Renewing Blast - Broken/Disfunctional?

in Necromancer

Posted by: OmegaProject.9831

OmegaProject.9831

Good day everyone! After some very (minor) testing, it seems that Renewing Blast (Life Blast heals allies it passes through) has a horrendously awkward hitbox for allies. Allow me to share, briefly, what I have gathered:

Very Brief Testing:
Location: In the Mists at the herd of golems to ensure prolonged combat.

Hypothesis: Renewing Blast procs most when it passes through the “base” of a Patient (i.e.: legs-area). Contact with other parts of the Patient yields rare success.

Testing Method: Patient hits a golem, jumps off ledge to self-inflict damage and remains in combat. I (Caster) then target a golem between Patient and myself to test Renewing Blast. Unyielding Blast was not traited.Quick results are as follows:

Caster, Patient, Foe are on the same height:
Minimal-to-No proccing of Renewing Blast. Life Blast clearly passed through Patient. There were rare procs, but this happened when patient was behind the caster. It could be that the hit box for LB (Life Blast) moves from the base of the Caster to the base of the Foe.

Caster and Foe on the same level, Patient on raised terrain:
Frequent, constant proccing of Renewing Blast. No real issues where had.

Caster on highest ground, Patient on middle ground, Foe on lower ground (“severe” height differences – used staircase instead of mounds):
Minimal-to-No proccing of Renewing Blast. The blast clearly passed through the center of the torso of the Patient with no results.

Caster on high ground, Patient and Target on Low Ground:
Decent proccing of Renewing Blast (I think, I didn’t write down details – needs more testing). Blast passed through the upper torso of the target.

These were really, REALLY brief tests of the skill (~10 min). I intend to record this incident later this weekend, should time allow. Please share your stories/anecdotes concerning this skill.

Personal Story/Anecdote:

• Used it in PvP to heal an ally stomping a foe. Ally and myself were on nearly even grounds, foe was part way down a staircase. Blast passed through allies legs/base.
  • Used Renewing Blast during a Teq run (as a test). Procs were incredibly rare, but that may be due to Renewing Blast only “checking” the first 3-5 individuals hit, and if they’re at full health, the attack no longer heals. However, since this is Teq, I doubt many were at full health.

Personal Verdict – Needs more testing. As of now, this trait is not good due to its unpredictable nature. My recommendation: Avoid it.

Have a nice day!

PS: This trait’s bizarre behavior shouldn’t come as much of a surprise considering how Necrotic Grasp and Deathly Claws behave. Regardless, I look forward to your thoughts and opinions!

(edited by OmegaProject.9831)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

10/10 Anet, as always. I hope all of you who rolled Norn Necros for WvW have an Asura backup :P

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

OmegaProject.9831

Lol, very nice, Bhawb XD

Funny thing is, I was an Asura and the Patient was a Charr with one of the largest model sizes (which made it a bit difficult to gain an accurate reading of truly where the blast hit). Of course, we know know that races/sizes make no difference, but the imagery is quite funny!

By any chance, have you been able to test this trait? You have demonstrated that you have a stronger understanding of the game’s mechanics than I do, so I would like any input you have to offer.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

I haven’t had a chance no, although if its still in question I’ll try it out tomorrow after lab.

Chances are though you’re correct; linear projectiles get LoS’d if they cannot “see” foot to foot (example is sieging in WvW, where defenders often need to stand at the very edge to hit people below with projectiles, but are also immune to pretty much anything, even the attacks hitting them in the face, if they don’t). In this case I imagine that since the blast originates and ends around your torso (and that of the target), instead of being at the ground, that its simply passing over the hitbox of the intended recipient of the healing. So while obviously passing through the character model, as far as the game is concerned it isn’t meeting the projectile requirements to hit.

Not that surprising, given ANet’s record, but sad nonetheless. Rennoko’s idea to just make it a “splash” around the target could easily fix this, but then again that is far too logical.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Unyielding Blast makes it better. This trait has some hidden values as some time ago I made tests and it was increasing the radius of hit and following the target a little bit better.

My advice – Slot UB and try it again, then post results. I’m curious.

Btw, how do you find the new GM trait ?

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Necromancer

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

Just dont buy it.

Its a good protest if youre not giving them the gold sink, +they have lots of idiots who just read numbers on what the casual crowds are randomly buying, which will confuse them that ppl are actualy liking it.

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in Necromancer

Posted by: Spoj The Second.7680

Spoj The Second.7680

Player hitboxes are all exactly the same size no matter what race they are.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I’m still waiting for Temple of Lyssa to be lost so I can get the trait. I refuse to buy them (since I’m still saving for my precursor).

