reaper can probably sustain chill on a single target better in the long run, but in terms of bursting large chill applications and aoe chill, the ele is far better.

Frost aura is on dagger and frozen ground is on staff, cant have both. Also if you did go dagger and too powerful aura would mean no cleansing water. Flash freeze is a thing i guess. Glyph, frost bow and flash freeze is all utilities gone. No room for anything else then. Frost fan caps at 5s because of stack limit as well. Only GoEP has potential while not crippling your build.

Only aoe frost aura is a thing. The others arent so much. Reaper has a base 20% duration as well. Got aoe chill on staff #3 and staff #5, Directional on GS #5 and on GS 1.C auto. RS #5 also provides aoe chill as well and can be comboed with #4 for more aoe chill, also RS #3.B terrify is aoe chill. Then utility wise you have suffer and CttB both more aoe chill. Still two utility slots left.

If you then throw in traits then chilling dark RS #2 becomes aoe chill as does GS #4 for more aoe chill all it procs on all targets. . Also chilling nova for even more aoe chill.

Most of these also have higher duration then ele chills, especially due to the innate 20% as well. Since chill also only stacks up to 5 times you can have longer chill output.

(edited by Sigmoid.7082)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Its true though.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Frozen_Ground
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Frost_Fan
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Glyph_of_Storms
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Glyph_of_Elemental_Power
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Glyph_of_Lesser_Elementals

Not a widely used skill but glyph of elemental power does almost permanent chill uptime for its duration. And it only has 15 second down time. So if eles really want they can easily perma chill. But usually frozen ground and ice bow is enough to perma chill. Especially when you have 2 or more eles in a group.

I dont think getting perma chill on enemies without condiremovel is that difficult for reaper ether.

I am sure if condi removel is involved reaper will better with chill since he has more chill sources.

Also reaper get more benefits out of chill (might, LF, damage reduction).

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

You don’t need Reaper to get perma chill on someone that doesn’t remove condis.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

Frost aura is on dagger and frozen ground is on staff, cant have both. Also if you did go dagger and too powerful aura would mean no cleansing water. Flash freeze is a thing i guess. Glyph, frost bow and flash freeze is all utilities gone. No room for anything else then. Frost fan caps at 5s because of stack limit as well. Only GoEP has potential while not crippling your build.

Only aoe frost aura is a thing. The others arent so much. Reaper has a base 20% duration as well. Got aoe chill on staff #3 and staff #5, Directional on GS #5 and on GS 1.C auto. RS #5 also provides aoe chill as well and can be comboed with #4 for more aoe chill, also RS #3.B terrify is aoe chill. Then utility wise you have suffer and CttB both more aoe chill. Still two utility slots left.

If you then throw in traits then chilling dark RS #2 becomes aoe chill as does GS #4 for more aoe chill all it procs on all targets. . Also chilling nova for even more aoe chill.

Most of these also have higher duration then ele chills, especially due to the innate 20% as well. Since chill also only stacks up to 5 times you can have longer chill output.

Frozen ground creates a field that you can blast to get frost aura. It’s not just on dagger when any team comp has ample access to blasts.

Luckily in our scenario ele already uses frost bow and glyph of storms in their meta build, and the third slot is optional so glyph of elemental power is actually a thing if you need chill. Nothing that actually cripples their build because two of the mentioned utilities are already used.

I mean, you just mentioned destroying builds with certain choices and yet you include necro staff, a garbage weapon, into the factor. Or Infusing Terror which you never want to use in pve as spreading mobs with aoe fear is a really bad idea.

And of all the skills you mentioned, you’re performing all those at a DPSloss to stack chill. All an ele needs to press is frozen ground+glyph of storms and switch to his normal fire rotation while the other chills and auras are applied with mere blasts or instant shouts. Your reaper needs to cycle through several lower DPS skills to apply them. Most of them conal skills not wide aoe’s.

As usual, more work for lesser results.

in Necromancer

Sigmoid.7082

Frozen ground creates a field that you can blast to get frost aura. It’s not just on dagger when any team comp has ample access to blasts.

Luckily in our scenario ele already uses frost bow and glyph of storms in their meta build, and the third slot is optional so glyph of elemental power is actually a thing if you need chill. Nothing that actually cripples their build because two of the mentioned utilities are already used.

I mean, you just mentioned destroying builds with certain choices and yet you include necro staff, a garbage weapon, into the factor. Or Infusing Terror which you never want to use in pve as spreading mobs with aoe fear is a really bad idea.

And of all the skills you mentioned, you’re performing all those at a DPSloss to stack chill. All an ele needs to press is frozen ground+glyph of storms and switch to his normal fire rotation while the other chills and auras are applied with mere blasts or instant shouts. Your reaper needs to cycle through several lower DPS skills to apply them. Most of them conal skills not wide aoe’s.

As usual, more work for lesser results.

Im not on about pve though. Sorry if that wasnt clear.

