Relentless Pursuit change suggestion

in Necromancer

Posted by: killfil.3472

killfil.3472

The Reaper trait “Relentless pursuit” seems much too situational to me, to the point where it can only rarely be useful.

I would suggest changing it so that it applies 4 seconds (or 3, depending which is considered more balanced) of resistance upon entering the Reaper’s shroud.

Anyone else has any good ideas to change it?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

As much as the forums likes to pretend that wvw is dead (yet it pulls more people at peak than pvp), Relentless pursuit is a godsend there. With condi reduction food and runes you can gain a complete immunity to snares. So I vote for no change at all.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

No change needed. It’s good as-is.

Lame in PvE, I will admit, but everywhere else?

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I thought we were talking about Reaper’s Onslaught for a minute and had a bit of a giggle.

Relentless Pursuit is a fine trait. If I wanted to buff it, I’d put at most a few seconds of Swiftness on it when entering DS, but it doesn’t need that at all.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in Necromancer

Lahmia.2193

I thought we were talking about Reaper’s Onslaught for a minute and had a bit of a giggle.

Relentless Pursuit is a fine trait. If I wanted to buff it, I’d put at most a few seconds of Swiftness on it when entering DS, but it doesn’t need that at all.

Maybe add +33% movement speed whilst wielding a Greatsword for the lolz.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

25-33% movement speed on top of the trait would make it good in PvE.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sigmoid.7082

Sigmoid.7082

Move speed traits are overly abundant on necro and unneeded.
There are currently 3, the dagger trait, speed of shadows and the signet.

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

A dagger you don’t use if you have access to greatsword and which necessitates blood traitline (and the trait itself is useless since lowered cooldown on dagger is pretty bad when the valuable part about dagger is its autoattack).

Speed of shadows which necessitates using the deficient reaper shroud, which is a DPS loss to simply camping greatsword (and competes with a more valuable trait), and a signet whose only use is in the passive.

Meanwhile, in the reaper traitline all the adept traits are pretty terrible for PvE so choosing Relentless Pursuit is nowhere near as large an opportunity cost.

in Necromancer

Sigmoid.7082

A dagger you don’t use if you have access to greatsword and which necessitates blood traitline (and the trait itself is useless since lowered cooldown on dagger is pretty bad when the valuable part about dagger is its autoattack).

Speed of shadows which necessitates using the deficient reaper shroud, which is a DPS loss to simply camping greatsword (and competes with a more valuable trait), and a signet whose only use is in the passive.

Meanwhile, in the reaper traitline all the adept traits are pretty terrible for PvE so choosing Relentless Pursuit is nowhere near as large an opportunity cost.

You miss the point. There is literally no need for there to be a 4th option to do the same thing. Doesnt matter what is meta or how effective this or that is point being if you need to get around faster you already have plenty of option already. To much redundancy and lack of uniqueness isn’t good.

In a group setting you will almost always have permanent swiftness which trumps all other options anyways.

Plus the trait is fine as it is. Its already one of the move powerful movement impairing condition reduction traits in the game.

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

Plus the trait is fine as it is. Its already one of the move powerful movement impairing condition reduction traits in the game.

Which is something you don’t need in PvE…because there’s very little source of movement reduction and whatever there is is quickly cleansed.

My suggestion for the speed boost is one of many. I’d love a DPS addition since Reaper as a tratiline is a steaming pile of garbage with no % damage modifiers and miserably bad traits, many of which are also redundant in group PvE play.

Part of the reason why power reaper is bad in PvE and condi reaper isn’t that much farther ahead.

in Necromancer

Lahmia.2193

Which is something you don’t need in PvE…because there’s very little source of movement reduction and whatever there is is quickly cleansed.

My suggestion for the speed boost is one of many. I’d love a DPS addition since Reaper as a tratiline is a steaming pile of garbage with no % damage modifiers and miserably bad traits, many of which are also redundant in group PvE play.