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cicatrix.6149

Cicatrix.6149

I tested it out on every boss in the new Megaserver schedule, and it rarely ever healed anyone (as in, no one at all). Even with a massive amount of people meleeing the bosses while taking damage, still… nothing. It has to be utterly broken.

Also, with 404 healing power, mine only hit for 527 the few times it did hit someone. That’s it. 527. How is this even a Grandmaster trait? When not stacking healing power (because seriously, who does that?), I feel it should hit for at least 700-800 for it to be worth picking up. That is, if it even worked.

Edit: I do have Unyielding Blast traited as well.

(edited by Cicatrix.6149)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rennoko.5731

Rennoko.5731

It needs to be an AOE around the enemy target of 180 radius, end of story. Then it would be good to heal people in PvP and PvE who are meleeing a target.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

I’ll be interested to hear how UB modified its behavior. I actually didn’t know some of the details Bhawb mentioned about projectiles, but it DOES explain a few oddities I’ve seen at times when manually aiming LB.

I know this is going to sound awkward and non-ideal, but what if you manually aim the LB to try to hit your allies more consistently instead of relying on having a target? If the hitbox is silly, you can try to accommodate for the silliness, and it removes a variable (your target) from the equation giving you more freedom of movement. The downside is that you aren’t applying LB pressure to the target, but if the heal was high enough, it could provide enough benefit to still use like this.

I still like Rennoko’s idea the most, but if that isn’t going to be the case, perhaps it could find use with a little extra finesse.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in Necromancer

Posted by: Elvahaduken.3609

Elvahaduken.3609

sad thing is i made a post about this saying this was how kitten it was going to be, and guess what ….. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry at how pathetic this trait really is.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/balance/Necromancer-new-soul-reaping-grandmaster/first#post3797233

Klaus Night (Necro)/ Elvahaduken (Engi) [TaG] Gunnars Hold

in Necromancer

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I just tested the trait in Heart of the Mists. Seems extremely reliable to me.

Tested both with and without Unyielding Blast. In both cases, it worked perfectly.

As a side note, with sPvP Cleric’s amulet and nothing in blood magic (or boosting runes, or points in spite), it’s heal is 760 per blast. It scales very well with healing power.

I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

OmegaProject.9831

Drarnor: Did you have Unyielding Blast traited? My tests did not include it (control tests), but I suspect Unyielding Blast would improve the projectile’s “behavior” and hitbox. Regardless, thank you for your additional information! It does scale well, and I was getting 1k+ with it in PvP. I just would have hoped that it would be ‘easier’ to hit allies with.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rennoko.5731

Rennoko.5731

I agree it works well with no target… but with no target you are going to be hitting people very infrequently unless it is blob on blob… so even if you got it up to 1000 per shot, how practical is it for you to devote time to doing that in a group….. I guess if it was coordinated kind of like a water field recovery, but it just seems like a lot of work to do something that could be done with hammers and elementalist much easier.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

It technically heals for a lot, when you consider it can heal multiple people (technically) on a 1s CD. The issue isn’kittens healing, its the lack of hitting.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor: Did you have Unyielding Blast traited?

I just tested the trait in Heart of the Mists. Seems extremely reliable to me.

Tested both with and without Unyielding Blast. In both cases, it worked perfectly.

I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

I’ve messed up a bit with builds, new sigils and runes and made a cleric necro. Went for the Teq. Suprisingly, it heals veery good. With Monk runes, benevolence sigils and around 1600 healing power I can honestly say that this freaking thing was healing for about 1600 frequently with slotted UB, not to mention other heals

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

Healing Necro heals for more than any other build in the game. Assuming this trait can be aimed properly it’d be a pretty crazy boost.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Furienify.5738

Furienify.5738

Come on. There’s no reason this shouldn’t be healing. :s

Attachments:

in Necromancer

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

You certain you have the trait equipped?

I tested it with the practice NPC’s, using both Flesh Golem and another player as healing targets, both with and without Unyielding Blast. 100% of the time, it worked perfectly.

I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: manveruppd.7601

manveruppd.7601

It doesn’t look like your pet is lined up with you and your target properly there.

A bad necromancer always blames the corpse.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Furienify.5738

Furienify.5738

Am I doing it right?

(I know my screenshot quality doesn’t help, but I’ve tried just about every position and angle with no success. I haven’t tested outside of these golem NPCs in Heart of the Mists.)

I thought it might be because HotM is a PvE zone for whatever reason, but my regular Hero tab shows me running Renewing Blast as well.

Attachments:

(edited by Furienify.5738)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Klinch.2964

Klinch.2964

Yeah this skill is definitely unreliable/bugged. Many times when the life blast clearly goes through an ally, they don’t get healed.