Reaper need reflect?

Reaper need reflect?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

Anyone else think we need a projectile reflect on reapers shroud 4? I know stuff is balanced around spvp but when it comes to roaming in wvw we would need a way to deal with projectiles in my opinion and a long whirl finisher would be a great place to put it imo.

Using the terrain only goes so far, I know there are a lot of bad longbow rangers out there but it doesn’t take a genious to know we don’t have anything to catch them with until we get close enough to use our chills.

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

Reaper need reflect?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Mechanically yes, I think we need reflects along with more stability (was hoping for the defiance bar) and a blast finisher on the GS.

Thematically stability fits with the “unstoppable horror monster” motif, but the blast finisher and reflects don’t exactly. Especially reflects as the movie monsters don’t reflect arrows and bullets, they just keep coming while getting slammed by them.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Reaper need reflect?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I wouldn’t put the reflect on the reaper. I’d put it on Spectral Wall, so it can also be accessed by the core class.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Reaper need reflect?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

I wouldn’t put the reflect on the reaper. I’d put it on Spectral Wall, so it can also be accessed by the core class.

Yes please!

Reaper need reflect?

in Necromancer

Posted by: SPESHAL.9106

SPESHAL.9106

The Reaper build looks like a strictly PvE playstyle.

It’s too early to say for sure, but, conceptually, the Reaper build would be too easy to counter in PvP…especially if you’re solo. You will have almost no gap closure and need to be within <600 range to do anything meaningful.

What’s also crazy is that many of the abilities and talents have multi-target aspects, but what cloth wearer with no escapes is going to get in close range of multiple PvPers. Remember that Life Force is the primary “defense” of Necros and it doesn’t scale with multiple people beating on you like immunities/stealth/invuln/etc.

We’ll see better in beta, but I think long cast times and close range abilities are more suited to fighting AI in PvE…than PvP.

If you can think of any cloth-wearing, long cast-time, melee build that is successful in any MMO for high-level PvP, I’m all ears.

This game already has a RANGED long cast time build (Kill Shot Warrior) which seems to do even MORE damage than the melee Reaper shown…yet it’s NEVER used in PvP and people actually laugh at you when you get hit with it.

Reaper need reflect?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

The Reaper build looks like a strictly PvE playstyle.

It’s too early to say for sure, but, conceptually, the Reaper build would be too easy to counter in PvP…especially if you’re solo. You will have almost no gap closure and need to be within <600 range to do anything meaningful.

What’s also crazy is that many of the abilities and talents have multi-target aspects, but what cloth wearer with no escapes is going to get in close range of multiple PvPers. Remember that Life Force is the primary “defense” of Necros and it doesn’t scale with multiple people beating on you like immunities/stealth/invuln/etc.

We’ll see better in beta, but I think long cast times and close range abilities are more suited to fighting AI in PvE…than PvP.

If you can think of any cloth-wearing, long cast-time, melee build that is successful in any MMO for high-level PvP, I’m all ears.

This game already has a RANGED long cast time build (Kill Shot Warrior) which seems to do even MORE damage than the melee Reaper shown…yet it’s NEVER used in PvP and people actually laugh at you when you get hit with it.

Seems you mistook this thread for a general “talk about Reaper” thread as I didn’t really see a response to the the actual topic. Don’t worry, it happens…

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Reaper need reflect?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

I agree with the above poster that it shouldn’t really be limited to the reaper.

If it were, I’d attach it to shroud #3 and instead of making it a front facing barrier attached to the player like others are getting, it would be a rear facing one to protect the reaper from attacks from people it’s not attacking.

Alternatively, simply having corrosive cloud or spectral wall block projectiles also works.,

Reaper need reflect?

in Necromancer

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

How about giving reflect on RS2, and projectile destruction on CPC, and increasing the cool down slightly to compensate, or scaling back CPC duration?

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Reaper need reflect?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Truefrost.6815

Truefrost.6815

I was hoping for a reflect aswell, we deeply need one but I agree on the putting a reflect on Spectral Wall.

Server: Yak’s Bend | Main: Aliah Raheim
Necro main since beta, MMO fanatic and avid beta tester.

Reaper need reflect?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Base necro needs it(projectile destruction) more cough cough CPC, reaper needs easier access to frost auras,pulls and off-topic needs.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Reaper need reflect?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

+1 to this.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Reaper need reflect?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Aktium.9506

Aktium.9506

Soul Spiral seems like a perfect candidate for getting Reflect added to it. It would be a 2s reflect on a 40s cooldown untraited.