Part of the reason why power reaper is bad in PvE and condi reaper isn’t that much farther ahead.

How reaper didn’t get a +10% damage vs chilled foes, I do not know.

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

How reaper didn’t get a +10% damage vs chilled foes, I do not know.

The same terrible rationale that gave us the horribly useless Shivers of Dread minor trait.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

In PvE, just use Chilling Nova or Augury of Death. Both work well for Power builds.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

In PvE, just use Chilling Nova or Augury of Death. Both work well for Power builds.

Both work the least kittenty. They’re still garbage traits. Who the hell uses shouts in PvE anyways on a power build over wells and signet of spite.

Shouts have been terrible for PvE since we started complaining about them during the beta weekend events.

But it’s Robert Gee, and Robert Gee just like with the crappy mesmer interrupt traits designs for PvP first and PvE is an afterthought to him.

Chilling Nova despite just being useful during breakbar periods, which are tiny portions of a fight and whose procs are not exactly in your control, has been constantly nerfed as usual by sPvP centered balancing in this game.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Chilling Nova despite just being useful during breakbar periods, which are tiny portions of a fight and whose procs are not exactly in your control, has been constantly nerfed as usual by sPvP centered balancing in this game.

I am pretty sure it does damage, so it is also useful outside of breakbar periods…

Infact the extra damage is probably the reason you take it in the first place.

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

I am pretty sure it does damage, so it is also useful outside of breakbar periods…

The damage is pretty marginal. It’s like a power ranger taking the sharpened edges trait that causes bleed on crit because there’s no better option.

There’s a reason power reaper sucks so bad in PvE and condi reaper after the nerfs is lower middle of the pack.

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

The damage is pretty marginal. It’s like a power ranger taking the sharpened edges trait that causes bleed on crit because there’s no better option.

There’s a reason power reaper sucks so bad in PvE and condi reaper after the nerfs is lower middle of the pack.

Its actually more dps then the chill of death trait from the spite line and that trait is a master trait.

(edited by Muchacho.2390)

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

Its actually more dps then the chill of death trait from the spite line and that trait is a master trait.

Major, not master. And that is also a bad trait.

It’s a really poor idea to compare necromancer traits considering most of the traitlines have abysmal traits for the purposes of PvE DPS. The only good ones we have are the minor for % damage increase in soul reaping, and the 20% extra damage under 50% health.

Play a thief or ele and look for number of damage % or crit damage % increase traits and weep, on top of their much higher base weapon values.

It’s kinda outrageous how close vault is to gravedigger (and vault gets outdps’d by staff autoattacks anyways) and it’s a skill that can be chained 3 times in a row and has evasion frames and a built in leap while grave digger actually makes you vulnerable instead and has a ridiculous aftercast.

Warrior and Guardian greatswords also put out better DPS and more reliable burst on top of the massive group damage increase utility warrior brings to a group and the group defense/cc a guardian brings.

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

Well its a major master trait, so master isnt wrong^^

And no it isnt a bad trait. Its pretty good for pvp. And for pve it is still best in slot.

(edited by Muchacho.2390)

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

Well its a major master trait, so master isnt wrong^^

And no it isnt a bad trait. Its pretty good for pvp. And for pve it is still best in slot.

Best in slot because there are no good options is not really a ringing endorsement, is what I’m saying.

Best in slot doesn’t mean much when power necro isn’t even bothered to be included in the qT DPS benchmarks because it’s so utterly deficient.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Tell me what you think.

Reaper’s Onslaught reduces the cool down on Death’s Charge by 2 seconds for each movement impairment condition that expires in shroud (in addition to the current RO).

in Necromancer

Lahmia.2193

Tell me what you think.

Reaper’s Onslaught reduces the cool down on Death’s Charge by 2 seconds for each movement impairment condition that expires in shroud (in addition to the current RO).