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

Ah ok ;p. Though in pvp I’d argue frost aura is an even stronger asset.

in Necromancer

spoj.9672

Even in PvE reapers chill access was terrible in the first beta. It was non existent while i was duoing the risen abom in arah p2 with a friend. The only time chill was up for a bit was after an executioners scythe. After that it dropped and you never saw it again. The dodging, moving and using other skills would interrupt the auto chain so you literally only had the one high cool down source of chill. And even if you got the final auto atk chain to hit the chill would last so little time it was negligible.

You had better and more reliable chill access just by spamming dark path on base necro. So yes Reaper chill needs a serious look at. But Robert mentioned that they are aware of that. So hopefully they will do enough. We will see next weekend though.

(edited by spoj.9672)

in Necromancer

Sigmoid.7082

Even in PvE reapers chill access was terrible in the first beta. It was non existent while i was duoing the risen abom in arah p2 with a friend. The only time chill was up for a bit was after an executioners scythe. After that it dropped and you never saw it again. The dodging, moving and using other skills would interrupt the auto chain so you literally only had the one high cool down source of chill. And even if you got the final auto atk chain to hit the chill would last so little time it was negligible.

You had better and more reliable chill access just by spamming dark path on base necro. So yes Reaper chill needs a serious look at. But Robert mentioned that they are aware of that. So hopefully they will do enough. We will see next weekend though.

Judging by the changes to base duration, duration increase % , cast times and reliability of landing the chill next weekend should feel significantly better in all game modes. Im personally hoping to finally see if RS#2 with its new tracking and GS#4 with its better cast time are worth the nerf they caused to chilling dark.

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

Ah ok ;p. Though in pvp I’d argue frost aura is an even stronger asset.

Yeah true but reaper also have easy access to frost aura. Just use executioner scythe+ deaths charge.

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

I hope they transfer the projectile absorb, make it a reflect, and move it to Soul Spiral. A less than 1 second duration charge is pretty weak as far as absorbs go, you need sustained projectile defense not a 1-2 second duration put on a leap that displaces you and doesn’t protect you from more than 1-2 projectiles.

I mean, they had the same issue with the dragonhunter deflecting arrow.

in Necromancer

Posted by: ODB.6891

ODB.6891

Judging by the changes to base duration, duration increase % , cast times and reliability of landing the chill next weekend should feel significantly better in all game modes. Im personally hoping to finally see if RS#2 with its new tracking and GS#4 with its better cast time are worth the nerf they caused to chilling dark.

The duration increase in cold shoulder is misleading. While 20% duration increase looks great on paper, you have to realize that 20% of 2 seconds is still trash. That’s less than half a second duration increase! When the overwhelming majority of our skills have cast times and the majority of our skills do not apply chill…that still means our chill up time is going to be trash. Combine that with the fact that reaper is highly based around the presence of the chill condition…that bodes ill for us in the very content that the reaper was created to give us a place in…instanced pve.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

1. Reaper wasn’t created to give us a place in PvE, in fact Gee was very specific that it shouldn’t be tied to an elite spec.
  2. Only our traits rely on chill being on the enemy to have an effect, and 3/4 of them are major so you’d only take them with proper chill application.
  3. Reaper has 6 ways to apply chill, hardly bad, and only Fear->Chill isn’t necessarily AoE, though almost all our Fear is AoE
  4. 20% Chill duration is 20% more chill, period. It doesn’t matter if it is applied over 2s applications or 20s ones, it is a 20% boost to a profession that has a lot of chill.

Fact is Reaper doesn’t really depend that heavily on chill, and in any build where the chill would be important you could very easily deal with it.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: ODB.6891

ODB.6891

1. Reaper wasn’t created to give us a place in PvE, in fact Gee was very specific that it shouldn’t be tied to an elite spec.
  2. Only our traits rely on chill being on the enemy to have an effect, and 3/4 of them are major so you’d only take them with proper chill application.
  3. Reaper has 6 ways to apply chill, hardly bad, and only Fear->Chill isn’t necessarily AoE, though almost all our Fear is AoE
  4. 20% Chill duration is 20% more chill, period. It doesn’t matter if it is applied over 2s applications or 20s ones, it is a 20% boost to a profession that has a lot of chill.

Fact is Reaper doesn’t really depend that heavily on chill, and in any build where the chill would be important you could very easily deal with it.

Regardless of what he said about what it shouldn’t be tied to, the feed back that lead them to make a melee necro/cleave build was from the forums bleeding cries of how necros lacked pve cleave. I’m pretty sure we all already know how ANET gets the majority of its inspiration for changes…forum balancing.

The reaper definitely is based on chill. 2/3 of our adept majors either directly or indirectly affects chill (the shout trait affects our ability to more frequently apply chill via shots, chilling nova is self explanatory). Both of our minors (that actually do anything) are 100% chill based. 1/3 of both our master tier and grandmaster teir majors are about chill. Yeah, they leave room to try dodging chill application..but you can’t get completely away from it as a reaper. I’d say that qualifies as being heavily based on chill since the majority of reaper traits are based around it…those are facts.

