Reaper's Onslaught or Deathly Chill?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Oh My God.8423

Oh My God.8423

This is my general PvE (part-time www) condi build:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNArdWnMbCV2gtbCebCs3gliBLeHOER9EmC3qoAw3KBA-TBBZgA+q/ArEMUfAgyPA-e

Weapons and Armour will eventually be changed to Trailblazer’s once they fix the Mystic Forge receipt. (I know Viper/Sinister mixed does more damage but I am aiming to be more tanky at this stage.)

I think there have been discussions on whether Reaper’s Onslaught or Deathly Chill will be better for condi build in terms of damage. I can’t seem to find it any more. Could someone help me to find it or help me to decide which of the Grandmaster to take?

Thanks!

in Necromancer

Posted by: meow one twenty.4376

meow one twenty.4376

Deathly Chill seems to be the winner in all cases.

For a Condi build you lose DPS by using Shroud 1, and Deathly Chill will be ticking whether you are in Shroud or not.

Alright meow, where were we?

in Necromancer

Oh My God.8423

For a Condi build you lose DPS by using Shroud 1, and Deathly Chill will be ticking whether you are in Shroud or not.

Really? Oh, I kept thinking Dhuumfire is a good source of condi damage…

in Necromancer

Posted by: Maxzero.4032

Maxzero.4032

It’s not. It never was.

Why AA in shroud when you can AA with Scepter?

in Necromancer

Oh My God.8423

It’s not. It never was.

So… condi build does not really need to use shroud…

in Necromancer

Posted by: SoyMilk.4260

SoyMilk.4260

It’s not. It never was.

According to my math, Reaper AA (with Dhuumfire) does more dps than scepter AA in a condition build…

(edited by SoyMilk.4260)

in Necromancer

Oh My God.8423

To Shroud, or Not To Shroud…

in Necromancer

Posted by: Maxzero.4032

Maxzero.4032

It’s not. It never was.

According to my math, Reaper AA (with Dhuumfire) does more dps than scepter AA in a condition build…

That’s probably true but with Scepter you also have #2 and #3. You also have access to your offhand and utilities.

Add to that how do you generate the LF to stay in shroud for long periods of time as a condition build?

(edited by Maxzero.4032)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Javonovich.5280

Javonovich.5280

Depends on what kind of condi build you’re running. I’m running a burn condi build with sinister, dhuumfire, and balth runes, so I spam RS #1. With the might and vulnerability I cause, I get consistent burn ticks well over 4k without food. If I get quickness, ticks over 7k are trivially easy. Not to mention the raw damage from my autos. When I run out of life force, a few shouts plus a little greatsword play is often enough to fill the LF bar completely. For this build, I use reaper’s onslaught because deathly chill would give me less damage then the faster application of burn.

Now my friend uses a more all-purpose condi build. He still runs Dhuumfire, but he doesn’t spam RS #1, he spams scepter auto while waiting for his rotation cooldowns.

Honestly, I think I pull more dps with the caveat that I’m usually in melee range. Also, I’m more susceptible to CC because I use burn almost exclusively.

Another consideration about deathly chill is that you have to be the one to apply chill in order to get that damage. Once chill is overridden by an ally, your trait isn’t doing damage until you reapply it. So deathly chill gets substantially weaker in group fights.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Dhuumfire isn’t good damage. You can make it good damage, but in the same way you could have used the resources used making it good to make all your other conditions significantly better; it isn’t worth it to make dhuumfire good compared to what you lose. Dhuumfire really just makes it so that sitting in Shroud and spamming 1 doesn’t totally murder your condi DPS, and the rare occasion you are in a situation to cleave and Shroud 4 is down.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

I was thinking Dhuumfire’s DPS, based on how much damage you get out of it in the time it takes to cast the ability, was better as well initially. However, I don’t have the aftercast data on hand to know what the true rotation lengths are between RS #1 and Scepter #1, and with Scepter traited for 50% more condi duration, it does appear to provide more damage per cycle than Dhuumfire.

That was just a quick look at a build site and comparing some numbers, so it may be wrong in some way. I’m also not sure if you can theoretically gear for more burn duration to take Dhuumfire back over the edge, as I didn’t go too far with it.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in Necromancer

Posted by: zone.1073

zone.1073

The only reason why condi reapers get dhuumfire is to make shroud less useless to them, because in reality the condi reaper outputs much more pressure through weapons and utilities.

Shroud to a condi reaper is mostly a defensive cushion with some burst through #5 + #4 and then #1 dhuumfire. Without dhuumfire, 95% of the total amount of time spent in shroud would be useless.