I’d rather the current RO attack speed increase just effect greatsword in addition to its current effects. It may not make us a meta raid dps class but it may make greatsword more viable in other game modes.

in Necromancer

Anchoku.8142

Tell me what you think.

I’d rather the current RO attack speed increase just effect greatsword in addition to its current effects. It may not make us a meta raid dps class but it may make greatsword more viable in other game modes.

Maybe Relentless Pursuit + Reaper’s Onslaught could do more, together.

For increased greatsword speed, maybe add it to Deathly Chill. RO is shroud-focused.

No problem speeding up greatsword, though, just pulling ideas out of the bag.

(edited by Anchoku.8142)

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

Considering reaper shroud needs buffs as well for PvE, it does pathetic DPS despite being a resource you build up.

in Necromancer

Lahmia.2193

Tell me what you think.

For increased greatsword speed, maybe add it to Deathly Chill. RO is shroud-focused.

I just got the idea from speed boost mushrooms whilst mapping HoT with my greatsword and thought why not take the easy route and adapt RO so it includes GS in for the attack speed buff, rather than buffing a certain useless trait which has to compete with Decimate Defenses and Chilling Victory.

in Necromancer

Anchoku.8142

It is a good idea. I will take anything that will make greatsword good for more than blending trash mobs.

Maybe it will get buffed once a year until it socks less, like axe.

in Necromancer

Sigmoid.7082

Tell me what you think.

I just got the idea from speed boost mushrooms whilst mapping HoT with my greatsword and thought why not take the easy route and adapt RO so it includes GS in for the attack speed buff, rather than buffing a certain useless trait which has to compete with Decimate Defenses and Chilling Victory.

So add something more to a trait already taken instead of buffing the under preforming trait that is actually related to the weapon and meaning you have to sacrifice something between 3 now valid choices ? Sure…

in Necromancer

Lahmia.2193

Tell me what you think.

So add something more to a trait already taken instead of buffing the under preforming trait that is actually related to the weapon and meaning you have to sacrifice something between 3 now valid choices ? Sure…

My original idea did involve reverting Soul Eater to its old beta form (because small life steal across all attacks is better than life steal tied to 1 attack) but with the 20% cooldown reduction instead of the gravedigger 3%, and to include the 10 or 15% increased attack speed on greatsword.
I’d be very happy with either of my suggested changes, but the RO change is just that much more simple.

in Necromancer

Posted by: DuckDuckBOOM.4097

DuckDuckBOOM.4097

Having RO give 15% attack speed to everything wouldn’t actually buff raid Reaper. Similar increased attack speed traits from warrior and mesmer don’t stack with quickness.

There is that “balance problem” of Necros are “tanky” and shouldn’t be able to do as much as squishy classes. I don’t personally believe that it should hold the class back but this idea is exacerbated by two traits that give 50% crit chance which frees up a stat to be vitality instead of precision.

GS trait do 10% more damage and 20% CD while wielding a GS.
Dhuumfire also gives 10% more damage to burning targets on top of burn on RS/DS1.

Both would be mutually exclusive with the 50% crit chance traits which would force max power DPS to go full berserker. PvE raid DPS has burning from other classes. PvP/WvW Dhuumfire goes with a hybrid amulet like carrion. 50% crit chance traits still remain a viable alternative in open world and PvP.

21% more damage to 27k = ~32.7k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4sXFsow6rM&feature=youtu.be
And this is outdated as there were more GS buffs? and I vaguely recall hearing 28k for power reaper? So the numbers should be ~34k? That puts it at a pretty competitive spot against qT benchmarks, especially given how easy the rotation is. Not fair to call Chilling Nova and Chill of Death worthless when all it takes is 2×10% modifiers to make power reaper worthwhile.

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

Having RO give 15% attack speed to everything wouldn’t actually buff raid Reaper. Similar increased attack speed traits from warrior and mesmer don’t stack with quickness.