Yes, you are correct, the reaper has multiple ways to apply chill…so if you pick every utility, trait and weapon that can apply chill and constantly cycle between them…then yeah…the up time is undoubtedly decent. Thing is, it would be much better to be able to build for function, than to need to specifically focus on making sure to take almost everything that can apply chill. I know my mesmer does not even need to even pay attention at all to have high confusion up time….its just a side effect of any mesmer build. My guardian is going to have a similar experience with burning. Insert class X here for a similar experience…and they don’t have up keep issues. Hopefully the improvements he is making will fill in the gaps though…he seems pretty good about making good changes so far.

As far as the duration boost goes from cold shoulder…you can try to dismiss it all you want…basic math is still basic math. Basic math tells you that a percentage of a small number is still going to be a very small number. 20% of 2 seconds is only 0.4 seconds. So yeah…it definitely does look much better on paper than it is functionally. Who knows though…maybe with whatever other changes he is making to base durations…maybe that 20% will make some actual difference. Changing base durations or frequency of application are the only ways that 20% will actually be decent.

in Necromancer

Sigmoid.7082

The changes to RS#2 to make it land more reliably, to suffer so 0 cast time, GS #5 to land better, cast better and now do chill I think the reliability and reapplication should be pretty OK now along with the base duration changes. Made a list.

• Chilling scythe – 2.4s
  • Nightfall + chilling dark – 2.4s on a 20s cooldown
  • Reapers Grasp 4.8s on a 30s cooldown
  • Suffer – 3.6s on a 19.5 to 30s cooldown
  • Chilled to the bone – 9.6s on a 78 to 120s cooldown
  • Hydromancy- 2.4s on a 9s swap but weapon swap for some reason works on entering RS :/
  • Chilblains – 4.8s on a 16s cooldown
  • Reapers mark + Shivers of dread – 3.6s on a 32s cooldown
  • Deaths charge+Vital presistance + chilling dark – 2.4s on kitten cooldown
  • Terrify – 3.6s on a ~17s cooldown
  • Executioners scythe – 1.8s~9s on a 25.5s cooldown
  • Corrupting resistance – 3s
  • Ice field from RS#5 + RS#4 – 12 chilling bolts at 1.2s of chill each.
  • Chill of death and Spinal shivers – 6s on a 16~20s cooldown
  • Sigil of ice. 2.4s on a 10s cooldown
  • Chilling nova 2.4s on a 10s cooldown
  • Spectral grasp 4.4 ~ 7.2s on a 24 to30s cooldown
  • Spectral Wall causes 3.6s every fear it does
  • Corrupting Stability causes 3.6s of chill

Not all of these are in every build but most will be just as a by product of doing things because most are on weapon skills and commonly taken traits. Still should be fun to test next weekend to see exactly how well they all preform.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Don’t forget Nightfall lasts 8 seconds, so it can trigger Chilling Darkness twice.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

• Hydromancy- 2.4s on a 9s swap but weapon swap for some reason works on entering RS :/

And exiting, it should be noted. Means if you are good at timing you can basically never have to weapon swap and still proc weapon-swap sigils on CD.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Ravezaar.4951

If Robert Gee is reading this: is there anymore Updates or Changes then the listed that we will see in BWE2 ? since its bin a few weeks since u posted.

Tnx

Servant of Dhuum

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

If Robert Gee is reading this: is there anymore Updates or Changes then the listed that we will see in BWE2 ? since its bin a few weeks since u posted.

Tnx

He posted just yesterday. On the mesmer forums.

Don’t expect much in the way of direct replies because anytime a developer replies, he invites replies and a discussion from the players, which in turn takes away from him doing actual development.

At least he and Roy are the developers with most player communication.

in Necromancer

Sigmoid.7082

And exiting, it should be noted. Means if you are good at timing you can basically never have to weapon swap and still proc weapon-swap sigils on CD.

Im sure it may have been a bug though because for whatever reason wasnt reapers shroud using a different , static, weapon damage that counted as a hammer?Never the less i think this functionality should be added to base shroud as well because it allows for a lot of different play options.

Don’t forget Nightfall lasts 8 seconds, so it can trigger Chilling Darkness twice.

I never thought of this but true it is.

in Necromancer

Ravezaar.4951

I still wanna know what worries me and most other necs I play with why Reaper Shroud deplets so much faster ? cant just be the “Melee Factor” and this “DS-Bg” I dont buy either.

Servant of Dhuum

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

I still wanna know what worries me and most other necs I play with why Reaper Shroud deplets so much faster ? cant just be the “Melee Factor” and this “DS-Bg” I dont buy either.

It doesnt deplets faster. It has the same damage reduction that DS has (i tested it and i think bhawb also tested it so he should be able to verify) and it also loses LF at the same speed (untraited 4%, traited 2%).

It is most likely really the melee factor and that your RS4 doesnt give you lifeforce (or a bug i didnt encounter).