Reaper need reflect?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Knox.8462

Knox.8462

Thematically reflect doesn’t make much sense on a necro. I’d be fine with projectile blocking though.

Reaper need reflect?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

Thematically reflect doesn’t make much sense on a necro. I’d be fine with projectile blocking though.

This ^.

The perfect candidates for it would be corrosive poison cloud, spectral wall & well of darkness.

The necro could also use some stability.

Personally I think the flesh golem should grant the necro stability with it’s activated ability.
At least then it would serve more use then standing around looking fugly while we get hit.

Reaper need reflect?

in Necromancer

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Ive always been fond of the necro being a sack of meat that takes a good pounding.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Reaper need reflect?

in Necromancer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Thats not really true.

“Use lifeforce to create a reflective barrier that returns hostile projectiles.”

Which could easily fit on spectral wall. Plus there is that necro style reflect already in game (Toxic Krait reflect bubble). And then CPC is the perfect candidate for a projectile block.

“The target area is enveloped in a noxious cloud that poisons foes, leaves them weakened and corrodes hostile projectiles.”

(edited by spoj.9672)

Reaper need reflect?

in Necromancer

Knox.8462

Thats not really true.

“Use lifeforce to create a reflective barrier that returns hostile projectiles.”

Yeah that’s a bit of stretch to make that fit the Necro theme.

Robert Gee made a point regarding Support that they don’t want to just give us what other classes have.

Eles/Engis reflect with magnetic fields, Guardians are all about barriers and Mesmers turn their enemies attacks against them.

Reaper need reflect?

in Necromancer

spoj.9672

Necromancers were all about turning enemy attacks against them and punishing them for attacking you in GW1. Reflect fits perfectly with that idea. Its an aggressive form of defence. And aggressive debuffing and magic is the very essence of the necro.

Anyway combo fields & finishers, active defence and projectile defence is something every class should have. They are core parts of the combat system. Necro is the one class that has a severe lack of multiple core aspects. And that is exactly why its so unpopular currently. They could give us loads of group buffing to improve the class but that would take away what the necro is. Unique debuffing is how they should do it and it keeps the class selfish while still benefitting the group.

They are addressing the issues in a very necro way. And i really like that approach. But they do still need to compromise on a few things. Such as giving us atleast 1 reliable blast finisher on a weapon. The option to trait for more active avoidance. And the ability to deal with projectiles as they are an incredibly abundant and powerful source of danger in GW2.

(edited by spoj.9672)

Reaper need reflect?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Talking rangers here; longbow rapid fire doesn’t bother me as much as the knock back simply because closing the 300 gap to use say staff could be done easily (albeit painfully). The problem is with the knock back in that even if I get to within range to use the staff I will get knocked back and have to start over giving the ranger time to get another rapid fire volley off.

There is no smart play here, it is just a slaughter with us being the main course. If they were to give us even one reflect we would have some defense against this, and even though it would not be on a weapon skill such as blocks it would promote smarter play. That is why spectral wall has my vote. Even if it does not reflect please anet make it block.

Reaper need reflect?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

There’s enough reflection in the game already! Esp. with Revenant coming. I like projectile resistance tho, sounds cool.

Rather have a block though and call it a day.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

Reaper need reflect?

in Necromancer

Knox.8462

Necromancers were all about turning enemy attacks against them and punishing them for attacking you in GW1. Reflect fits perfectly with that idea. Its an aggressive form of defensive. And aggressive debuffing and magic is the very essence of the necro.

Necro punishment was very different to Mesmer punishment. Necros specifically used curses to cause pain and body failure when attacking, whereas Mesmers actually caused enemy spells to fail and take damage. They caused enemy attacks to backfire.

A Necro corroding a projectile makes sense, but actually manipulating their trajectorys does not fit.

Reaper need reflect?

in Necromancer

spoj.9672

Its all semantics though. And they can manipulate the classes however they like. They have already done that extensively (current necro and mesmer are very different to their gw1 counterparts). My other points still stand. Its a necessary part of the core system.

Reaper need reflect?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Necromancers were all about turning enemy attacks against them and punishing them for attacking you in GW1. Reflect fits perfectly with that idea. Its an aggressive form of defensive. And aggressive debuffing and magic is the very essence of the necro.

I agree entirely. It is very much in line with the idea behind the original Spiteful Spirit in GW1. Plus the reflection mechanic is currently so insanely powerful against bosses, that it is crazy not to give all classes access to it in some way.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)