There is that “balance problem” of Necros are “tanky” and shouldn’t be able to do as much as squishy classes. I don’t personally believe that it should hold the class back but this idea is exacerbated by two traits that give 50% crit chance which frees up a stat to be vitality instead of precision.

Dhuumfire also gives 10% more damage to burning targets on top of burn on RS/DS1.

Both would be mutually exclusive with the 50% crit chance traits which would force max power DPS to go full berserker. PvE raid DPS has burning from other classes. PvP/WvW Dhuumfire goes with a hybrid amulet like carrion. 50% crit chance traits still remain a viable alternative in open world and PvP.

And this is outdated as there were more GS buffs? and I vaguely recall hearing 28k for power reaper? So the numbers should be ~34k? That puts it at a pretty competitive spot against qT benchmarks, especially given how easy the rotation is. Not fair to call Chilling Nova and Chill of Death worthless when all it takes is 2×10% modifiers to make power reaper worthwhile.

Necromancer is no more tanky than warrior or revenant.

They’re the easiest targets to train down by far because their self healing sucks and all death shroud does is delay the inevitable while also nerfing your damage and denying you access to utilities.

in Necromancer

Lahmia.2193

Snip

I’d be very happy with this. I just suggested attack speed since it is the most common complaint about Greatsword. I’d still want life steal from soul eater though, since every other Greatsword trait has 3 buffs (usually +x% damage, cooldown reduction and 1 special extra). I feel naked without any life steal to sustain me.

in Necromancer

DuckDuckBOOM.4097

Necromancer is no more tanky than warrior or revenant.

They’re the easiest targets to train down by far because their self healing sucks and all death shroud does is delay the inevitable while also nerfing your damage and denying you access to utilities.

What part of my post made it sound like I personally was ranting about Necro tankiness, especially in PvP? I am very much aware that Necros can get demolished when focused. I solo q to plat on a deadshot amy reaper.

That doesn’t change the fact that 50% crit chance is equivalent to 1050 precision which winds up being 9600 more health on a high base health Valk necro which you want to fill a DPS role. 10% dmg being mutually exclusive with that trait isn’t unreasonable.

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

Not really, because my revenant or warrior with their heal can turn their effective HP to 10k+ damage from a boss attack absorbed so they can ignore mechanics as well.

Other classes have ways to amp up their effective health pool far better than necro can.

Greater health pool doesn’t matter in PvE since everything can be avoided by dodging and whatever can’t be dodged, a druid or staff water ele will heal back up.

It is truly a meaningless penalty on the class.

I mean, my revenant with roiling mists gets an extra 20% crit chance from fury and that trait does not compete with dps in that traitline.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

in Necromancer

DuckDuckBOOM.4097

Power reaper does fine for solo DPS when it can stack 25 might and vuln by itself while shroud is easy to flash to block damage and has 50% damage reduction on top of rise bringing another 33%. But that’s not what happens in organized group content and that’s the point of buffing Reaper GS DPS. It’s the raid DPS that sucks. So why are you bringing up a heal that warriors don’t use in raids?

Greater health pool doesn’t matter in PvE since everything can be avoided by dodging and whatever can’t be dodged, a druid or staff water ele will heal back up.

If greater health pool doesn’t matter then what is the problem with buffing two traits that puts power reaper in a good spot but requires berserker/assassins gear like every other power DPS class?

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

Power reaper does fine for solo DPS when it can stack 25 might and vuln by itself while shroud is easy to flash to block damage and has 50% damage reduction on top of rise bringing another 33%. But that’s not what happens in organized group content and that’s the point of buffing Reaper GS DPS. It’s the raid DPS that sucks. So why are you bringing up a heal that warriors don’t use in raids?

If greater health pool doesn’t matter then what is the problem with buffing two traits that puts power reaper in a good spot but requires berserker/assassins gear like every other power DPS class?

Power reaper already requires berk/assassin gear.

Really, any idiot who thinks power necro runs valkyrie on raids is clueless. You will NEVER have fury/vulnerability/spotter at all times, especially with pugs and especially in 5 man dungeons compared to raids. Even in a raid there will be moments where these buffs will fall off.

It’s why DPS benchmarks are done also with realistic settings and not only ideal ones.

The extra crit on vulnerability is a safety net.

You don’t see revenants running valkyrie because they get 20% more crit from fury with roiling mists trait.

Running anything other than zerker/assassins for a power build will always be a DPS loss in realistic scenarios.

in Necromancer

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Considering reaper shroud needs buffs as well for PvE, it does pathetic DPS despite being a resource you build up.

This is the very same justification behind why the thief got its asinine AA damage buffs, however. It’s also worth mentioning that before these buffs, the necromancer dagger AA chain did more damage than the thief could on its; the thief’s damage was bumped solely for raid viability because it literally served absolutely no purpose in PvE and was still in general pretty bad in PvP considering how low everyone’s cooldowns are with HoT which largely invalidates initiative.

More things just need to be toned down, with some weak areas of the necromancer needing a little bit of revision. Honestly, as far as PvE goes, I don’t think the necromancer in general can be balanced well due to shroud providing so much extra durability while yet it also fails to let the profession tank and doesn’t regen.

The thing is, Relentless Pursuit and such traits may not be amazing for PvE, and that’s fine. Different traits will have different strengths in different environments, which is kind of the point behind them. RP’s an amazing ability in WvW and sPvP, for example, while Nova is considered mediocre, and DM works wonders in larger-scale combat in WvW due to its extremely potent defensive options whereas BM isn’t sought after except on core necro since Transfusion has almost no value when on the front lines as a reaper being in melee, since it’ll pull downs into damage.

If they were to buff it, I’d probably just say adding 25% movespeed on top of its existing effects would be the way to go. sPvP condi bunker can still succeed with Nova, and while very redundant, it does help necro out in WvW by removing the need to spec SotL for chase potential and general mobility deemed so essential in the mode.

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

This is the very same justification behind why the thief got its asinine AA damage buffs, however. It’s also worth mentioning that before these buffs, the necromancer dagger AA chain did more damage than the thief could on its; the thief’s damage was bumped solely for raid viability because it literally served absolutely no purpose in PvE and was still in general pretty bad in PvP considering how low everyone’s cooldowns are with HoT which largely invalidates initiative.

More things just need to be toned down, with some weak areas of the necromancer needing a little bit of revision. Honestly, as far as PvE goes, I don’t think the necromancer in general can be balanced well due to shroud providing so much extra durability while yet it also fails to let the profession tank and doesn’t regen.

The thing is, Relentless Pursuit and such traits may not be amazing for PvE, and that’s fine. Different traits will have different strengths in different environments, which is kind of the point behind them. RP’s an amazing ability in WvW and sPvP, for example, while Nova is considered mediocre, and DM works wonders in larger-scale combat in WvW due to its extremely potent defensive options whereas BM isn’t sought after except on core necro since Transfusion has almost no value when on the front lines as a reaper being in melee, since it’ll pull downs into damage.

If they were to buff it, I’d probably just say adding 25% movespeed on top of its existing effects would be the way to go. sPvP condi bunker can still succeed with Nova, and while very redundant, it does help necro out in WvW by removing the need to spec SotL for chase potential and general mobility deemed so essential in the mode.

Necro dagger aa did more damage than thief AA because thief had cloak and dagger plus backstab to make a far superior dagger PvE DPS rotation.

And thief autos were not buffed for PvE. They were buffed because thieves were whining about relying on backstab to do damage in pvp and how that prevented them from using their utility initiative spenders.

Lo and behold, they can now spam headshot and autoattack things to death.

This game needs pvp/pve split balance, to hell with balancing around spvp all the time.

in Necromancer

Anchoku.8142

Yes, a split is the only good option and it is all Necromancer’s fault for being different.